Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not trading down on 1st Round

Misdirection by Irsay/Ballard....... they will add more picks but only in the 3rd Round for more 4th and later Rounds. First two round is very important and they will the draft come to them, with Talent, Defense and then Offense being the priority. Talent, Talent, Talent is the mantra. Why???? Because coaches need talented players to mold them into their schemes. 

25 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Misdirection by Irsay/Ballard....... they will add more picks but only in the 3rd Round for more 4th and later Rounds. First two round is very important and they will the draft come to them, with Talent, Defense and then Offense being the priority. Talent, Talent, Talent is the mantra. Why???? Because coaches need talented players to mold them into their schemes. 

Look at the way they approached FA.   They were replacing a lot of players not just trying to get the one big name.  Ballard is cleaning house and that means he wants as many picks as he can get.

There is plenty of talent in rounds 2-4 to pick up very good players on D.

We dont have to be the 85 Bears to win the division, or even the SB for that matter.  We have to protect Luck.

Put together a D right now that can hold opponents under 19 pts a game and we win most of them next yr.

Lots of upgrades are needed on this team.  And I believe most of those players can be had in the later rounds, and the more picks you have the better the chance of getting a few players to do it

2 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Put together a D right now that can hold opponents under 19 pts a game and we win most of them next yr.

Giving up 19/game would pretty much make us a top 10, maybe even top 5 defense. That's likely not happening in 1 offseason. I'd love to be wrong about that, but it's hard to imagine that quick of a transformation.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Giving up 19/game would pretty much make us a top 10, maybe even top 5 defense. That's likely not happening in 1 offseason. I'd love to be wrong about that, but it's hard to imagine that quick of a transformation.

It's almost certainly not happening without a major infusion of talent through the draft. A couple of 4th rounders aren't going to get it done. 

If this post is about the Colts giving off signs that they're trading down then I'm not on board with that at all. 

In fact I'd be more interested in trading back up into the first round and finding 2 difference making players for that defense rather than adding numbers and depth. 

Im not going to disagree with the idea that Ballard is cleaning house. But I think he has upgraded at ILB, OLB. Don't underestimate what one really good Rush LB can do for a defense. If he is able to get a guy that can produce 12 sacks or a combination of guys who together put up 16-20 this defense becomes a heck of a lot better and we're probably back to 11 wins. But, in order take that next step and be ready to compete for the AFC title I agree there has to be a number of upgrades, CB, S, etc besides the stud Rush LB. I think we will significantly upgrade some positions from this draft or atleast have the chance to. I still think this draft can put us back into contention for the AFC south and more but all of it depends more on Luck's recovery.

1 hour ago, theanarchist said:

Im not going to disagree with the idea that Ballard is cleaning house. But I think he has upgraded at ILB, OLB. Don't underestimate what one really good Rush LB can do for a defense. If he is able to get a guy that can produce 12 sacks or a combination of guys who together put up 16-20 this defense becomes a heck of a lot better and we're probably back to 11 wins. But, in order take that next step and be ready to compete for the AFC title I agree there has to be a number of upgrades, CB, S, etc besides the stud Rush LB. I think we will significantly upgrade some positions from this draft or atleast have the chance to. I still think this draft can put us back into contention for the AFC south and more but all of it depends more on Luck's recovery.

This team is all about Luck. We could go any directions in this draft. Your right though about Andrew Luck.

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Hey you never know the Giants did it lol

6 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It's

So

Difficult

to read

your

given all

it's

grammatical

whacked

out

ness.

Fix

IT

PLEASE

That must of taken a good 10 mins to do that haha

9 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

our d last year was ranked 6th in the redzone, pretty good, the problem is that we allowed 24.5 points per game (good enough for 21st), if we can take just 1 TD away a game on D per game, we're top 5.  if we limit one less field goal, we're top 15.  So I don't think it's entirely out of the possibilities. 

Just now, csmopar said:

our d last year was ranked 6th in the redzone, pretty good, the problem is that we allowed 24.5 points per game (good enough for 21st), if we can take just 1 TD away a game on D per game, we're top 5.  if we limit one less field goal, we're top 15.  So I don't think it's entirely out of the possibilities. 

No it's not impossible, but it's going to be a lot of new faces, and I'm just not sure we have the right coaching staff in place on that side of the ball.

12 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The NYG did it...they improved from 28 pts/game to 18 pts/game in one season...which was a bigger jump than what the Colts would need to get in that range.

However, the NYG actually pulled the trigger on Collins when he was available. They also were aggressive in FA...and signed multiple impact players on defense (Harrison, Jenkins, Vernon). They drafted a CB in round 1 last year as well...to add to their stud pairing of DRC and Jenkins.

The Colts missed out on Collins and haven't really signed any impact players (Sheard maybe). They probably will go CB early in the draft...but they only have Davis at the position.

It's not impossible...but I just don't think the Colts are ready to make that type of leap.

Just now, shastamasta said:

The Colts missed out on Collins and haven't really signed any impact players (Sheard maybe). They probably will go CB early in the draft.

It's not impossible...but I just don't think the Colts are ready to make that type of leap.

Pretty much everyone is underestimating signing John Simon, I'm not sure why that is. He was a solid player for Houston, he was just buried on the depth chart because their LB corps is absolutely stacked.

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Pretty much everyone is underestimating signing John Simon, I'm not sure why that is. He was a solid player for Houston, he was just buried on the depth chart because their LB corps is absolutely stacked.

Most Texan fans considered Simon JAG.  A decent fill in.  If people here are expected JJ, they're going to be disappointed.  So forget the Texans references.

The question for us is will he be an upgrade from last year?  Well, he's younger, no question there.  That's all we can say for now.  

Just now, Smonroe said:

Most Texan fans considered Simon JAG.  A decent fill in.  If people here are expected JJ, they're going to be disappointed.  So forget the Texans references.

The question for us is will he be an upgrade from last year?  Well, he's younger, no question there.  That's all we can say for now.  

He had 3.5 sacks and a forced fumble in 11 games last year, as a backup. Hard to imagine how he won't double that sack total if he ends up being a starter.

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Solid player does not necessarily equal impact player. The NYG signed three All-Pros in FA before last season.

As for Simon, before missing the last five games of the season (which never really gets discussed), he was on pace to play 75% of the defensive snaps (Mercilus played in 86% for reference)...so he wasn't exactly buried on the depth chart. The fact that he played on a stacked defense could mean that he could produce even more in a bigger role. But it also could mean he is somewhat of a byproduct of that defense...benefiting from teams focusing on Clowney, Watt (in 2015), Mercilus and McKinney.

I am not saying Simon is a bad player. I think the signing made sense for the Colts. But I also don't think it's a slam dunk. And I don't really think you can even underestimate Simon at this point...because we will just have to see how he does on the Colts. 

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Solid player does not necessarily equal impact player. The NYG signed three All-Pros in FA before last season.

As for Simon, before missing the last five games of the season (which never really gets discussed), he was on pace to play 75% of the defensive snaps (Mercilus played in 86% for reference)...so he wasn't exactly buried on the depth chart. The fact that he played on a stacked defense could mean that he could produce even more in a bigger role. But it also could mean he is somewhat of a byproduct of that defense...benefiting from teams focusing on Clowney, Watt (in 2015), Mercilus and McKinney.

I am not saying Simon is a bad player. I think the signing made sense for the Colts. But I also don't think it's a slam dunk. And I don't really think you can even underestimate Simon at this point...because we will just have to see how he does on the Colts. 

I think come week 1 when we see these new LBs on the field that can actually run and make tackles, we're not going to get too caught up with "impact player" or any other labels. We'll all just be happy to have someone out there who actually knows what they're doing, that alone is an upgrade.

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I think come week 1 when we see these new LBs on the field that can actually run and make tackles, we're not going to get too caught up with "impact player" or any other labels. We'll all just be happy to have someone out there who actually knows what they're doing, that alone is an upgrade.

Yes, they should be an upgrade over Cole and Mathis.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He had 3.5 sacks and a forced fumble in 11 games last year, as a backup. Hard to imagine how he won't double that sack total if he ends up being a starter.

I know you know it's not that simple. Offenses wont have to account for JJ or Clowney and let him run free.  

I'm a Buckeye, and I love having him on our team.  My point was that some people may be expecting too much from him.  And that Walden and Mathis, while not elite talent, were probably as good as him last year.

Upgrade?  We'll see. 

33 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I know you know it's not that simple. Offenses wont have to account for JJ or Clowney and let him run free.  

I'm a Buckeye, and I love having him on our team.  My point was that some people may be expecting too much from him.  And that Walden and Mathis, while not elite talent, were probably as good as him last year.

Upgrade?  We'll see. 

It's definitely not that simple, but for now, I do trust Ballard's instincts when it comes to putting together a decent front 7.

On 3/30/2017 at 9:42 PM, AustexColt said:

So the team needs to add talent on the offense and defense?  It's brilliant in it's simplicity, I hope know other team will try that same strategy.

I believe Colts want to trade down to get Charles Harris and hope to pickup a 3rd or 4th rd pick.

The person I believe they are targeting the most is Charles Harris. From Bleacher - Matt Miller mentions this.

After the Solomon Thomas then you have the question who will be the next defensive linebacker or pass rusher will be taken.

After S. Thomas, based on mocks or big board - it is coin flip if it will be Hassan Reddick or Charles Harris who will be taken as the next tier of players.

I feel that these players can go anywhere between picks 15-20 or 20-25. Which makes sense in why Ballard wants to trade down little more to get another pick.

So I believe Colts want to trade down to get Charles Harris and hope to pickup a 3rd or 4th rd pick. 

( the only exception to this i believe is if players who are in top 10 fallout - Jonathan Allen {shoulder reason or didn't test well at combine} or Reuben Foster {combine incident} - where I feel Ballard would go with best player available and select one of these guys over - Charles Harris. )