Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts among 4 teams most interested in McCaffrey

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were Grigson, I would sense disaster, but Ballard isn't Grigson.  Ballard could take a RB in the first, then nail the next 4 picks.  We have no idea.  

The addition of McCaffrey would seem to push us towards the style of offense everyone wants.

8 minutes ago, #12. said:

If it were Grigson, I would sense disaster, but Ballard isn't Grigson.  Ballard could take a RB in the first, then nail the next 4 picks.  We have no idea.  

The addition of McCaffrey would seem to push us towards the style of offense everyone wants.

You sound like a Ballard apologist and he hasn't really even done anything yet.

The problem with picks like Dorsett was not the strategy(pick BPA). The problem was that our talent evaluation was bad ... If Dorsett turned into a pro-bowler and all-pro very few would be complaining about the Colts picking him. People are complaining because he's been very underwhelming and not worth the pick he was picked with.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You sound like a Ballard apologist and he hasn't really even done anything yet.

If he's yet to do anything, how could one possibly be an apologist?  An apologist generally needs something to apologize for.

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

The problem with picks like Dorsett was not the strategy(pick BPA). The problem was that our talent evaluation was bad ... If Dorsett turned into a pro-bowler and all-pro very few would be complaining about the Colts picking him. People are complaining because he's been very underwhelming and not worth the pick he was picked with.

If you nail the pick(or trade), the position doesn't matter.  If Richardson were an All-Pro and we had the power running game Grigson hoped for, would anyone be complaining about giving up a 1st?

9 minutes ago, #12. said:

If you nail the pick(or trade), the position doesn't matter.  If Richardson were an All-Pro and we had the power running game Grigson hoped for, would anyone be complaining about giving up a 1st?

This is a flawed argument.  Anyone pick or trade that works makes it a great move.  But having the proper talent evaluation makes this a much more likely.  Grigson did not have this and he spent a 1st round pick on an unproven/overdrafted RB.  Non of this matters really as it is all hypothetical other than Richardson was trash.

I would take Christian McCaffrey in the first round, but not at #15.

He would be a good choice after we traded back to Atlanta or New Orleans. That said, I would be moving back to target T.J. Watt (at the end of the first round), and if Watt was off the board then McCaffrey would be a part of plan B. 

I would not have any problem moving back (accumulating picks) and then taking him. 

A trade with Atlanta might look like:

#15 for #31, #63, and 95

A trade with New Orleans might look like:

#15 for #32, #76, and 96

I don't see any problem with them being interested in Mcaffrey.  Damn good back to me.   Especially when they keep stating on more than one occasion that they have great interest in trading back.   In the event they trade back I don't have much problem if he's BPA. We'll get some extra picks too from the trade back.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

If he's yet to do anything, how could one possibly be an apologist?  An apologist generally needs something to apologize for.

He has shown interest in a player who most believe will not be available in the second round. That suggests the Colts might take him at 15.

I think most on this board would not like McCaffrey at 15.

So, the interest in McCaffrey is an indicator that his draft strategy is not what most want.  Instead of acknowledging that, you seem to suggest that it was possible that Ballard could make a "bad" pick at 15, then nail the rest, without mentioning he could make even worse picks after that.  He could make picks even worse than Grigson, we simply don't know.

And also commented that the "bad" pick at 15 wouldn't be that bad since McCaffrey fits into the offense, which waters down the whole premise that the Colts being interested in McCaffrey is a bad idea.

So you need to ask yourself the question you asked me, because you're definitely an apologist towards a guy who has yet to display anything significantly positive so far. 

Mccafrey is a beast. People down play him for nonsense reasons which I feel are attributed to his race sometimes.   That kid can play and I don't want to hear about he's too small. Other backs have entered this league at a similar size and height and gone on to be great.

3 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

I don't want to see any kind of an offensive player until about round 4. The Colts defense couldn't stop a herd of bunnies. Work on fixing the defense first

I would not be shocked if we grabbed an o-line guy at some point early if the value is there.

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

Mccafrey is a beast. People down play him for nonsense reasons which I feel are attributed to his race sometimes.   That kid can play and I don't want to hear about he's too small. Other backs have entered this league at a similar size and height and gone on to be great.

Oh Good GAWD..... :facepalm:

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't know the difference between Cook and McCaffrey, so what you are saying I think is true.  As a comparison, Rex Burkhead is a good RB.  He's slower than McCaffrey, and that holds him back from being elite, but he has talent and skill and is often overlooked, except by Bellichick.

I don't think any RB is worth a 1st round pick unless its Barry Sanders.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh Good GAWD..... :facepalm:

There's no good gawd.   People have stated on this forum their doubts about him because he's a white running back.   I know this and I'm not even white.  No need to get into a long discourse about it.

Just now, krunk said:

There's no good gawd.   People have stated on this form their doubts about him because he's a white running back.   I know this and I'm not even white.  No need to get into a long discourse about it.

that maybe but it's still said it comes down to that.  Its pathetic. 

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know the difference between Cook and McCaffrey, so what you are saying I think is true.  As a comparison, Rex Burkhead is a good RB.  He's slower than McCaffrey, and that holds him back from being elite, but he has talent and skill and is often overlooked, except by Bellichick.

I don't think any RB is worth a 1st round pick unless its Barry Sanders.

I don't really feel there is a written rule anywhere that says what players you cant select in what round.  That's just stuff people come up with based on their own criteria.   Every team has their own philosophy that they go by.   If you were a coach that would be your philosphy Doug.  If I were a coach mine would be a bit different.  Depends on the people pulling the strings.  

That's why Ballard said "Ignore The Noise".  And Pagano of course has said that as well.    Ballard already said he won't be influenced by our needs.  They'll trust their scouting and scoring process.    At least that's what's coming out of his mouth!  Now when the Bullets start flying on draft day we'll see if what he says is the truth.

18 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

I don't want to see any kind of an offensive player until about round 4. The Colts defense couldn't stop a herd of bunnies. Work on fixing the defense first

That's the quote of the offseason. LOL. Lets draft some defensive players!

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't really feel there is a written rule anywhere that says what players you cant select in what round.  That's just stuff people come up with based on their own criteria.   Every team has their own philosophy that they go by.   If you were a coach that would be your philosphy Doug.  If I were a coach mine would be a bit different.

Agreed.  I would be disappointed if the Colts took any RB in round 1.  It was my basis for criticizing the TRich trade back in the day...even when we all thought he was a good RB.   RBs seem to be seen more as situational players, IMO, so any one RB isn't on the field every play.  That makes it hard to justify a large investment.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Yeah it does suck, but people still judge way for whatever the reason.

I dont know if race is as much prevelant when it comes to the NFL and the reason I say that is the NFL is a win now atmosphere and therefore I think coaches and general managers due their best to find the most talented players out there to play ( exception would be Grigson)

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Agreed.  I would be disappointed if the Colts took any RB in round 1.  It was my basis for criticizing the TRich trade back in the day...even when we all thought he was a good RB.   RBs seem to be seen more as situational players, IMO, so any one RB isn't on the field every play.  That makes it hard to justify a large investment.

Mcaffrey is faster than Fournette and Cook and is a way better receiver than both of them.   If the rumors are true I'd bet they are really enamoured with his receiving skills.   He's everything they wanted with Josh Ferguson, plus he can tote the rock 15-20 or more carries if you need him to do that.  Kid has great vision and from what I can tell they were mostly running a Gap Scheme at Stanford with the pulling guards and all that.   We still run some of that stuff with Frank Gore along with whatever changes we made.  He's a fit to me.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Mcaffrey is faster than Fournette and Cook and is a way better receiver than both of them.   If the rumors are true I'd bet they are really enamoured with his receiving skills.   He's everything they wanted with Josh Ferguson, plus he can tote the rock 15-20 or more carries if you need him to do that.  Kid has great vision and from what I can tell they were mostly running a Gap Scheme at Stanford with the pulling guards and all that.   We still run some of that stuff with Frank Gore along with whatever changes we made.  He's a fit to me.

Hard to argue with your logic.

Good post.