Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Are On The Clock at #15 - Your First Ever Pick As A GM

I have to admit I have not watched a lot of Malik Hooker but I have seen him some and I must admit I don't understand all the hype surrounding this guy.

I like great instincts more than most, but to me I would not draft a slightly undersized, poor tackling safety with above average speed and only one year of starting experience in the 1st round, let alone at 15.

To me, he reminds me a lot of Green, he has better instincts but is a worse tackler and still needs to learn the position.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I have to admit I have not watched a lot of Malik Hooker but I have seen him some and I must admit I don't understand all the hype surrounding this guy.

I like great instincts more than most, but to me I would not draft a slightly undersized, poor tackling safety with above average speed and only one year of starting experience in the 1st round, let alone at 15.

To me, he reminds me a lot of Green, he has better instincts but is a worse tackler and still needs to learn the position.

hooker had as many interceptions returned for TDs as green had passes defended

he has ed reed like potential

Just now, aaron11 said:

hooker had as many interceptions returned for TDs as green had passes defended

he has ed reed like potential

Are you comparing Hooker's college INTs to Green's NFL PD?  But along those same lines he had almost as many INTs returned for a TD as he has PDs.

I admit, I may be wrong about him I have not watched a lot.  I will say of the clips I've seen two of the three INTs, were more bad passes by the QB not anything great he did.

7 hours ago, BlueTruth said:

As a GM, sitting there with my guy on the Board, H. Reddick, I'm ready to turn in my card to have a potential Pro Bowl Defender for years... But I know I've got to make the Best choice for whatever situation is presented.

Having to do my due diligence, and with M. Hooker, both WRs WIlliams and Ross, Njoku, and Watson still available, I'm thinking I can MAXIMIZE my leveraged situation and move back a few picks to still get my guy or take one of two CBs Conley or Wilson later in the 1st, while acquiring more players in this Deep Class!

I go for the Trade! Take the risk because the rewards far outweigh the risk AND I have Sheard & Simon too.

-Best Case: I get an extra pick + Draft H. Reddick

-Worst Case:( Reddick is picked so) I take a Top CB and then get an EDGE/ NT in the 2nd.

I like your thinking. So the plot thickens.

Tampa Bay offers 19, 84, and 237.

Atlanta offers 31, 63, and 95.

San Francisco offers 34, 66, and and 109.

You have heard (from a very reliable source) there is no chance of Reddick making it past Washington at 17. 

What do you do?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Not much.  I haven't looked at him, but read where he is draftable.

Ahkello Witherspoon.  Could be a steal.  I haven't studied him but he's 6-3 and ran a 4.45.  Of course none of that means he's a good corner.  I read he had a good game against Ross.

37 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Ahkello Witherspoon.  Could be a steal.  I haven't studied him but he's 6-3 and ran a 4.45.  Of course none of that means he's a good corner.  I read he had a good game against Ross.

Usually tall lanky guys have problems flipping their hips or changing direction so they can struggle in NFL man coverage.  Maybe a zone team would be a better fit in the NFL  

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

From what I've gathered, he's pretty awesome in man coverage, but abysmal in run support/tackling. According to his nfl.com profile, his reluctance to tackle gave Michigan 2 TD's when they played.

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Hooker can cover, Green can't.  Big big difference.

13 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I think it would clearly be Reddick at WILL and Morrison at MIKE, and I would be very happy about that. 

Morrison is a damn good football player. I am baffled as to why so many people on this board cannot see it. 

Morrison was a damn good college football player.  He's roster debris in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

4 starts was enough for you to call him a damn good player.

I liked what I saw, and evidently you did not. You wrote him off after after 4 starts.

We will see how it turns out, and I believe you will be eating crow. 

50 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Hooker can cover, Green can't.  Big big difference.

I can see I should have been more specific.  I didn't mean to compare Hooker to Green in skill set.  Only that both are(were) very raw at the position and there are some glaring holes in their games.

I would see who drops and if it was Foster I would draft him without question. Angry linebackers who can cover are needed and can set the attitude for the defense.

If he is gone I could see a trade back in the first with a 2nd/3rd rounder as a gift and take the most talented because we need a lot of playmakers and there are good ones to be had in this draft.

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I liked what I saw, and evidently you did not. You wrote him off after after 4 starts.

Wouldn't be the first time.

if there's a keeper it might be Edwin Jackson.

I am taking Lamp. If we can build a wall around Andrew he will destroy teams in the AFC South anyway. We need guys who can protect Andrew with Watt and Clowney in the Division. Then I would go Defense with my 2nd and 3rd Round picks, but Lamp is my pick at 15. Keep #12 healthy! I think we can get a Good Pass Rusher in Round 2.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am taking Lamp. If we can build a wall around Andrew he will destroy teams in the AFC South anyway. We need guys who can protect Andrew with Watt and Clowney in the Division. Then I would go Defense with my 2nd and 3rd Round picks, but Lamp is my pick at 15. Keep #12 healthy! I think we can get a Good Pass Rusher in Round 2.

I like how you're thinking. Never going to be mad about us trying to protect Luck. :)

Hypothetical, if you were sitting at #15 and Tampa Bay offers you #19, #84, and #237 for the 15th pick. Would you deal?

You could probably still get Lamp at #19, and pick up a few extra picks to boot. Maybe even use that #84 to get Sidney Jones (take a flyer).

Just now, BlueShoe said:

I like you're thinking. Never going to be mad about us trying to protect Luck. :)

Hypothetical, if you were sitting at #15 and Tampa Bay offers you #19, #84, and #237 for the 15th pick. Would you deal?

You could probably still get Lamp at #19, and pick up a few extra picks to boot. Maybe even use that #84 to get Sidney Jones (take a flyer).

I probably would, that is a good idea. I am pretty sure Lamp will be there at 15, 19 might be pushing it though but still your idea is pretty good. I think Hooker will be gone before 15.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

You're probably in the extreme minority of thinking he's a starting LB, which is cool. However watching Morrison have to cover ANYBODY, which he's going to have to do, is horrific. His recognition to plays is below average, and his subpar agility makes his play even worse. He's nothing special in run support either. As another poster stated, Ed Jackson showed much more in the same limited time. I hope for the best for our players, but I don't see Morrison doing a 180 and becoming some great, or even decent, athletic player overnight.

15 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I think it would clearly be Reddick at WILL and Morrison at MIKE, and I would be very happy about that. 

Morrison is a damn good football player. I am baffled as to why so many people on this board cannot see it. 

He's a pretty good 2 down backer. Read reacts and destroys in the run game but is slow, small, and doesn't shed blocks very well. His pass coverage is god awful, he's not the answer at Mike

7 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I like your thinking. So the plot thickens.

Tampa Bay offers 19, 84, and 237.

Atlanta offers 31, 63, and 95.

San Francisco offers 34, 66, and and 109.

You have heard (from a very reliable source) there is no chance of Reddick making it past Washington at 17. 

What do you do?

Great question! I love a tricky predicament... when I can find its solution :td:

What I'd do here is simple: "Sit back and smile." Not being too cocksure here, but I'd grab a cigar. I wouldn't light it yet (haven't won the Super Bowl), but I'd bite down and enjoy the notion that I'm not "STUCK", with my First Pick as a GM. I'm relishing the fact that my guy H. Reddick is available when I'm on the Clock so my situation is Win WIn.

-My definition of Stuck is being on the clock, with the time ticking and the guy you want is not there nor are any decent trade offers. [Another example is BPA doesn't fit you team or scheme, and you have no one to trade with... do you go Minnesota and forfeit the pick haha, NO, but do you reach for need or draft a project with potential???] Tough situation being Stuck.

But HERE, I'm in a Win-WIn cause I have ALL THE LEVERAGE, even with Washington breathing down my neck at #17, cause I'm in total control of what plays out. One option is to take my Guy at #15 and set my sight to our next pick or see if someone is worth trading back into the 1st Round for -OR- I can try and convince Baltimore why they NEED to trade for #15 to get "their next Ed Reed" or whomever, cause someone else is going to make the trade with me. 

Point is I'm taking Reddick @16 from a Trade w/ ONLY Baltimore, or I happily select him @15, after I've exhausted all my time on the Clock, like Minnesota has, trying to get said deal done.

Win: Draft Reddick @ 15

Win: Draft Reddick @ 16 plus additional pick(s)

1 hour ago, BlueTruth said:

Great question! I love a tricky predicament... when I can find its solution :td:

What I'd do here is simple: "Sit back and smile." Not being too cocksure here, but I'd grab a cigar. I wouldn't light it yet (haven't won the Super Bowl), but I'd bite down and enjoy the notion that I'm not "STUCK", with my First Pick as a GM. I'm relishing the fact that my guy H. Reddick is available when I'm on the Clock so my situation is Win WIn.

-My definition of Stuck is being on the clock, with the time ticking and the guy you want is not there nor are any decent trade offers. [Another example is BPA doesn't fit you team or scheme, and you have no one to trade with... do you go Minnesota and forfeit the pick haha, NO, but do you reach for need or draft a project with potential???] Tough situation being Stuck.

But HERE, I'm in a Win-WIn cause I have ALL THE LEVERAGE, even with Washington breathing down my neck at #17, cause I'm in total control of what plays out. One option is to take my Guy at #15 and set my sight to our next pick or see if someone is worth trading back into the 1st Round for -OR- I can try and convince Baltimore why they NEED to trade for #15 to get "their next Ed Reed" or whomever, cause someone else is going to make the trade with me. 

Point is I'm taking Reddick @16 from a Trade w/ ONLY Baltimore, or I happily select him @15, after I've exhausted all my time on the Clock, like Minnesota has, trying to get said deal done.

Win: Draft Reddick @ 15

Win: Draft Reddick @ 16 plus additional pick(s)

Nice! I like your thinking. :)

Probably not going to convince Baltimore to move up unless they believe we have another trade partner for a player they are sitting on. 

I think in this scenario we would Win by drafting Reddick at #15. :thmup:

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

Someone please explain to me why Hooker is rated so highly?  I just dont get it, seems like another TJ Green type pick in the sense that  he's only started 1 year and is raw, 1 year wonder, described as raw and now he has injury issues.

Have you seen his game tape?

The funny thing is the more i read this forum the more I think we shouldn't draft anybody because ALL these guys have flaws.

Hooker is as good as anybody in the draft, he just won't be available,

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Have you seen his game tape?

The funny thing is the more i read this forum the more I think we shouldn't draft anybody because ALL these guys have flaws.

Hooker is as good as anybody in the draft, he just won't be available,

yes and im not super impressed.  But I also am not a scout nor do i claim to be.  But the one thing about him that does impress me is that he can jump and is strong enough to rip balls out of the receivers hands.  Though a couple of those INTs could have been called for PI too....  But the biggest thing I dont like is he is an impact tackler, tackles with his shoulders and doesnt wrap well.  He does wiff on tackles and he tackles low.   Very similar tackle style as one TJ Green.

I'm trading back for the best deal possible. And in the late first I'm looking for:

1. Tim Williams EDGE

2. Charles Harris EDGE

3. Various CBs (Conley, Tabor, White)

4. Forest Lamp OG

5. T.J. Watt EDGE (28-32) 

Its a deep draft and we need a ton of new talent. There's an abundance of DBs and EDGE players which is exactly what we need. Quanity over arguable quality. 

7 hours ago, Nojobaum said:

I'm trading back for the best deal possible. And in the late first I'm looking for:

1. Tim Williams EDGE

2. Charles Harris EDGE

3. Various CBs (Conley, Tabor, White)

4. Forest Lamp OG

5. T.J. Watt EDGE (28-32) 

Its a deep draft and we need a ton of new talent. There's an abundance of DBs and EDGE players which is exactly what we need. Quanity over arguable quality. 

I am with you on trading back and targeting Lamp, Watt, and Conley. 

Trade Luck to Cleveland (4 First Rounders...2 in 2017 and a 2nd 2017) Trading Dorsett for a 3rd Rounder Bam...

*1. Miles Garrett Edge

*1. Deshaun Watson QB

1. Reuben Foster ILB

*2. Adoree Jackson CB

2. Chris Wormley DT

3. Rasul Douglas CB

3. Carlos Watkins DT

4. Jordan Leggett TE

4. Ahkello Witherspoon CB

4. Monte Nicholson S

5. Jessamen Dunker OG

*1. Arden Key DE/OLB

1. Saquon Barkley RB

11 hours ago, csmopar said:

yes and im not super impressed.  But I also am not a scout nor do i claim to be.  But the one thing about him that does impress me is that he can jump and is strong enough to rip balls out of the receivers hands.  Though a couple of those INTs could have been called for PI too....  But the biggest thing I dont like is he is an impact tackler, tackles with his shoulders and doesnt wrap well.  He does wiff on tackles and he tackles low.   Very similar tackle style as one TJ Green.

Maybe tackling, but that's as far as I'd go with that comparison.  He's not straight-line as fast as Green, but his fluidity and coverage skills are WAY better.  Not just a little, but WAY more.  Some of those might have been bad passes or PI or whatever but the key point is he is AROUND THE BALL.  TJ Green is still trying to find it.  I still think Green CAN develop, I'm not knocking him just yet.  But IMHO Hooker comes in MUCH more polished and ready to play the position from Day 1.

3 hours ago, FalseStart said:

Trade Luck to Cleveland (4 First Rounders...2 in 2017 and a 2nd 2017) Trading Dorsett for a 3rd Rounder Bam...

*1. Miles Garrett Edge

*1. Deshaun Watson QB

1. Reuben Foster ILB

*2. Adoree Jackson CB

2. Chris Wormley DT

3. Rasul Douglas CB

3. Carlos Watkins DT

4. Jordan Leggett TE

4. Monte Nicholson S

5. Jessamen Dunker OG

*1. Arden Key DE/OLB

1. Saquon Barkley RB

I stopped reading at Trade Luck.....are you high?

6 hours ago, FalseStart said:

*1. Miles Garrett Edge

*1. Deshaun Watson QB

1. Reuben Foster ILB

*2. Adoree Jackson CB

2. Chris Wormley DT

3. Rasul Douglas CB

3. Carlos Watkins DT

4. Jordan Leggett TE

4. Monte Nicholson S

5. Jessamen Dunker OG

*1. Arden Key DE/OLB

1. Saquon Barkley RB

LOL.

I am throwing a flag on this post. :lol:

On 3/28/2017 at 9:19 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Take a look at his NFL.com profile.....    perhaps this will give some answers to your questions.....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/malik-hooker?id=2558060

On 3/28/2017 at 3:53 PM, BleedBlu8792 said:

You're probably in the extreme minority of thinking he's a starting LB, which is cool. However watching Morrison have to cover ANYBODY, which he's going to have to do, is horrific. His recognition to plays is below average, and his subpar agility makes his play even worse. He's nothing special in run support either. As another poster stated, Ed Jackson showed much more in the same limited time. I hope for the best for our players, but I don't see Morrison doing a 180 and becoming some great, or even decent, athletic player overnight.

Morrison's athletic limitations are obvious. He's awful in space, and always will be. But he's pretty good in a phone booth, coming down the alley as a run defending thumper. And he's tenacious. For all his limitations, he can be a useful player when used properly.

But he's a matchup disaster, and good OCs will isolate him on TEs and put him in option coverage against backs, etc. He's a significant liability as an every down back. Still, let's not sell him short on what he does well. 

By the way, I'm the first person to say that I want rangy, athletic ILBs who are good in space. I do not like that we drafted Morrison.