Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stephen Holder interview with Jim Irsay

Steamboat_Shaun

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think Haag is strong enough.  But he is a nice rotational backup like Reitz.  Clark looks more promising as a RT so I think drafting a G is on the table or a tackle and moving him to G.  Ballard has me convinced the 1st. pick is wide open.  Especially if we trade down.  No reaching for any need position. 

Clark is clearly a future left tackle. Right tackle is your road grader. Clark has left tackle written all over him if he developes. He is athletic and will be a better pass blocker than run. While he is likely to start at RT this year I think the long term plan is to replace Costanzo. Haeg while not strong enough last year had to make a giant leap in competition last year. He didn't have a whole offseason in our strength program etc. He will get stronger. I think both will. I do agree we aren't done addressing this OL...that said I don't see it as a dire need. The right player comes along of course we would add them but I'd expect that in our list of concerns OL is not as high as it was last year.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The reason I credit Pagano in 2012, is because the team posted the same 11-5 record in 2013 and 2014 without Arians as the OC and with Pep in that job.      How did that happen?

That tells me that if Chuck was the HC in 2012 with Arians by his side as always intended,  we'd have gone the same 11-5.     I don't think there's any reason NOT to think that.      Arians would've been there,  the offense would've been just as good.     Chuck proved what he could do in 13 and 14.    So, in my mind,  he gets full credit for 12.     

He set the foundation for the team,  and Arians followed the plan.

I don't agree but that's fine. Pagano wasn't a part of the game planning week in and out nor was he making in game decisions. I think Bruce had as much to do with bringing Luck and that offense along that 12 campaign than anything that Pagano contributed other than his inspiration. By 13 and 14 we had significantly superior roster....and a seasoned Luck and offense. We won't agree I don't think but that is fine. Arians has been successful everywhere he has been...I think he taught the team a lot. All I was implying was that I agree with your accessment. Getting fix of Pagano doesn't mean we will get a better coach....as I think Caldwell is every bit as good if not superior to Pagano.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think Haag is strong enough.  But he is a nice rotational backup like Reitz.  Clark looks more promising as a RT so I think drafting a G is on the table or a tackle and moving him to G.  Ballard has me convinced the 1st. pick is wide open.  Especially if we trade down.  No reaching for any need position. 

Haeg will get stronger and heavier....    the things he lacks he can address.     The game will get slower, and he'll get better.     I'm not sure what his ceiling is?      But his floor sure seems to be Joe Reitz 2.0.

Maybe 3-4 years from now Clark is the LT and Reitz looks like he would be the RT.      That'd be nice.

We'll know in a month.....

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Haeg will get stronger and heavier....    the things he lacks he can address.     The game will get slower, and he'll get better.     I'm not sure what his ceiling is?      But his floor sure seems to be Joe Reitz 2.0.

Maybe 3-4 years from now Clark is the LT and Reitz looks like he would be the RT.      That'd be nice.

We'll know in a month.....

From your lips to God's ears lol. I agree I think this is the plan.

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it says there are certain things out of Chuck's control...

That the Colts could go 10-6, and improvement,  but if the Texans go 11-5, and win the South,  it's not Pagano's fault,  and wouldn't necessarily mean Chuck would be fired.      

And I think it means that Irsay is publicly acknowledging that the roster is not very good and that's not Pagano's fault,  so expecting to chicken salad into filet mignon is not fair to Pagano and he'll be judged on a different sent of criteria than he has been in the past....   

And that would be....   Is the team well coached?     Are the Colts getting the most out of their roster?     That's it's not just a simple matter of wins and loses....    That the whole franchise is still dealing with the problems that Grigson left them.....

That's my view of Irsay's comment.

i concur

8 hours ago, BProland85 said:

If Ballard and Irsay are targeting a pass rusher early, which is what we are hearing, they could easily trade down to the late 1st and still get Charles Harris or Takk McKinley while also adding a 2nd and possibly more.

Here's the issue as I see it this year.  Many teams want to trade back because of depth in this draft.  But, there are not a lot of to tier players teams want to trade up for!  Typically, decent QB's can get some movement, but all the top 5 guys have warts and not out of the draft ready.  The closest might be Watson.  If I had a year to prep a guy, I'd go with Trubisky. I wouldn't trade up to get any of them...

The fight to trade back and compete with others wanting the same will be fierce...

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

After all these comments today and you think it's clear we're not taking a RB in the 1st.   The only thing that's clear is we have no idea and they have no idea what position they are taking 1st. 

They have an idea, they have a big board and can make intelligent guesses on what teams above them will take.  Trades upset that strategy, though.  Ballard will choose the first available name off his 'horizontal board, irregardless of position.(player with highest grade)

34 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

They have an idea, they have a big board and can make intelligent guesses on what teams above them will take.  Trades upset that strategy, though.  Ballard will choose the first available name off his 'horizontal board, irregardless of position.(player with highest grade)

We're saying the same thing. The board will dictate everything. They have no idea what position they will draft first until they look at the board when it's their pick.  The actual pick taken in front of them could change their pick. 

10 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

All I know is I've seen enough Josh Robinsons to know I'd rather have a Joe Mixon.

Well...   yeah....     you and me and everyone else would too...

But that's like saying I'd rather have a million dollars than 25 cents....

Wouldn't we all?!

Robinson was taken late in the 6th round.     Mixon is a 1st round talent even though he's not likely to be taken there....        Not exactly a fair comparison....

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Here's the issue as I see it this year.  Many teams want to trade back because of depth in this draft.  But, there are not a lot of to tier players teams want to trade up for!  Typically, decent QB's can get some movement, but all the top 5 guys have warts and not out of the draft ready.  The closest might be Watson.  If I had a year to prep a guy, I'd go with Trubisky. I wouldn't trade up to get any of them...

The fight to trade back and compete with others wanting the same will be fierce...

When talking about trading down, people often forget it takes two to tango. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   yeah....     you and me and everyone else would too...

But that's like saying I'd rather have a million dollars than 25 cents....

Wouldn't we all?!

Robinson was taken late in the 6th round.     Mixon is a 1st round talent even though he's not likely to be taken there....        Not exactly a fair comparison....

It's not gonna surprise me if he gets taken late in the first, or early in the second. I feel like him just sitting there in the third or fourth when the Colts pick is nothing more than wishful thinking.