Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Texans' QB Situation

RollerColt

The Texans made a daring move to trade their multi-million dollar mistake in the hopes of wooing a franchise QB to their cause, only to go up in flames today as he announced retirement.

Their options now:

An erratic Jay Culter?

A teamless Colin Kaepernick?

Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden?

Or more interesting, what if they decide to grab Brock back after the Browns release him? :lol: 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you didnt mention the draft, there is a good chance one of the top QBs will fall to them

it may not be an immediate starter, but they could develop one of those guys into an nfl starter

they could be a very good team with at least an average QB

Since using their franchise' first ever pick on David Carr, the Texans have drafted zero QBs in the first 2 rounds. One in the 3rd round and that was back in 2003. One in the 4th round, Tom Savage.

No one wonder it's an issue. It's like they are allergic to drafting QBs high and instead opt to use retreads there (KC too).

Too bad Derek Carr's last name is Carr and he wasn't an option for them, lol.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

They will draft one and a good one will probably fall to them

Pretty weak QB class and there are 5 teams that need a QB . Cleveland , SF , Chicago , Jets , AZ and maybe even the Giants as they figure Manning is nearing the end. Most of these teams would probably look to trade down as where they draft now might be too high for a QB. I think they are going to have to hope Savage works or they are in a bit of a quandary . 

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Pretty weak QB class and there are 5 teams that need a QB . Cleveland , SF , Chicago , Jets , AZ and maybe even the Giants as they figure Manning is nearing the end. Most of these teams would probably look to trade down as where they draft now might be too high for a QB. I think they are going to have to hope Savage works or they are in a bit of a quandary . 

they wont all draft QBs in the first though.  its pretty unlikely for the niners and bears, if they do trade back and take one it means somebody else on the list wont do it

texans could also trade up to get one too.  im hoping they dont find their guy, but if i were them it would be priority number one

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I doubt any of them go QB in the 1st besides the Jets and maybe Cleavland the others will have way better value taking a player on D 

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

The Texans made a daring move to trade their multi-million dollar mistake in the hopes of wooing a franchise QB to their cause, only to go up in flames today as he announced retirement.

Their options now:

An erratic Jay Culter?

A teamless Colin Kaepernick?

Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden?

Or more interesting, what if they decide to grab Brock back after the Browns release him? :lol: 

I think they will trade up for a first round pick and snag a QB because they only have a choice. I think the Texans never believed he would ever leave the city of Dallas playing or not so this is probably not a shock to their plans. Kapernick will never wear a Texans uniform because we stand for our national anthem. Always have and always will. LGBT in Texas means "Loaded Guns, Bacon and Taters".

39 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I think they will trade up for a first round pick and snag a QB because they only have a choice. I think the Texans never believed he would ever leave the city of Dallas playing or not so this is probably not a shock to their plans. Kapernick will never wear a Texans uniform because we stand for our national anthem. Always have and always will. LGBT in Texas means "Loaded Guns, Bacon and Taters".

:worms::sigh:

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Pretty ignorant post at its conclusion.  Congrats

Meh.....they will still be much better at that position this year as compared to last with what they have on the roster right now, before even drafting one.

Who's to say Romo would've lit it up next year anyways?  He's old, he's played 4 games in the last 2 seasons, and coming off a broken back.  Best case scenario he has like 1 year left in his body.  Plus, with or without Romo the Texans and everyone else are getting smoked by NE next year, so the smart move would be to think long term at the QB position.

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

you didnt mention the draft, there is a good chance one of the top QBs will fall to them

it may not be an immediate starter, but they could develop one of those guys into an nfl starter

they could be a very good team with at least an average QB

They are ready now.    I don't think they have a choice but to sign Cutler.    Bummer position to be in.   I don't think Kaep is an option and there is not much out there.   

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

they wont all draft QBs in the first though.  its pretty unlikely for the niners and bears, if they do trade back and take one it means somebody else on the list wont do it

texans could also trade up to get one too.  im hoping they dont find their guy, but if i were them it would be priority number one

Let me put it this way. With the 24th pick in this year's draft and no 2nd in 2018 , it's very unlikely (IMO) that the Texans will solve their QB situation considering this year's QB class. Their only hope , again IMO, is that Savage is the answer .

Here's an example of a bad QB class.  2013 NFL Draft  Top rated QB's by round and number

1.16 Buffalo selects EJ Manual

2.39 Jets select Gino Smith

3.73  Bucs take Mike Glennon

4.98  Eagles select Matt Barkley

30 minutes ago, krunk said:

Savage can play.  He's better than Osweiler.  They'll be okay.

I would be bummed if I was a Texans fan and they went with Savage.  He may prove to be good, but he only has 92 passing attempts in his career with 0 TD's and 1 INT.  

Houston has a great defense and the offense is good except for QB.   The time is now.

As a Colts fan, I'd be OK with them going with Savage.  

Just now, Myles said:

I would be bummed if I was a Texans fan and they went with Savage.  He may prove to be good, but he only has 92 passing attempts in his career with 0 TD's and 1 INT.  

Houston has a great defense and the offense is good except for QB.   The time is now.

That team isn't going anywhere with Savage. Even if they win the Division, they will be 1 and done in the Playoffs. I hope they do go with Savage that gives a decent shot of beating them.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What are you basing that on?  He has hardly played,  and wasn't good when doing so

You have to wonder what the Texans thought of Savage when they invested all that money in Oswieler ? What we can at least assume is they didn't think he was the answer after his 2nd year with the team. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Trading Osweiller and his salary was addition by subtraction.  The Texans are better off.

I agree with that but they still are in a position that appears to be "all in" with Savage for 2017.

37 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What are you basing that on?  He has hardly played,  and wasn't good when doing so

What was not good?  He won each time he played. And that was playing in with not much preparation.  I think he'll be better with more playing time. I like his arm strength, footwork and he knows the system.  Makes very few mistakes.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

What was not good?  He won each time he played. And that was playing in with not much preparation.  I think he'll be better with more playing time. I like his arm strength, footwork and he knows the system.  Makes very few mistakes.

The Texans liked him so much they gave Brock a ridiculous contract.    

He makes very few mistakes,  He also makes very few solid throws.   

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Quite certain the Texans will draft Kizer or Watson

I am leaning towards Watson for them, assuming Watson gets past the Chiefs.

Brock cost them money and a costly 2nd round pick even if they wanted to move up.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah and you saw all those rumors of Obrien wanting to leave Houston because of that move.  That move was prompted from Rick Smith and the Owner.  It was obvious he felt they did something he didn't have planned.  

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

And how many games have you really seen smarty?

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Made enough solid throws to put Brock on the bench during a playoff run.

33 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Obrien likes guys who do their job and execute and are coachable.  Thats what Savage is.  He doesn't have to be a superstar.  Just needs to be better than Brock.  I'm sure they'll bring in some young QB from the draft to compete and what not.   Savage can start for them as long as he keeps the mistakes down.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

That's not a lot of attempts. Especially with most of them coming from stepping into a game at the last minute.   People said a lot of the same stuff about Garapollo.  He looked like trash the couple times I saw him play I didn't think Jimmy G was anybody worth talking about.  Once he had to be the starter and they allowed him to prepare properly he looked much better.   I think Savage has the tools.  I fully expect them to draft someone of course, but most of these QBs in this draft are not ready to play Day 1.

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

Obrien likes guys who do their job and execute and are coachable.  Thats what Savage is.  He doesn't have to be a superstar.  Just needs to be better than Brock.  I'm sure they'll bring in some young QB from the draft to compete and what not.   Savage can start for them as long as he keeps the mistakes down.

Those a just the type of guys O'Brien has been stuck with.  

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Those a just the type of guys O'Brien has been stuck with.  

Don't matter.  He's won with them so he's not screwed. Bring in a guy from the draft to add depth and they'll be alright.   Savage can play, he's no superstar he can get the job done.  I can't see Kaepernick working out, and they have no interest in Cutler.