Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Money Ball Mock Draft

Round 1: trade back with KC for a 2 and a 4. Multiple teams will be looking to move up, leverage KC with their low 1st and make them throw in a late/comp 4th. 

Pick: Jarrad Davis

Round 2: trade back with Seattle for a comp 3rd.(they have 2, could be looking to move up for possibly Dan Feeney)

Pick: Sidney Jones/Fabian Monreau 

Pick: Joe Mixon

Round 3: stay put(;

Pick: Joe Mathis

Pick: Jordan Lewis/Howard Wilson

Round 4: use two 4s(1 late 1 mid) to move up in the first 5 of the round.

Pick: Alex Anzalone/Elijah Lee

Pick: John Johnson

Pick: Jarron Jones

Round 5: Grover Stewart NT Albany State. Raw but Soooo much potential.

or we could do this

Round 1:

Trade up to pick #3 with Chicago for Dorsette, Gore and our #1 pick, plus a 4th rounder.

Then trade down to get pick #9 from Cinci and their 2round pick and draft Marshon Lattimore CB

Then we once again trade up and back in the 1 round to pick#12 from Cleveland for our 1st pick next year and our 5th rounder to pick Dalvin Cook - RB

This leaves us with #80 (3rd round) where we draft BPA

and the same goes for our last pick in the 4th round, where we draft Elijah Qualls, DT 

I know, only 4 picks to us this year, but we need to shake things up :)

oh i forgot the 2rd pick from cincy :( 

any ideas to whom we should draft in the second round at spot #9?

Alternate

Round 1: Haasan Reddick

Round 2: trade back with KC for their comp 3rd, Derek Rivers

Round 3: Desmond King

Round 3: Kareem Hunt

Round 4: Branden Langley

Round 4: Stevie T (USC NT)

Round 4: Yavancy Jones

Round 5: Folarin Orimolade

1 hour ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

or we could do this

Round 1:

Trade up to pick #3 with Chicago for Dorsette, Gore and our #1 pick, plus a 4th rounder.

Then trade down to get pick #9 from Cinci and their 2round pick and draft Marshon Lattimore CB

Then we once again trade up and back in the 1 round to pick#12 from Cleveland for our 1st pick next year and our 5th rounder to pick Dalvin Cook - RB

and the same goes for our last pick in the 4th round, where we draft Elijah Qualls, DT 

no

5 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

or we could do this

Round 1:

I know, only 4 picks to us this year, but we need to shake things up :)

oh i forgot the 2rd pick from cincy :( 

any ideas to whom we should draft in the second round at spot #9?

haha I'll have what you're having 

3 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Alternate

Round 2: trade back with KC for their comp 3rd, Derek Rivers

Round 3: Desmond King

Round 3: Kareem Hunt

Round 4: Branden Langley

Round 4: Stevie T (USC NT)

Round 4: Yavancy Jones

Round 5: Folarin Orimolade

I love this! I don't know much about your last 2 picks outside of a quick Google search, but they both seem to be solid late round guys that are completely understand the radar. My only issue is no CB until late and Langley is raw so he'll need time to develop (most project King as a FS).

It looks like you have us giving up the 46th pick for the 91st and 104th. That's a horrible trade for us. If we do that I'm going to wonder if Ballard is still work for KC. 

The 46th pick is worth 460pts or about that you are getting around 220 back. That's not good moving up in this draft if anything should be more costly. 

Then the draft is full of reaches. We have to do better at CB. I like Langley he could go to return duty right away but he needs time at CB. King is a zone corner or moving to S is the word. 

I think Big Stevie will go in the 5th. Jones and Orimolade are late round guys. Think about Ochi last year in a weaker Edge class going undrafted. 

13 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Round 1: trade back with KC for a 2 and a 4. Multiple teams will be looking to move up, leverage KC with their low 1st and make them throw in a late/comp 4th. 

Pick: Jarrad Davis

Round 2: trade back with Seattle for a comp 3rd.(they have 2, could be looking to move up for possibly Dan Feeney)

Pick: Sidney Jones/Fabian Monreau 

Pick: Joe Mixon

Round 3: stay put(;

Pick: Joe Mathis

Pick: Jordan Lewis/Howard Wilson

Round 4: use two 4s(1 late 1 mid) to move up in the first 5 of the round.

Pick: Alex Anzalone/Elijah Lee

Pick: John Johnson

Pick: Jarron Jones

Round 5: Grover Stewart NT Albany State. Raw but Soooo much potential.

The outside the box thinking is pretty cool and if this happened it would be pretty awesome.  That being said the picks of Sid or Fab at the first 2nd round pick would not be good IMO.  I would want a solid starter at CB right now since we have 0 depth.  Lewis is a slot so no one on the outside hurts.  Both of those guys will miss pretty much the entire season (Fab will play some depending on recovery).  Substitute a starter there and great.  In the 3rd you can risk on these guys based on the injury or not worry about them.

13 hours ago, akcolt said:

It looks like you have us giving up the 46th pick for the 91st and 104th. That's a horrible trade for us. If we do that I'm going to wonder if Ballard is still work for KC. 

The 46th pick is worth 460pts or about that you are getting around 220 back. That's not good moving up in this draft if anything should be more costly. 

Then the draft is full of reaches. We have to do better at CB. I like Langley he could go to return duty right away but he needs time at CB. King is a zone corner or moving to S is the word. 

I think Big Stevie will go in the 5th. Jones and Orimolade are late round guys. Think about Ochi last year in a weaker Edge class going undrafted. 

No, from #46 to #57-58. Made two picks in the 2nd round. Desmond year 1 I imagine would play slot corner, come in on sub packages. Langleys stock is rising especially after a nice combine. He's got the potential to be the ideal press man corner but he may not be ready. Idk only knock on Stevie is that he's 25. I've went back and watched almost every game from last year and he's dominant. Never moved off the spot controls his gap and even sheds blocks and makes plays. The media doesn't know of him, 100% of NFL scouts do

15 hours ago, Shive said:

I love this! I don't know much about your last 2 picks outside of a quick Google search, but they both seem to be solid late round guys that are completely understand the radar. My only issue is no CB until late and Langley is raw so he'll need time to develop (most project King as a FS).

Yea Langley is raw but is the perfect scheme fit. King I think would move to FS eventually, but for at least year 1 he'd play the slot in nickel packages. 2 under the radar guys who I love, we worked out Yavancy after he ran a 4.54 at his pro day. Folarin has his pro day 2morro and I expect big things

7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I like Davis, both corners, Lewis, and Mixon and Anzalone though. But taking a guy like Jo Jo Mathis in RD3 is crazy.

Why? Watch his tape man trust me and get back at me. I'd also go Jordan Willis if he was there, Mathis is ganna be a steal tho could've been a late day 1 without the injury.

7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Only if we wanna screw things up worse than they already are. This whole money ball, advanced metric is all bull. Did the A's ever win it all? Watch the Browns fail over the next couple years. Gotta go big time man.

Idk shizz about Baseball so I can't tell you why the A's sucked. I can tell you why the Browns suck, they got no Luck. They have no QB or they might actually win 6 games a year. This is an exaggeration but why not maximize the value of this deep class at positions we need and get extra picks. Idk about trading back in the 1st but the 2nd hell Yea give me an extra 3rd all day.

2 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Why? Watch his tape man trust me and get back at me. I'd also go Jordan Willis if he was there, Mathis is ganna be a steal tho could've been a late day 1 without the injury.

I agree on Mathis I wanted to see how he tested but the tape is good. He had 6 sacks 30 pressures before the injury. The UW D was not the same after he went down.  

7 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

The outside the box thinking is pretty cool and if this happened it would be pretty awesome.  That being said the picks of Sid or Fab at the first 2nd round pick would not be good IMO.  I would want a solid starter at CB right now since we have 0 depth.  Lewis is a slot so no one on the outside hurts.  Both of those guys will miss pretty much the entire season (Fab will play some depending on recovery).  Substitute a starter there and great.  In the 3rd you can risk on these guys based on the injury or not worry about them.

Yea most ppl aren't on the Sidney Jones or Fabian Monreau train like me I guess. Fab will play next year, expected to not miss training camp. Sidney thinks he'll play next year but that doesn't mean anything. My thinking is, as a team so desperate for elite talent why not take a probable top 15 pick in the 2nd round even if he misses a year? I'm sorry my dude, it hurts to say, but were not winning the Lombardi next year. We'll compete for our division sure, that lest talented 2nd round cb isn't ganna be the difference tho. Sidney is a difference making talent, same as Fabian. Yes they'll miss time, Sidney's medical would have to be tending very upward but I'd still pull the trigger. Also the beauty in taking Jordan Lewis is even tho he's a bit undersized he can easily play outside. 

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Me no baseball fan, but I no think that is money ball.

The "MoneyBall" strategy is to sign undervalued players, then sell overvalued players to teams who want them. I guess that TMoney is trying to do the equivalent of that with draft picks. Trade down, acquire extra players in a deep draft, then trade up afterwards and acquire players who fell a round that were undervalued. Just a guess though.

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

I agree on Mathis I wanted to see how he tested but the tape is good. He had 6 sacks 30 pressures before the injury. The UW D was not the same after he went down.  

Has an above average get off, but that punch with his hands is so dam violent. Has multiple moves, but has that go to bull rush that he will learn to counter off of. I wasn't high on him at all at first because I'd forgotten all about him. Then I watched the few games he did play, the kid is an impact player.

14 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Yea most ppl aren't on the Sidney Jones or Fabian Monreau train like me I guess. Fab will play next year, expected to not miss training camp. Sidney thinks he'll play next year but that doesn't mean anything. My thinking is, as a team so desperate for elite talent why not take a probable top 15 pick in the 2nd round even if he misses a year? I'm sorry my dude, it hurts to say, but were not winning the Lombardi next year. We'll compete for our division sure, that lest talented 2nd round cb isn't ganna be the difference tho. Sidney is a difference making talent, same as Fabian. Yes they'll miss time, Sidney's medical would have to be tending very upward but I'd still pull the trigger. Also the beauty in taking Jordan Lewis is even tho he's a bit undersized he can easily play outside. 

I like to try and get the most competitive team on the field each year regardless of the potential outlook.  I will say that if we make some smart draft picks and our FA moves pan out I think we have the chance to better than expected.  Is that winning the SB, I mean I will stay optimistic.  This is why I would rather draft a day 1 starter in the 2nd round.  If Fab is for sure going to play then by all means grab him.  He is solid and I have mentioned him multiple times as someone I like in the 2nd round even before the injury.  I just want a starter and impact player in the first 2 or 3 rounds and grabbing a guy like Sid who won't be there until 2018 tells your fans, Next year is the focus and forget about 2017.  That is just my opinion anyways.

17 hours ago, Tmoney said:

I like him alright, but he could be had in the 5-6 range.

Money ball in football would be like....Lets see.....Like doing something stupid as holy __, like trading Luck for only one 1st and running a different style offense with some backup QB and bringing in a bunch of cast off's and bad players and assume they'll be really good.

2nd. You guys wanna know why the A's even won a few games with the "money ball thing" those years in the early 00's???? There are 3 answers. 1)Tim Hudson. 2)Barry Zito. 3)Mark Mulder. That's IT

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Money ball in football would be like....Lets see.....Like doing something stupid as holy __, like trading Luck for only one 1st and running a different style offense with some backup QB and bringing in a bunch of cast off's and bad players and assume they'll be really good.

2nd. You guys wanna know why the A's even won a few games with the "money ball thing" those years in the early 00's???? There are 3 answers. 1)Tim Hudson. 2)Barry Zito. 3)Mark Mulder. That's IT

Well, I'd assume we'd get 3 first round picks or possibly a team's entire draft for Luck. That sounds more like it.

16 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Your knee jerk reactions and over exaggerations are comical.  Moving back for more picks is not at all a bad move.  If we move back in the 1st and get another 2 or even 3 picks because of that then you do it (based on picks and package obviously).  If we ever thought of trading Luck the package would be amazing and probably break the internet (over exaggeration for you).   

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, I'd assume we'd get 3 first round picks or possibly a team's entire draft for Luck. That sounds more like it.

Well I mean yeah. In the real world yes. He'd be worth 2-3 1st rounder, 2-3 2nd rounders, and 2-3 3rd rounders. AND it would have t be a team picking in the top 3ish. But I'm comparing it to baseball when Billy Bean was trading away star caliber players for relief pitchers LOL. It was basically me saying how I despise money ball

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Well I mean yeah. In the real world yes. He'd be worth 2-3 1st rounder, 2-3 2nd rounders, and 2-3 3rd rounders. AND it would have t be a team picking in the top 3ish. But I'm comparing it to baseball when Billy Bean was trading away star caliber players for relief pitchers LOL. It was basically me saying how I despise money ball

What was he trying to accomplish with that? Build the best bullpen in baseball, lol!

7 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Your knee jerk reactions and over exaggerations are comical.  Moving back for more picks is not at all a bad move.  If we move back in the 1st and get another 2 or even 3 picks because of that then you do it (based on picks and package obviously).  If we ever thought of trading Luck the package would be amazing and probably break the internet (over exaggeration for you).   

That is what "money ball" is dude LOL. Trading away, letting go of good players, being cheap, bringing in cast offs, and mediocrity, etc. Its not for the NFL anyways.. Its a baseball thing when you have LA with a 200plus million dollars a year pay roll compared to a team with a 50 million dollar a year pay roll. Its 2 different sports, but Cleveland is trying to bring the concept to football. AKA dumb. But yeah. I'm cool with us trading back, I'd love to see us stay his the 1st round, trade back into the 20's and pick up another 2nd or something. What I don't want is us to get into the money ball crap. Its all a moot point anyways man LOL. We're not going all money ball. I'm just a hyped up dude. Get overly hyper and excited you know, especially when it comes to my teams LOL.

I'll also be honest. When I made my first comment I didn't see he had us with a 1st round pick. I was mixed up with all the trades, and I thought he had us trading completely outta the 1st....Then I seen Davis LOL. It's good man. We're all Colts fans here. We're all brothers. Colts Nation you know.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

What was he trying to accomplish with that? Build the best bullpen in baseball, lol!

I don't really know to be honest. LOL. I just know the only reason they won some games is because they happened to have had that superstar rotation. Then he traded away all those pitchers for nothing. I'm a big Atlanta Braves fan. We got Tim Hudson (a top 10 pitcher in all of MLB for years) for peanuts. They literally didn't get any contributions from the guys we traded them. Then they traded away the other 2 pitchers shortly after.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't really know to be honest. LOL. I just know the only reason they won some games is because they happened to have had that superstar rotation. Then he traded away all those pitchers for nothing. I'm a big Atlanta Braves fan. We got Tim Hudson (a top 10 pitcher in all of MLB for years) for peanuts. They literally didn't get any contributions from the guys we traded them. Then they traded away the other 2 pitchers shortly after.

I'm a Braves fan too, not a lot many people can teach me about baseball lol. I think the moneyball strategy in football terms that I would do, is trade overvalued players for draft picks, and sign undervalued players to help win the SB. Then use those draft picks to help draft a team that can win a SB. Rinse and Repeat. Not sure what Billy Beane was doing, as I admittedly haven't seen moneyball yet (was on tv once but half over, so I didn't watch it).

44 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

The Hudson trade was awful. But the Mulder trade (should have) worked out quite nicely for them. They traded Mulder to STL for Dan Haren and another player. Haren was a very good SP for three seasons...and then they traded him to AZ for an absolute haul...including Brett Anderson, Chris Carter and CarGo. Unfortunately, Anderson kept getting hurt and the following season they stupidly traded away CarGo (along with Huston Street) for Matt Holiday...who they then traded at the following season's TDL for a prospect that busted out.

Also, OAK didn't trade Zito...he signed a mega deal with the SFG...that ended up as one of the worst contracts in MLB history. So even though they didn't get anything out of Zito...they certainly dodged a bullet. They did get Doolitte with the comp pick the following year though.

Sorry for the detailed trip down memory lane...but the hodgepodge of great moves and headscratchers that Beane has done over the years is fascinating.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

That is what "money ball" is dude LOL. Trading away, letting go of good players, being cheap, bringing in cast offs, and mediocrity, etc. Its not for the NFL anyways.. Its a baseball thing when you have LA with a 200plus million dollars a year pay roll compared to a team with a 50 million dollar a year pay roll. Its 2 different sports, but Cleveland is trying to bring the concept to football. AKA dumb. But yeah. I'm cool with us trading back, I'd love to see us stay his the 1st round, trade back into the 20's and pick up another 2nd or something. What I don't want is us to get into the money ball crap. Its all a moot point anyways man LOL. We're not going all money ball. I'm just a hyped up dude. Get overly hyper and excited you know, especially when it comes to my teams LOL.

Money ball is a baseball only situation you are correct with that.  Contracts and league is completely different.  With football I took the OP meaning with Money ball as trying to use picks to obtain more picks, allowing for more value with what you have.

8 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

That's just foolish. Idk what point your trying to make that's the most unrealistic trade ever.

Alternate without trading back only trading up

Round 2: Chidobe Awuzie

Round 3: Jordan Willis

Trade mid and latest 4 to move back into 3rd

Round 3: Shaquill Griffin

Trade 4th and 5th to move up into high 4

Round 4: Kareem Hunt