Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jason La Confora has Luck in tier 3

RockThatBlue

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's definitely one big thing, we have to beat the Pats. The problem is though is we've only given them one competitive matchup with Luck in 5 years and won 0 times. That probably has to do with the rating. Cam would definitely lose as well, but the NFC is more rounded IMO. Cam that year basically did everything for the team like Luck did in 2014. IMO, it just wore off Luck a year quicker because of two 8-8 seasons. They are both tier 2 QB's IMO though.

I agree.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. He called Carr "a proven winner" but this was Carr's first season with a winning record. Carr has also not won a playoff game. Carr is a "rising star" (Tier 3) and Luck is a proven winner (Tier 2). 

What was also odd was that LaCanfora wrote that he thought to put Cousins in Tier 2 but then has him in Tier 4. (Quote: "I went back and forth with putting Cousins in the second tier after a second-straight franchise record season with the Redskins")

Cousins should be in the "rising star" category (Tier 3), not Tier 4.

I think a 5th grader could have wrote a better article and supported it with better facts....I may not be smart enough to be a GM or front office exec but I sure as heck could do a better job backing up my arguments then this joke.

3 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

1) Why would Luck drop after one of his best seasons, where statistically he is a top 10 QB?

2) Why would he (essentially) be in the "up-and-coming" category when he has been consistently good-great when healthy?

1.) Slow starts and an 8-8 record

2.) I can't answer this one lol. I guess he's still young in La Confora's eyes.

He has Tony romo, Matthew Stafford and Joe Flacco in the tier 2 Proven winners. Matthew had one good year and before that people where telling the Lions to trade him and that goes for Flacco as well. Hell Luck has a better Playoff record than Romo and Stafford. Bet this guy who wrote this column never played football in his whole life. :facepalm:

8 hours ago, TheMarine said:

Well he's not exactly "wrong". Luck is coming off an 8-8 season, and missed 9 games the season before. He's a star, but not a league wide "Super" star yet despite his status here in Indy. In a "What have you done for me lately?" NFL, hes been mediocre. He hasn't been healthy, he didnt make the plays last year that we were so accustomed to seeing the first 3 years. 

Its a short rise to the top for him, IMO, if he doesn't have to play constantly from behind all the damn time and gets an O-Line in front of him. Im not worried about him yet, not until he starts to look like David Carr under pressure

Nope. He's wrong. Luck has made throws I have yet to see other QB's make in this league today. He carries this team. I believe he is the MVP in the league. Name a player more valuable. Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr as just as valuable. Maybe he's not the "best player" in the league but he is the most valuable.

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

Nope. He's wrong. Luck has made throws I have yet to see other QB's make in this league today. He carries this team. I believe he is the MVP in the league. Name a player more valuable. Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr as just as valuable. Maybe he's not the "best player" in the league but he is the most valuable.

I'd have to say Bill Belichick is the MVP, because without him, the Patriots would be the worst team in the league. I'm talking Tecmo Bowl Patriots. He's an MVP and he doesn't even step onto the field -- he's that good.  Enjoy the free ride while you can, Pats fans.

31 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Drew Bree's isn't tier 1.

3 straight losing seasons, and 6 non winning seasons out of 11? 

Brees is absolutely tier 1. Look at their offensive stats last year. http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/statistics?team=NO

2nd in points, 1st in yards, and 1st in pass yards. They absolutely dominated teams on offense. As good as their offense was, that's how bad their defense was. Wasn't Brees' fault at all they did so bad. He threw a decent amount of INT's per game, but he also carried that team.

58 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Brees deserves the least amount of blame for those 3 straight losing seasons, which probably featured one of the worst (if not the worst) 3 year stretch for team defense ever.

In those 3 losing seasons he's (among QBs with at least 30 starts during that period)

#2 in TDs (behind AR)

#1 in comp. %

#1 in total yards

#3 in passer rating (behind Brady and AR).

However, during those 3 seasons Saints have allowed 1354 points. Almost 100 points more than the next worst team. Almost 200 points worse than us. 3 teams allowed less than 900 points. Saints allowed more in just the past two seasons.

I'd assume the Saints have been beyond awful in almost every defensive statistic but the above highlights pretty well how bad they've been. Borderline miracle that they managed to win even that many games.

6 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I'd have to say Bill Belichick is the MVP, because without him, the Patriots would be the worst team in the league. I'm talking Tecmo Bowl Patriots. He's an MVP and he doesn't even step onto the field -- he's that good.  Enjoy the free ride while you can, Pats fans.

I guess if you look at it from that aspect than yeah I would agree. Belichick would be MVP almost every year. He is no doubt the GCOAT. 

A good majority of NFL teams would drool at the prospect of having AL under center for their ball clubs. When healthy(also not to blame for lost playing time due to injury, in most cases), he's one of the best QB's in the league. The knock on him imo is his continued issue of locking onto his #1 receiver/tight end. Trying to force plays when he should just throw it away(I get that he's competitive). I wouldn't trade AL for anything, love the kid and I'm grateful that he represents the Shoe, and has already proven his ability many seasons, over his first few in the league. Conforna has an ax to grind with the Colts, because I have hardly ever heard him say anything positive about us that didn't seem forced. Don't know him personally, but he seems like a jaded little fella. 

17 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

1.) Slow starts and an 8-8 record

2.) I can't answer this one lol. I guess he's still young in La Confora's eyes.

That just seems to be a double standard. Drew Brees is deservedly in the top tier and he has gone 7-9 for the last three seasons with a team that is either equal to or slightly better than the Colts and he hasn't dropped from that.

Aaron Rodgers started out incredibly slow last season and finished with a pretty miserable NFC Championship game and gets the benefit of the doubt. I just think La Confora is being harsh in his assessment.

6 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

It's a team sport. That defense is horrible. He's clearly a Tier 1. We can't complain that Luck should be higher when his team has a couple rough seasons and then rip Brees for the same.

3 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I agree. What has Matt Ryan done that Russ and Can haven't done. 

A better question would be what has Cam and Russ done that Matt Ryan hasn't done?

Not sure where you stand on this, tbh. I'm saying that Wilson and Newton are not better QBs than Matt Ryan. I'm not necessarily saying that Ryan is better than them, although I could make that argument. If anything, I'd put Wilson and Ryan on the same tier, and Newton below them both. Newton has significant fundamental flaws as a passer. He's a great playmaker, but his inconsistencies, trouble with ball placement and tendency to hold the ball too long limit his effectiveness. 

17 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Drew Brees is a top 5 QB in the NFL he for sure is tier 1

Nope. He's probably top five, but I don't have five QBs in Tier 1. There's a distinction between Brady and Rodgers and everyone else, IMO. When they are healthy, their teams automatically make the playoffs, 8 years running now. Top tier QBs can drag even bad teams into the playoffs, pretty much every year. With Brees, the Saints have missed the playoffs 6 out of 11 seasons, believe it or not. The only pass he gets is BountyGate, but since then, they've missed the playoffs 3 out of 4 years (same as the Chargers). They don't play in the AFC East where one team has a stranglehold on the division. Not only are they not making the playoffs, they've finished below .500 4 out of 5 years. They're not even a fringe playoff team. 

A couple years ago, I had to downgrade Brees because he doesn't get his team into the playoffs enough. I am the main "football is a team sport" guy, but during the regular season, great QBing is good enough for those couple extra wins you need to make the playoffs. We've seen Luck do it, and with a few more plays he would have done it last season. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Nope. He's probably top five, but I don't have five QBs in Tier 1. There's a distinction between Brady and Rodgers and everyone else, IMO. When they are healthy, their teams automatically make the playoffs, 8 years running now. Top tier QBs can drag even bad teams into the playoffs, pretty much every year. With Brees, the Saints have missed the playoffs 6 out of 11 seasons, believe it or not. The only pass he gets is BountyGate, but since then, they've missed the playoffs 3 out of 4 years (same as the Chargers). They don't play in the AFC East where one team has a stranglehold on the division. Not only are they not making the playoffs, they've finished below .500 4 out of 5 years. They're not even a fringe playoff team. 

A couple years ago, I had to downgrade Brees because he doesn't get his team into the playoffs enough. I am the main "football is a team sport" guy, but during the regular season, great QBing is good enough for those couple extra wins you need to make the playoffs. We've seen Luck do it, and with a few more plays he would have done it last season. 

He has a god awful team I can't hold that against him his talent is superior to only brady and Rogers and honestly I think he's better then Brady talent wise if he was to play with the teams that he has had Brady is a system QB he doesn't have as much like talent as say Peyton Rogers or Brees

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not sure where you stand on this, tbh. I'm saying that Wilson and Newton are not better QBs than Matt Ryan. I'm not necessarily saying that Ryan is better than them, although I could make that argument. If anything, I'd put Wilson and Ryan on the same tier, and Newton below them both. Newton has significant fundamental flaws as a passer. He's a great playmaker, but his inconsistencies, trouble with ball placement and tendency to hold the ball too long limit his effectiveness. 

My question was what has Cam, and Russ done that Matt Ryan hasn't done? I know. Everything and more. So why was there people whining about stupidity? Cam has won more and set more records than Ryan. Russ has done the same.

Secondly, Why do i feel like some folks are hating on Cam because of his personality.I feel like this is the same energy that is keeping TO out of the HOF. I dont care about how the shooter shoots the ball as long as it goes in thats all that matters, and pointing out mechanical flaws with Cam is pointless. Does his mechanics equal W's and if it does then great. Philip Rivers has bad mechanics as well, I didn't hear anyone pointing that out. And since you mentioned inconsistent. I guess Andrew Luck is the definition of Consistent. Sounds like " He's a great playmaker, but his inconsistencies, trouble with ball placement and tendency to hold the ball too long limit his effectiveness" you are describing Andrew Luck right?

Tell me what Luck has done that Cam hasn't done? ill wait. and yes im a Colts fan but I deal with reality, Not wishful fan talk. No need to talk about who has better form either. when it comes down to it, what has Luck done that Cam hasn't (meaningful comparisons).

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly didn't even click on the article but if he has Cam in Tier 2 which I am sure he does then Luck should be in there. Cam went 6-10 last season. Tier 1 should probably be - Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, and Brees. Tier 2 - Ryan, Wilson, Cam, Luck, E.Manning, Carr, Flacco and Stafford. Tier 3 - Rivers, Dak, Mariota, Winston, Palmer, Dalton, A.Smith, and Cousins. Ever other QB is very suspect in the league including Wentz and Jimmy G.. Cant really rank Romo at this point because he was out all season this past season and real injury prone.

*If healthy Romo would be Tier 2.

however, I am not sure if Luck and Carr trade teams that Carr doesn't become either Dalton or even worse his brother and Luck becomes Brady... Carr has world class everything on his team and hardly ever gets touched 

This dude La Confora is all goofed up

8 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

My question was what has Cam, and Russ done that Matt Ryan hasn't done? I know. Everything and more. So why was there people whining about stupidity? Cam has won more and set more records than Ryan. Russ has done the same.

Secondly, Why do i feel like some folks are hating on Cam because of his personality.I feel like this is the same energy that is keeping TO out of the HOF. I dont care about how the shooter shoots the ball as long as it goes in thats all that matters, and pointing out mechanical flaws with Cam is pointless. Does his mechanics equal W's and if it does then great. Philip Rivers has bad mechanics as well, I didn't hear anyone pointing that out. And since you mentioned inconsistent. I guess Andrew Luck is the definition of Consistent. Sounds like " He's a great playmaker, but his inconsistencies, trouble with ball placement and tendency to hold the ball too long limit his effectiveness" you are describing Andrew Luck right?

Tell me what Luck has done that Cam hasn't done? ill wait. and yes im a Colts fan but I deal with reality, Not wishful fan talk. No need to talk about who has better form either. when it comes down to it, what has Luck done that Cam hasn't (meaningful comparisons).

???

What has Cam won that Ryan hasn't? What meaningful records has he set? In what way is he a better QB than Matt Ryan?

If you're going to argue about people hating on Cam, you should save that argument for someone hating on Cam. I am not. I don't care about his personality, his pressers, his celebrations, how he dresses, or his race. I am usually a Cam defender against people nitpicking irrelevant stuff like that. Don't use that strawman on me.

Pointing out mechanical flaws for a passer are relevant when they affect the passer's consistency and accuracy. In Cam's case, they do. In Rivers' case, they do not. Cam is the one who sails the ball over receivers, especially over the middle of the field, primarily because of poor footwork. Cam is the one who holds the ball and stares down receivers. He has fundamental issues that I only bring up because of how they affect him as a passer. Rivers has an ugly throwing motion, but he's accurate and consistent. I don't care how the shooter shoots unless it affects the ball going in. 

And where does Luck fit into a conversation about Newton, Wilson and Ryan? Again, this is a strawman. 

But if we're going there, Luck has good footwork and a consistent delivery of the football. He does hold the ball too long, and it's one my biggest criticisms of him. He doesn't have trouble with ball placement, but he does make bad decisions, sometimes late decisions. I wish he'd speed up his footwork, and I wish our offense would encourage him to do so. Just because I'm a Luck fan doesn't mean I can't or won't be critical of him, but my biggest issue with him has nothing to do with mechanics and ability, it's entirely about decision making.

Cam had one pretty good season, playing with a great defense, in which he was still pretty inconsistent and inaccurate as a passer. Great for him he won MVP and went to the SB, that in itself doesn't make him better than anyone else. It certainly doesn't mean we can't talk about his flaws. And his flaws in no way take away from the things he does well.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Would Rodgers have made the playoffs last year if GB allowed 66 points more over the course of the season?

Or the year before if they had allowed 153 points more (108 points more than they scored)?

Luck has never had as bad defense as Brees the past few years. That few more plays applies to Saints pretty well too

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

???

What has Cam won that Ryan hasn't? What meaningful records has he set? In what way is he a better QB than Matt Ryan?

If you're going to argue about people hating on Cam, you should save that argument for someone hating on Cam. I am not. I don't care about his personality, his pressers, his celebrations, how he dresses, or his race. I am usually a Cam defender against people nitpicking irrelevant stuff like that. Don't use that strawman on me.

Pointing out mechanical flaws for a passer are relevant when they affect the passer's consistency and accuracy. In Cam's case, they do. In Rivers' case, they do not. Cam is the one who sails the ball over receivers, especially over the middle of the field, primarily because of poor footwork. Cam is the one who holds the ball and stares down receivers. He has fundamental issues that I only bring up because of how they affect him as a passer. Rivers has an ugly throwing motion, but he's accurate and consistent. I don't care how the shooter shoots unless it affects the ball going in. 

And where does Luck fit into a conversation about Newton, Wilson and Ryan? Again, this is a strawman. 

But if we're going there, Luck has good footwork and a consistent delivery of the football. He does hold the ball too long, and it's one my biggest criticisms of him. He doesn't have trouble with ball placement, but he does make bad decisions, sometimes late decisions. I wish he'd speed up his footwork, and I wish our offense would encourage him to do so. Just because I'm a Luck fan doesn't mean I can't or won't be critical of him, but my biggest issue with him has nothing to do with mechanics and ability, it's entirely about decision making.

Cam had one pretty good season, playing with a great defense, in which he was still pretty inconsistent and inaccurate as a passer. Great for him he won MVP and went to the SB, that in itself doesn't make him better than anyone else. It certainly doesn't mean we can't talk about his flaws. And his flaws in no way take away from the things he does well.

Yeah but...what does Matt do that Cam hasn't? LOL

9 minutes ago, Finball said:

Would Rodgers have made the playoffs last year if GB allowed 66 points more over the course of the season?

Or the year before if they had allowed 153 points more (108 points more than they scored)?

Luck has never had as bad defense as Brees the past few years. That few more plays applies to Saints pretty well too

Ifs and buts... 

And weird ifs and buts, to be honest. Four points a game from the defense is a pretty big deal. Nine and a half points a game is huge. And you're not mentioning the effect that efficient offense and lack of turnovers can have on scoring defense.

But my point is not about one year. In Rodgers' case, the Packers have made the playoffs each of the last 8 seasons, and the biggest reason is that he's been the most efficient QB in the NFL most of that time. Along the way, the Packers have had some bad defenses themselves.

Same applies to Brees. They've made the playoffs only 4 of the last 8 years, missed three years in a row, and 6 out of 11 years that he's been there. They haven't had an awful defense the entire time. I'm not laying all their faults at Brees' feet, and it's hard to imagine asking him to do more than he's done. But in the NFL, great QBing is pretty much automatically good for 8 wins. Their division isn't particularly difficult. 

Brees is likely an outlier. I'm absolutely not saying he isn't a great QB. But if I'm ranking QBs by tier, there's a distinction between Brees and Brady/Rodgers, and that's winning games. 

11 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah but...what does Matt do that Cam hasn't?

Not sure if this is a serious question, but just in case, he's a more accurate and consistent passer, he has better footwork, he makes better and quicker decisions... 

As a passer, Matt Ryan is well beyond Cam. I'd say the same thing about the other QBs we're discussing. Cam makes up for it with his outstanding physical abilities, which includes an insanely strong arm. 

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He has a god awful team I can't hold that against him his talent is superior to only brady and Rogers and honestly I think he's better then Brady talent wise if he was to play with the teams that he has had Brady is a system QB he doesn't have as much like talent as say Peyton Rogers or Brees

I'll revise, btw. He's definitely top five. Probably #3. I just think there's a distinction.