Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard

TKnight24

14 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I'm Not a fan of substituting quanity over quality.

I feel the opposite way.  Obviously quality is the number one priority, but in a deep draft like this where quality can be found in deeper rounds, I am all for acquiring more picks.  I'm an advocate for trading down and acquiring picks.  More picks means more players which means more opportunities to find those quality guys.  Obviously, there are limits (eg. you don't trade keep trading down until your left with 5 picks in the 4th round and nothing in rounds 1-3), but I think it's a good approach.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I feel the opposite way.  Obviously quality is the number one priority, but in a deep draft like this where quality can be found in deeper rounds, I am all for acquiring more picks.  I'm an advocate for trading down and acquiring picks.  More picks means more players which means more opportunities to find those quality guys.  Obviously, there are limits (eg. you don't trade keep trading down until your left with 5 picks in the 4th round and nothing in rounds 1-3), but I think it's a good approach.

But he wasn't necessary talking about this years draft class, he said in every draft he prefers trade down.

4 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I like this idea. I'd love to move back to 20 with Denver and get their middle 3rd. That 3rd round will still have a ton of value and I think a great player will absolutely still be there at 20. If Denver really wants Lamp I think 15 is the right spot to move up to ensure you get him. To me this is the sweet spot unless Foster or Bennet is there for us or something crazy happens and Hooker, Adams, or Lattimore falls.

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

But he wasn't necessary talking about this years draft class, he said in every draft he prefers trade down.

I also advocate for that approach in every draft.  If I can go from 15th to 20th and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th rounder in the process, I'm all for it.

In 2013, the Pats traded pick 29 to the Vikings for picks 52, 83, 102, and 229.  Using those picks, the Vikings got Cordarrelle Patterson while the Pats got Logan Ryan and Jamie Collins even though they ended up without a first round pick in that draft.  Again, more picks means you can bring more talent to your training camp.

14 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

First, all we have in this thread are tweets summarizing what Ballard said and they say nothing about what he "prefers". Second, even the summary we have says he's always be looking for opportunities to trade down, not that he prefers it.  So...maybe relax and see how his first draft actually plays out? :dunno:

Now if Myles Garrett somehow inexplicably falls to 15 and CB trades down then we can revisit this. :P 

16 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Agree, and I'll say what I think Ballard might mean with being open to trading back is if when thier pick comes there is isn't one guy on thier board thats really above the rest by any margin, but maybe a cluster of players that all pretty much equal. Then they may feel they could trade back 5-8 picks or whatever, gain say 2 more picks in the middle rounds of a deep draft but still have one of those players in that cluster available at their later pick in the first. And in that case it's a win win essentially if you've evaluated properly obviously, especially when you have the severe need for talent the Colts do.

16 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

If the GM track record is under 50% hits, I agree.  If the GM track record of hits is above 50% (All Draft picks over time becoming good starters/contributors) Then I'm for it.  I'm of the mind to let a keen and proven talent evaluator like Ballard develop his track record before judgement though.

this could be a good draft to trade down some if you can because it doesn't appear (from what I can see, and I'm not a professional evaluator by any means) that there's too much of a drop off in talent as you go deeper in the first etc.

Why not try and get more chances to hit on those players.

2 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

Agree, and I'll say what I think Ballard might mean with being open to trading back is if when thier pick comes there is isn't one guy on thier board thats really above the rest by any margin, but maybe a cluster of players that all pretty much equal. Then they may feel they could trade back 5-8 picks or whatever, gain say 2 more picks in the middle rounds of a deep draft but still have one of those players in that cluster available at their later pick in the first. And in that case it's a win win essentially if you've evaluated properly obviously, especially when you have the severe need for talent the Colts do.

Agreed.  My approach is just a general rule.  As @Jason_S said, if Myles Garrett were to somehow fall to #15, you don't trade back.  But if no one really stands out to you head and shoulders above the rest, I prefer trading back to acquire a few extra picks.

I think it is obvious that if there is a value pick at 15 then Ballard will take that player. There is no way Ballard passes on a player that he thinks can increase our chances of wining football games. With that being said, if BPA available may not be the most impactful option for us, then he will be open to trading down a few spots.

Please stop being drama queens. There is nothing unconventional about what he said. 

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If the GM track record is under 50% hits, I agree.  If the GM track record of hits is above 50% (All Draft picks over time becoming good starters/contributors) Then I'm for it.  I'm of the mind to let a keen and proven talent evaluator like Ballard develop his track record before judgement though.

I don't think there's a GM who hits above 50% with all of his draft picks.

Unless it's very loose definition for 'hit'.

2 hours ago, Finball said:

I don't think there's a GM who hits above 50% with all of his draft picks.

Unless it's very loose definition for 'hit'.

It's a gut that eventually becomes a starter and contributor, over a period of a couple or few years.

Yes, that is one high bar, but...

Bill Polian was one.. Bills GM, 4 straight Super Bowls (fired because they didn't win any of them).  Carolina Panthers, went to NFCCG within 2 years. Colts- most team wins in the regular season for a full decade.

Bill mentioned on air once others that inspired him and had similar track record.  But it escape my memory at this time.  But I remeber so many other stories from Bill.  How he was mentored early by others.  This one, Bills head coach Kay Stephenson while Bill was Director Pro Player personnel...

"In 1984, we went 2–14, and that was the season prior to Bruce Smith being available in the draft. We had the No. 1 pick, and I said to Kay, “We can take all of these picks and trade them for veteran players who will likely help us keep our jobs.” And his response was, "No, we've got a responsibility to the fans and the franchise and to Mr. [Ralph] Wilson to do the right thing. You and I will decide who the best player is, and that's the guy we'll take.

So, we did that, and did not do well immediately. You can't in that situation. We were very akin to where Jacksonville is right now. We knew it was going to be a long rebuild, and Kay lost his job over it, but I've never forgotten his courage and his dedication to doing the right thing."

That and the Corey Simon saga seems to be rooted in Bill building from the draft, and doing well at it. I feel Ballard is a different casting from a similar mold.

23 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Trading back is a much better way to acquire additional picks and maximize the quality of each one. For instance, if we were to trade back 10 spots, we'd still have a 1st round pick, and likely an additional second. In a draft like this where a number of very good prospects will likely fall out of the 1st round, the 2nd round will be a gold mine of talent.

If your O-line starters aren't currently on the roster, you would think a fairly high pick is going in that direction.  Anything later and you're just adding someone to the mix, of whom Schweinke, Haeg and Clark would have more experience.

17 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It's a gut that eventually becomes a starter and contributor, over a period of a couple or few years.

Yes, that is one high bar, but...

Bill Polian was one.. Bills GM, 4 straight Super Bowls (fired because they didn't win any of them).  Carolina Panthers, went to NFCCG within 2 years. Colts- most team wins in the regular season for a full decade.

Bill mentioned on air once others that inspired him and had similar track record.  But it escape my memory at this time.  But I remeber so many other stories from Bill.  How he was mentored early by others.  This one, Bills head coach Kay Stephenson while Bill was Director Pro Player personnel...

"In 1984, we went 2–14, and that was the season prior to Bruce Smith being available in the draft. We had the No. 1 pick, and I said to Kay, “We can take all of these picks and trade them for veteran players who will likely help us keep our jobs.” And his response was, "No, we've got a responsibility to the fans and the franchise and to Mr. [Ralph] Wilson to do the right thing. You and I will decide who the best player is, and that's the guy we'll take.

So, we did that, and did not do well immediately. You can't in that situation. We were very akin to where Jacksonville is right now. We knew it was going to be a long rebuild, and Kay lost his job over it, but I've never forgotten his courage and his dedication to doing the right thing."

That and the Corey Simon saga seems to be rooted in Bill building from the draft, and doing well at it. I feel Ballard is a different casting from a similar mold.

I hope you are right (I and I think you are), I not only liked Mr. Polian, but admired him.  I am sure others here feel the same way.

It would be nice to have that mentality in the front office again ...

On 3/28/2017 at 3:54 PM, Indyfan4life said:

Good stuff. Long as it isn't Kaep that we bring in. 

Dont need that circus. 

Not trying to get too political, and I could be way off base here - 

But based off of Ballard's many interviews I've watched, I am going to take an educated guess that he would be one of the GM's to take Colin off his list because of the kneel during the anthem. Ballard strikes me as a guy with conservative values, I'm not saying that's right, wrong, or indifferent, what I'm saying is that's what my analysis is. Based off of that assumption, I would have reason to believe that Kaep wont be a Colt. 

Especially seeing how the Colts released Antoinio Cromartie two days after he took a knee, (obviously he was playing like garbage too, but I would assume that Irsay didn't like that very much.) 

"Look" it's about your fronts,  "Look" Dwayne Allen was a good guy, "Look" we think Erik Swoope has a lot of talent. “Look, every year is precious. Every year is an opportunity to win. “The right thing to do was look D'Qwell Jackson in the eye" Look Chucks won a lot of games.

His favor word is "Look".

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

"Look" it's about your fronts,  "Look" Dwayne Allen was a good guy, "Look" we think Erik Swoope has a lot of talent. “Look, every year is precious. Every year is an opportunity to win. “The right thing to do was look D'Qwell Jackson in the eye" Look Chucks won a lot of games.

His favor word is "Look".

When I say "Look", my dog goes darting towards the window. She is an American Eskimo and an intelligent one. :)