Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What to do with about 30 mil

Tmoney

We've been pretty active in FA and its been hit and miss so far. Some can really impact this roster and others are for competition and 1 year flyers. I like that we haven't hurt ourselves with terrible long term contracts, but I think impactful defenders are still out there that we can definitely afford. 

Johnathan Hankins is reportedly getting closer to finally caving in and re signing to a cheaper contract with NY. With NT being such a big need, why not go after him and possibly get him for a great deal. I'd say 3 yr UP TO 24 mil 

Zach Brown is reportedly choosing between Oakland and Miami. He's looking for a deal at only 6 mil per. That would be such a steal, if I was Ballard I'd sneak in and offer him a 3 yr UP TO 21 mil. 

Mychal Kendricks is not a FA but is openly on the trade market. Philly wants a 5th this year, but with no action maybe we could give them a 5 or 6 next year. His contract is very good, pretty cheap and could be easily replaced because we dont give up much to get him.

What do the fans think we should do with this money? I personally dont see the value in saving so much when we have so many holes to fill.

It's more like $20m, and I think they're done, unless a good player falls in their laps over the next couple months.

If they roll over a healthy chunk, they'll be a little bit closer to true contention in 2018. Might have a new coaching staff also. 

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's more like $20m, and I think they're done, unless a good player falls in their laps over the next couple months.

If they roll over a healthy chunk, they'll be a little bit closer to true contention in 2018. Might have a new coaching staff also. 

Yea, I'd say roll it over, or try to lock up Moncrief for 3 more years at a lower deal then it would be if he goes off this season, or try to get Vontae into a 3 year extension that will keep him through his prime.

2 hours ago, Tmoney said:

We've been pretty active in FA and its been hit and miss so far. Some can really impact this roster and others are for competition and 1 year flyers. I like that we haven't hurt ourselves with terrible long term contracts, but I think impactful defenders are still out there that we can definitely afford. 

Johnathan Hankins is reportedly getting closer to finally caving in and re signing to a cheaper contract with NY. With NT being such a big need, why not go after him and possibly get him for a great deal. I'd say 3 yr UP TO 24 mil 

Zach Brown is reportedly choosing between Oakland and Miami. He's looking for a deal at only 6 mil per. That would be such a steal, if I was Ballard I'd sneak in and offer him a 3 yr UP TO 21 mil. 

Mychal Kendricks is not a FA but is openly on the trade market. Philly wants a 5th this year, but with no action maybe we could give them a 5 or 6 next year. His contract is very good, pretty cheap and could be easily replaced because we dont give up much to get him.

What do the fans think we should do with this money? I personally dont see the value in saving so much when we have so many holes to fill.

Save the $30mil then pay Adam Vinateri  $100 million next off season 

Super Bowl!!!!! :lombardi: 

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not too sure over the cap and sport track have two different amounts but Yea your probably right. I'd guess after cutting Art its a Lil over 20 tho maybe like 22-23. 

How much exactly would roll over tho? I'm sure not the full amount and there are quality options at big needs rn in FA. Just my thinking

20 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I'm not too sure over the cap and sport track have two different amounts but Yea your probably right. I'd guess after cutting Art its a Lil over 20 tho maybe like 22-23. 

How much exactly would roll over tho? I'm sure not the full amount and there are quality options at big needs rn in FA. Just my thinking

We figured out the other day that one is counting our roll over from last year and the other isn't.  I just looked, ones showing about 27 mil and the other is showing 35 million but niether take into account the required amount to sign draft pics(6 mill roughly) 

extend Moncrief and Mewhort with the 30 mil and go have a hot chocolate and call it a day......I would wait until we are through the FA period though before I even started the process.....and I may wait as a new GM and let them show me their value first hand this season, but I may have to pay more if I do that.....the flip side I may think, meh, that's replaceable too. Its what I will call the Vegas option.

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Don't you need to spend a certain amount of the total? Did we reach that figure already? 

2 hours ago, cbear said:

Don't you need to spend a certain amount of the total? Did we reach that figure already? 

For the 500th time. Yes, but it is averaged over a 4 year period so it can dip one year raised another.
 The reason Cleveland had 90+million to spend THIS off season. SF 80m etc...

17 hours ago, Tmoney said:

You want to pay Brown for a good half season. No. Let`s draft OUR guy.
 Top D coach Schwartz benched Kendricks because his pass D is weak. He is the same size (small) as Edwin Jackson. No, let`s try Ed for $525,000 ish.
 If we have $23m, signing Hankins for $8M and paying our rookies $6 leaves us with $9M.
 We will likely get a chance at another player or two after the draft, camps, pre-season, final cuts.
  Ballard i believe, will keep his options open. JMO of course.

19 hours ago, Superman said:

To your point...Given that we rolled over about $10M from last year, we're only about $10M under the actual cap on a level year basis (after rookie pool added in)...we're not exactly sandbagging the cap and its nice to have your rollover available as dead money cushion for unforeseen future decisions.  

We do have room to make a compelling signing...but there isn't anything compelling to purchase on the market, nor does it make sense to over invest in a roster this year when the mission for 2017 is to sort things out and see who the real players are while adding a few playmakers in a deep draft.  Doesn't mean we won't compete, or even make a deep run, but there is zero reason to spend more than $165M in cap dollars.

Ballard has set himself up strategically to take what the draft gives him.  He's obviously expecting the draft to yield at least 2 corners, a safety, an ILB or 2, an EDGE and a RB.  If it falls differently, and it probably will, we can expect to bring in late vet additions on team friendly deals....so we know he's holding some money for that and in season moves.

Heck, lets really bite the bullet and sign not only Hankins and Brown, but Revis as well to play alongside Davis.  Our defense would be stout with these 3 additions and they won't break the bank and we won't have to rely on nailing every draft pick. Revis would be the only one that might be getting overpaid, but that would only be on a 1-2 year deal.

I don't see anyone projecting McCaffrey going to the Colts, yet I hear some experts putting McCaffrey above Fournette. He is from Stanford so you know the kid is smart and we have a good track record with Stanford players. He excels at everything, plus who was the last good white boy running back n the NFL? Peyton Hillis? Madden curse got him and he wasn't even half as versatile as McCaffrey who can not only receive like a receiver(top 5 WR as well as top 3 RB) but he can also return the ball. We have like 3 or 4 guys that take turns as the returner, McCaffrey allows us to pretty much cut all those guys.

We need to sign a couple more guys so we can pick the best player on the board come our turn in the draft. As it stands, we still have too many holes to do that. McCaffrey could step in immediately and provide 50 yards of offense running and catching the ball. 8-10 carries for Gore and Turbin both and just 4-6 for McCaffrey while giving him another 4-6 targets in the passing game. And when Gore retires after this season, or next, then McCaffrey still compliments Turbin perfectly.

If we signed these 3 players, and took McCaffrey with the first pick, then we could get another edge rusher in the 2nd and a CB in the 3rd to replace Revis in his 2nd or 3rd year.

23 minutes ago, Eric East said:
Heck, lets really bite the bullet and sign not only Hankins and Brown, but Revis as well to play alongside Davis.  Our defense would be stout with these 3 additions and they won't break the bank and we won't have to rely on nailing every draft pick. Revis would be the only one that might be getting overpaid, but that would only be on a 1-2 year deal.

I don't see anyone projecting McCaffrey going to the Colts, yet I hear some experts putting McCaffrey above Fournette. He is from Stanford so you know the kid is smart and we have a good track record with Stanford players. He excels at everything, plus who was the last good white boy running back n the NFL? Peyton Hillis? Madden curse got him and he wasn't even half as versatile as McCaffrey who can not only receive like a receiver(top 5 WR as well as top 3 RB) but he can also return the ball. We have like 3 or 4 guys that take turns as the returner, McCaffrey allows us to pretty much cut all those guys.

We need to sign a couple more guys so we can pick the best player on the board come our turn in the draft. As it stands, we still have too many holes to do that. McCaffrey could step in immediately and provide 50 yards of offense running and catching the ball. 8-10 carries for Gore and Turbin both and just 4-6 for McCaffrey while giving him another 4-6 targets in the passing game. And when Gore retires after this season, or next, then McCaffrey still compliments Turbin perfectly.

If we signed these 3 players, and took McCaffrey with the first pick, then we could get another edge rusher in the 2nd and a CB in the 3rd to replace Revis in his 2nd or 3rd year.

Revis?  His island got leveled two years ago.

On 3/26/2017 at 5:00 AM, Tmoney said:

I'm not as big a fan of Hankins as everyone else, and I don't think we need Brown. I think they'll come out of the draft with a nice ILB prospect, and if not, I'm thinking Spence, Jackson and Morrison are decent enough for right now. The staff seems to be done adding in free agency.

They'll roll over whatever they don't spend. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Trumaine Johnson would cost a high pick. What are you willing to part with? 

Then you have to pay him.

I'd be willing to part with a second rounder for a proven commodity. We will have to pay Vontae Davis soon anyways after this year but if Vontae were to be banged up again and ends up being re-signed for less after this year, Trumaine can slide in as a #1 as well, IMO.

Ballard has to pay somebody at some time, might as well be now for 1 premium position.

There's still a bunch of guys w some potential out on the street that I'd love for us to make some small $, short terms offers to in hopes of landing some:

Will Compton

Gerald Hodges

Sam Barrington

Nickell Roby-Coleman

Brandon Boykin

Justin Gilbert

TJ McDonald

I know Hodges seems to be a forum favorite. I'd love to make a run at Compton, though. He is not anything spectacular. But he is still only 27 and has experience not just starting as an ILB in the 3-4, but also leading a defense and calling plays. I know he didn't "grade out" well as per places like PFF, but having watched him play he is still a guy I would want on my team. Barrington i had some hopes for when with GB and he never truly panned out. I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on him if Compton or Hodges were no goes.

I know Roby-Coleman is another forum fave, but i also wouldn't mind seeing if Pagano and company couldn't squeeze some of the untapped potential out of either Boykin or Gilbert. Boykin was a heck of a slot guy in Philly initially and then he just seemed to struggle there and in Pitt lately. Gilbert would just be a guy I'd love to see what the staff could do with and if they could ever get him to reach any of that potential that made him a 1st round pick way back when.

With re-signing Butler, safety is a bit less of a need. But McDonald is still young and experienced and I would love adding him and allowing Butler to help in the slot at times or allow Geathers to play in the box more if we went to a 3 Safety set, etc.

I still hope we are not completely done w free agency and that we add a few pieces of the scrap heap as free agency winds down

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I'd be willing to part with a second rounder for a proven commodity. We will have to pay Vontae Davis soon anyways after this year but if Vontae were to be banged up again and ends up being re-signed for less after this year, Trumaine can slide in as a #1 as well, IMO.

Ballard has to pay somebody at some time, might as well be now for 1 premium position.

I'd be okay letting Vontae walk if we were to add Trumaine. 

I don't think a 2nd gets it done, and I don't want to give up a 2nd in this year's draft. I definitely don't think a future 2nd gets it done. And then you have to give him $14-15m/year. (He has signed his tender, so you can't give him an offer sheet, but that would cost two firsts anyway.)

And we still have issues up front, so our defense is still not going to be in the top half of the league, even with Johnson and Davis both at the top of their game. 

I don't see them keeping him on the tag for a third year, so there's a chance he reaches free agency next year. I think it's more likely that they're working on a long term deal and don't have any intention of getting rid of him. Which means that to have any chance of getting him, you probably have to make a dramatic offer, which isn't a good idea when our defense is still a couple steps away from being good, and we really need to build the roster through the draft to get as many pieces as possible.

37 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think a 2nd gets it done, and I don't want to give up a 2nd in this year's draft. I definitely don't think a future 2nd gets it done. And then you have to give him $14-15m/year. (He has signed his tender, so you can't give him an offer sheet, but that would cost two firsts anyway.)

And we still have issues up front, so our defense is still not going to be in the top half of the league, even with Johnson and Davis both at the top of their game. 

I don't see them keeping him on the tag for a third year, so there's a chance he reaches free agency next year. I think it's more likely that they're working on a long term deal and don't have any intention of getting rid of him. Which means that to have any chance of getting him, you probably have to make a dramatic offer, which isn't a good idea when our defense is still a couple steps away from being good, and we really need to build the roster through the draft to get as many pieces as possible.

If a 2nd doesn't get it done for Trumaine, I'd rather give up a 3rd and roll the dice on getting 2 great years from Sherman with less guaranteed money on his contract than current and future CB contracts. It may also buy us the time to bring along any rookie CBs we draft.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If a 2nd doesn't get it done for Trumaine, I'd rather give up a 3rd and roll the dice on getting 2 great years from Sherman with less guaranteed money on his contract than current and future CB contracts. It may also buy us the time to bring along any rookie CBs we draft.

I'd rather have Sherman's contract, definitely, but I don't think a 3rd gets it done for him, either.

He's also a blowhard. Personalities don't bother me, but I think there are a few fans on this site who wouldn't enjoy having Sherman on the Colts. That's neither here nor there...

23 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

For the 500th time. Yes, but it is averaged over a 4 year period so it can dip one year raised another.
 The reason Cleveland had 90+million to spend THIS off season. SF 80m etc...

How much do you have to spend (on average for the four years).  80%, 90%?

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I read where they were looking for a 2nd.  It was after the tag but I don't remember where I read it. They realized they wouldn't get a 1st.  but a second possibly.  You would probably have to do what the Saints are doing with Butler.  Negotiate a deal ahead of time. 

1 hour ago, cbear said:

How much do you have to spend (on average for the four years).  80%, 90%?

It's not averaged over the four years. It's a total of the four year cap. The cap is different each year, so you can only project what can/should be spent in future years.

But the number is 89%.

That means if the cap is $150m, $160m, $170m and $180m, for instance, over the course of the four year accounting period, for a total of $660m, at the end of the 2020 league year, each team needs to have spent a total of $587.4m in cash (not cap figures, cash) between 2017 and 2020. No team needs to worry about the spending floor right now.

The "penalty" for not reaching the spending floor is simple: the team has to square up with the NFLPA. So if the floor is $587.4m, and the Colts only spend $577.4m, they have to send a check for $10m to the NFLPA, and the NFLPA divides that money between the players who were on the Colts roster during that four year period. No team had to send a check to the NFLPA for the four year period between 2013-16.

There's also a league-wide salary floor. All 32 teams collectively must spend at least 95% of the total cap between 2017-2020. The "penalty" is the same -- the league cuts a check to the NFLPA for the shortage, minus whatever the individual teams already paid, and the NFLPA distributes that money to the players. The league did not have the send the NFLPA a check for the period between 2013-2016.

Everyone should probably just forget about the salary floor. Teams are going to meet the threshold when they are required to do so. They are not going to spend frivolously every offseason because they're worried about hitting the salary floor.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's not averaged over the four years. It's a total of the four year cap. The cap is different each year, so you can only project what can/should be spent in future years.

But the number is 89%.

That means if the cap is $150m, $160m, $170m and $180m, for instance, over the course of the four year accounting period, for a total of $660m, at the end of the 2020 league year, each team needs to have spent a total of $587.4m in cash (not cap figures, cash) between 2017 and 2020. No team needs to worry about the spending floor right now.

The "penalty" for not reaching the spending floor is simple: the team has to square up with the NFLPA. So if the floor is $587.4m, and the Colts only spend $577.4m, they have to send a check for $10m to the NFLPA, and the NFLPA divides that money between the players who were on the Colts roster during that four year period. No team had to send a check to the NFLPA for the four year period between 2013-16.

There's also a league-wide salary floor. All 32 teams collectively must spend at least 95% of the total cap between 2017-2020. The "penalty" is the same -- the league cuts a check to the NFLPA for the shortage, minus whatever the individual teams already paid, and the NFLPA distributes that money to the players. The league did not have the send the NFLPA a check for the period between 2013-2016.

Everyone should probably just forget about the salary floor. Teams are going to meet the threshold when they are required to do so. They are not going to spend frivolously every offseason because they're worried about hitting the salary floor.

Superman. aka The Capologist.

9 hours ago, Superman said:

But the number is 89%.

Wow!  I did not know it was that complicated.  Thanks for the explanation. 

On 3/27/2017 at 1:45 PM, Superman said:

I'd be okay letting Vontae walk if we were to add Trumaine

especially if we could add Sidney Jones in the 3rd

On 3/26/2017 at 0:40 PM, throwing BBZ said:

You want to pay Brown for a good half season. No. Let`s draft OUR guy.
 Top D coach Schwartz benched Kendricks because his pass D is weak. He is the same size (small) as Edwin Jackson. No, let`s try Ed for $525,000 ish.
 If we have $23m, signing Hankins for $8M and paying our rookies $6 leaves us with $9M.
 We will likely get a chance at another player or two after the draft, camps, pre-season, final cuts.
  Ballard i believe, will keep his options open. JMO of course.

We need 2 ILBs and Zach Brown is one of the more versatile LBs in the NFL. They're the same size but Kendricks is on a whole other level as an athlete. His pass coverage is weak but Edwin's is just as bad if not worse. I'd love to get Hankins especially now his price tag has gone so far down but doesn't seem likely. Guess we are done