Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stephen Holder interview with Jim Irsay

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much for posting this great series of tweets.

Lots and lots of good info.   Some of this has been preached by many of us for quite a while.   And, of course, the Usual Suspects have been pushing back on that.     Well,  now that the Owner has said this,  perhaps more of us can finally be on the same page.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks so much for posting this great series of tweets.

Lots and lots of good info.   Some of this has been preached by many of us for quite a while.   And, of course, the Usual Suspects have been pushing back on that.     Well,  now that the Owner has said this,  perhaps more of us can finally be on the same page.

No problem. I'm assuming Holder will release a transcribed version via IndyStar at some point today, but I didn't really want to wait to post this. I find the little tidbit about drafting a RB pretty intriguing, I'm curious to know what they consider "sooner than later."

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I have mixed emotions about it. I don't think it'd necessarily be a bad thing, but I don't think I'd love it either.

I agree but having one of the top three RBs fall to pick #15 might not be a bad thing in the bigger picture.

I highly doubt any one pick is going to make us a team that is going to take us deep into the playoffs so as long as a day one starter is picked I am OK with it.

Hmmm...interesting. So with seeing some of his comments I'd love seeing a draft like this...

Trades - Indy trades 15th overall pick to New Orlean's for their 32nd, 2nd, 3rd. (New Orleans now has an additional 1st and 3rd from the Patriots so they could look to move up for another targeted player)

Round 1 Pick 32 (N.O.): Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri
Round 2 Pick 10 (N.O.): Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida
Round 2 Pick 14: Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
Round 3 Pick 12 (N.O.): Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma
Round 3 Pick 16: Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech
Round 4 Pick 14: Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo
Round 4 Pick 30: Howard Wilson, CB, Houston
Round 4 Pick 37 (COMP): John Johnson, FS, Boston College
Round 5 Pick 14: DeAngelo Brown, DT, Louisville

The only real weakness still left on the team is ILB and possibly RG if Haeg or Good doesn't progress there. Ballard could look to bring in another player or 2 still before the season to address that.

9 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Hmmm...interesting. So with seeing some of his comments I'd love seeing a draft like this...

Trades - Indy trades 15th overall pick to New Orlean's for their 32nd, 2nd, 3rd. (New Orleans now has an additional 1st and 3rd from the Patriots so they could look to move up for another targeted player)

The only real weakness still left on the team is ILB and possibly RG if Haeg or Good doesn't progress there. Ballard could look to bring in another player or 2 still before the season to address that.

I'd 100% fully support this draft haul.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Sorry if pasting a Twitter thread like this is kind of annoying, but I wasn't really sure of any other way to post it.

Very cool.... thanks for the very good and interesting info.

and...

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Hmm essentially puts Pagano into a lame duck coach

Sort of thought the same thing... but he did make the pot of soup or at least contributed.. so I am not sure anything has changed.  I actually hope he is able to show the improvement and show why he was hired.  Its time for the Colts to start being the Colts again.

16 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Very cool.... thanks for the very good and interesting info.

and...

Sort of thought the same thing... but he did make the pot of soup or at least contributed.. so I am not sure anything has changed.  I actually hope he is able to show the improvement and show why he was hired.  Its time for the Colts to start being the Colts again.

It sounds to me that if he doesn't get better at the smaller intricacies of coaching than he has been in the past, he'll be looking for a new job.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree but having one of the top three RBs fall to pick #15 might not be a bad thing in the bigger picture.

I highly doubt any one pick is going to make us a team that is going to take us deep into the playoffs so as long as a day one starter is picked I am OK with it.

Yet the rebuild is 1 or two drafts so being a day one starter is meaningless.
 Well, as long as he is a top 5....  lmao
  What is wrong with you people?

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

[proceeds to scrutinize owner speak]

Yes, because even for obvious owner speak, I found it funny.

It's not something you expect to hear about a coach in year 6.

Even as far as owner speak goes, there were better options.

My take on the comments:  We will try very hard to trade back in the 1st. round and most likely will.  If we do we will draft a RB in round one or two.  Chuck is being evaluated but he is far from being a lame duck coach.  Improving on an 8-8 record is achievable IMO.  That would fit the definition of progress. 

15 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yes, because even for obvious owner speak, I found it funny.

It's not something you expect to hear about a coach in year 6.

Even as far as owner speak goes, there were better options.

Two things about it:

1) All we have are paraphrased tweet-comments at this point, so we don't really know what Irsay said about Pagano, yet.

2) I think every coach should make progress, every year. Whether Pagano suddenly leaps from "mediocre" to "really good" in one offseason is questionable, especially since virtually nothing has changed with the coaching staff. And I think that a good coach would have had this team in the playoffs last year, so it's fair to question Pagano. But to question whether he should be making progress is another story. He better doggone well be making progress.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Hmm essentially puts Pagano into a lame duck coach

I don't know what you read in those tweets that gave you the impression that Pagano is a lame duck coach.

His comments struck me as quite the opposite.    I thought Irsay did a nice job of cooling the seat the Pagano sits  on,   NOT making it hotter...

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Two things about it:

1) All we have are paraphrased tweet-comments at this point, so we don't really know what Irsay said about Pagano, yet.

2) I think every coach should make progress, every year. Whether Pagano suddenly leaps from "mediocre" to "really good" in one offseason is questionable, especially since virtually nothing has changed with the coaching staff. And I think that a good coach would have had this team in the playoffs last year, so it's fair to question Pagano. But to question whether he should be making progress is another story. He better doggone well be making progress.

Here's my point.  If you're only looking for progress from a coach in year 6, something I'm not sure I've ever heard before, what does that say?  It says you know you hired the wrong guy.  It struck me as an odd thing to even say.  

Doesn't matter, it's just owner speak.  Chuck, as I'm sure he knows, is coaching for his job.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know what you read in those tweets that gave you the impression that Pagano is a lame duck coach.

His comments struck me as quite the opposite.    I thought Irsay did a nice job of cooling the seat the Pagano sits  on,   NOT making it hotter...

People are going to read what they want to read into it.  The same people who can just absolutely tell that Pagano is clueless during a game by the expression on his face will interpret those tweets the way they want.

25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I wonder if Holder asked him about players with ... controversial/character issues...  Or just plain asked what he thought about drafting a player like Mixon?

If he didn't, he's not doing a very good job as a reporter.

What else is new?

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It sounds to me that if he doesn't get better at the smaller intricacies of coaching than he has been in the past, he'll be looking for a new job.

Not to pick on Grigson, but who knows how he affected Chuck.  I like Irsay's continuity theory so I hope for the better of the team that Chuck makes a substantial improvement this year.  You probably know more than you are letting on or at least more than me.... bottom line is I miss the days when we put a whipping on teams.... fingers crossed. You know that if the coach is changed then it will be another level of rebuilding as several assistants will be gone with the new hire..... then a new scheme yada yada yada.... 

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Like x10 

You need to be hired as an assistant for the Colts draft or something 

I liked his comments about judging Pagano beyond W's and L's.

I know some people hate the "We win because of Luck" narrative, but the fact is we rely heavily on Luck to pull out a lot of games. Otherwise we usually have to hope and pray the other team doesn't make a comeback.

This upcoming season is all about 4 quarters IMO. How well we're able to show up and compete for the whole game.

1 hour ago, crunked said:

KCnX9feJ_normal.jpg Stephen Holder

@HolderStephen

I might have mischaracterized Irsay in an earlier tweet. He mentioned RBs repeatedly. But he did throw in "later draft pick" later on.

DANG IT!! I was hoping the "RB early tweet comments" was a SMOKE SCREEN from Irsay to lure in other teams about one of the Top Backs potentially available @ Pick #15 leading to a possible TRADE. It seems that more than 1 of the TOP TIER RBs in this class will be there at #15 and I was hoping that Irsay said the words "early" and "rb" often to illustrate Desire to select one. 

-Normally, I don't trust a word NFL teams says before the Draft, their brain trust collects in the "War Room" and they conduct operations to throw off "the enemy" with smoke screens and false bombs of information.

Image result

Honest statement:

Instead of saying multiple Super Bowls, Irsay said we need multiple picks to build this team into a club that can compete for that kind of success. So drafting a rb/ single player picked @15, will not get us there yet, but more picks can.

SO, not a smoke screen!

Image result for smoke screen magician gif Good try.

Image result for smoke screen magician gif Maybe others will still fall for it in the end.

We're not taking a RB in Round 1, this Draft, but we may make a Trade because another team will.