Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's Availability for Training is Key to Timing

AustexColt

We signed Kamar, Brandon, Erik Swoope is new... and maybe a ton of new draft picks. 2nd year OC playbook and strategies. A young OL with moving parts......

Need I say more about how important it will be without Andrew under center.

My biggest fear is that the surgery will not only reduce his throwing during camp and preseason, but that it will affect his confidence  in his throwing motion. This is no small surgery and it has really messed up alot of great QB's. Can you see why Irsay does not want to  rush him!!!???? His franchise QB is on the line. The entire AFC South will be very much improved this season. We could be in last place if Andrew is 60% healthy

5 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

We signed Kamar, Brandon, Erik Swoope is new... and maybe a ton of new draft picks. 2nd year OC playbook and strategies. A young OL with moving parts......

My biggest fear is that the surgery will not only reduce his throwing during camp and preseason, but that it will affect his confidence  in his throwing motion. This is no small surgery and it has really messed up alot of great QB's. Can you see why Irsay does not want to  rush him!!!???? His franchise QB is on the line. The entire AFC South will be very much improved this season. We could be in last place if Andrew is 60% healthy

What great quarterbacks have been messed up by this surgery?

Too early to tell. I wouldn't worry about it. We could also finish in first place if Houston doesn't pick up a QB and doesn't win every close game they have like last season. I don't see any reason why Andrew wont be 100% by the start of the season and better than ever after his surgery. If not maybe us fans can sue his doctors :sarcasm:

18 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Come on man. Kamar Aiken and especially Brandon Williams may not even play major roles on the team and Swoope had a whole year with Luck.

This should make him better if anything. Letting him practice every day instead of always missing a Wednesday or Thursday practice because of the shoulder. Maybe he had pain in the shoulder last year when he played and the surgery will help him improve next year.

They are taking it slow because he has time. The coaching staff is the same. The playmakers are mostly the same. The offensive line may even be the same and Luck has much experience with different offensive lines.

We'll be fine.

8 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I am not concerned with Luck's timing. 

Have him sit out as long as he needs to. 

I am with the front office on this one. You can't be too careful here. 

Right

I think it is more involved than they want us to believe it is and I agree with you.

I also agree with Bluefire4's statement. 

Luck missed a lot of practice time last year.  I know he will miss out on most of the offseason, but practicing during the season is more critical.  Practicing individual game schemes each week and honing his timing with receivers are likely more valuable to him/ team than the offseason sessions.  JMO

I am not asking that Andrew practices injured or if he is not ready. I am just saying that his lack of availability during training will hurt. I agree the right thing to do is to be 100% healed so there is no set backs. What I am concerned which often happens is that even being 100%, Andrew will not have the full motion and strength like he had before

It will hurt some. Remember when Manning missed all offseason with the inflamed bursa in his knee? He was rusty as heck the first 4-5 games of the season and only hit his stride in the second half of the year. So, I think it would be foolish to say that it won't be a at least little bit of a detriment.

14 hours ago, BOTT said:

What great quarterbacks have been messed up by this surgery?

If I remember correctly, Drew Brees had a similar procedure when with San Diego right before free agency, and the Dolphins team doctors had concerns and warned that he shouldn't be signed. As a result, he ended up a Saint, and it led to Nick Saban's demise in Miami.

14 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If I remember correctly, Drew Brees had a similar procedure when with San Diego right before free agency, and the Dolphins team doctors had concerns and warned that he shouldn't be signed. As a result, he ended up a Saint, and it led to Nick Saban's demise in Miami.

And if anything, surgeries and procedures have improved significantly since this time 

17 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Brees had a far more significant injury, and also had rotator cuff damage. He literally could not lower his arm. I remember watching him walk off the field...

56508127.jpg

Just now, Superman said:

Brees had a far more significant injury, and also had rotator cuff damage. He literally could not lower his arm. I remember watching him walk off the field...

56508127.jpg

Wow. I only vaguely remember that, feels like an eternity ago. Also, Brees in a Chargers uni just looks odd now.

20 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

It will hurt some. Remember when Manning missed all offseason with the inflamed bursa in his knee? He was rusty as heck the first 4-5 games of the season and only hit his stride in the second half of the year. So, I think it would be foolish to say that it won't be a at least little bit of a detriment.

Manning had a surprise operation a few weeks before training camp. It was a lower body operation, which affected his stamina and movement ability. For a team that ran a lot of stretch runs and play action off of the stretch, it meant a change to both phases of our offense.

I think the projection at this point is that Luck will be ready for camp, but will likely be limited in the amount of throwing he does. I don't think it's going to have a drastic impact on his timing or his chemistry with the receiving corps. Of course, if he's more than a little limited, then that would change things...

10 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Wow. I only vaguely remember that, feels like an eternity ago. Also, Brees in a Chargers uni just looks odd now.

It was over 10 years now.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2278077

Asked if it's more or less likely that the Chargers will give
him the long-term deal he wants, Brees said: "I think it's the
same situation. In my mind, I feel like I'm going to come back
better than ever after this deal. I wouldn't even call it a
setback. It's an opportunity for me to just get going a little bit
earlier than expected, rehabbing and working out, and making sure
when I come back I'm better than I was when I went in."

Players always say stuff like that, but in Brees' case, it was absolutely true. He's been drastically better in New Orleans than he was in San Diego, and he was good already as a Charger.

46 minutes ago, Superman said:

56508127.jpg

Interesting, do you have any doctor reports you could share showing what injuries and repairs were needed for Luck? Besides coach/owner talk I can't find anything definitive on the seriousness of the injury. Hope it was just clean up and he will be better than ever.

5 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

Interesting, do you have any doctor reports you could share showing what injuries and repairs were needed for Luck? Besides coach/owner talk I can't find anything definitive on the seriousness of the injury. Hope it was just clean up and he will be better than ever.

No, I don't. Irsay said it was a slightly torn labrum. That's as definitive as we'll get, I'm sure.

I do know that Luck was able to actually lower his arm, and he evidently played through shoulder issues in 2015 and 2016, so it's pretty clear that his injury wasn't as serious as Brees'.