Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Texans' QB Situation

RollerColt

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, krunk said:

Made enough solid throws to put Brock on the bench during a playoff run.

How far did he make it?? Who started that playoff game?

Are you a Pitt alum?   Savage has shown nothing more than backup quality

21 minutes ago, krunk said:

Don't matter.  He's won with them so he's not screwed. Bring in a guy from the draft to add depth and they'll be alright.   Savage can play, he's no superstar he can get the job done.  I can't see Kaepernick working out, and they have no interest in Cutler.

Brock won games as well for the Texans.  You see where he is now

9 hours ago, aaron11 said:

you didnt mention the draft, there is a good chance one of the top QBs will fall to them

it may not be an immediate starter, but they could develop one of those guys into an nfl starter

they could be a very good team with at least an average QB

Bill O'Chinholerien has been doing such a good job of developing QBs that this most certainly is the way to go.

7 hours ago, will426 said:

Aww don't bring up the kneeling of the anthem thing ^ it's not mandatory nor a law so who cares  lol 

"That kneeling thing" as you put it has benefitted those that chose to kneel in what way? I anxiously await your reply. Also, add spell check to your Word program.

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Pretty ignorant post at its conclusion.  Congrats

Speaking of ignorant, you need to insert an apostrophe between the "t" and the "s". If you can't spell there are spell checking programs for kids you can try.

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

"That kneeling thing" as you put it has benefitted those that chose to kneel in what way? I anxiously await your reply. Also, add spell check to your Word program.

Lol for 1 I could care less if it helped him or not he kneeled for what he felt was right get over it and also could also care less about speaking so properly on the internet you're judgment of me doesn't concern me I'll laugh at you either way :)

9 hours ago, King Colt said:

Speaking of ignorant, you need to insert an apostrophe between the "t" and the "s". If you can't spell there are spell checking programs for kids you can try.

I hate to break it to you, but that is incorrect. An apostrophe is used to show possession.  The correct grammar is indeed: congrats. 

20 hours ago, RollerColt said:

The Texans made a daring move to trade their multi-million dollar mistake in the hopes of wooing a franchise QB to their cause, only to go up in flames today as he announced retirement.

Their options now:

An erratic Jay Culter?

A teamless Colin Kaepernick?

Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden?

Or more interesting, what if they decide to grab Brock back after the Browns release him? :lol: 

I'd probably just sign Cutler on a 2 or 3 yr deal, then look to draft a QB in the 2nd round and coach him up for a year or two...Cutler sucks and all but he's better than what they had last year and should still give them a chance to make the playoffs with that d.

12 hours ago, krunk said:

That's not a lot of attempts. Especially with most of them coming from stepping into a game at the last minute.   People said a lot of the same stuff about Garapollo.  He looked like trash the couple times I saw him play I didn't think Jimmy G was anybody worth talking about.  Once he had to be the starter and they allowed him to prepare properly he looked much better.   I think Savage has the tools.  I fully expect them to draft someone of course, but most of these QBs in this draft are not ready to play Day 1.

With Houston having such a solid team besides QB, I think their time is now and they should get the best QB they can, even if it is Cutler.   Just be sure to sign him to a short contract.

1 hour ago, James Ducheteau said:

I'd probably just sign Cutler on a 2 or 3 yr deal, then look to draft a QB in the 2nd round and coach him up for a year or two...Cutler sucks and all but he's better than what they had last year and should still give them a chance to make the playoffs with that d.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

With Houston having such a solid team besides QB, I think their time is now and they should get the best QB they can, even if it is Cutler.   Just be sure to sign him to a short contract.

It's true. Houston should be in a "win now" mode. We're hopefully going to get a lot better in the defense department, and to be honest the Titans are knocking on the door as well with a nice balanced team. 

20 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It's true. Houston should be in a "win now" mode. We're hopefully going to get a lot better in the defense department, and to be honest the Titans are knocking on the door as well with a nice balanced team. 

The division is looking to break free from the worst in the NFL.  

32 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

I guess this may be their best route, IF, Bill O'Brien's system is similar to that of Adam Gase.  But O'Brien is used to Tom Brady / Josh McDaniels 'check with me' tpye system, and altered more each game.

Then I'd take Trubiskey and groom him like Elway is doing to Paxton Lynch.  Throw those guys out there too soon, you'll ruin them.  Get them acclimated to the game and system, they have potential.  Most notably Lynch.

36 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Now that the Jags have Tom Coughlin in a prominent position, they will soon get their talent to learn how to win, just as they grow into  their prime.  AFC South could be a real knock down drag out conference soon.

13 hours ago, Jules said:

I think they should have given Brock another year to see if he could improve. Not a popular opinion but I don't see how Brock could get any worse.

So you think keep him as he might be bad instead of terrible ?  He also reportedly had a serious "blowout" with O'Brien and they soured on B.O. even more after that. 

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Perhaps they are willing to give up that first rd pick Cleveland won't for Jimmy G. They gotta be desperate.

That's what I'm thinking.   Lord I hope not.  Makes both the pats and Texans better

22 hours ago, King Colt said:

You should probably concentrate on not being a bigot publicly.  Then move on to being better at  your grammer police career

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Perhaps they are willing to give up that first rd pick Cleveland won't for Jimmy G. They gotta be desperate.

Jimmy G. knows Bill O'Brien's system...  as he was an offensive assistant for the Patriots in 2007. He then served as wide receivers coach in 2008, quarterbacks coach from 2009 to 2010 and officially became the offensive coordinator for one season in 2011.

Texans pulling off a draft day trade with the Pats for Jimmy G isn't totally whack... IMO. You never know...

22 hours ago, King Colt said:

No.    It is spelled correctly.     No apostrophe is needed.

Congrats is a contraction of congratulations.     What JVan wrote is correct.

33 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

23 hours ago, King Colt said:

You should probably concentrate on not being a bigot publicly.  Then move on to being better at  your grammer police career

OK, this off topic blather needs to be taken to PM, please.  Otherwise I get my Huge magic eraser out...

I didn't see this until I was reading / finding posts to respond to.  I bet no other mods have even read the thread as of yet. You always have the Report Post option to flag a moderator more quickly, if necessary.

I could go in and edit out controversial material, but I'd rather it just stop, or be hashed out in private messages.  But if forced, I see the eraser, and hammer over there in the corner... but believe it or not, using them is not a desired function of the mod team. But it's sometimes a necessity.

Whoever they bring in is bound to struggle due to O'Brien's scheme. He ran Brock in the same spread scheme that he ran Hoyer in and they both failed. 

Houston just needs a decent quarterback and maybe a better offensive minded coach and they would be ready for a deep playoff run with a healthy defense. 

On 4/4/2017 at 8:12 PM, Jules said:

I think they should have given Brock another year to see if he could improve. Not a popular opinion but I don't see how Brock could get any worse.

I liked Brock but I think his problem was running in that offensive scheme. I don't know why Houston demands to be a pass happy offense. They have a decent running game and Brock did look good from time to time when they had an established run and a balanced offense. Brock seemed like a game manager QB from his days in Denver, and O'Brien just threw him out there with that college offense thinking he could become a top passer overnight. He ran the same offense that Hoyer looked like trash in. 

I've never believed in O'Brien being the answer at head coach there. Romeo Crennel has proven he can be a better defensive coordinator than head coach, since he made it work all last year without JJ Watt. I'm still expecting Houston's defense to be a strong force next season. 

Brock and Matt Flynn and Chase Daniel should all buddy up and start a club together. They can call themselves the "Backup quarterbacks that got paid". lmao

On 4/4/2017 at 8:32 AM, Colts_Fan12 said:

They will draft one and a good one will probably fall to them

All the QBs in this class are gonna be developmental projects, all of them likeley need a fair amount work before they are ready to be starters. And so far the Texans haven't shown much in the way of QB development. Their best shot might be hoping they can land Rosen in the coming year or two.

Most everyone is saying all the QBs in the draft are not ready to start in the NFL but really no one knows.

I think Tony Romo just got replaced by a rookie and Prescott has done OK. Prescott was drafted in the 4th round so assuming QBs coming out of college can't start in the NFL is a thing of the past.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Most everyone is saying all the QBs in the draft are not ready to start in the NFL but really no one knows.

I think Tony Romo just got replaced by a rookie and Prescott has done OK. Prescott was drafted in the 4th round so assuming QBs coming out of college can't start in the NFL is a thing of the past.

Prescott is not a good case study because of the incredible offensive line he had.    He's good, but his numbers are not all him.   You just have to look at the sum of recent history of rookie QB's.   The stats aren't great if you have a team ready to win now.  

8 hours ago, Synthetic said:

I liked Brock but I think his problem was running in that offensive scheme. I don't know why Houston demands to be a pass happy offense. They have a decent running game and Brock did look good from time to time when they had an established run and a balanced offense. Brock seemed like a game manager QB from his days in Denver, and O'Brien just threw him out there with that college offense thinking he could become a top passer overnight. He ran the same offense that Hoyer looked like trash in. 

If using the Hoyer example is what is needed, then we should compare 1 year of Hoyer in Houston to 1 year of Brock in Houston:

Hoyer - 61% completions, 19 TD's vs 7 INT's, 91.4 rating

Brock - 59% completions, 15 TD's vs 16 INT's, 72.2 rating

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Prescott is not a good case study because of the incredible offensive line he had.    He's good, but his numbers are not all him.   You just have to look at the sum of recent history of rookie QB's.   The stats aren't great if you have a team ready to win now.  

I think maybe you are undervaluing Prescott. Any QB who throws for 3,667 yards, with 23 TDs is better than quite a few long time veterans.  He also had a passer rating of 104.9. He also rushed for 6 TDs and rushed for 21 first downs. I seem to think Wilson don't pretty good as a rookie too.

A rookie QB sure has a better chance to win with a team ready to win verses one that is not.

29 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think maybe you are undervaluing Prescott. Any QB who throws for 3,667 yards, with 23 TDs is better than quite a few long time veterans.  He also had a passer rating of 104.9. He also rushed for 6 TDs and rushed for 21 first downs. I seem to think Wilson don't pretty good as a rookie too.

A rookie QB sure has a better chance to win with a team ready to win verses one that is not.

Prescott and Wilson are not the norm though.   Teams know that usually you have to expect the first year to be a waste.   Houston has a window closing quickly, they need to bring in a vet and draft a QB.

Prescott would not have had the season he did on any other team.   Don't get me wrong, he is very good and will be a top 10 QB in the league for a decade.

Houstons best bet for success would be to sign Cutler to a short term deal.

I almost puked a little while writing that.

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

Prescott and Wilson are not the norm though.   Teams know that usually you have to expect to the first year to be a waste.   Houston has a window closing quickly, they need to bring in a vet and draft a QB.

Prescott would not have had the season he did on any other team.   Don't get me wrong, he is very good and will be a top 10 QB in the league for a decade.

Houstons best bet for success would be to sign Cutler to a short term deal.

I almost puked a little while writing that.

I would like for Houston to sign Cutler. Their chances of winning would go down IMO.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I don't think Kaep is a good fit in Houston. 

Probably better than any other option they have unless they want to chance the injury prone Jay Cutler. At least with Kaep they can get him running for extra yardage.