Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Frank Gore have at least one more 1000 yard season in him?

RockThatBlue

I'm in the "if he gets enough touches camp," considering he would need at least 260 carries to get there.  The problem however is that our offense needs more of a home-run hitter.  

Honestly, if we don't address this issue in the draft then I'd sign JCharles (1 yr/$ 5m) to compete with Gore and Turbin.  I envision Gore softening the defense in the first half, then Charles taking over in the second half, while Turbin works short yardage and goal line the entire duration.  

38 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

No. I hope we don't feed him enough at his ypc to get 1000. Ideally when we use him, it's effectively, and while giving a good amount of carries to someone else. Preferably our future Starting RB... IMO of course 

I get this post from using Gore from a short yardage goal line bulldozer perspective Gabriel. And yes, SW1 is aware of giving 2 likes to 2 seemingly contradictory replies yours & CBE's. 

I revere Frank's pound it out style & that he rarely fumbles the ball. So, I can't really root against the man yardage wise. However, having said all that, we need a scat back with speed & the sledge hammer that is Gore to finish drives with touchdowns not field goals. In closing, I agree 100% with both posts if that makes an sense. 

Sounds strange I know, but 2 polar opposites can be true simultaneously in some cases. 

38 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

I'm in the "if he gets enough touches camp," considering he would need at least 260 carries to get there.  The problem however is that our offense needs more of a home-run hitter.  

Honestly, if we don't address this issue in the draft then I'd sign JCharles (1 yr/$ 5m) to compete with Gore and Turbin.  I envision Gore softening the defense in the first half, then Charles taking over in the second half, while Turbin works short yardage and goal line the entire duration.  

IMO Charles is done. He hasn't done anything for over 2 years. If he had something left in him he would still be with Kansas City.

10 minutes ago, will426 said:

I wish we'd just switch to a zone blocking scheme so we have actual cutback lanes which gore can easily find with his elite vision but noooo let's have our linemen block people one on one instead of in unison :( 

We haven't had the O-line do do what you want.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We haven't had the O-line do do what you want.

True but it does get tiring waiting for this man blocking scheme to fully work lol it's been how many years now..and we saw what a zone stretch did for Peyton and edge..I feel the colts need to go back to thier ROOTS in terms of offense for sure 

Barring an injury, and assuming continued improvement on the offensive line, then I think Gore absolutely has another 1,000 season in him, as long as he remains the featured back, thus getting enough carries, say about 230 attempts.

I didn't see anything last year indicating that Frank has either slowed down or has nothing left.  With the line he played behind he earned every inch he gained.

I would say that if we need 1,000 yards from him he would be more than happy to put in the attempts and the effort..... not for his sake, but for the teams' sake.

I also think the reason he is still here is because of his leadership, and that he won't be asked to carry the load this year, but rather to be somewhat of a threat but mostly to tutor a rookie.

It will be interesting to see how his season, and maybe even his career, ends this year.  

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I get this post from using Gore from a short yardage goal line bulldozer perspective Gabriel. And yes, SW1 is aware of giving 2 likes to 2 seemingly contradictory replies yours & CBE's. 

I revere Frank's pound it out style & that he rarely fumbles the ball. So, I can't really root against the man yardage wise. However, having said all that, we need a scat back with speed & the sledge hammer that is Gore to finish drives with touchdowns not field goals. In closing, I agree 100% with both posts if that makes an sense. 

Sounds strange I know, but 2 polar opposites can be true simultaneously in some cases. 

I'm on the same boat with you. It's hard to tell when Gore is going to hang them up. He played well last year. He could still play 3 more average to slIgtly above average years. But as much as I have liked Gore, I wish we had a back with speed who we could dump off screens to and could take it to the house. Or make a 5 yard run a 20 yard run by using a spin move or a jump cut. Gore used his power and vision well, but doesn't have the speed or agility to make defenders miss as a speedster does. 

8 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Thoughts?

If anyone can do it at his age, its definitely him.

Im gonna have to say he does but wont get it, with the new GM wanting to create competition and go younger i think Gores touches are going to be reduced i think he will split carries with another back.

9 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

No. I hope we don't feed him enough at his ypc to get 1000. Ideally when we use him, it's effectively, and while giving a good amount of carries to someone else. Preferably our future Starting RB... IMO of course 

And this keeps Gore fresh for our playoff push! One can hope right. :)

On the train of not enough carries hopefully. I would consider it a success if he breaks 800. I really think drafting marlon mack would be the perfect compliment to Gore and turbin. Put him in on some 1st and 2nd down swapping with gore. Then third down, short yardage, and red zone put in turbin.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he can if he gets the touches he got last season. Our O.Line should be improving as well. If we draft a RB, we may use him less and give the new guy and Turbin a lot of touches.

I think he does.....he could get 1,000 with fewer carries..

..we should start an all vet O-line this fall...that's going to help all runners...

..and we should be ahead in games more often....which means we'll run more

Gore could hit 1000 with enough carries, sure. I don't think he's falling off any cliffs this season... He's not normal.

We shouldn't be looking (in the draft) for a scat back to compliment Gore, though... I think we should be looking for his replacement and I don't really want to see two draft picks at RB...

Maybe we find a speedy UDFA to groom, but I won't cry if Ballard saves the RB decision for next year's draft altogether, ttytt, despite what a deep class it is. 

If the Colts don't have a 1000 runner then they probably arent running enough and having to use the passing game to catch up in games. He is still by far the best option the Colts have at consistent runs. I personally dont want to see an offensive player drafted until round 4 or after. I want a really strong defense and a good running game every year.

he might have it in him, but i am hoping we can bring in somebody better that can beat that number soundly

frank and his 1000  yards/3.9 per carry were good enough for the colts to finish twenty third or so in rushing

Gore doesn't have the big play ability anymore...so I don't think he will sniff 1,000 yards without similar (or heavier) volume than last season. And I truly hope that he doesn't get that volume...because that would mean the Colts failed (yet again) to bring in a good RB prospect...or someone got hurt.

On 4/1/2017 at 1:45 PM, CR91 said:

I'm surprised he's still on the team with the youth movement Ballard has been implementing. 

Why?  He is still under contract, is relatively inexpensive and was productive last year.  Those are not things you can say about the guys he has let go.  Now once they get through the draft and see what they have, that could be a different story.  He might also be training camp cut as well.  But now - no surprise.

But Gore most certainly won't be on the roster next year.

6 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Why?  He is still under contract, is relatively inexpensive and was productive last year.  Those are not things you can say about the guys he has let go.  Now once they get through the draft and see what they have, that could be a different story.  He might also be training camp cut as well.  But now - no surprise.

I agree. I think we're going to draft a running back and it would be good to have him learn the ropes with Frank Gore on his side. 

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

surprised probably wasnt the correct term. just seemed like a fore-gone conclusion with how ballard has gotten rid of a lot of vets and how deep of a rb class this is

17 hours ago, jskinnz said:

i think he will still be here unless we draft a back pretty early, like first or second round

could be wrong about that, but he isnt that expensive and he is the most veteran player on the team now

im hoping for 300-500 yards from frank and 1000 or more from a rookie

On 4/3/2017 at 9:08 AM, aaron11 said:

he might have it in him, but i am hoping we can bring in somebody better that can beat that number soundly

frank and his 1000  yards/3.9 per carry were good enough for the colts to finish twenty third or so in rushing

That wasnt on Gore so much as it was the offensive game plan (not rushing enough) and the performance of our backup RBs. Gore was good enough to finish 14th in YPC for RBs with more than 200 carries (and 9th amoung RBs with 250+ carries) and 12th in rush yards. Those are solid (but not elite) numbers for a starter.  If Gore had his ~250 rushes at his same YPC and another RB got ~100 carries then as long as he was average we would have a solid rushing game. Unfortunately Turbin only had ~50 carries and a good chunk of them were on the goal line, limiting his YPC. Even at the 3.5 YPC that Turbin got, an extra 50 carries would have vaulted us up to 12th in rushing. Turbin's YPC should also increase so long as he didnt get a ton more goal line/short yardage runs in those extra 50 rushes. Depending on how much it increased we would have been ranked even higher (at 4 YPC, we would have had the 8th ranked rushing offense). 

Realistically we should be fine with Gore and what he does, and Turbin can probably replace Gore when he is gone, but we need a RB2 that can take it to the house and average 4.5+YPC on ~100 carries. 

I agree with many of the other posters about opportunities.  The thing is, while the OL has shown some improvement, they are not yet consistent, nor was the offense in general.  Too many games last year were a story of two halves, with the offense struggling in the first half to stay in the game pointwise, and then Luck having to be the hero in the second half, with a correlated drop in the number of second half running plays (Colts were 5th in total passing plays and 16th in running plays).  With a better game scheme and a more cohesive offensive line, there should be 40-50 more carries to spread around.  I'm not convinced Turbin will flourish in a broader role.