Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Jerry Jones' handling of Romo make Colts fans appreciate what Irsay did with Peyton more?

chad72

Irsay was going to incur the dead cap money, but yet he let Peyton go and latch on to a new team as a starter. Irsay had the same uncertainty placing all his eggs in the Luck basket. Irsay had also paid $23 mil. for Peyton the previous year, more in 2011 than what Jerry Jones paid for Romo in 2016.

Jerry Jones, on the other hand, is playing all kinds of games with the same uncertainty between Dak and Romo. Dak had actually played a whole year, unlike Luck. Romo never won a SB like Peyton and Irsay would have had more reasons to hold off for a trade for Peyton. Romo is coming off a few back injuries and the same health uncertainty that loomed around Peyton is looming around Romo too (though some may argue to a lesser extent for Romo).

So, Colts fans, does this make your appreciate Mr.Irsay more that he gave Peyton a gracious exit and released him earlier to help him with his newer team search than playing games like JJ is with Romo?

For me, it does. Mr.Irsay is very loyal - he paid the $23 mil. for Peyton, and the $14 or $15 mil. plus for Freeney even though he did not fit the 3-4 D then. As a player, you would want to play for Mr.Irsay more than you would want to play for JJ, IMO.

Can anyone give me any more detail about what's going on in the Romo situation.  I remember hearing on TV a while back that Romo was going to be released the very next day.  Obviously that did not happen.  

Is JJ trying to trade him away or is he just remaining quiet about the whole thing?  

A guy at work pointed out to me that it might make sense for the Cowboys to keep Romo for one more year.  Here is the thinking. . . 

If you get rid of Romo you have to find a backup QB.  Backup QB's average about 3 million a year.  

Because of all the dead money on Romo's contract, cutting him only gives the Cowboys $5.1 M in cap savings.  

So essentially it boils down to the question of if you would pay player of Romo's quality $5.1 M for one year to be your backup QB.  Well that's a little more then typical backup money but not much. . . And Romo is way better then your typical backup (if he can stay healthy)  You could then cut him next year for 16.3 M in cap savings. 

Of course the other thing he could be doing is waiting for the June 1st deadline.  That would bring him $14M in cap savings this year.

I'd like to say yes, but I can't answer definitively. The circumstances were too different.

In Manning's case, his contract forced Irsay's hand. He was due a huge option bonus that could not be renegotiated, and it was due prior to the new league year, so they couldn't trade him before it would be paid. Also, his recovery was still up in the air, so no team would have traded for him when he was due a $28m payout (his contract with the Broncos had no signing bonus, and the guarantees triggered only as he passed physicals every offseason). The Colts either had to commit to paying Manning that bonus, or release him.

With Romo, he has no big bonus due, just a base salary that isn't paid out until Week 1. Unlike Irsay, Jones' hand is not being forced. And even if they were to trade him during the season, they'd only be paying a prorated portion of his salary. Romo also took the field last season and showed that he's physically capable of playing. Unlike Manning, he actually has trade value. 

I do think it's kind of low for Jones to hold Romo in limbo, when he's obviously already told him that they're moving on. They were apparently ready to release him, then they realized that a couple teams really wanted him, so now they're trying to squeeze something out of them. At least, that's my read on it. I don't think Irsay would have handled the situation the same way, if the circumstances were exactly the same, but that's conjecture on my part.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'd like to say yes, but I can't answer definitively. The circumstances were too different.

In Manning's case, his contract forced Irsay's hand. He was due a huge option bonus that could not be renegotiated, and it was due prior to the new league year, so they couldn't trade him before it would be paid. Also, his recovery was still up in the air, so no team would have traded for him when he was due a $28m payout (his contract with the Broncos had no signing bonus, and the guarantees triggered only as he passed physicals every offseason). The Colts either had to commit to paying Manning that bonus, or release him.

With Romo, he has no big bonus due, just a base salary that isn't paid out until Week 1. Unlike Irsay, Jones' hand is not being forced. And even if they were to trade him during the season, they'd only be paying a prorated portion of his salary. Romo also took the field last season and showed that he's physically capable of playing. Unlike Manning, he actually has trade value. 

I do think it's kind of low for Jones to hold Romo in limbo, when he's obviously already told him that they're moving on. They were apparently ready to release him, then they realized that a couple teams really wanted him, so now they're trying to squeeze something out of them. At least, that's my read on it. I don't think Irsay would have handled the situation the same way, if the circumstances were exactly the same, but that's conjecture on my part.

Heard some talking heads speculate they are doing it to give Tony time to mull over his options.  Obviously no clue if that's accurate.  Just something to consider.  I would have to think the boys have given him and his agent permission to seek a trade

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Heard some talking heads speculate they are doing it to give Tony time to mull over his options.  Obviously no clue if that's accurate.  Just something to consider.  I would have to think the boys have given him and his agent permission to seek a trade

Yeah, or retire. 

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

But you call jerry Jones an butt head.  Whatever that means.  

Cause he tells the world he's gonna release him so tony says his goodbye and thanks the fans and then Jerry changes his mind like a child more then likely cause he is butthurt that tony will play in Texas 

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Cause he tells the world he's gonna release him so tony says his goodbye and thanks the fans and then Jerry changes his mind like a child more then likely cause he is butthurt that tony will play in Texas 

Again,  You have no clue what you're talking about.  Has romos agent said anything?

11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He literally said they were releasing him? Where have you been?

Do you think ,  Maybe,  perhaps,  There is a reason that we don't know about is the reason?  If romo was upset,  his agent would be all over espn

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Do you think ,  Maybe,  perhaps,  There is a reason that we don't know about is the reason?  If romo was upset,  his agent would be all over espn

This has nothing to do with if he's happy or not it just makes Jerry look dumb but oh well that old fool does that with ease 

I think Jerry Jones was going to release Tony but then the Texans got something for Brock Osweiler.

Jerry probably thinks Houston can trade for Romo's salary now that they unloaded Brock's paycheck.

The Cowboys probably want to get rid of Romo's salary but they actually dont have to do it now...

.....They can wait until training camp if they want..

Denver cant afford Romo's salary. I think they're out of it

Chad, 

I'm not a big numbers guy in terms of bonuses or salary cap hits team wise. I never keep track of that stuff or concern myself with it.  But, like you, I just am glad that Jimmy made his decision to cut ties, go in a new direction, & not leave the Colts fan base hanging or floating in limbo wondering who the real field general was after 2011. 

The thing that baffles me about Jerry Jones is this: The Dallas fanbase has accepted Dak as their new fearless leader. Why in the hades is Jerry flip flopping, floundering, & reluctant to sever ties with Tony man? I say that because Tony is brittle, injury prone, & rarely ever finishes a 16 week season. 

Just cut 9 loose already, he's not taking Houston to a SB. He will be on the PUP list by week 6. Book it. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Romo also took the field last season and showed that he's physically capable of playing. Unlike Manning, he actually has trade value. 

No, Romo doesn't. He hasn't played meaningful football in almost 2 years Supes. 

Tell me how many NFC Championship Games has Romo played in? Zero. Wait it out Texans, Give Jones nothing. Cause that's what Romo is worth--absolutely nothing...

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Tell me how many NFC Championship Games has Romo played in? Zero. Wait it out Texans, Give Jones nothing. Cause that's what Romo is worth--absolutely nothing...

This is inaccurate.

33 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Denver cant afford Romo's salary. I think they're out of it

John Elway has no interest in Romo because his body is breaking down with his nagging back injuries & broken clavicles in recent memory. 

I'd stick with Trevor too. If that o-line gets tweaked for the better, they will be alright I think. Just thinking out loud. 

12 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Which part exactly? Are you talking about that pointless TD series vs the Eagles? A tiny sample size, which proves nothing. 

Romo definetly has value to a team that is a QB away. This Romo hate sounds like steven a smith rhetoric. Finding a QB who can put up numbers constitantly in the NFL is not as easy to come by as you are implying. 

5 minutes ago, life long said:

Romo definetly has value to a team that is a QB away. This Romo hate sounds like steven a smith rhetoric. Finding a QB who can put up numbers constitantly in the NFL is not as easy to come by as you are implying. 

Tony Romo body is breaking down sir. That is not rhetoric or "hate" with all due respect sir. 

When was the last time #9 was upright all 16 weeks of the regular season? It's been a long time in football yrs since 2014. 

When did I say it was easy to acquire an experienced QB exactly? Answer---I never did. 

Here's what I find funny. People tend to confuse objectivity with hated sometimes. Do I have anything against Tony personally? No. Do I understand why Bob McNair owner of Texans would want to sign Romo to get Houston over the playoff hump? Sure, I do.

But, here's the problem: Tony has a history of nagging back problems & broken collar bones. So, let's say Jerry cuts Romo lose, the Texans grab him, he takes them to 5 wins straight out of the gate & then he gets sacked & breaks who knows what else & then Savage takes them as far as he can go with no NFC Championship. Meanwhile, Romo is chilling on the bench in street clothes like an expensive paper weight. The risk is not worth the reward because Romo is breaking down & he's never even taken the Cowboys to a Championship game in over a decade. How much time does the dude need to prove that #9 hasn't built an NFL resume that shows you he can cross the SB finish line man? 

Lastly, there's no Benjamin Button syndrome in football. Translation: As QBs get older, the likelihood of lingering injuries & ailments proliferates not decreases in the collision sport that is professional football. That's a fact not an exaggeration either. 

Look, if Tony Romo takes the Texans to a SB, I will congratulate him & admit that I was wrong, but he won't. 

Houston does have a stout defense & a good ground game. But, if the fanbase is placing all their hopes & dreams on Romo's health that's a bad or dicey investment to me. Injury disappointment is right around the next bend. I truly believe that. Stick with Tom Savage, who is showing signs of improvement IMO. 

Notice I said essentially play in a SB as my Romo benchmark as opposed to mandating a Lombardi trophy victory. A feasible goal & pretty generous on my part I think. That's not too much to ask from #9 in my estimation. 

14 hours ago, southwest1 said:

John Elway has no interest in Romo because his body is breaking down with his nagging back injuries & broken clavicles in recent memory. 

I'd stick with Trevor too. If that o-line gets tweaked for the better, they will be alright I think. Just thinking out loud. 

I think Elway would sign Romo is he was released..he just doesnt want to pay for the right to sign him

I know back injuries can mess you up (just ask Tiger) but, keep in mind, Elway signed Peyton when he was coming off much worse injuries and Peyton's first four or five games weren't really good

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Look, if Tony Romo takes the Texans to a SB, I will congratulate him & admit that I was wrong, but he won't. 

Houston does have a stout defense & a good ground game. But, if the fanbase is placing all their hopes & dreams on Romo's health that's a bad or dicey investment to me. Injury disappointment is right around the next bend. I truly believe that. Stick with Tom Savage, who is showing signs of improvement IMO. 

Notice I said essentially play in a SB as my Romo benchmark as opposed to mandating a Lombardi trophy victory. A feasible goal & pretty generous on my part I think. That's not too much to ask from #9 in my estimation. 

I hear you..I just don't think Tom Savage is a realistic option for a playoff team.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I think Elway would sign Romo is he was released..he just doesnt want to pay for the right to sign him

I know back injuries can mess you up (just ask Tiger) but, keep in mind, Elway signed Peyton when he was coming off much worse injuries and Peyton's first four or five games weren't really good

Peyton hadn't missed a game in his NFL career up to that point in the 2011 season, so Elway could place his bets on the fact that Peyton, when healthy enough to play, would be smart enough with his style of play like he had shown all his career to keep upright as much as possible.

Romo, however, does not have the same longevity credibility prior to the 2016 season that Peyton had, prior to that 2011 season. There in lies the difference, IMO. Both would have incentive laden contracts with physicals to pass etc. like Peyton had to pass after year 1 to get $40 mil. guaranteed for the next 2 years. However, Romo's chances of getting hurt, IMO, would be greater based on history and style of play than Peyton, when both start a season upright and healthy.

However, like southwest, I felt Irsay made it easier on Peyton, himself and the Colts fans by giving clear direction to the franchise and Peyton by moving on. In the same situation as Jerry Jones, I am confident Irsay would have still moved on from Romo.

While Irsay does care about the Colts, his care for the players accompanies it if they don't conflict massively. By designating Romo as a June 1 cut even though he releases him now, Jerry Jones would do right with Romo AND the Cowboys, hence it peeves me that he is grand standing with no obvious benefit to the Cowboys whether he designates Romo as a June 1 cut now or then. A hypothetical draft pick that he is not going to get in a game of "I dare you" with the Texans or Broncos is not reason enough for me. It is almost a case of "if I cannot have the toy, I'd rather you not have it" mentality, which is childish to me.

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Tony Romo body is breaking down sir. That is not rhetoric or "hate" with all due respect sir. 

When was the last time #9 was upright all 16 weeks of the regular season? It's been a long time in football yrs since 2014. 

When did I say it was easy to acquire an experienced QB exactly? Answer---I never did. 

To imply something, means you did not have to say exactly that. No arguement there, but you did say Romo has absolutely no value. Which when on the field, he clearly does have value. Some even think he could be the difference for a SB push for qb needy teams.

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

So are you of the belief that, championships in the NFL are won by mostly one player?

Totally different situation. 

The Colts got to tank for the #1 overall draft pick in 2011. To my belief, Manning was as good as gone the minute Polian decided to go with Painter and bring in a washed up Kerry Collins. That was a marvelous tank job and it worked effectively.

When Dallas selected Dak Prescott last year, no one expected him to turn out to be great. Many people graded the Cowboys with a bad draft due to Ezekiel Elliot's behavior issues and many thought Dak wasn't going to be much of a factor. Last year, Dallas was lucky to hit on those draft picks. Take Dak off that team, they would've been 4-12 again. The Cowboys didn't tank, as without a starting QB weather it be Romo or Dak, they're a pretty average to awful team. 

6 minutes ago, life long said:

To imply something, means you did not have to say exactly that. No arguement there, but you did say Romo has absolutely no value. Which when on the field, he clearly does have value. Some even think he could be the difference for a SB push for qb needy teams.

Romo's body is breaking down. He will be 37 years old within this month. He's had several injuries in the past few years and injuries have put him on the sidelines the last two years. 

The only way he could make a SB push for any team needing a QB, is if he some how stays 100% healthy, but that is almost asking for too much with a player who has a history of injury problems. 

1 hour ago, Synthetic said:

Totally different situation. 

The Colts got to tank for the #1 overall draft pick in 2011. To my belief, Manning was as good as gone the minute Polian decided to go with Painter and bring in a washed up Kerry Collins. That was a marvelous tank job and it worked effectively.

When Dallas selected Dak Prescott last year, no one expected him to turn out to be great. Many people graded the Cowboys with a bad draft due to Ezekiel Elliot's behavior issues and many thought Dak wasn't going to be much of a factor. Last year, Dallas was lucky to hit on those draft picks. Take Dak off that team, they would've been 4-12 again. The Cowboys didn't tank, as without a starting QB weather it be Romo or Dak, they're a pretty average to awful team. 

There was no tank job.  That's been debunked numerous times.  Nice try though

19 hours ago, southwest1 said:

How many championship games would Brady have played in if they had fired Belichick and replaced him with Wade Phillips?  If Romo had been allowed to play many years with Parcells the conversation would be totally different.

19 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Romo has been a far better qb than most that have gone to NFCCGs.  The team around him and coaching staffs he has had have cost them in the past.   

22 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Which part exactly? Are you talking about that pointless TD series vs the Eagles? A tiny sample size, which proves nothing. 

The part where you said Romo is worthless and has no trade value. 

Also the part where you suggest that it's a deficiency in Romo that has magically blocked the Cowboys from going further in the playoffs.

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

The part where you said Romo is worthless and has no trade value. 

Also the part where you suggest that it's a deficiency in Romo that has magically blocked the Cowboys from going further in the playoffs.

Romo has been a far better qb than many are willing to admit.  If they had the team they have now 10 years ago,  I bet he has a ring