Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft 1.0

LB, CB, S, DT, are the biggest draft needs.  I wouldn't draft an OL in the 1st with defense being a big need.  I would wait until next year to draft an OL, and use what we have in Good, Clark, and Haeg.  

First Round: Haason Reddick LB  

Reuben Foster could be here as well, but I think Reddick has a better chance of being there at 15.  

Second Round: Marlon Humphrey CB 

He could be a late first rounder, but I think players like Conley, White, and Awuzie will go before him, which could push him to the second round.   

Third Round: Kareem Hunt RB 

Might be too early for a RB, but the last few late round RBs we have drafted haven't done much for us.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to grab a young RB to complement Gore and Turbin.  

Fourth Round: Jourdan Lewis CB  

Like Humphrey, he could fall a little further in the draft due to the CBs I think will be taken in front of him.  

Fourth Round: Josh Johnson S 

We have three fourth rounders, so grabbing a safety would be a good idea, and is a necessity since we would have Geathers and Butler back there at the moment. Green is still an unknown, so picking up Johnson wouldn't be bad for S depth.    

Fourth Round: Alex Anzalone LB 

Past injuries will push him back to day three of the draft.  He will contribute to the linebacker revamp.  

Fifth Round: Jarron Jones DT 

Football character concerns and past injuries will push him back to where we draft, but in the 5th round I think it would be a decent idea to give it a shot.  

I love mock drafts so appreciate your post! Andrew Luck is the franchise and by far highest paid player. If he is not successful the Colts will suffer. Luck has been brutalized and pulverized due to poor offensive line since day 1, culminating  with two serious injuries in two years. I don't have complete faith in Costonzo. I also don't think Mewhort can stay healthy.  Doesn't the free agent guard we recently signed (former Titan) also have history of injuries and missing games? This, coupled with uncertainty at our right guard and right tackle position underscores need for at least one offensive lineman chosen early in the draft.  Chud's long pass route offense doesn't do #12 any favors either. Brady does shorter and faster passes. 

Mock drafts are are a blast for us diehard fans and armchair GMs.  I'd trade down in round 1 for extra 3rd round pick. Pick linebacker in round 1 and a mauling, mean and nasty offensive lineman round 2. 

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like it. No reaches. I think Awuzie will be the CB that falls not Humphrey. Humphrey is also better in off coverage, so he may not be a system fit.

Awuzie has a first round grade from many teams, I've heard. Same with King. 

8 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

Yes that's who I meant.  I must have put Johnson when I was looking at a list of safeties and saw John Johnson.  

There's no way he falls to the fourth. 

3 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

Yes that's who I meant.  I must have put Johnson when I was looking at a list of safeties and saw John Johnson.  

Third round is not too early to take a RB, but we could probably get Hunt or an equivalent in the 4th.  

I read that Anzalone had a great senior bowl, he's interesting as a later round pick.  

Is Jones in the 5th realistic?  I've seen him projected in the 2-3 range.  

25 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Switch Josh Jones with John Johnson.  I think I have my players mixed up.  I was thinking John Johnson was the safety with a 1-2 round grade, and Josh Jones was the safety with a 3-4 round grade.  Sorry for the confusion.  

24 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Third round is not too early to take a RB, but we could probably get Hunt or an equivalent in the 4th.  

I read that Anzalone had a great senior bowl, he's interesting as a later round pick.  

Is Jones in the 5th realistic?  I've seen him projected in the 2-3 range.  

I saw that Jones on CBS Sports has a 5th round projection, and NFL.com had him listed as the 12th best DT and going in the 5th round in the latest mock draft. Fox Sports said Rounds 3-5.  I guess its possible he goes earlier, but I figured with character concerns and previous injuries that he could be there in the 5th.        

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Interesting. I saw him mocked in the first only once. I'd take Conley before him though.

9 hours ago, D-lineman said:

I love mock drafts so appreciate your post! Andrew Luck is the franchise and by far highest paid player. If he is not successful the Colts will suffer. Luck has been brutalized and pulverized due to poor offensive line since day 1, culminating  with two serious injuries in two years. I don't have complete faith in Costonzo. I also don't think Mewhort can stay healthy.  Doesn't the free agent guard we recently signed (former Titan) also have history of injuries and missing games? This, coupled with uncertainty at our right guard and right tackle position underscores need for at least one offensive lineman chosen early in the draft.  Chud's long pass route offense doesn't do #12 any favors either. Brady does shorter and faster passes. 

Mock drafts are are a blast for us diehard fans and armchair GMs.  I'd trade down in round 1 for extra 3rd round pick. Pick linebacker in round 1 and a mauling, mean and nasty offensive lineman round 2. 

Forrest Lamp is the only OL we should consider drafting. Our OL is young and has a lot of promise

I like it all I just don't think Marlon is the CB that falls due to depth. He's probably a top 25 pick. Maybe try to wait and steal Kareem in the 4th, I need more D. Jordan Lewis is ganna go 3rd hes way too talented

3 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

Forrest Lamp is the only OL we should consider drafting. Our OL is young and has a lot of promise

When 12 is getting hammered again and missing games people will be upset more wasn't done. I think Ballard is well aware of this and Will make more additions. Our defense has so many needs. Grigson really screwed us

Pretty good. I think you might need to switch Jourdan Lewis and Kareem Hunt since I think Kareem will be there in the 4th but I doubt Lewis will fall that far.

I really like the players you've picked. I highly doubt Humphrey is there at our 2nd pick. I cant see him leaving the top 25 imo, especially since he's been bumped up the CB rankings since Sidney Wilson went down. But if by some miracle he is there, that's a no brainer pick.

Reddick is great.

Johnson is a good pick up there. A bit developmental though so I'm not sure he's an instant impact guy.

Anzalone is a great pick there if he can stay healthy. If he didn't have an injury history as long as my arm, he'd be a top 50 player.

Since the first 3 words you used for Jarron were 'football character concerns', I doubt CB would take him. He's said that he wants guys that love the game and are self motivated to compete and win. Doesn't sound like he fits that mould.

Overall, pretty good.

Round 1 Pick 15: Haason Reddick, OLB/ILB, Temple (A)
Round 2 Pick 26 (SEA): Obi Melifonwu, SS, Connecticut (A)
Round 3 Pick 16: Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee (A)
Round 3 Pick 26 (SEA): Sidney Jones, CB, Washington (B+)
Round 3 Pick 42 (SEA): Chad Wheeler, OT, Southern California (A)
Round 4 Pick 14: Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 30: John Johnson, FS, Boston College (B+)
Round 4 Pick 37 (COMP): Eddie Vanderdoes, DT, UCLA (B)
Round 5 Pick 14: Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M (B+)

On 4/2/2017 at 7:48 PM, D-lineman said:

When 12 is getting hammered again and missing games people will be upset more wasn't done. I think Ballard is well aware of this and Will make more additions. Our defense has so many needs. Grigson really screwed us

If we had a defense we'd win 12+ games every year...the whole draft last year focused on the OL. We don't need to draft more.

On 4/5/2017 at 8:16 PM, D-lineman said:

You are 100% incorrect 

We went 11-5 three straight years and advanced further every single year with a horrid defense and a subpar OL. I'm pretty confident 4/5 of the OL is already set while like 3/11 of the defense is maybe set..

Love the mock you put up here. Just want to throw a little insight being a colts fan from Wisconsin. I would love to trade back with Green Bay and snag TJ Watt. He's so underrated in this draft. Absolute game wrecker in every game he played. I see a lot of names like Derek Barnett, Tak, Dalvin Cook being linked to Indy, but I think the true steal would be getting Watt. You know he's going to bust his tail playing in the same division as big brother. Why not take the shot. 

On 4/3/2017 at 10:18 PM, Boomstick1 said:

If we had a defense we'd win 12+ games every year...the whole draft last year focused on the OL. We don't need to draft more.

The whole draft last year did not focus on offensive line. What was our 2nd round pick?  We did pick up at least two good lineman last year. I am not saying offensive lineman should be picked in round 1 or more than one lineman taken in first 4 rounds. I am saying that the most important player, Andrew Luck, continually gets wrecked and our offensive line still needs work.  Two surgeries for Luck in two years? C'MON MAN use your head!!!  Round 1 should be defense but with Mewhorts history of injuries, uncertainty at right guard and right tackle position, that is 3 spots on the offensive line that has questions. If Luck goes down you can have 1985 Bears defense and Colts are not going to win a ring. Somewhere in round 2 or 3 if an quality offensive lineman chosen I wouldn't be upset.  I would go all D in this draft for every pick except one running back and one offensive lineman. 

On 4/3/2017 at 4:45 PM, SuperJoe33 said:

Round 1 Pick 15: Haason Reddick, OLB/ILB, Temple (A)
Round 2 Pick 26 (SEA): Obi Melifonwu, SS, Connecticut (A)
Round 3 Pick 16: Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee (A)
Round 3 Pick 26 (SEA): Sidney Jones, CB, Washington (B+)
Round 3 Pick 42 (SEA): Chad Wheeler, OT, Southern California (A)
Round 4 Pick 14: Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 30: John Johnson, FS, Boston College (B+)
Round 4 Pick 37 (COMP): Eddie Vanderdoes, DT, UCLA (B)
Round 5 Pick 14: Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M (B+)

Not getting 2 3rd round picks to trade back 11 spots in the 2nd. Sorry pal keep dreaming