Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tennessee pro day info

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

Nope, he's not overly athletic.

Which is the main reason I want nothing to do with him at 15. Plays a finesse game with limited athletic ability. I thought at least he'd keep on the weight he played with as a senior and try to move inside to a 5 tech, but 259 makes him a must on the edge. I wouldn't touch this guy, I know everybody loves him, but in a 3-4 he's a bust. 

12 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Which is the main reason I want nothing to do with him at 15. Plays a finesse game with limited athletic ability. I thought at least he'd keep on the weight he played with as a senior and try to move inside to a 5 tech, but 259 makes him a must on the edge. I wouldn't touch this guy, I know everybody loves him, but in a 3-4 he's a bust. 

Supposedly he had a hammy during the workout, but I agree. He doesn't appear to be a good fit with the Colts.  

13 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Taco Charlton ran just as slow and a lot of people love him. Not to mention Taco doesn't have any production or the consistency of Barnett. 

Its crazy how people love to hate Barnett. I'd be very happy to have him. 

39 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Sure, same size, similar testing, similar rush style, both highly productive college pass rushers.

Who is a better pro comp? 

Vernon Gholston was same size, similar...etc...highly productive college....

Let's put a hold on the Suggs comparisons until he plays a game.

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Vernon Gholston was same size, similar...etc...highly productive college....

Let's put a hold on the Suggs comparisons until he plays a game.

Better yet, let's trade all our draft picks...because, you know, much of the time these college kids don't make very good pros.

9 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Supposedly he had a hammy during the workout, but I agree. He doesn't appear to be a good fit with the Colts.  

He would be a good fit with the Colts. He can play Rush backer, he has good technique, he can bend the edge, and he has a nice get-off. He just probably won't be a 10+ sack/year guy. I say that based on his tape, not his 40 time.

46 minutes ago, Superman said:

He would be a good fit with the Colts. He can play Rush backer, he has good technique, he can bend the edge, and he has a nice get-off. He just probably won't be a 10+ sack/year guy. I say that based on his tape, not his 40 time.

Yes, we play a 4-3 more than half the time, I get that.   What scares me about him is that he reminds me so much of Gholston.   Except maybe not as good an overall athlete.  

No player is a sure thing.   You guys may be right, but he scares me.  

This article does a good job describing him.  He's definitely an outlier.  But is he a college overachiever?

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/3/31/15131988/derek-barnett-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2017-tennessee-volunteers-film-highlights-profile

11 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Yes, we play a 4-3 more than half the time, I get that.   What scares me about him is that he reminds me so much of Gholston.   Except maybe not as good an overall athlete.  

No player is a sure thing.   You guys may be right, but he scares me.  

This article does a good job describing him.  He's definitely an outlier.  But is he a college overachiever?

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/3/31/15131988/derek-barnett-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2017-tennessee-volunteers-film-highlights-profile

Though I compared him to Suggs for a comp....that doesn't mean I think he is a sure thing.  I've got exactly the same concerns that you do about his athleticism.  

Some EDGE players, like Suggs, become studs and others, like Gholston, become busts.  The differences are subtle, very specific, and difficult to assess.

The only EDGE guys that don't have deficiencies of concern are top 5 picks...they're easy to spot like Garrett is.

3 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Though I compared him to Suggs for a comp....that doesn't mean I think he is a sure thing.  I've got exactly the same concerns that you do about his athleticism.  

Some EDGE players, like Suggs, become studs and others, like Gholston, become busts.  The differences are subtle, very specific, and difficult to assess.

The only EDGE guys that don't have deficiencies of concern are top 5 picks...they're easy to spot like Garrett is.

Yeah, no one is a sure thing.  Dion Jordan reminded us of that recently.  A few years ago the Eagles took a guard in the first round.  You'd think that would be safe, but he was beat out by Kyle DeVan,of all people.  Out of the league in a year.  

TBH, I like Tak better than him, Taco, Harris, or any of the guys that may be there for us.  But he has his issues too.  He may not play until mid season.   

I dont know about you but this draft is about exciting as opening day to me.  So many questions and some great drama.  Can't wait!

30 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, no one is a sure thing.  Dion Jordan reminded us of that recently.  A few years ago the Eagles took a guard in the first round.  You'd think that would be safe, but he was beat out by Kyle DeVan,of all people.  Out of the league in a year.  

TBH, I like Tak better than him, Taco, Harris, or any of the guys that may be there for us.  But he has his issues too.  He may not play until mid season.   

I dont know about you but this draft is about exciting as opening day to me.  So many questions and some great drama.  Can't wait!

Right with you on all that.  The draft is no doubt my favorite event all year, including opening day.  Nothing impacts winning as much.

Takk is a funny example to me of how we all have different hot buttons.  Superior athlete, but too many in his situation are missing too much of season one and there are too many other players that can plug and play on defense right now.

21 hours ago, Superman said:

I just think this draft specifically will have much better talent at 15. 

18 hours ago, Tmoney said:

I just think this draft specifically will have much better talent at 15. 

That's a different story than whether he'd be a good fit with the Colts. I think he would be. Whether he'd be the best player to draft at #15 remains to be seen, but I would be fine with him. I doubt he lasts to #15, honestly.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

That's a different story than whether he'd be a good fit with the Colts. I think he would be. Whether he'd be the best player to draft at #15 remains to be seen, but I would be fine with him. I doubt he lasts to #15, honestly.

I disagree, to me he doesn't have a "perfect" scheme fit at all. He doesn't have the length and strength you want in a 4-3 DE and also is too limited in space to be relied on as an every down OLB. He can pass rush, not other worldly enough to take at 15. I think he'll be sitting there at 15, and then hopefully again at 16(;

So how does Barnett compare to Dwight Freeney?  Freeney wasn't the most bendy guy coming out of college, IMO.  I think Mathis always had better bend.

Can Barnett play OLB better than Freeney?  Or would Barnett be notably better suited for a 4-3 DE in a Tampa 2?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

So how does Barnett compare to Dwight Freeney?  Freeney wasn't the most bendy guy coming out of college, IMO.  I think Mathis always had better bend.

Can Barnett play OLB better than Freeney?  Or would Barnett be notably better suited for a 4-3 DE in a Tampa 2?

Barnett can bend the edge very well. People are worried because he ran a slow 40 but overlook the fact that he had a very good 3 cone drill. Which IMO is a much better indication of how athletic a pass rusher is and how well their game will translate to the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Barnett can bend the edge very well. People are worried because he ran a slow 40 but overlook the fact that he had a very good 3 cone drill. Which IMO is a much better indication of how athletic a pass rusher is and how well their game will translate to the NFL. 

It's way more important then the 40 I think he will be a beast but I think he is gone before 15 tho :(

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Hate to compare anyone to Freeney, I don't want to give the impression that he's that good.  No one can know that yet.  But he compares in that they both were 4-3 DEs.  I don't think they asked Barnett to play in space very often.

I went back and watched some of his highlight reels and they really only show him making tackles behind the line, mostly coming off of a three point stance. 

I imagine that if we get him he won't be a three down player, but more of a situational pass rusher.  Which is a necessity. 

UTenn fans - please let me know if I'm off base on this.

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Hate to compare anyone to Freeney, I don't want to give the impression that he's that good.  No one can know that yet.  But he compares in that they both were 4-3 DEs.  I don't think they asked Barnett to play in space very often.

I went back and watched some of his highlight reels and they really only show him making tackles behind the line, mostly coming off of a three point stance. 

I imagine that if we get him he won't be a three down player, but more of a situational pass rusher.  Which is a necessity. 

It's been a while since I watched his tape but I wanna say I saw him stand up on occasion and he performed well. If I can find some clips I'll try to post them. I'm computer illiterate though so no promises haha 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Well, if that's all he's going to be in our defense, taint no way a situational pass rusher is worth pick 15.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, if that's all he's going to be in our defense, taint no way a situational pass rusher is worth pick 15.

I'm confused.  He was a 4-3 DE at Tennessee.  What were you expecting of him in our D? 

He's a very good edge rusher, plays the run well, but isn't known for playing in space as far as I can tell.  You could say the same of Freeney.  Just have to use him in the right situations.

27 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm confused.  He was a 4-3 DE at Tennessee.  What were you expecting of him in our D? 

He's a very good edge rusher, plays the run well, but isn't known for playing in space as far as I can tell.  You could say the same of Freeney.  Just have to use him in the right situations.

I'm expecting that any pass rusher that we would pick at 15 can also play well in space so that he can be used all three downs.  Not playing well in space was one reason why we let Freeney walk when we switched to the 34.  It wasn't immediate, but that was part of the issue.

14 hours ago, Tmoney said:

I disagree, to me he doesn't have a "perfect" scheme fit at all. He doesn't have the length and strength you want in a 4-3 DE and also is too limited in space to be relied on as an every down OLB. He can pass rush, not other worldly enough to take at 15. I think he'll be sitting there at 15, and then hopefully again at 16(;

tumblr_n0k1dtRq0C1r4fk9jo4_250.gif

First, I said he would be a good fit, not a perfect fit. But honestly, I don't see any issues with him. I'm not putting him in a 4-3 front, so his length isn't a problem. I don't see a lack of strength at all. At Rush backer, his usage in space is going to be limited -- maybe 10% of the time will he drop back -- but he does it well enough, has enough bend and flexibility and change of direction to be adequate in short zone coverage and to chase to the flats.

The only thing I agree with is that he's not going to be an other-worldly pass rusher. The question at #15 isn't how many sacks I think he'll get, it's how good of a player he'll be.

Also, I said last year that Joey Bosa probably wouldn't be a big time sack artist, and he proved me wrong in Year 1, without a full camp. I'm learning to leave room for my projections to be inaccurate. 

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm expecting that any pass rusher that we would pick at 15 can also play well in space so that he can be used all three downs.  Not playing well in space was one reason why we let Freeney walk when we switched to the 34.  It wasn't immediate, but that was part of the issue.

The Colts ran A LOT of 4 man fronts last year, especially playing in nickel formations. I would imagine that if Barnett is their guy they will scheme the defense particularly around him to get the most out of him. Whoever has, or is, playing RUSH isn't playing in space much at all. However, I think he stacks up better than Freeney in the fact that I think he can hold his side in the run game as well, something we all seen Freeney struggle with during his tenure with the Colts.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's a sore subject with me (Freeney).  A good coach will use his players best abilities in his system, not 'force' a player into his system.  Freeney was willing to give us a hometown discount.  He was still a very effective pass rusher.  He was also a very good teacher, if you watched the Cardinals show on Amazon.  He could have been a great situational pass rusher for us.

Back to our discussion.  If we had the chance to get Miles Garrett or Thomas, you wouldn't turn them down, right?  If you want an edge rusher who is good in space, you may want Reddick.

23 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That's a sore subject with me (Freeney).  A good coach will use his players best abilities in his system, not 'force' a player into his system.  Freeney was willing to give us a hometown discount.  He was still a very effective pass rusher.  He was also a very good teacher, if you watched the Cardinals show on Amazon.  He could have been a great situational pass rusher for us.

Back to our discussion.  If we had the chance to get Miles Garrett or Thomas, you wouldn't turn them down, right?  If you want an edge rusher who is good in space, you may want Reddick.

I would want a player who could potentially make an impact on all three downs, not just use him when we think the opponent might throw the ball.  If he's no good against the run or in space, that's where the opponent will attack.

If a pass rusher can't play all three downs effectively, then I'd look at drafting a player at another position with my high first round pick, but others might see that differently.

33 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I would want a player who could potentially make an impact on all three downs, not just use him when we think the opponent might throw the ball.  If he's no good against the run or in space, that's where the opponent will attack.

If a pass rusher can't play all three downs effectively, then I'd look at drafting a player at another position with my high first round pick, but others might see that differently.

He's more than adequate against the run and can get after the QB. Barnett is a three down Rush backer. 

I also don't see a reason why he couldn't handle himself in short zone coverage. Although it's a moot point because he wouldn't spend much time dropping into coverage anyway.