Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts among 4 teams most interested in McCaffrey

10 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

I dont know if race is as much prevelant when it comes to the NFL and the reason I say that is the NFL is a win now atmosphere and therefore I think coaches and general managers due their best to find the most talented players out there to play ( exception would be Grigson)

I was speaking mostly about people on this forum, but people in the media make judgements on him that way too at times in a sort of hidden way.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I was speaking mostly about people on this forum, but people in the media make judgements on him that way too at times.

it is kind of like the old stigma that black quarterbacks were "not smart enough". White running backs are unfairly viewed as "not athletic enough". 

Both stigmas are obviously completely wrong. The only way to really change peoples minds is for white running backs to have success in the NFL. That is how the black quarterback stigma was erased.

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

it is kind of like the old stigma that black quarterbacks were "not smart enough". White running backs are unfairly viewed as "not athletic enough". 

Both stigmas are obviously completely wrong. The only way to really change peoples minds is for white running backs to have success in the NFL. That is how the black quarterback stigma was erased.

Same thing for the white cornerback.    I remember Jason Seahorn from a couple years ago.   I didn't even know much about him at first until one Sunday I was watching the Giants play the Rams and I have to admit I was like "Who is that white boy at CB?  That dude is balling!"

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Same thing for the white cornerback.    I remember Jason Seahorn from a couple years ago.   I didn't even know much about him at first until one Sunday I was watching the Giants play the Rams and I have to admit I was like "Who is that white boy at CB?  That dude is balling!"

Been a while since I heard Jason Sehorn's name come up.

You know a lot of white guys in New York still have that #31 jersey in the closet. :)

Not liking this. . . He looks like a WR to me.  I just can't see him holding up through a full season of running between the tackles.

I'm afraid he'd be limited in role to a 3rd down back or he would be moved to slot receiver or something.  Not worth a first.

Why is his size such a concern?  We drafted Donald Brown who was virtually the same size.  Plus he has ran between the guards in college so I do not see why he is glass all of the sudden.  He has great versatility and gives us a great weapon out of the backfield.  I am not saying go for it but the size thing is weird to me.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I don't know the difference between Cook and McCaffrey, so what you are saying I think is true.  As a comparison, Rex Burkhead is a good RB.  He's slower than McCaffrey, and that holds him back from being elite, but he has talent and skill and is often overlooked, except by Bellichick.

I don't think any RB is worth a 1st round pick unless its Barry Sanders.

Not at #15 though  :sarcasm:

14 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not liking this. . . He looks like a WR to me.  I just can't see him holding up through a full season of running between the tackles.

I'm afraid he'd be limited in role to a 3rd down back or he would be moved to slot receiver or something.  Not worth a first.

Exactly... he isn't a between the tackles back... maybe some trap type or misdirection plays... he feels like a wheel route back or slot receiver to me.  Give him the ball in space and let him make plays.  But don't expect him to be Jerome Betis.

I think he would be a perfect fit for us.  He is moving up the mocks pretty quickly.  I wouldn't be surprised if we had him ahead of Cook on our board..  The Eagles picking ahead of us could easily take him though.  If he is there at 15 I would have no problem with the pick. In fact I would love it! 

Ya I wouldn't put too much thought into this. None of the teams listed will realistically draft him except for maybe the eagles. 49ers draft way too early anless they trade back. Broncos are most likely going OL in the 1st. We are likely going Defense and irsay himself said we are looking for a mid round RB. Eagles I can see drafting him

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Mcaffrey is faster than Fournette and Cook and is a way better receiver than both of them.   If the rumors are true I'd bet they are really enamoured with his receiving skills.   He's everything they wanted with Josh Ferguson, plus he can tote the rock 15-20 or more carries if you need him to do that.  Kid has great vision and from what I can tell they were mostly running a Gap Scheme at Stanford with the pulling guards and all that.   We still run some of that stuff with Frank Gore along with whatever changes we made.  He's a fit to me.

I don't disagree at all with what you are saying about his talents.  I'm merely saying that I don't think they add up to a first round pick simply because of positional value, and the value of the RB in the NFL has diminished over the past decade.  I also would not like us picking Fournette or Cook in the first round for that same reason, even though most pundits say they are even superior to McCaffrey.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I don't disagree at all with what you are saying about his talents.  I'm merely saying that I don't think they add up to a first round pick simply because of positional value, and the value of the RB in the NFL has diminished over the past decade.  I also would not like us picking Fournette or Cook in the first round for that same reason, even though most pundits say they are even superior to McCaffrey.

I understand your view.   My view is a little different on the subject but it's no biggie.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

The problem with picks like Dorsett was not the strategy(pick BPA). The problem was that our talent evaluation was bad ... If Dorsett turned into a pro-bowler and all-pro very few would be complaining about the Colts picking him. People are complaining because he's been very underwhelming and not worth the pick he was picked with.

The strategy was bad too.  Wide receiver is an overvalued position and one the colts didn't need to spend a first rounder one.

3 hours ago, #12. said:

If you nail the pick(or trade), the position doesn't matter.  If Richardson were an All-Pro and we had the power running game Grigson hoped for, would anyone be complaining about giving up a 1st?

Yes

2 hours ago, krunk said:

There's no good gawd.   People have stated on this forum their doubts about him because he's a white running back.   I know this and I'm not even white.  No need to get into a long discourse about it.

I'm one of them lol.  Let's be real, name the white running backs that have put together more than 2 good seasons in the last 20 yrs.

I prefer him over cook hands down. Mixon is about the only back i want over mcaffery. Thing is though mcaffery toted the rock up the gut several times a game. His ability too make something out of nothing is amazing. I think this guy is going too change alot of people's minds as long as he gets to start as RB in the league. I'd prefer to trade down but I won't throw my hat if we get him

Quick question about McCaffrey and Cook: Why does everyone want Cook over McCaffrey when McCaffrey proved at the combine that he is by far more explosive? Saying he is too small doesn't work for me because he was listed at the combine at 202 lbs, which yes, is small, but is only 8 lbs lighter than Cook. Yes, Cook may be stronger, but McCaffrey is by far the better player of the two.

Linking their combine profiles so you can compare!

McCaffrey: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/christian-mccaffrey?id=2557997

Cook: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/dalvin-cook?id=2557991

If anything, I say we either trade down to the late first and grab him or hope he falls to our second round pick, and then grab a bruising back to complement him later in the draft (like New England does with their backfield).

5 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Kamara is the better RB (and better fit) IMO...and Kamara is also a very talented pass catch. And most importantly, he might actually be there in round 2. 

Christian is a better pass catcher than Kamara

9 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I would take Christian McCaffrey in the first round, but not at #15.

He would be a good choice after we traded back to Atlanta or New Orleans. That said, I would be moving back to target T.J. Watt (at the end of the first round), and if Watt was off the board then McCaffrey would be a part of plan B. 

I would not have any problem moving back (accumulating picks) and then taking him. 

A trade with Atlanta might look like:

#15 for #31, #63, and 95

A trade with New Orleans might look like:

#15 for #32, #76, and 96

new orleans doesnt have 96.  

I do wonder, though, with this year being soooo deep in RBs (& next year supposedly being almost equally as deep), is it possible teams will, in the first round, simply pass on RBs because they figure there will be excellent 2nd - 5th round RBs available that talent-wise exceed the round?   Ergo, that, surprisingly, RBs might actually slide as teams look to other less deep positions?

If so, then maybe Mccaffrey can slide to mid 2nd round?

2 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Quick question about McCaffrey and Cook: Why does everyone want Cook over McCaffrey when McCaffrey proved at the combine that he is by far more explosive? Saying he is too small doesn't work for me because he was listed at the combine at 202 lbs, which yes, is small, but is only 8 lbs lighter than Cook. Yes, Cook may be stronger, but McCaffrey is by far the better player of the two.

Linking their combine profiles so you can compare!

McCaffrey: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/christian-mccaffrey?id=2557997

Cook: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/dalvin-cook?id=2557991

If anything, I say we either trade down to the late first and grab him or hope he falls to our second round pick, and then grab a bruising back to complement him later in the draft (like New England does with their backfield).

The thing about McCaffrey and Cook....    it's not just 8 pounds of difference.

It's also that Cook is an inch shorter...   5'10" to 5'11"....      so,  8 more pounds on a  body that is an inch shorter makes a difference.       If you saw them side by side wearing only shorts,  you'd see a noticeable difference.

And 5'10" and 210 is already roughly at the low end of acceptable....  

McCaffrey can be an every down RB....    but he has to be used correctly and wisely...

All this talk about trading down is under the assumption that another team is willing and offers enough to make it worth while.

Pick 15 is a valuable pick but making all these guesses on who to trade with is nothing but speculation.

I for one will be glad when the draft is done. It is mind boggling how many threads there are about this draft. I pretty much already know after the draft there will be so many opinions on if the pick was good or bad.

No matter the answer will not be known till the season starts.

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The thing about McCaffrey and Cook....    it's not just 8 pounds of difference.

It's also that Cook is an inch shorter...   5'10" to 5'11"....      so,  8 more pounds on a  body that is an inch shorter makes a difference.       If you saw them side by side wearing only shorts,  you'd see a noticeable difference.

And 5'10" and 210 is already roughly at the low end of acceptable....  

McCaffrey can be an every down RB....    but he has to be used correctly and wisely...

I think McCaffrey will be a very good player in this league but with the depth of RB in this draft I just have a gut feeling that the Colts will not draft a RB in the first round. Being interested is one thing but pulling the trigger is something else.

Ballard might just surprise all of us with his pick and I can only imagine what the differences of reactions will be. haha

20 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think McCaffrey will be a very good player in this league but with the depth of RB in this draft I just have a gut feeling that the Colts will not draft a RB in the first round. Being interested is one thing but pulling the trigger is something else.

Ballard might just surprise all of us with his pick and I can only imagine what the differences of reactions will be. haha

Agreed.....     I don't see it happening either....     we might consider it....    but on balance,  Ballard has time on his side....    he's knows he's got the backing of Irsay,   there's no reason to take a short-sighted approach when you're trying to build a team that will be competitive year after year...

I'm hoping that we pick defense in rounds 1, 2 and 3.      But I won't be surprised if Ballard throws a curve and goes offense (RB or OL) in the first 3 rounds.      I hope not,   but think there's a chance....

Luck almost never throws screens, isn't a dink and dunk guy, and isn't really one to dump off to his RB.  That's one of his issues and why he gets hit so often.  He would rather make a play downfield.  So, there would have to be some changes to his game for Christian to be a main cog in our team.  Maybe that's the plan going forward to have that release valve with YAC ability.  Hhmmm, Ballard  , did mention  using Turbin more on 1st and 2nd downs.   

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Athletic mover with twitchy reflexes. Sudden in space with the lower body agility to easily spring in any direction, transition his weight and shake defenders. Instinctively sorts through the trash with innate anticipation and decision-making, hitting the hole with timing and quickness. Excellent zone patience to feel run lanes. Widescreen vision to be picky, but decisive. Gets his shoulders square to the hole and stays skinny. Very smart runner, knowing when to fight for more yardage and when the fight is over. Natural receiver with above average hand-eye coordination and soft hands. Better route runner than several top receiving prospects in this class, using tempo and body fakes to shift gears and separate. Exceptional catch-and-run athlete and fearless on the football field. Impact return ability, averaging 9.7 yards on punts (39/380) and 25.9 on kick returns (57/1,479) over his Stanford career, recording two career special teams touchdowns (one punt, one kickoff). Adequate body thickness and stayed relatively healthy considering he touched the ball 748 times the past two seasons. Rarely puts the ball on the ground with only three career fumbles. Impressive bloodlines -- father (Ed) played football at Stanford (1986-91) and then for 13 seasons in the NFL, winning three Super Bowls; mother (Lisa) played soccer at Stanford (1987-90); maternal grandfather (David Sime) was a silver medalist in the 100-meter dash in the 1960 Summer Olympics. Remarkable production as the only player in Stanford history with 2,000+ all-purpose yards in consecutive seasons, leaving school No. 3 on the all-time rushing list (3,922).

WEAKNESSES: Adequate build for the position, but doesn't have ideal body armor to live between the tackles. Lacks lower-the-shoulder power and doesn't consistently drive through arm tackles -- unless diving forward, rarely pushes through contact with run strength alone. Quicker than fast and can be caught from behind. Overly patient at times, allowing defenders to reset and make stops. Undeveloped technique in pass protection, dropping his head and lunging. Elected to leave his team prior to the bowl game in order to prepare for the 2017 NFL Draft, which might be received differently by future teammates/coaches. Banged up in 2016 and wasn't himself for a four-week stretch due to injury -- how will he hold up to NFL punishment?

IMOP He can become a every down back but needs work, Do not see the Colts using a 1st on Him

If we'd invested in our defense last year and shown some sort of improvement on that side of the ball I would have loved to pick McCaffrey this time around. 

Unfortunately I don't think we can ignore our defense at the top end of this draft this time around.