Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Ramczyk (OT) w/ 15th overall pick

• Rackeen305 changed the title to Ryan Ramczyk (OT) w/ 15th overall pick

At the end of the day, I think most folks would think this is a draft best served to focus early and often on defense. Either a pass rusher or a corner or Foster or Reddick.

That said, while I am not against taking an offensive lineman if it makes sense, this class isn't anything special. And if I were to take one I would be more inclined to go w Lamp and plug him in at RG.

I think we have a few guys who can be serviceable at RT. Clark has worlds of potential and needs some experience to build. Haeg might be better suited at RG, but he can surely play RT for us. Good as well.

So because of all of that, I would not be overly thrilled used the 15th overall spot on Ramczyk.

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

How would you guys feel if we selected Ryan Ramczyk (OT) w/ 15th pick in the draft. Considering R.Foster ILB is gone, and RB DALVIN COOK is gone.

Would rather have lamp think he's more of a sure fire stud. But Ryan would give us some flexibility with the overpaid and over rated Anthony Catzano 

OT is a position I feel we have long-term starters in place.  Upgrading talent at other areas of dire need is the opportunity cost of selecting him.  And passing up Humphrey or Foster or Reddick, etc. to select him would be a big mistake...

I think this is the mock that said Haag is not strong enough to play guard therefore this pick and slotting the pick  to guard.  Makes sense to me.  Lamp, Ramczyk, Robinson, I have seen them all mocked to guard.  I definitely can see the rationale.  I would be okay with the pick. 

Just now, Coltfreak said:

Lamp is good 

Yes he is.  If you watch Voch Lombardi's film session on him he pretty much handled Jonathon Allen, he struggled with Tim Williams though... so Voch thinks he makes a better guard than tackle.  I agree after watching the film session.

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And who else?

Not sure.....but it doesn't matter we only have one pick to be able to take him and that is with our 1st.  He wont be there for us in the second.  This kid is the real deal.    I saw what a difference Kelly made last yr and I am all in to draft Lamp if we can get that kind of talent on this oline.   Defense is deep in this class, but protecting Luck is the #1 priority

Can do well in rd 2 with a corner and then go for ILB in the 3rd or vise versa

11 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Yes he is.  If you watch Voch Lombardi's film session on him he pretty much handled Jonathon Allen, he struggled with Tim Williams though... so Voch thinks he makes a better guard than tackle.  I agree after watching the film session.

Yes  I want him as a guard beside Kelly and get Clark on the outside.   Could grow into a dominate Oline

Just now, Coltfreak said:

Yes  I want him as a guard beside Kelly and get Clark on the outside.   Could grow into a dominate Oline

Just think how improved/ good the Colts would be if we could tighten up our secondary with some coverage and better tackling and then our line was above average.... Lamp isn't a "sexy" pick, but once again, if we do draft him I won't be upset.  After all, it starts at the line of scrimmage.  Those who control the LOS generally win the game.

46 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And who else?

Ramczyk,  Bolles and Robinson are all good.     Worthy of 1st round consideration.

Just because it isn't a good OL class doesn't mean there aren't good OL available....

But, in my view,  we don't need a tackle.    LaRaven Clark is our RT of the immediate future,  and should he somehow fail,  it's Haeg's job to lose.

But I'd be perfectly OK with Lamp to plug in at right guard.

As others have said, I'd much rather have Lamp, he's much more of a game changer in my opinion. I think he is just about a sure thing as Kelly was. I know we are all optimistic about Clark and Heag, but if one of those two guys goes down next year, I'm feeling  like crying just thinking about how we are replacing them. Protecting our best player should still be our top objective. 

7 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Just think how improved/ good the Colts would be if we could tighten up our secondary with some coverage and better tackling and then our line was above average.... Lamp isn't a "sexy" pick, but once again, if we do draft him I won't be upset.  After all, it starts at the line of scrimmage.  Those who control the LOS generally win the game.

A lot of the so called experts made fun of Jerry Jones when he took Travis Frederick 'way too early' in the 13 draft.  I think Jerry is having the last laugh. 

If you've done the work and believe that guy is going to make a difference on your team, take him.  I'd love our Oline to be strong and deep.  I think some of the guys from last years draft will work out, but maybe not more than serviceable backups.

17 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

A lot of the so called experts made fun of Jerry Jones when he took Travis Frederick 'way too early' in the 13 draft.  I think Jerry is having the last laugh. 

If you've done the work and believe that guy is going to make a difference on your team, take him.  I'd love our Oline to be strong and deep.  I think some of the guys from last years draft will work out, but maybe not more than serviceable backups.

Hey.....     I was one of those so-called experts.      And clearly was wrong!

I never thought Frederick was worthy of a 1st round pick,  and I thought Dallas didn't get enough for trading down as far as they did.       I think they traded back roughly 12 spots and should've gotten a 2,  and they got a 3.

Would Frederick have been available in the 2nd round?      Maybe.

But Jones' decision has been justified many times over.     Frederick is the real deal and proven worthy of the pick.

Now,  Colts' fans have to hope that Kelly turns out to be just as good.....    if so,  our line will be dramatically better.

As much as our team's running game is pedestrian at times and ranks near the back end our passing defense is and has been horrid the past few years.  This year's draft class compared to next year lacks the offensive line talent and would be a total waste of picks drafting an offensive lineman imho.  Unless something happens during free agency we really need to upgrade and find true starters with our safeties and corners.  This year is by far the best draft class for defensive backs and with other clubs expectations can see 8-10 teams needing upgrades at safeties which means by Rounds 1-2 the top safeties will be gone.

23 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

As much as our team's running game is pedestrian at times and ranks near the back end our passing defense is and has been horrid the past few years.  This year's draft class compared to next year lacks the offensive line talent and would be a total waste of picks drafting an offensive lineman imho.  Unless something happens during free agency we really need to upgrade and find true starters with our safeties and corners.  This year is by far the best draft class for defensive backs and with other clubs expectations can see 8-10 teams needing upgrades at safeties which means by Rounds 1-2 the top safeties will be gone.

I think it depends on who you draft and when. Everyone OL pick in the draft is going to be a wasted pick?  That's not an accurate statement.  The running game should not be as big a concern as pass protection. We can't let Luck keep getting beat up. Don't be surprised in we waste a pick maybe a guy like Dawkins or Moton. 

You think the top S's will be gone by the 2nd?  I think you will find good value on the back end in to day 3.  The pass rushers are going to push other positions down. 

17 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

How would you guys feel if we selected Ryan Ramczyk (OT) w/ 15th pick in the draft? Considering R.Foster ILB is gone, and RB DALVIN COOK is gone.

I would be upset based on the fact that he is not worth a 15th overall pick.  I feel like Ballard wants to fix both sides of the trenches but he would not reach that much IMO.  Plus after hearing the owner Irsay mention that this draft will be a defensive focus I see the 15th pick being placed on the D side.  (So I have left the Dalvin Cook theory altogether)

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I would be upset based on the fact that he is not worth a 15th overall pick.  I feel like Ballard wants to fix both sides of the trenches but he would not reach that much IMO.  Plus after hearing the owner Irsay mention that this draft will be a defensive focus I see the 15th pick being placed on the D side.  (So I have left the Dalvin Cook theory altogether)

Just to stir the pot. OK now. How would you guys have felt if we would have drafted RB AP instead of who ever, or drafted RB ELLIOT. I know that those players weren't available when we picked. Don't get lost. Just understand that if Dalvin Cook is that kind of rare RB talent, why are some of us against possibly selecting him? Considering this is a deep Defensive draft as you all stated.?

As far as the Oline goes, "If" OT RAM is the best OT available, why would you be against using a 1 on Oline, now our oline is set for years. Move Castanzo to RT if he's better there. Then in the 2nd & 3rd get the best Defensive guy (2nd maybe OLB/ILB, 3rd maybe CB/SAFETY). Then in 4th (with 3 picks in the 4th) go RB, TE, DEFENSE (order is irrelevant)... Thoughts?

One thing the Colts could never have enough of is Oline and CB. 

This of course is considering we stay put with the current picks and don't trade. Which if we do trade a little, we may have better players available (whether trading up or down).

23 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Just to stir the pot. OK now. How would you guys have felt if we would have drafted RB AP instead of who ever, or drafted RB ELLIOT. I know that those players weren't available when we picked. Don't get lost. Just understand that if Dalvin Cook is that kind of rare RB talent, why are some of us against possibly selecting him? Considering this is a deep Defensive draft as you all stated.?

As far as the Oline goes, "If" OT RAM is the best OT available, why would you be against using a 1 on Oline, now our oline is set for years. Move Castanzo to RT if he's better there. Then in the 2nd & 3rd get the best Defensive guy (2nd maybe OLB/ILB, 3rd maybe CB/SAFETY). Then in 4th (with 3 picks in the 4th) go RB, TE, DEFENSE (order is irrelevant)... Thoughts?

One thing the Colts could never have enough of is Oline and CB. 

This of course is considering we stay put with the current picks and don't trade. Which if we do trade a little, we may have better players available (whether trading up or down).

For the first part I will say that drafting Elliot or AP is completely different from Cook IMO.  I personally would not have passed on AP or maybe even Elliot but I would not hold Cook in the same comparison at all.  I see Cook being a solid back (hopefully no fumble issues) but I would be fine if we passed on him for Defense mainly because next years RB class is better in my eyes.

Now drafting oline in the 1st would not be a huge issue to me if Ballard saw that as the best value.  That being said at 15 I do not see Ram as the best value.  If Lamp was drafted I would trade back if line was a key spot I am looking at.  I do not see us drafting o-line at 15 but I could be wrong since the value of Lamp is seen as top-20.  Also, with Ram you are assuming he would be a solid LT and that is not a guarantee.  He might be a better RT for the NFL.

I do agree with the statement that we can never have enough depth at o-line or CB.

If we were looking for a starting T Ramcyk is who I would take at 15. If he's still on thx board we might find a trade partner. Bolles and Robinson go at the end of the 1st - early 2nd. If you want help immediately at T it should be one of the three. 

We shouldn't be looking for immediate help at T. Castonzo is an undervalued starter at LT. We should have a good battle going at RT between Clark and Haeg with Good tossing his name in too. 

We will want a guy to come in and push for RG but offer flexibility as a back up. The two guys I'm looking for are Johnson and Dawkins. If we could get either of these guys in the 3rd that would be great value. Johnson would be our starting RG day 1. 

I would rather go defense, but I wouldn't be upset if we got one of the top 3 linemen with our first. I feel like linemen are usually safe picks in the first, maybe that's because of Ryan Kelly.  If we can get another rookie lineman who allows 0 sacks and potentially have a long, successful career with us, then I'm all for it.

Defense is our #1 need.

Andrew Luck is our #1 priority.

3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I would rather go defense, but I wouldn't be upset if we got one of the top 3 linemen with our first. I feel like linemen are usually safe picks in the first, maybe that's because of Ryan Kelly.  If we can get another rookie lineman who allows 0 sacks and potentially have a long, successful career with us, then I'm all for it.

Defense is our #1 need.

Andrew Luck is our #1 priority.

Protecting Luck is key but a linemen in the first is not a safe pick.  I could name a lot of OL guys drafted in the 1st round that are terrible or have not lived up to the hype.

On 3/27/2017 at 1:31 PM, Rackeen305 said:

How would you guys feel if we selected Ryan Ramczyk (OT) w/ 15th pick in the draft? Considering R.Foster ILB is gone, and RB DALVIN COOK is gone.

I will never be upset with any GM who doing everything he can to protect Andrew Luck. 

A healthy Luck with time to scan the field equals Colts wins. 

I would't be upset if we drafted a top OL in the first round of every draft. 

16 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Protecting Luck is key but a linemen in the first is not a safe pick.  I could name a lot of OL guys drafted in the 1st round that are terrible or have not lived up to the hype.

There are for sure some busts, but I did read some researched data that showed drafting an OL in the 1st had the highest success rate of becoming a starter or going to a pro bowl out of any position. If I remember correctly DE, RB, and QB had the highest bust rates.