Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your top 5 QB list

RockThatBlue

1. Tom Brady

2. Aaron Rodgers

3. Big Ben

4. Drew Brees

5. Andrew Luck

-a number of guys can be plugged in at 5 like Ryan, Cam, Wilson, and Eli but I will say Luck belongs there. Not just because he is a Colt, I just would rather have him over those guys and he just carries our team so much. How Luck led our team his Rookie season from 2-14 to 11-5 was unheard of and he proved he was the real deal in season 1. He also got us to a Championship Game with a mediocre Defense and no Run game.

Physical ability and ability to not throw picks, Aaron Rodgers is better than Tom Brady, IMO. However, the biggest knock on him is making comebacks. He is a front runner and the 2 playoff games he won, he played ahead most of the time and rarely faced a deficit greater than 3. One game that the Falcons blew the door open, he couldn't get them to come back. However, it is not his fault that turnovers unrelated to him happened in scoring position in the NFCCG twice and that his D could not make timely stops like the Patriots' D did vs Matt Ryan in the 4th quarter of the SB allowing Brady to make the comeback. The one time he did have timely defensive stops from his D, he won the SB. 

But being a QB is more than just pure physical ability and ability to not throw picks. That is why Brady is still better in the end. These two articles capture QB ability is more than just physical ability:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2017/3/23/15036982/what-is-the-most-important-attribute-for-a-quarterback

The key paragraph to me is what Belichick said about Brady:

"More than anything, just like you’re trying to get a good shot, we’re trying to run a good play. The last thing we want to do is run a play that, when it’s over, we look back and say, ‘We really didn’t have a chance on that one.’ We want to at least be able to get to something where we feel like it’s a fair fight and it’s competitive.

The biggest thing Tom does for us is to try to keep us out of those bad plays where we have 5 to 10 percent chance of really being successful, whether it’s a coverage or a blitz or an alignment that they give us, and he sees that what we’ve got called just isn’t what we want to be in.

That wasn’t why we called the play, was to run it against that particular look. Then sometimes he’ll be able to get out of those and get us something that, like I said, gives us more of a fair fight. That’s a big job of the quarterback in our league is to not just manage the game in terms of getting the ball out of bounds and the clock and stuff like that, but also managing the game in terms of giving the offense the chance to run plays that are competitive because defenses can get in certain alignments and really make it tough on you. Tom does a great job of that.”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-starter

As far as the list goes, it is Brady and Rodgers, and the rest, IMO.

1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

1. Peyton Manning (Because he won a super bowl with two different teams

2. Aron Rogers

3. Drew Brees

4. Tom Brady (Even though he has all them rings i don't think he would do well on a different team)

5. Andrew Luck (The Future star of the NFL)

He was talking active players. I still wish Peyton was playing, I miss him eventhough he was on the Broncos at the end. Top 5 of all-time, Peyton is in no doubt.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He was talking active players. I still wish Peyton was playing, I miss him eventhough he was on the Broncos at the end. Top 5 of all-time, Peyton is in no doubt.

oh my bad. well in that case...

1. Aron Rogers

2. Russell Wilson 

3. Drew Brees

4. Tom Brady

5. Andrew Luck

4 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

1. Aron Rogers

2. Russell Wilson 

3. Drew Brees

4. Tom Brady

5. Andrew Luck

I still like your thinking putting Peyton #1 haha. Winning a SB with 2 different teams was never done before until he did it. Tom Brady probably deserves #1 when it comes to all-time but Montana and Peyton and even Unitas taking it old school have their arguing points. You have Wilson awfully high which that is your opinion, he is very solid but he has always had a Great Defense to help him.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still like your thinking putting Peyton #1 haha. Winning a SB with 2 different teams was never done before until he did it. Tom Brady probably deserves #1 when it comes to all-time but Montana and Peyton and even Unitas taking it old school have their arguing points. You have Wilson awfully high which that is your opinion, he is very solid but he has always had a Great Defense to help him.

lol Montana almost did it with KC but they fell short in the playoffs. The only reason i put Wilson up there because i think on a different team (pending defense) he could produce the same results in a Superbowl appearance. However with Brady i'm not so sure.

1.) Tom Brady

2.) Aaron Rodgers

3.) Matt Ryan

4.) Derek Carr

5.) Big Ben

I have Luck at 7 right now with Brees at 6 just in case anyone is wondering. No one is close to Brady and his career. Even right now, Brady is on par with Rodgers at 39 years old. Rodgers is no2, he has youth, accuracy, doesn't throw INT's and is a very good athlete. He will win a 2nd SB IMO before his career is over. Matt Ryan has broken out in a big way. I don't think he's a fluke like Newton. He's a natural pocket passing QB, that has his weapons (especially Julio) and knows what to do with them. Will be in the running for the SB every year til he retires. Derek Carr is similar to Matt Ryan, and almost on his level already. Very accurate, solid in the pocket, goes through his reads well, and doesn't make many mistakes. Probably wouldn't of beat Brady and the Pats last year, but was robbed of a shot in the playoffs due to injury, and is severely underestimated. Big Ben is always very consistent and can put up big numbers. Depends on Brown and Bell heavily, but gets the job done. His problem is getting past the Patriots, which I don't know if he can do before either Brady retires, or he retires first. 

Luck is at 7 because he still struggles at some fundamentals. He needs to throw the ball away more, commit less turnovers, stop relying on Hilton so much, and try to go through his progressions more (this should happen with a better line). Most of all, start quicker and score points in the first quarter and stop putting pressure on the defense. Despite all this, Luck is one of the best QBs in the NFL and just needs better coaching and better teammates around him IMO to succeed and hopefully win a SB for us.

9 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

lol Montana almost did it with KC but they fell short in the playoffs. The only reason i put Wilson up there because i think on a different team (pending defense) he could produce the same results in a Superbowl appearance. However with Brady i'm not so sure.

I respect that opinion. I often wonder what Tom would do without Belichick myself? We will never know unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

1.) Tom Brady

2.) Aaron Rodgers

3.) Matt Ryan

4.) Derek Carr

5.) Big Ben

I have Luck at 7 right now with Brees at 6 just in case anyone is wondering. No one is close to Brady and his career. Even right now, Brady is on par with Rodgers at 39 years old. Rodgers is no2, he has youth, accuracy, doesn't throw INT's and is a very good athlete. He will win a 2nd SB IMO before his career is over. Matt Ryan has broken out in a big way. I don't think he's a fluke like Newton. He's a natural pocket passing QB, that has his weapons (especially Julio) and knows what to do with them. Will be in the running for the SB every year til he retires. Derek Carr is similar to Matt Ryan, and almost on his level already. Very accurate, solid in the pocket, goes through his reads well, and doesn't make many mistakes. Probably wouldn't of beat Brady and the Pats last year, but was robbed of a shot in the playoffs due to injury, and is severely underestimated. Big Ben is always very consistent and can put up big numbers. Depends on Brown and Bell heavily, but gets the job done. His problem is getting past the Patriots, which I don't know if he can do before either Brady retires, or he retires first. 

Luck is at 7 because he still struggles at some fundamentals. He needs to throw the ball away more, commit less turnovers, stop relying on Hilton so much, and try to go through his progressions more (this should happen with a better line). Most of all, start quicker and score points in the first quarter and stop putting pressure on the defense. Despite all this, Luck is one of the best QBs in the NFL and just needs better coaching and better teammates around him IMO to succeed and hopefully win a SB for us.

I just cant see putting Carr that high, we have never seen him play a Playoff game. Interesting fact too, Matt Ryan has the same amount of Playoff wins that Andrew Luck has = 3. Ryan has played 9 seasons, Luck 5. Don't be surprised if the Falcons come back down to earth this season.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just cant see putting Carr that high, we have never seen him play a Playoff game. Interesting fact too, Matt Ryan has the same amount of Playoff wins that Andrew Luck has = 3. Ryan has played 9 seasons, Luck 5. Don't be surprised if the Falcons come back down to earth this season.

I think Carr could of easily got the Raiders past the Texans, and given the Pats a good game. Even if you don't believe he could of beat the Pats, you can't deny the way he was playing last year, he probably beats the Texans if healthy. Matt Ryan is behind Luck years-wise, but he caught up playing-wise and probably surpassed him now. He has a better team ( I will admit that), but he also got the Falcons to a SB, and for all intentional purposes, should be a SB champion now. That offense was just so consistently good, that I don't see him being a fluke. He won't make the SB every year, but I bet they at least make the playoffs every year.

Yes I'm Biased.

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Drew Brees.

3. Tom Brady

4. Andrew Luck

5. Russell Wilson

Similar to Cam, Matt had one really great season last year. He's still a really good QB, top 10 for sure but I'm not gonna put him top 5. After 2015, everyone had Cam as a top 2 QB. Same with Matt this time. I don't think he'll be as good statistically next year. 

And Ben doesn't carry his team the way Andrew and lately Russell have.

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Carr could of easily got the Raiders past the Texans, and given the Pats a good game. Even if you don't believe he could of beat the Pats, you can't deny the way he was playing last year, he probably beats the Texans if healthy. Matt Ryan is behind Luck years-wise, but he caught up playing-wise and probably surpassed him now. He has a better team ( I will admit that), but he also got the Falcons to a SB, and for all intentional purposes, should be a SB champion now. That offense was just so consistently good, that I don't see him being a fluke. He won't make the SB every year, but I bet they at least make the playoffs every year.

I do think Carr beats the Texans but he would've been blown out vs the Pats in Foxboro just like Andrew was and Big Ben was. Carr has the 2nd best O.line in Football only behind Dallas IMO too. That helps when you have all day to throw. Ryan is going to get huge praise now but so did Cam last season and look at the putrid season Cam had. Ryan is inconsistent from year to year, we beat them in Atlanta with Hass at QB in 2015. I would almost bet my house on the Falcons not winning the NFC again this upcoming season. I said the same thing about the Panthers last season and they didn't even come close.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do think Carr beats the Texans but he would've been blown out vs the Pats in Foxboro just like Andrew was and Big Ben was. Carr has the 2nd best O.line in Football only behind Dallas IMO too. That helps when you have all day to throw. Ryan is going to get huge praise now but so did Cam last season and look at the putrid season Cam had. Ryan is inconsistent from year to year, we beat them in Atlanta with Hass at QB in 2015. I would almost bet my house on the Falcons not winning the NFC again this upcoming season. I said the same thing about the Panthers last season and they didn't even come close.

Most of this is fair enough. I disagree on the the Falcons and Matt Ryan regressing though for a few reasons. 1st.) Julio Jones is far and away better than anyone that the Panthers have. 2nd.) The Falcons have a solid run game with two solid rbs and a balanced offense. Cam had to do everything by himself on the Panthers, Matt Ryan has a team friendly offense he can rely on with many targets. 3rd.) Falcons have a pass rush on defense. When you have that, you always have a chance to stop opposing offenses, and that, combined with the no1 offense, is going to make them win the majority of games. They could lose in the playoffs easy, but Matt Ryan will always get them there, and that's somewhere I'm jealous the Colts aren't at right now, and even Luck can't carry this particular Colts team too at this point.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Most of this is fair enough. I disagree on the the Falcons and Matt Ryan regressing though for a few reasons. 1st.) Julio Jones is far and away better than anyone that the Panthers have. 2nd.) The Falcons have a solid run game with two solid rbs and a balanced offense. Cam had to do everything by himself on the Panthers, Matt Ryan has a team friendly offense he can rely on with many targets. 3rd.) Falcons have a pass rush on defense. When you have that, you always have a chance to stop opposing offenses, and that, combined with the no1 offense, is going to make them win the majority of games. They could lose in the playoffs easy, but Matt Ryan will always get them there, and that's somewhere I'm jealous the Colts aren't at right now, and even Luck can't carry this particular Colts team too at this point.

Good points about the Falcons regarding not regressing to the point they will be 6-10 like the Panthers. I do think they could regress to the point they will be 9-7 or so though and not even win their Division. Panthers will probably now bounce back after last years debacle and who knows what Drew Brees will pull off? That team is like us as in they could've been 10-6 easily had they not gave away 3 or 4 games. If Ballard nails the Draft, Colts could be back in the Playoffs. Andrew just needs help on the other side of the ball.

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Forget the NFC. The Falcons aren't even gonna win their division. 

Tampa is gonna be better, Carolina will probably bounce back and the Saints still got Brees. They were lucky to get the first round bye with an 11-5 record. They avoided (arguably) the two best teams in the NFC with Aaron Rodgers just clutching it up against NYG and Dallas. Instead they played the flawed (and tattered) Seahawks, and the crap show that was the Packers defense. 

They played brilliantly for three quarters in the super bowl before completely unraveling. Atlanta is good, but they don't scare me. Neither does Matt Ryan. He put up MVP numbers with arguably the best offensive personnel and coaching in the league. 

1 hour ago, Shadow_Creek said:

1. Aron Rogers

2. Russell Wilson 

3. Drew Brees

4. Tom Brady

5. Andrew Luck

I like your list. However, you did not have Wilson at all in your first list but now he is second on your revised list. What changed?

Your first list:

1 hour ago, Shadow_Creek said:

1. Peyton Manning (Because he won a super bowl with two different teams

2. Aron Rogers

3. Drew Brees

4. Tom Brady (Even though he has all them rings i don't think he would do well on a different team)

5. Andrew Luck (The Future star of the NFL)

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yes I'm Biased.

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Drew Brees.

3. Tom Brady

4. Andrew Luck

5. Russell Wilson

Similar to Cam, Matt had one really great season last year. He's still a really good QB, top 10 for sure but I'm not gonna put him top 5. After 2015, everyone had Cam as a top 2 QB. Same with Matt this time. I don't think he'll be as good statistically next year. 

And Ben doesn't carry his team the way Andrew and lately Russell have.

Are you serious about Ben? How many games have they won with Landry Jones?

1) Aaron Rodgers (hate to say but true)

2) Tom Brady (another one I am not crazy about

3) Ben Roethlisberger

4) Andrew Luck 

5) Russell Wilson

(Love Phillips Rivers but I am afraid he is on the decline.)

20 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I like your list. However, you did not have Wilson at all in your first list but now he is second on your revised list. What changed?

Your first list:

lol ohh i was told the top 5 were suppose to be for Quarterbacks still playing in the league 

I like seeing Russell Wilson get a lot of love. A lot of people seem to knock him for having a strong defense, but something that gets lost is how consistently terrible his Oline is, as well as the sea of mediocrity he gets from his receivers. I know to some Colts fans it's pretty much sacrilege to put him over Luck, but at this point in their careers I would. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Are you serious about Ben? How many games have they won with Landry Jones?

1) Aaron Rodgers (hate to say but true)

2) Tom Brady (another one I am not crazy about

3) Ben Roethlisberger

4) Andrew Luck 

5) Russell Wilson

He's important to the steelers, but when's the last time Ben had to have an unreal stellar game for Pittsburgh to have a shot to win? He's got bell and brown and an improving defense. 

His presence is huge no doubt. Usually, when he's there, they win. When he's not, they lose. But he doesn't carry his team the way Luck, Brees and Wilson do.

35 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

He's important to the steelers, but when's the last time Ben had to have an unreal stellar game for Pittsburgh to have a shot to win? He's got bell and brown and an improving defense. 

His presence is huge no doubt. Usually, when he's there, they win. When he's not, they lose. But he doesn't carry his team the way Luck, Brees and Wilson do.

I appreciate that you believe that Wilson carries his team because most people believe the defense carries the Seahawks. I like Wilson.

Roethlisberger is one of the most underrated quarterbacks. You say that he has Bell and Brown. Is Brown that much better than TY Hilton? And he has not had Bell for much of the past two years (injured, suspended). I would take Gore over Bell's backup D'Angelo Williams. My point is, how is Luck carrying the team and Roethlisberger is not? Defensively, yes, the Steelers are better but you did not hold other QBs' defenses against them when ranking the other QBs.

Roethlisberger is a first ballot Hall of Famer. He is still playing like a top player.

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Forget the NFC. The Falcons aren't even gonna win their division. 

Tampa is gonna be better, Carolina will probably bounce back and the Saints still got Brees. They were lucky to get the first round bye with an 11-5 record. They avoided (arguably) the two best teams in the NFC with Aaron Rodgers just clutching it up against NYG and Dallas. Instead they played the flawed (and tattered) Seahawks, and the crap show that was the Packers defense. 

They played brilliantly for three quarters in the super bowl before completely unraveling. Atlanta is good, but they don't scare me. Neither does Matt Ryan. He put up MVP numbers with arguably the best offensive personnel and coaching in the league. 

You are totally low balling the Falcons that team is gonna be good for awhile that D is just gonna get better with experience they were almost all first or 2nd year players full of talent and they will add more with this deep draft class 

23 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You are totally low balling the Falcons that team is gonna be good for awhile that D is just gonna get better with experience they were almost all first or 2nd year players full of talent and they will add more with this deep draft class 

We literally said the exact same thing about Carolina. 

Not saying Falcons gonna suck. I like them, and I like Matty Ice. But in todays NFL, I just don't see a team (besides the Pats because lets be honest, they're special) being a dynasty that will consistently challenge for superbowls year in year out. Even teams with young QBs like Oakland at best I see being a consistent playoff team. 

I take back the South comment, I think they're in the running for it obviously. They will be for the next 3-5 years probably, but I don't see them being a perennial top dog, especially in the NFC, where a 4-12 team turns around and goes 13-3 the very next year (Cowboys).

Doesn't mean they can't/won't win a SB, but they won't be odds on favourites year in year out.

8 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

We literally said the exact same thing about Carolina. 

Not saying Falcons gonna suck. I like them, and I like Matty Ice. But in todays NFL, I just don't see a team (besides the Pats because lets be honest, they're special) being a dynasty that will consistently challenge for superbowls year in year out. Even teams with young QBs like Oakland at best I see being a consistent playoff team. 

I take back the South comment, I think they're in the running for it obviously. They will be for the next 3-5 years probably, but I don't see them being a perennial top dog, especially in the NFC, where a 4-12 team turns around and goes 13-3 the very next year (Cowboys).

Doesn't mean they can't/won't win a SB, but they won't be odds on favourites year in year out.

They have way more talent then Carolina had and a better offense too I'm not saying they will be a dynasty but winning the south will be very likely for quite a few years 

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

My first thought scanning through the lists was that I was surprised that Rivers didn't make anybody's list.  I figured he would sneak in at the #5 spot for somebody.  Then I had to go back and pay a little more attention to see that he at least got mentioned.  Even Eli got mentioned, and he was terrible last year.  First time that I've ever thought that Eli was truly a liability to the Giants.

Active right now? 

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Roethlisberger are givens. Then it isn't as clear. I'd say Cam or maybe Ryan at number five. I know he's only had one MVP season but Ryan really put it all together this year and deserved the trophy. Cam is a monster. 

34 minutes ago, JCPatriot said:

My first thought scanning through the lists was that I was surprised that Rivers didn't make anybody's list.  I figured he would sneak in at the #5 spot for somebody.  Then I had to go back and pay a little more attention to see that he at least got mentioned.  Even Eli got mentioned, and he was terrible last year.  First time that I've ever thought that Eli was truly a liability to the Giants.

Rivers is one of my favorite QBs all time. I have liked him since he was at NC State. Too bad he never won a Super Bowl; that could keep.him out of the Hall of Fame. I think Rivers is a better QB than Eli but Eli has the rings. Eli may win another one -- Giant are looking good for next year.