Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jabrill Peppers Scouting Report - the one true 5 down player

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Sounds like we have a better version in Clayton Geathers. 

I don't know about better, but it's definitely my thoughts when I watch Peppers, which that I don't see the need for Peppers when we already have a guy who's pretty good at doing much of the same thing. Regardless there are better guys to be had at our 15th pick. 

I'm a Michigan fan, and I think Peppers was over rated going into the draft season. The biggest problem with the Cols drafting Peppers, is where do you play him? He will be a fist rounder, and make a impact for a team in 2017, but it will be a team with a semi established defense already in place. The Colts have too many holes of the defensive side of the ball to roll the dice in the first round.  I see him going to a Patriots/Falcons type of team.

A different NFL scout take on Peppers-

15. SS–JABRIL PEPPERS (rsSO)–MICHIGAN
All the talk about what he is and where to play him. I see him as a safety who can clover a slot and be a superb blitzer. With his skill versatility, he can be elite in sub packages.
Certainly, he can be a great special teams ace and even return kicks if you need him to. You could give him ready in short order to give snaps at running back or slot receiver—but I see that as extra value and not the reason you ultimately take him. I see him similar as a playmaker to Budda Baker, Tyrann Mathieu, Bob Sanders and a player that I drafted in the 8th round years ago—Blaine Bishop. Peppers will immediately impact the return game and will be a versatile talent at safety or nickel. Anything you need him to do in the NFL, he’s already done it. Peppers took part in drills as both a linebacker and defensive back in Indianapolis. I don’t see his frame holding up to play linebacker like Deone Buchanon or Sua Cravens but that is in the equation as well. The 5-foot-10 7/8, 213-pounder turned in 4.47 seconds at combine. He is built like a running back and showed he can thrive in space with the ball as a return man in college. He turned in 19 reps on the bench press and has 9 5/8-inch hands. He also has 30 3/4-inch arms and a 74-inch wingspan. Jacksonville Jaguars S Johnathan Cyprien came into the league and has had a hard time finding his niche and depending on coaching and scheme, some of the same issues could exist with Peppers but creative coaching will have no issue using him effectively. The reason I have him stacked below Baker is that he is not as physical as physical as he is and while I know Baker is a safety, I think Peppers is a safety who might be more of a box safety/nickel backer who doesn’t play well in the back end and is just OK in man coverage. He does have a knack for blitzing and finding the ball in the box.

39 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Clayton is a proven NFL safety. Yeah I think he's better. 

Peppers is a very versatile player.  He is not as strong as Clayton, but he is quicker and faster and is a tremendous athlete and football player.

But you are correct that we don't need Peppers because we have Geathers,  but if we had him he would be our starting SS by about halfway through the season. Maybe move Geathers to a LB spot. IDK....  Or play lots of Big Nickle with both on the field and Peppers covering the slot.

Doesnt matter I want Lamp with our 1st.....  Gotta protect 12

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Would a tandem of Geathers and Peppers work? Peppers would free up possibly at least one spot on the roster due to his ST value. I really think he is a wild card pick at 15. 

Can Clayton Geathers assume the Free Safety role?  I think he is our strong safety. Peppers is also a SS in Bob Sanders type of mold.  Now the kicker, can T.J. Green advance fast enough in OTA's and training camp to play FS at a high level? Ot target one in the draft?  I have no idea.

38 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Can Clayton Geathers assume the Free Safety role?  I think he is our strong safety. Peppers is also a SS in Bob Sanders type of mold.  Now the kicker, can T.J. Green advance fast enough in OTA's and training camp to play FS at a high level? Ot target one in the draft?  I have no idea.

Marcus Williams/Eddie Jackson. Real FS.  

I think Clayton stays at SS. Who knows if Green can play FS, that's TBD. 

After watching the tape on Peppers, he is better than Geathers IMO WAY MORE ATHLETIC!! I think he could be a very valuable piece in what Pagano is trying to do on defense. Honestly after watching that tape, wouldn't surprise me if the Colts did draft him. He wasn't on my radar as a guy to draft, but he is now.

6 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

After watching the tape on Peppers, he is better than Geathers IMO WAY MORE ATHLETIC!! I think he could be a very valuable piece in what Pagano is trying to do on defense. Honestly after watching that tape, wouldn't surprise me if the Colts did draft him. He wasn't on my radar as a guy to draft, but he is now.

If a guy grades even with another guy to be taken, it's special teams ability that gives one the nod over the other. Because, unless your are an elite talent, this is the place most rooks can play and have immediate impact for a team. Peppers can be an impact punt returner, for sure.

How he fits in otherwise...  :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Can't believe Mayock actually has him rated ahead of Hooker and Adams he must be smoking crack 

Form everything I've seen and been able to digest, I do not concur with his player assessment.

Pretty sure it's not any substance abuse,  ;-)  just Grade Abuse.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Form everything I've seen and been able to digest, I do not concur with his player assessment.

Pretty sure it's not any substance abuse,  ;-)  just Grade Abuse.

I laugh everytime it goes across the bottom of NFLN haha just stupid 

19 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If a guy grades even with another guy to be taken, it's special teams ability that gives one the nod over the other. Because, unless your are an elite talent, this is the place most rooks can play and have immediate impact for a team. Peppers can be an impact punt returner, for sure.

How he fits in otherwise...  :dunno:

He could play IMO slot CB, FS, SS, Could come up and play Inside LB on passing downs. He is fast, physical, and can play press coverage and has recover speed. Other than all that stuff hes not very good. LOL

10 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

He could play IMO slot CB, FS, SS, Could come up and play Inside LB on passing downs. He is fast, physical, and can play press coverage and has recover speed. Other than all that stuff hes not very good. LOL

Agree. Ultimately, do we trust our coaches to get the most out of what he does well? That is what it boils down to, IMO.

He would fit a lot of needs on D with his versatility if used right. He cannot be used as a LB for all downs, and a FS for all downs. I'd say make him a 2nd FS in a 3 safety look and a blitzing/inside LB on passing downs. With the shortage of quality CBs on our roster, I'd have to say play 3 safeties more than 3 CBs.

15 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He's a starter isn't he? He is proven

He has started humm how many games. Probably not even 16 games, which is a full season. Don't get me wrong I like Clayton and see potential, but he hasn't proven to dependable physically & he is easily still a work in progress in coverage IMO. He honestly IMO is hard to know what you have because you don't get to watch him play enough games CONSECUTIVELY to know EXACTLY what you have or how good or not he may be! IMO the jury is still out on him and I have seen glimpses of his potential but proven I think not. Also just because you start doesn't mean your good you could start on a cruddy team with bad talent.

1 minute ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

He has started humm how many games. Probably not even 16 games, which is a full season. Don't get me wrong I like Clayton and see potential, but he hasn't proven to dependable physically & he is easily still a work in progress in coverage IMO. He honestly IMO is hard to know what you have because you don't get to watch him play enough games CONSECUTIVELY to know EXACTLY what you have or how good or not he may be! IMO the jury is still out on him and I have seen glimpses of his potential but proven I think not. Also just because you start doesn't mean your good you could start on a cruddy team with bad talent.

He didn't say he was a proven all pro he said proven starter in the NFL he was last year and will be this year 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Agree. Ultimately, do we trust our coaches to get the most out of what he does well? That is what it boils down to, IMO.

He would fit a lot of needs on D with his versatility if used right. He cannot be used as a LB for all downs, and a FS for all downs. I'd say make him a 2nd FS in a 3 safety look and a blitzing LB on passing downs. With the shortage of quality CBs on our roster, I'd have to say play 3 safeties more than 3 CBs.

Agree

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

He didn't say he was a proven all pro he said proven starter in the NFL he was last year and will be this year 

If you think so have at it, again like the potential of him, proven for a guy who has played what 10/12 games in 2 years!! And you have know idea what happens this year other than you hope!! Anderson we hope will be good!! Based on what we have seen from Clayton so far is he will tantalize the fans with his potential once more playing in 5 to 7 games and then get hurt. I hope that doesn't happen, I would love to see how good he may or may not be. Lets hope he reaches is full potential and stays healthy. Then I would be inclined to say he is PROVEN!

Just now, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

If you think so have at it, again like the potential of him, proven for a guy who has played what 10/12 games in 2 years!! And you have know idea what happens this year other than you hope!! Anderson we hope will be good!! Based on what we have seen from Clayton so far is he will tantalize the fans with his potential once more playing in 5 to 7 games and then get hurt. I hope that doesn't happen, I would love to see how good he may or may not be. Lets hope he reaches is full potential and stays healthy. Then I would be inclined to say he is PROVEN!

lmao who on the team is better NO ONE 

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Well he's one bright spot so I'm sure Ballard isn't gonna focus to much on replacing him when there are terrible players to replace 

That is true, and he is a bright spot, I didn't say replace him, but IMO he needs to play more to be proven as a reliable solid starter in the NFL. If he  could stay healthy, Green improves, and say you draft a guy like Peppers, wow that could be fun to watch.

6 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

That is true, and he is a bright spot, I didn't say replace him, but IMO he needs to play more to be proven as a reliable solid starter in the NFL. If he  could stay healthy, Green improves, and say you draft a guy like Peppers, wow that could be fun to watch.

id be a fan of drafting peppers if we traded back a little

not the biggest need on the team, but it would make an interesting line up

butler to the slot, green to the bench,  peppers and geathers at safety

8 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Hell no to peppers 

2 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Oops that right the colts secondary is solid got it!

We need a starting CB before S plus you can get good S later in this draft Eddie Jackson from bama is a beast he will be available later improve our terrible ILB spot or get a CB opposite Davis at 15 

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We need a starting CB before S plus you can get good S later in this draft Eddie Jackson from bama is a beast he will be available later improve our terrible ILB spot or get a CB opposite Davis at 15 

Eddie Jackson is the better safety anyway. He has superior ball skills, he's versatile, disciplined, instinctive, and is just as dangerous as a returner. 

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Peppers can play corner and play man press corner to boot! If Jackson was a true beast he would be a first round pick! Look this started with Clayton is a proven  starter I have given my option of that! Peppers if draft after watching the film I would be ok with! He is NOT my PREFERED PICK I want to draft Reddick personally. Lots of holes on this defense really Imo NO ONES JOB IS SAFE! A stud in any position on defense would be a welcome sight because there aren't any IMO!