Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jason La Confora has Luck in tier 3

RockThatBlue

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he's not exactly "wrong". Luck is coming off an 8-8 season, and missed 9 games the season before. He's a star, but not a league wide "Super" star yet despite his status here in Indy. In a "What have you done for me lately?" NFL, hes been mediocre. He hasn't been healthy, he didnt make the plays last year that we were so accustomed to seeing the first 3 years. 

Its a short rise to the top for him, IMO, if he doesn't have to play constantly from behind all the damn time and gets an O-Line in front of him. Im not worried about him yet, not until he starts to look like David Carr under pressure

I've never listened to Confora. He doesn't know what he's talking about half the time, and is dead wrong the other half of the time. I mean, just look at Cam Newton in tier 1 after the stupendously horrific year he had this past season. Then he has Romo in tier 2 and the guy didn't even play more than a few snaps last year. Just ignore him IMO

I honestly didn't even click on the article but if he has Cam in Tier 2 which I am sure he does then Luck should be in there. Cam went 6-10 last season. Tier 1 should probably be - Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, and Brees. Tier 2 - Ryan, Wilson, Cam, Luck, E.Manning, Carr, Flacco and Stafford. Tier 3 - Rivers, Dak, Mariota, Winston, Palmer, Dalton, A.Smith, and Cousins. Ever other QB is very suspect in the league including Wentz and Jimmy G.. Cant really rank Romo at this point because he was out all season this past season and real injury prone.

*If healthy Romo would be Tier 2.

The guys Ranking is hilarious. Has Romo in Tier 2 and when's the last time he played lol. Andrew gets a lot of flack because he's the #1 pick and was the best rated prospect since Elway. The fact is Andrew hasn't had a well built team around him like most quarterbacks. You put most quarterbacks in the shoes he has been in and most qb's would fail. Andrew was rated the 3rd best qb by PFF and was getting a pounding in the beginning of the year. He was also ranked one of the highest qb's with the best statistics when pressured as well. Not saying he's the best Qb but in my mind a top 5 Qb. Haters going to hate.

4 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

The guys Ranking is hilarious. Has Romo in Tier 2 and when's the last time he played lol. Andrew gets a lot of flack because he's the #1 pick and was the best rated prospect since Elway. The fact is Andrew hasn't had a well built team around him like most quarterbacks. You put most quarterbacks in the shoes he has been in and most qb's would fail. Andrew was rated the 3rd best qb by PFF and was getting a pounding in the beginning of the year. He was also ranked one of the highest qb's with the best statistics when pressured as well. Not saying he's the best Qb but in my mind a top 5 Qb. Haters going to hate.

I agree. Andrew is easily Top 10 and Tier 2 at worse.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Look who else he has in tier 3...no this isn't a joke.

2017: Mariota, Winston, Luck, Dak Prescott,Carson Wentz, Jimmy Garoppolo

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-qb-tiers-from-franchise-guys-to-just-guys-where-your-likely-starter-ranks/

That is disrespect cause he is better than all of those players.

That was yesterday, this season is tomorrow. I put little or no stock in what the pundits say. 

Some said Leaf was better than Manning

Many said RG III was better than Luck

So what, who cares. I know we need things to talk about but I cringe when I see a heading like this

1 hour ago, TheMarine said:

Well he's not exactly "wrong". Luck is coming off an 8-8 season, and missed 9 games the season before. He's a star, but not a league wide "Super" star yet despite his status here in Indy. In a "What have you done for me lately?" NFL, hes been mediocre. He hasn't been healthy, he didnt make the plays last year that we were so accustomed to seeing the first 3 years. 

Its a short rise to the top for him, IMO, if he doesn't have to play constantly from behind all the damn time and gets an O-Line in front of him. Im not worried about him yet, not until he starts to look like David Carr under pressure

I'd say he's very wrong.  Luck isn't coming off of an 8-8 season; the Colts are coming off of an 8-8 season.  Luck is coming off of a season where, despite being one of the most hit and sacked quarterbacks in the league, he threw for 4000+ yards, 30+ TDs, 13 INTs, 63.5% completion, and had a rating of 96.4.  In his career, last year ranks #2 for rating, #2 for TDs, and #1 for completion percentage.  The Colts weren't very good last year, but Luck certainly was.  This isn't to say Luck should be in the same category as someone like Rodgers or Brady, but I think it's absolutely asinine to put him in the same group as Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz, and Jimmy Garoppolo.  No disrespect to any of those guys, but 32 GMs and 32 head coaches would take Andrew Luck over those guys.

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'd say he's very wrong.  Luck isn't coming off of an 8-8 season; the Colts are coming off of an 8-8 season.  Luck is coming off of a season where, despite being one of the most hit and sacked quarterbacks in the league, he threw for 4000+ yards, 30+ TDs, 13 INTs, 63.5% completion, and had a rating of 96.4.  In his career, last year ranks #2 for rating, #2 for TDs, and #1 for completion percentage.  The Colts weren't very good last year, but Luck certainly was.  This isn't to say Luck should be in the same category as someone like Rodgers or Brady, but I think it's absolutely asinine to put him in the same group as Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz, and Jimmy Garoppolo.  No disrespect to any of those guys, but 32 GMs and 32 head coaches would take Andrew Luck over those guys.

I couldn't agree more, Great Post!

40 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

That was yesterday, this season is tomorrow. I put little or no stock in what the pundits say. 

Some said Leaf was better than Manning

Many said RG III was better than Luck

So what, who cares. I know we need things to talk about but I cringe when I see a heading like this

Some *s even voted for RGIII over Luck for ROY

1 hour ago, Superman said:

His "logic" and methodology are all over the place, and this list is nonsense.

Yeah. I hate making lists. Never get two people to agree....but if your going to..at least be consistent on how you evaluate and rate each qb. If you count off for one you should do the same for another or if your going to give positive points the same should apply for everyone evenly.

I guess it depends on how finely you want to split hairs and separate out qbs but I see a group of qbs right behind Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady that are all really good that can move up and down between each other from season to season that start with Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers and Big Ben and go down to Eli and Carson Palmer with Luck somewhere in the middle of them there. To put him with guys that still haven't proven it for more than a year like Dak and Wentz and Jimmy G....no...clearly there is a problem there. Just like Matt Ryan and Carr would have moved up this list after the years they had and Luck may have fallen some I anticipate Luck to move back up...and I save the top level for guys that have played at an elite level for many years in a row to be those top guys.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah. I hate making lists. Never get two people to agree....but if your going to..at least be consistent on how you evaluate and rate each qb. If you count off for one you should do the same for another or if your going to give positive points the same should apply for everyone evenly.

I guess it depends on how finely you want to split hairs and separate out qbs but I see a group of qbs right behind Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady that are all really good that can move up and down between each other from season to season that start with Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers and Big Ben and go down to Eli and Carson Palmer with Luck somewhere in the middle of them there. To put him with guys that still haven't proven it for more than a year like Dak and Wentz and Jimmy G....no...clearly there is a problem there. Just like Matt Ryan and Carr would have moved up this list after the years they had and Luck may have fallen some I anticipate Luck to move back up...and I save the top level for guys that have played at an elite level for many years in a row to be those top guys.

He has Russell Wilson and Cam Newton ahead of Matt Ryan. 

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

While I agree lists are very opinionated (based on opinion), if one is going to do a list I would prefer someone who does them have common sense. Only a dufus would have Andrew Luck in Tier 3 and rated equally to guys like Wentz and Jimmy G.. If he is basing it on last season why is Cam in Tier 2 then, Cam stunk it up last season and his team went 6-10. His criteria is odd.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Tier 3 is a joke.

3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Look who else he has in tier 3...no this isn't a joke.

2017: Mariota, Winston, Luck, Dak Prescott,Carson Wentz, Jimmy Garoppolo

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-qb-tiers-from-franchise-guys-to-just-guys-where-your-likely-starter-ranks/

I love how he calls Tony Romo a "proven winner." He has 1 playoff win in his entire career, Luck had that by season 2.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

While I agree lists are very opinionated (based on opinion), if one is going to do a list I would prefer someone who does them have common sense. Only a dufus would have Andrew Luck in Tier 3 and rated equally to guys like Wentz and Jimmy G.. If he is basing it on last season why is Cam in Tier 2 then, Cam stunk it up last season and his team went 6-10. His criteria is odd.

Just a guess, but maybe Cam was in Tier 1 at this time last year when he won the SB, then he was demoted to Tier 2. I'm pretty sure Luck was in tier 1 on most of these lists after 2014, and the last two years (in people's minds), demote him a tier each year down to tier 3. A results oriented league, but Luck isn't a tier 3 QB.

12 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I love how he calls Tony Romo a "proven winner." He has 1 playoff win in his entire career, Luck had that by season 2.

Meanwhile, Eli Manning has two Super Bowl rings and is listed in Tier 2.  That tends to be a problem when people make lists.  They use varying criteria.  By almost every measure, Cam Newton had a worse 2016 than Andrew Luck, but he's ranked above MVP Matt Ryan.  If you're going to evaluate Romo and Cam based on what they've done in the past, then you'd have to evaluate Luck on the same merits.  He gives Cam a pass for having a porous offensive line, but ignorantly gives Luck no credit for a 4000+ yard season and 30+ TDs behind an even worse line.

Cam Newton goes from MVP to significantly fewer TDs, more INTs, and lower rating, but stays in Tier 1.  Luck significantly improves his completion percentage, rating, and lowers his INTs and stays in Tier 3.  La Confora has no idea what he's talking about.  Ignore all things La Confora

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

Meanwhile, Eli Manning has two Super Bowl rings and is listed in Tier 2.  That tends to be a problem when people make lists.  They use varying criteria.  By almost every measure, Cam Newton had a worse 2016 than Andrew Luck, but he's ranked above MVP Matt Ryan.  If you're going to evaluate Romo and Cam based on what they've done in the past, then you'd have to evaluate Luck on the same merits.  He gives Cam a pass for having a porous offensive line, but ignorantly gives Luck no credit for a 4000+ yard season and 30+ TDs behind an even worse line.

Cam Newton goes from MVP to significantly fewer TDs, more INTs, and lower rating, but stays in Tier 1.  Luck significantly improves his completion percentage, rating, and lowers his INTs and stays in Tier 3.  La Confora has no idea what he's talking about.  Ignore all things La Confora

I hate it. Plus he's putting Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, & Jimmy Garoppolo in the same category as Andrew Luck, and that's just flat out offensive. I mean seriously, could he have picked 3 more unproven guys than that group of QBs?

I think the thing that sticks out for Andrew Luck like a sore thumb that causes Jason to put him in tier 3 is the slow starts. I think it was 11 games we scored either 0 or 3 points in the first quarter and we can't win games that way. Luck was doing most of his damage later on, and it put us in a tough spot. He doesn't belong with those QB's in tier 3, but he's also not a tier 1 QB anymore.

59 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I couldn't pull up the link at the time. I was just responding to what was said. I got no answer for you other than trolling for comments and clicks. Say something very controversial get lots of responses pushing his web hits high and making his sponsors happy.

40 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just a guess, but maybe Cam was in Tier 1 at this time last year when he won the SB, then he was demoted to Tier 2. I'm pretty sure Luck was in tier 1 on most of these lists after 2014, and the last two years (in people's minds), demote him a tier each year down to tier 3. A results oriented league, but Luck isn't a tier 3 QB.

when did cam win a SB?

43 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Edit: Made the SB, not won it.

57 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Lol. He called Carr "a proven winner" but this was Carr's first season with a winning record. Carr has also not won a playoff game. Carr is a "rising star" (Tier 3) and Luck is a proven winner (Tier 2). 

What was also odd was that LaCanfora wrote that he thought to put Cousins in Tier 2 but then has him in Tier 4. (Quote: "I went back and forth with putting Cousins in the second tier after a second-straight franchise record season with the Redskins")

Cousins should be in the "rising star" category (Tier 3), not Tier 4.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Edit: Made the SB, not won it.

Sometimes making the SB is actually overrated when you are in the weaker Conference. What Andrew Luck did in 2014 was just as impressive by winning at Denver against that Defense and Peyton. He had to beat the Pats in Foxboro in order to reach the SB. I seriously doubt Cam beats the Pats, you seen what the Broncos did to them and Peyton was a shell of himself. Cam beat an injured a Seahawks team at home and a Cards team that had a lousy Offense to reach the SB.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sometimes making the SB is actually overrated when you are in the weaker Conference. What Andrew Luck did in 2014 was just as impressive by winning at Denver against that Defense and Peyton. He had to beat the Pats in Foxboro in order to reach the SB. I seriously doubt Cam beats the Pats, you seen what the Broncos did to them and Peyton was a shell of himself. Cam beat an injured a Seahawks team at home and a Cards team that had a lousy Offense to reach the SB.

That's definitely one big thing, we have to beat the Pats. The problem is though is we've only given them one competitive matchup with Luck in 5 years and won 0 times. That probably has to do with the rating. Cam would definitely lose as well, but the NFC is more rounded IMO. Cam that year basically did everything for the team like Luck did in 2014. IMO, it just wore off Luck a year quicker because of two 8-8 seasons. They are both tier 2 QB's IMO though.

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. He called Carr "a proven winner" but this was Carr's first season with a winning record. Carr has also not won a playoff game. Carr is a "rising star" (Tier 3) and Luck is a proven winner (Tier 2). 

What was also odd was that LaCanfora wrote that he thought to put Cousins in Tier 2 but then has him in Tier 4. (Quote: "I went back and forth with putting Cousins in the second tier after a second-straight franchise record season with the Redskins")

Cousins should be in the "rising star" category (Tier 3), not Tier 4.

Yeah I know, Carr has never even played in a Playoff game, how is he a proven winner?