Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Admit It, Next To Opening Day The Draft Is Focus #1

It's like Christmas......

For three days we all get to open presents and hope that it's what we hoped for,  what we asked for.   And if you do,  hey,  good times ahead!!     Woo-HOOOO!!!

And then, sometimes,  you find out that you're getting a terrible sweater that you didn't want but your grandma says will help you in the winter months.     Ugh.     Sigh......

I'd put it right up there with opening day and the start of training camp.  I'm wondering, when all is said and done, will they look back at this draft of defensive players and look at it like the QB draft of 1984?  Or will it be the bust draft like 2013?  Somewhere in between?  Only time will tell but it's fun to watch and find out.

5 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I'd put it right up there with opening day and the start of training camp.  I'm wondering, when all is said and done, will they look back at this draft of defensive players and look at it like the QB draft of 1984?  Or will it be the bust draft like 2013?  Somewhere in between?  Only time will tell but it's fun to watch and find out.

Very good question. People forget that 2013 didn't look too bad on paper. And personally, I still don't believe it was as bad people make it out to be...at least not in 15-60 range. If the Colts had just picked Rhodes, no one would care.

However, that 2013 class didn't have the overall secondary depth that this 2017 class has. So from a defensive standpoint, it is difficult to see this draft being a bust...even if the pass rushers end up busting. 

But what also makes this draft potentially great is the depth at RB and TE. I know people are focused on defense, but the Colts should be taking advantage of this as well. 

What I don't want to see happen is the Colts pass over good players at CB, S, RB, TE to draft pass rushers. I hope Ballard lets the draft come to him...and if that means going secondary in the first two rounds, so be it.

58 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Very good question. People forget that 2013 didn't look too bad on paper. And personally, I still don't believe it was as bad people make it out to be...at least not in 15-60 range. If the Colts had just picked Rhodes, no one would care.

However, that 2013 class didn't have the overall secondary depth that this 2017 class has. So from a defensive standpoint, it is difficult to see this draft being a bust...even if the pass rushers end up busting. 

But what also makes this draft potentially great is the depth at RB and TE. I know people are focused on defense, but the Colts should be taking advantage of this as well. 

What I don't want to see happen is the Colts pass over good players at CB, S, RB, TE to draft pass rushers. I hope Ballard lets the draft come to him...and if that means going secondary in the first two rounds, so be it.

These GMs have their own scouting reports, so don't be surprised if the draft turns out nothing like Kiper, McShay, or Mayock predict. 

I'm still laughing that McShay mocked Ryan Nassib to be the 8th overall pick in the draft that year.  I think he went in the 4th or 5th round.

The pro scouts were right in that case.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

These GMs have their own scouting reports, so don't be surprised if the draft turns out nothing like Kiper, McShay, or Mayock predict. 

I'm still laughing that McShay mocked Ryan Nassib to be the 8th overall pick in the draft that year.  I think he went in the 4th or 5th round.

The pro scouts were right in that case.

Right. But those same pro scouts drafted Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Leinart, etc. QB is just a different animal...the position makes teams do silly things. That draft class was abysmal at QB...so it was anybody's guess how those QBs were rated. And even though that was argubaly the worst QB class in a long time, some pro scout still signed off on drafting one in round 1.

I agree that Ballard has his own big board...and it probably looks a bit different than anything we have seen. I honestly don't know what to expect. But given the clear needs on the roster, it does seem to align with the deeper positions in the draft.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's like Christmas......

For three days we all get to open presents and hope that it's what we hoped for,  what we asked for.   And if you do,  hey,  good times ahead!!     Woo-HOOOO!!!

And then, sometimes,  you find out that you're getting a terrible sweater that you didn't want but your grandma says will help you in the winter months.     Ugh.     Sigh......

^pretty much this. I love the draft!

I have always ranked SB Sunday #1, AFC/NFC Championship Sunday #2, and Opening Day #3. Opening day is huge and much anticipated to get my Football fix. When Peyton was playing the Draft to me was fun to follow but I was never into it much because we were always Very Good to Great. I have to say since Peyton left, starting in 2012 I absolutely have loved watching the Draft. In 2012 once Luck was selected I could relax and then had fun watching, now the Draft is extremely important to our success. I will be glued to it in all rounds in this upcoming Draft and cant wait to read peoples responses in here regarding each pick we make.

Well duhhh !

actually, for me its more stressfull/exciting than opening day.... by far.

so many variables.  So many choices.

you see a guy you like, then count down the picks to us, then *BAM*... somebody picks them right before us.  Later we find out the Colts had no interest in the guy anyway.

this year is exciting because we have a new "picker" and there is talent depth at positions we are looking at.

i cwn't wait.

the guy has a plan. LB and TE have already been targeted. Even an OL, DL, wr,  rb and s were signed back.  He really helped to narrow our focus in the draft.

defensive backs, nt, lb are primary i would think.  Manageable.  Rb and ol could be strengthened eary or later in rounds depending on plans. But we are in hood position to get good players that can start in the first 3-4 rounds.  If the stars line up, even later.

the other interesting thing is we'll get an even better look wt what a "Ballard" guy looks like.  A glimpse of what this team will look like in the future. exciting i think.  The FAs he picked up arent as true a representation  of ballard as draft picks will be.  FASare more like bandaids, especially viewing the shorter contracts given.