Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D'onta Foreman runs 4.4 at Pro Day

nfl-35.png  NFL | D'Onta Foreman impresses at pro day    Wed Mar 29, 11:13 PM

Texas RB D'Onta Foreman, who was held out of the 2017 NFL Scouting Combine due to a stress fracture in his foot, ran the 40-yard dash in a 4.45 seconds at his school's pro day on Tuesday, March 28. The 234-pound Foreman also recorded a 33-inch vertical jump and 10-foot broad jump. Foreman’s pass catching really stood out in drills as he made every catch, grabbing the ball away from his frame. There was no body catching, bobbling of the ball or double-catching.

Link to story

15 minutes ago, Archer said:

Wow!  He was off my board as a plodder.  This is a game changer for him...

For me, it was always between he and Hunt for a Round 3 pick. I am not sure either will be there in Round 4? Love Foreman's speed and size. I wouldn't mind seeing us draft Lamp in Round 1, a Pass Rusher in Round 2 BPA at Pass Rush whoever that may be, and 1 of those RB's in Round 3. Then with the rest of our picks just go all Defense, maybe a couple of more LB's and a CB in that mix. Put Lamp and Foreman on our Offense we could be really tough to stop with better Line play and a young solid RB.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For me, it was always between he and Hunt for a Round 3 pick. I am not sure either will be there in Round 4? Love Foreman's speed and size. I wouldn't mind seeing us draft Lamp in Round 1, a Pass Rusher in Round 2 BPA at Pass Rush whoever that may be, and 1 of those RB's in Round 3. Then with the rest of our picks just go all Defense, maybe a couple of more LB's and a CB in that mix. Put Lamp and Foreman on our Offense we could be really tough to stop with better Line play and a young solid RB.

Im hoping that the colts don't think the line is set yet. Would really like to see lamp selected. 

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

Im hoping that the colts don't think the line is set yet. Would really like to see lamp selected. 

I know imagine drafting Lamp and then getting a RB like Foreman. Our Offense could potentially be the best in the NFL. Our Line was showing promise toward the end of the season and a solid young RB would take a lot of pressure off of Andrew.

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He's been a 2nd rounder for me for awhile now. And that's too early for us to take a RB. 

I do realize we need Defense badly and I wouldn't take a RB in Round 1 or 2 either but if he's there in Round 3 I would be all over that. I think most of our picks will be Defense anyway. I do like Lamp a lot though.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do realize we need Defense badly and I wouldn't take a RB in Round 1 or 2 either but if he's there in Round 3 I would be all over that. I think most of our picks will be Defense anyway. I do like Lamp a lot though.

I don't think he will be there round 3 though.. and I like Lamp also. Really want a corner in round 1 or 2 though..

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Watch his tape - no way the dude runs a 4.45.  They're all drunk in Texas.

EDIT - On a serious note, good for him.  But I still don't see a 4.45 player on tape.

He's definitely fast. 

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I don't think he will be there round 3 though.. and I like Lamp also. Really want a corner in round 1 or 2 though..

He's definitely fast. 

He's one of those gliders who doesn't really look fast but is moving fast.  He's not my first choice, but he is a good back though.

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He's definitely fast. 

Maybe I'm off.  And his time at his pro day is clear evidence that he's faster than I thought.  Maybe its that he builds to speed and needs a runway.  I never really thought "explosive" when I watched him though.  

3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I agree, he has more "straight line" speed. 

Usually you here the phrase "quicker than fast", but it's the opposite with Foreman. He's more fast than quick. He's got breakaway speed in the open field but he's not going to make anyone miss.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Usually you here the phrase "quicker than fast", but it's the opposite with Foreman. He's more fast than quick. He's got breakaway speed in the open field but he's not going to make anyone miss.

Which is why I think the 2nd round is crazy talk.  He's got Jerome Bettis qualities (though I don't think he's as shifty).  But today's NFL is just different.  There's a place for guys like that, but big bruiser backs just don't take the load like they used to.

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Which is why I think the 2nd round is crazy talk.  He's got Jerome Bettis qualities (though I don't think he's as shifty).  But today's NFL is just different.  There's a place for guys like that, but big bruiser backs just don't take the load like they used to.

power backs are still a thing, just look at legarrette blount.  he had 1100 yards and 18 TDS

he was a 7th round pick, but he fell some due to off the field stuff. 

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

power backs are still a thing, just look at legarrette blount.  he had 1100 yards and 18 TDS

he was a 7th round pick, but he fell some due to off the field stuff. 

It was his only year like that (he generally doesn't break 800 yards in any season other than this past year and his rookie season (7 total seasons)).  He's always been an RBBC committee guy.  And Iw asn't saying there isn't a place for a power back.  I was saying the opposite in fact.  But the point I was trying to make is that power backs aren't the 3 down back they used to be when Bettis was in the league; unless of course it's an unusual talent like Adrian Peterson and perhaps Leonard Fournette.

I would say he's definitely in play.  Bottom line is Colts need a young back they can groom behind Gore and Turbin.  Whether that's 3rd round, 4th, whatever, they need SOMEBODY and this guy should be in the mix as well.  The only thing I would say is if McCaffrey is still there in the 2nd I would think hard about it.  Not saying we should do it but you would have to consider it.  But generally I would like to see Defense with the first two picks.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know imagine drafting Lamp and then getting a RB like Foreman. Our Offense could potentially be the best in the NFL. Our Line was showing promise toward the end of the season and a solid young RB would take a lot of pressure off of Andrew.

Guys, let's not start sounding like the darn dolfans. Every year they're going to the superbowl according to them. Let's be realistic, our OFFENSE will not be the best just because we draft two rookies. Com on man. The Cowboys still exist, the Steelers still exist and the darn pats still exist. I'm a colts fan but not stupid.

26 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't see anything shifty about Jordan Howard but he's a 3 down back.

Howard is (that is, coming out of college) much more decisive and sees the field a heck of a lot better, too.  He was also a thousand times the pass blocker at IU than Foreman is now.  There's more to being a 3 down back than running style.  I know you know this so I'm not trying to be preachy, but I wanted to make the point just the same.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The colts haven't had a running game for over 11 years. 06 we got it done, but that was the last time we managed to be decently good at running the ball. I want to see defenses being forced to respect the run when it comes to our offense. I'm getting tired of seeing our staff think "this line is good enough". Last year proved only one thing. We have a few good building blocks. But if it's enough to make them comfortable with the future that kind of bothers me. Trenches win games. Be dominant there and you're a contender. 

36 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Howard is (that is, coming out of college) much more decisive and sees the field a heck of a lot better, too.  He was also a thousand times the pass blocker at IU than Foreman is now.  There's more to being a 3 down back than running style.  I know you know this so I'm not trying to be preachy, but I wanted to make the point just the same.

I have some problems with his vision myself to be honest.

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Maybe I'm off.  And his time at his pro day is clear evidence that he's faster than I thought.  Maybe its that he builds to speed and needs a runway.  I never really thought "explosive" when I watched him though.  

I watched a bunch of his highlights, It looks like they run some sort of "read" run game that is like what Leveon Bell does with Pittsburgh. Foreman kind of shuffles in the backfield looking for a hole and I think that makes him look slower. But watch when he breaks open. I saw a bunch of long runs where no one catches him. He's pretty fast and he has very quick for a big guy.

He's faster than he looks on tape. The average distance between strides per the average runner is about 2-2.5 yards, whereas Foreman's stride lengths is about a yard further (3-3.5 yards). His legs don't look like they are moving as fast because of that, giving the illusion that he is slow. I would love to get Foreman by trading up to the early third or late seconds by using one of our 3 fourth rounders and our 3rd!

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Guys, let's not start sounding like the darn dolfans. Every year they're going to the superbowl according to them. Let's be realistic, our OFFENSE will not be the best just because we draft two rookies. Com on man. The Cowboys still exist, the Steelers still exist and the darn pats still exist. I'm a colts fan but not stupid.

Well we are already have a Top 5 Offense, so by adding the best Lineman in the Draft and a RB like Foreman paired with Andrew/TY/Doyle, saying our Offense could be the best isn't going out on a limb. I didn't say best team, I was talking an explosive Offense.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

One dimensional RB IMO. Not a fan and certainly hope the Colts don`t draft him. I`d rather have Gallman from Clemson.

Agreed.  No question, they built their offense around him and he's a powerful back.

But he doesn't catch the ball, I don't follow Texas, so he may have not been asked to be a receiver.

More importantly, how is he as a blocker?

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I want Hunt. Hopefully in the 4th. Or trade a couple of later picks to get back in the 3rd for Hunt. I want BPA Defense in the first 3 rounds

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well we are already have a Top 5 Offense, so by adding the best Lineman in the Draft and a RB like Foreman paired with Andrew/TY/Doyle, saying our Offense could be the best isn't going out on a limb. I didn't say best team, I was talking an explosive Offense.

Wait.. Timeout. Andrew/TY/Doyle? So Doyle is the real deal because as a back up in 16' he played well? I mean is he even top 15-20 in the league? Let's not get carried away with optimism. And when did the Colts have a top 5 offense? When? When the rubber hits the road, the Colts have choked every meaningful game, now all of a sudden our Offense is top 5? Where did that come from? What reputable site did that come from?

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Hunt as well. If we pass on Lamp in Round 1 I would be happy with Reddick or BPA on the Defense side.

I watched Hunt a couple of games this year and thought- Man that kid runs with a purpose.

7 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Wait.. Timeout. Andrew/TY/Doyle? So Doyle is the real deal because as a back up in 16' he played well? I mean is he even top 15-20 in the league? Let's not get carried away with optimism. And when did the Colts have a top 5 offense? When? When the rubber hits the road, the Colts have choked every meaningful game, now all of a sudden our Offense is top 5? Where did that come from? What reputable site did that come from?

We averaged 25.7 point a game, ok we were 8th, not Top 5. Wow I was off by 3 spots. 25.7 a game and if we add a solid RB that goes up with ease. We were the 8th best Offense regarding points per game to be 100% correct.