Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Frank Gore have at least one more 1000 yard season in him?

RockThatBlue

Krunk, your post overstates the point.  To say that a young back "isn't good" because he is unable to unseat Gore disparages Gore and underestimates what it takes to be a successful back in the NFL.  Look at Gurley...he was a man child in college and had a great rookie season, but was only able to gain 3.2 ypc on 278 carries last season.  He has breakaway speed and strength, but he was unable to match Gore's performance last year, or even get close.  The point is that it is difficult to have sustained success in the NFL...far more than you are willing to accept.  You don't just bring in a good college RB and expect them to get 4.5 + ypc, particularly behind the Indy OL or in its offensive scheme.  Both got better last year, but neither are there yet, nor is the offensive consistency that will take the focus away from the run game. 

And, I'll add to the last post by pointing to Ajayi...he had that incredible run mid-season, but if you take his last 8 games -- when teams chose to focus on him as a weapon -- he gained 626 yards on 152 carries, or 4.1 ypc.  Barely better than Gore.  And if you take away the one outlier (Week 14, Buffalo) he gained 420 yds on 120 carries, or 3.5 ypc-- substantially less than Gore.  That's a hot back on a playoff bound team...not so impressive (not to mention his 2 ypc in the playoffs).  The point is Gore is still very good and it'll take more than just a good RB to unseat him.  It will have to be an exceptional runner. 

8 hours ago, A8bil said:

And, I'll add to the last post by pointing to Ajayi...he had that incredible run mid-season, but if you take his last 8 games -- when teams chose to focus on him as a weapon -- he gained 626 yards on 152 carries, or 4.1 ypc.  Barely better than Gore.  And if you take away the one outlier (Week 14, Buffalo) he gained 420 yds on 120 carries, or 3.5 ypc-- substantially less than Gore.  That's a hot back on a playoff bound team...not so impressive (not to mention his 2 ypc in the playoffs).  The point is Gore is still very good and it'll take more than just a good RB to unseat him.  It will have to be an exceptional runner. 

That's a little misleading,  because not only were they focusing on Ajayi as a weapon,  but Tannehill was injured and not playing.      That made the defensive effort much, much easier to shut Ajayi down.

Just wanted to put all the facts on the table....

Thanks for the positive comments on Gore.....   we agree there...

And since I expect the OL to be much better this year,   I think Gore and his back-ups will have a better year too...

I'm not going to say No. All of the yards our RB's will get depends on the offensive line. The right side was starting to look fine close to the end of the season. It will look even better to with a healthy Jack Mewhort. 

I love Frank Gore also. I don't think he will do another 1000 yd. season. This probably will be his finale. We need a youngster to run the ball. It will take alot of pressure off Luck and the O-line. I will go out on a limb and predict the Oline will be much better as will the D as will the team in general.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2017 at 11:10 PM, NewColtsFan said:

That's a little misleading,  because not only were they focusing on Ajayi as a weapon,  but Tannehill was injured and not playing.      That made the defensive effort much, much easier to shut Ajayi down.

Just wanted to put all the facts on the table....

Thanks for the positive comments on Gore.....   we agree there...

And since I expect the OL to be much better this year,   I think Gore and his back-ups will have a better year too...

Hmmm...we agree on Gore, but I'm not sure how the information I provided was misleading, or how the information you provided brings more clarity.  In fact, I think your statements are a bit misleading.  My post focused on the last 8 games of the season, after the league realized Ajayi is a threat and they had game tape to plan against him.  Tannehill played in 5 of 8 of those games, and Ajayi was pedestrian in all of them.  The only great game he had in the second half (206 yds) was against Buffalo, week 15, when Tannehill was NOT playing.  Ajayi's two worst games in the second half were weeks 11 (SFO) and 13 (ARI) -- Tannehill played in both.  Tannehill got injured at ARI, but Ajayi had 17 of his 20 runs before the injury.  My point still stands...even very good young backs struggle to get more yards than Gore does on a consistent basis. It'll take Gore breaking down, or a young stud to unseat him. 

I don't think so but not because of ability, I think they will look to get Turbin and Mack more carries to take more of the load off of an aging Gore.  I think Frank can still get those hard yards for us though which is what is important. 

On 4/12/2017 at 6:41 PM, a06cc said:

I'm not going to say No. All of the yards our RB's will get depends on the offensive line. The right side was starting to look fine close to the end of the season. It will look even better to with a healthy Jack Mewhort. 

I think this is the point.  As with any team, the running game is heavily influenced by the health and consistency of the line.  Part of the OL started to gel toward season end.  Hopefully, when healthy and with more time, they can start consistently opening lanes.  Gore will exploit them.  The big thing as well, is that the Colts need to get better at scheming and downfield blocking.  You watch any of the backs who get long runs, and there are two things that helped them break open those runs: (1) schemes that pulled defenders out of the middle; and/or (2) strong downfield blocking.  Even when Gore got through the line pretty cleanly last year he was facing 3-4 unblocked defenders. They have got to give Gore, Turbin and Mack a chance for longer runs by giving them more 1 on 1 situations in the open field....that will spring some 20+ yd runs (and for Mack 40+).

34 minutes ago, A8bil said:

Hmmm...we agree on Gore, but I'm not sure how the information I provided was misleading, or how the information you provided brings more clarity.  In fact, I think your statements are a bit misleading.  My post focused on the last 8 games of the season, after the league realized Ajayi is a threat and they had game tape to plan against him.  Tannehill played in 5 of 8 of those games, and Ajayi was pedestrian in all of them.  The only great game he had in the second half (206 yds) was against Buffalo, week 15, when Tannehill was NOT playing.  Ajayi's two worst games in the second half were weeks 11 (SFO) and 13 (ARI) -- Tannehill played in both.  Tannehill got injured at ARI, but Ajayi had 17 of his 20 runs before the injury.  My point still stands...even very good young backs struggle to get more yards than Gore does on a consistent basis. It'll take Gore breaking down, or a young stud to unseat him. 

Good post....

Thanks for the breakdown of the facts....

Appreciate it....