Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard open minded with character concerns

Luck 4 president

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Way too much testosterone in here....maybe if Mixon had controlled his, this thread wouldn't be necessary?  Food for thought.

Yes, way too much.

Btw, more examples here that "a leopard can't change its spots". ;)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, way too much.

Btw, more examples here that "a leopard can't change its stripes". ;)

Yes thats true as is "once a thief always a thief"... it just depends on what your values are and how you want to deal with other's values.

7 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Yes thats true as is "once a thief always a thief"... it just depends on what your values are and how you want to deal with other's values.

That was a joke between me and TheRustonRifle#7. I believe he knows what I am referring to. 

But, yes, I agree with your statement. 

58 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Thank you,

I guess I was trying to say the same thing.  People sometimes don't get it from a parents point of view because what they care about is winning football games.

Maybe your post isn't related to mine (maybe it is), but I don't tolerate punk * behavior and I would not tolerate it against a loved one nor from anyone on my team as a coach or anyone with authority.  

I am a matter of fact type person and the matter of fact is I would have loved to been in the room when the man hit the gal..... It may very well have had a different outcome than not being able to go to the combine.

I am now done with it now... feel free to critique if you must.

IF my Kin spoke to someone with that word, they would be dealt with on my side.  Not physically but in a way so that they understood its relevance.  It is unacceptable and anyone that I was raised around was taught different. 

IT, however, does not give "carte blanche" to the "victim" of said transgressions to break the facial bones of the FEMALE.. that was out of line.  I am sorry if this bothers some but it is not acceptable.

9 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

If Mixon can be wound up like that, there are some pretty nasty defenses just waiting to pounce......

I think id be more worried about him blowing up at randoms on the street then on the field. A situation similar to what Revis went through this off-season. If he cant handle his anger over a parking ticket I cant see him staying calm with people/a cell phone camera in his face, giving him crap over hitting women, a recent game result, etc. 

On 3/26/2017 at 11:17 AM, NewColtsFan said:

First,  this is NOT domestic abuse,  this is assault.    And that's not me as a man making that argument.

Over on ESPNW.com (that's their women's page)  they have a long detailed article saying just that.

Domesitc abuse implies a relationship --- there was none --- assault is what it says it is,  and that's just what happened.

Second,  this incident happened nearly 3 years ago,  and since that time there have been no stories --- ZERO --- about any other woman coming forward that I'm aware of saying Mixon did anything wrong to her.     This was a one-time incident.      Didn't happen before.     It hasn't happened since.

Again,  worth noting....     he was 18 years old.    Most 18 year olds don't have an inner-voice that says what to do and what not to do.       That's part of being 18.      This is not the Ray Rice case.

So we are just ignoring the female parking attendant he threatened to run over in November? 

You are right that this isnt domestic abuse, as he doesnt know any of the women. But when you have 2 off field incidents in your career and they are both violence against women, it definitely raises questions about how he treats women. 

30 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

So we are just ignoring the female parking attendant he threatened to run over in November? 

You are right that this isnt domestic abuse, as he doesnt know any of the women. But when you have 2 off field incidents in your career and they are both violence against women, it definitely raises questions about how he treats women. 

You may be right,  but this is the first I've heard a description with the parking lady that "he threatened to run over"....

All I've ever heard about that incident is that he tore up the ticket and tossed it in her face....

Again,  I'm not saying you're wrong....     only that I've never heard or read that anywhere?

is their a link for this?

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right,  but this is the first I've heard a description with the parking lady that "he threatened to run over"....

All I've ever heard about that incident is that he tore up the ticket and tossed it in her face....

Again,  I'm not saying you're wrong....     only that I've never heard or read that anywhere?

is their a link for this?

"As for that second chance, Mixon got one, and he threw it away. In November, barely four months ago, Mixon had another run-in with a woman. This time, it was a female parking attendant at the university who gave Mixon a $40 ticket. According to the attendant’s report, Mixon allegedly tore up the ticket, threw it in her face and inched his car toward the attendant to intimidate her."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/03/03/detroit-lions-joe-mixon/98683946/

21 hours ago, BR-549 said:

So if someone murders someone when they are 17 you want to give them a pass... nice

Never said I wanted to punish him forever, said I would not draft him.... read my post again before making assumptions.

Is it a pass? 

Ex-cons get hired all the time. I think a person can earn a second chance. I don't think doing something dumb -- even violent and dangerous, even if you hurt someone else -- means that you should forever be blackballed. Let the punishment fit the crime, and after that, if a person has shown growth and maturity, maybe don't hold their dumb mistake over their heads for the rest of their lives.

On the other hand, some people continue to do stupid stuff over and over again, without regard for authority or for anyone else's feelings. 

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

With respect I don't put too much thoughts into Bleacher Report. They have a history of either being wrong or over exaggerating issues.

Matt Miller is reputable, and knows his stuff. Bleacher Report has some good people these days, it's not all fanboys and aliases spouting nonsense anymore.

And they've gotten rid of the slideshows, so their site is actually readable now.

14 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

"As for that second chance, Mixon got one, and he threw it away. In November, barely four months ago, Mixon had another run-in with a woman. This time, it was a female parking attendant at the university who gave Mixon a $40 ticket. According to the attendant’s report, Mixon allegedly tore up the ticket, threw it in her face and inched his car toward the attendant to intimidate her."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/03/03/detroit-lions-joe-mixon/98683946/

OK....    thanks....   now that you've refreshed my memory,  I actually do remember reading that passage.   

I'm just not as bothered by it as you are.      Maybe that's on me...     maybe I should be....    I just didn't read it and think he's going to run her over.     I thought he was just being a stupid kid...

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK....    thanks....   now that you've refreshed my memory,  I actually do remember reading that passage.   

I'm just not as bothered by it as you are.      Maybe that's on me...     maybe I should be....    I just didn't read it and think he's going to run her over.     I thought he was just being a stupid kid...

That's kind of the problem, he knows all eyes are on him...he knows he is being evaluated on everything he does..he knows he has questions about his character already and then to be a "stupid kid" and do something like that is a red flag. If he can't get it together now , when he has so much on the line how comfortable are you spending one of our draft picks and giving him millions of dollars and hoping he grows up??? Me, I'm not..he's a great running back and if he gets his act together he could have a great career...but to me it's just to many red flags..find a "safer" option and move on.

14 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

That's kind of the problem, he knows all eyes are on him...he knows he is being evaluated on everything he does..he knows he has questions about his character already and then to be a "stupid kid" and do something like that is a red flag. If he can't get it together now , when he has so much on the line how comfortable are you spending one of our draft picks and giving him millions of dollars and hoping he grows up??? Me, I'm not..he's a great running back and if he gets his act together he could have a great career...but to me it's just to many red flags..find a "safer" option and move on.

This is just an academic discussion of sorts.

I've posted countless times about Mixon,  I think the topic is interesting.

But,  that said,   there is no part of me that thinks the Irsay family would approve of the Colts drafting Mixon.

It won't happen.      Ballard may want him,  but the Irsay's will never sign off.    And I've always thought that.

If it happened,   i'd be beyond stunned....

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly if it were just the parking incident it wouldnt be that big an issue. Even if it were just the original incident you could say he was a dumb kid that learned his lesson. But the fact that he has 2 instances where he was being abusive to women eliminates him getting the benefit of the doubt. Even if you dont believe he would hit her, he still put the car in drive and moved it towards her. While hes not doing it, hes still threatening to do it. That in itself is abusive behavior. I also find it hard to believe that he was completely silent during the whole exchange. Verbal and psychological abuse is still abuse. 

But at this point its not 100% certain that its a specific issue with women. Its trending that way, but 2 isnt exactly a large sample size. It could just be a coincidence that they were both women. That being said, if its anger issues its going to be rough for him. As i explained above, if he cant handle a $40 parking ticket, hes in for a lot of trouble when he has *s on the street coming up to him, like what Revis dealt with earlier this year. 

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

Is it a pass? 

Ex-cons get hired all the time. I think a person can earn a second chance. I don't think doing something dumb -- even violent and dangerous, even if you hurt someone else -- means that you should forever be blackballed. Let the punishment fit the crime, and after that, if a person has shown growth and maturity, maybe don't hold their dumb mistake over their heads for the rest of their lives.

On the other hand, some people continue to do stupid stuff over and over again, without regard for authority or for anyone else's feelings. 

I didn't really want to rehash my intent with that post or my take on second chances again, but....

First... I was absolutely not comparing the two perceived violations.  In a sarcastic way I was being as ridiculous as the other poster at the time.  My comment about the kids in the military was taken completely out of context and it should be fairly clear to most exactly what I meant in the first place.

Second... The Colts can draft Mixon or don't draft him, It really doesn't matter to me.  My whole point was that I will always fiercely defend my stance on violence against women.  And that being a kid is not a good enough reason to dismiss the incident.  Particularly with his responsibility as a D1 highly exposed athlete.

And finally, I only really said in any one statement about Mr. Mixon was that I personally would not draft him.  I did not say others couldn't or shouldn't.  I never said people should not be given second chances either, of course they should. One would think, however, that he was fully aware of what happen to Ray Rice and that there is a possibility that the same could happen to him.  He knows (knew) how he feels (felt) about hitting a woman in his mind.   Did you when you were 18?

I don't buy the "I was only 18 and I didn't know any better" crap.  Thats fair enough for this situation isn't it?  

Either way I don't intend to comment on it any further, it is just too close to me and most seem to put the athlete in front of the person and I can't change that so I will let it be.  

Like I said, I won't be mad or upset if we draft him, which becomes his second/ third chance however you want to look at it.... I am positive I wrote that somewhere in this thread.  If we do I will root for him and I hope we are able to rehabilitate his behavior and thought process in regard to the subject and we never hear of it happening again... : )

52 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I don't buy the "I was only 18 and I didn't know any better" crap.  Thats fair enough for this situation isn't it?  

I know you said you're done, and I know that your earlier comment was taken out of context. I just want to respond to this. 

I agree that being young isn't an excuse for doing something wrong. A young person should be held accountable for their actions (to a reasonable degree) just like an older person would be. Let the punishment fit the crime. To an extent, I think that argument is being mischaracterized, also. 

But once someone has dealt with the consequences of their actions, if they get accepted back as a functioning member of society, it's not 'giving them a pass.' (In this case, the legal system dealt with Mixon, he was suspended from Oklahoma for a year, and he still has pending civil action against him. He wasn't given a pass. One could argue whether his punishment was appropriately severe, but he was definitely punished.) Any team considering Mixon, or any other establishment considering anyone with significant legal issues in the past, would take those issues under consideration, and make a decision in light of the information they have, including his more recent run-in with a parking attendant, who happened to be a woman (is there a pattern, or just a coincidence?)

The truth is somewhere between the extremes (like always). You don't dismiss serious offenses just because a person was young and dumb, saying 'he's older and wiser now, and has learned from his mistakes.' A person should be able to give evidence that they've learned from their mistakes, over a sufficient period of time. But you also don't kick the person out of regular society for the rest of their lives, and never allow them to resume their role in the world. 

Things like this should be considered on a case by case basis. It may be that Mixon is scum and shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL (or that may be true of someone else). Or maybe he really is more mature and has learned from his past and grown as a person. I just don't agree with saying 'what he did was awful, he should be banned from the NFL.' 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I know you said you're done, and I know that your earlier comment was taken out of context. I just want to respond to this. 

I agree that being young isn't an excuse for doing something wrong. A young person should be held accountable for their actions (to a reasonable degree) just like an older person would be. Let the punishment fit the crime. To an extent, I think that argument is being mischaracterized, also. 

But once someone has dealt with the consequences of their actions, if they get accepted back as a functioning member of society, it's not 'giving them a pass.' (In this case, the legal system dealt with Mixon, he was suspended from Oklahoma for a year, and he still has pending civil action against him. He wasn't given a pass. One could argue whether his punishment was appropriately severe, but he was definitely punished.) Any team considering Mixon, or any other establishment considering anyone with significant legal issues in the past, would take those issues under consideration, and make a decision in light of the information they have, including his more recent run-in with a parking attendant, who happened to be a woman (is there a pattern, or just a coincidence?)

The truth is somewhere between the extremes (like always). You don't dismiss serious offenses just because a person was young and dumb, saying 'he's older and wiser now, and has learned from his mistakes.' A person should be able to give evidence that they've learned from their mistakes, over a sufficient period of time. But you also don't kick the person out of regular society for the rest of their lives, and never allow them to resume their role in the world. 

Things like this should be considered on a case by case basis. It may be that Mixon is scum and shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL (or that may be true of someone else). Or maybe he really is more mature and has learned from his past and grown as a person. I just don't agree with saying 'what he did was awful, he should be banned from the NFL.' 

I agree with your entire statement as long as you are not saying that I was doing what I have in bold... because that would not be true.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Matt Miller is reputable, and knows his stuff. Bleacher Report has some good people these days, it's not all fanboys and aliases spouting nonsense anymore.

And they've gotten rid of the slideshows, so their site is actually readable now.

That's good to know. I haven't had any contact with their sites in a long time because of what you said. I used to hate the fanboys and aliases as you call them.

On 3/26/2017 at 0:45 PM, jbaron04 said:

I understand but does the woman who hit him get a free pass? It goes both ways he was wrong but people need to stop putting there hands on people period men and woman 

Yes, she does. 

On 3/25/2017 at 2:08 PM, IrishColt22 said:

Here is what annoys me about Mixon right. Ppl saying I'd be okay drafting him in the 3/4th round but not the 1st. The man it seems is talent wise a 1st round pick (seems to be a general agreement). Then you pick him in the first..players are drafted primarily on how talented they are. Saying you're okay with drafting him in later rounds is a cop out because he would be a steal. You are either okay with drafting him or not. If you are, based on talent than spending a 1st on him shouldn't be a problem. If you're not okay with want he did you don't want to draft him. Whatever about peds and drug... This is a different ball game that me personally is not okay with and I have gone back and forth on him because he is such a great talent and I know she, from accounts I have read, I have not seen the video was the Initiate of the fight, but as of today I would not be okay with him on the colts roster. If you think it was a youngster mistake, a once off thing than fine. But for me if it happened once it can happen again and I don't want that around my team.

Sent from my iPad *

I can't speak for everyone but for me, I would not want the Colts to draft him in the 1st round because he's not going to be drafted in the 1st round, if that makes sense.  His past is enough to drop him out of the first round consideration, so it would be a wasted pick.

So then it becomes the game and why it's important for the GMs and Owners to know the other GMs and owners well, to know or find out when another team may be thinking about pulling the trigger on a player and try to make a trade to get ahead of them.

Reuban Foster on the other hand, what happened at the combine is enough for some teams to remove him from their board but there is still a slim to none chance for him to not get drafted in the 1st round(Steelers or Ravens would be happy to have him I bet.  So then you take than chance at 15 (assuming the staff likes what they found when they vetted the him).

12 hours ago, BOTT said:

Yes, she does. 

I understand what's your getting at men should not hit women I agree but, to be fair women should not hit men also in fact unless you play a combat sport people should keep their hand to them selves tbh

On 3/26/2017 at 6:18 AM, LockeDown said:

Domestic abuse is learned behavior and not a maturity issue.

We've gone back forth on this multiple times before. I do feel the need to point out, yet again, that this was not domestic abuse, so it shouldn't have been labeled as such. I know you have a crusade against Mixon and you're entitled to your opinion, but please stop spouting off untrue information.

On 3/26/2017 at 3:04 PM, Majin Vegeta said:

As Joe Mixon starts to rise up draft boards and Dalvin Cook starts to fall, this is an interesting statement to hear from Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller. 

Miller made the comment on a Bleacher Report Facebook video  stating that teams are more comfortable with Mixon’s off-the-field issues over Cook’s.

http://fanbuzz.com/story/nfl-scout-dalvin-cook-joe-mixon-draft-stock/

I think a lot of that has to do with Mixon being held accountable, while Cook has never really faced any consequences for things he has done. Who knows if he's guilty of punching that woman, but his red flags were enough for me to take him off my board a while ago.

On 3/26/2017 at 7:00 PM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I am going to weigh in as a Father of a Daughter and Step Daughter...a Son of a Mother...a Brother of a Sister..an Uncle of two Nieces...a Nephew of a an Aunt and a Cousin of two female cousins.................

If it was my kin....he would be dead....

Would you also hope that your kin wouldn't provoke and hit a man, assuming he wouldn't hit you back?

I don't have a daughter, but I can sure as hell say that she would know not to hit a man without expecting to be hit back. There are consequences for your actions, regardless who you are.

23 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

College parking attendants tend to be power-tripping ***holes. While I don't want to blindly call her a liar, I don't entirely believe someone in her position that was blatantly disrespected by him tearing up the ticket.

17 hours ago, BOTT said:

Yes, she does. 

So it's ok for a woman to hit a man? I'm not talking in this specific case, just in general..  Not holding people accountable for their actions because of their gender is insane to me and breeds an entire generation of females that believe they are invincible when it comes to hitting men.

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

We've gone back forth on this multiple times before. I do feel the need to point out, yet again, that this was not domestic abuse, so it shouldn't have been labeled as such. I know you have a crusade against Mixon and you're entitled to your opinion, but please stop spouting off untrue information.

I think a lot of that has to do with Mixon being held accountable, while Cook has never really faced any consequences for things he has done. Who knows if he's guilty of punching that woman, but his red flags were enough for me to take him off my board a while ago.

Would you also hope that your kin wouldn't provoke and hit a man, assuming he wouldn't hit you back?

I don't have a daughter, but I can sure as hell say that she would know not to hit a man without expecting to be hit back. There are consequences for your actions, regardless who you are.

College parking attendants tend to be power-tripping ***holes. While I don't want to blindly call her a liar, I don't entirely believe someone in her position that was blatantly disrespected by him tearing up the ticket.

So it's ok for a woman to hit a man? I'm not talking in this specific case, just in general..  Not holding people accountable for their actions because of their gender is insane to me and breeds an entire generation of females that believe they are invincible when it comes to hitting men.

My Daughter knows better thank you.....

Regardless of him being hit by a tiny lady. It still doesn't make it correct for a world class athlete to break her facial bones.  If a 5 year old walks up and hits you plus calls you a name. .is it ok to just drop the kid?  You can defend it all you want and you would be incorrect imo.  My hope is that they both learned from this and can move forward to more productive lives.

42 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

My Daughter knows better thank you.....

Regardless of him being hit by a tiny lady. It still doesn't make it correct for a world class athlete to break her facial bones.  If a 5 year old walks up and hits you plus calls you a name. .is it ok to just drop the kid?  You can defend it all you want and you would be incorrect imo.  My hope is that they both learned from this and can move forward to more productive lives.

And that's awesome. I wish more did. I never said it was ok, nor am I defending his actions. I'm just saying that she isn't completely innocent in all of it.

31 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Domestic abuse > violence against women?  

Who cares what you label it as... 

Two completely different things. Domestic abuse goes so much further than just hitting a woman.

There's a big difference between being in a high tension situation, being hit, and reacting and habitually abusing a significant other.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

And that's awesome. I wish more did. I never said it was ok, nor am I defending his actions. I'm just saying that she isn't completely innocent in all of it.

Two completely different things. Domestic abuse goes so much further than just hitting a woman.

There's a big difference between being in a high tension situation, being hit, and reacting and habitually abusing a significant other.

I can completely agree with that...she should have known not to say that word or to attack anyone. 

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

That is true but the question isn't did he commit domestic abuse or violence against the gal.... they are both character concerns which is why I said what does it matter what we call it..... No worries Shive... I really shouldn't have said anything, I have weighed in enough on the topic...

Carry on 

59 minutes ago, Shive said:

So basically mixon gets a pass because you have met parking attendants you didnt like? 

There is video proof of mixon not able to keep his cool and doing something stupid, yet he gets the benefit of the doubt over some person you have never heard of based simply on her profession? 

Also lying on a police report is a very serious crime. You seriously think that a parking attendant would risk upwards of 10 yrs in jail just to try and defame someone who undermined her authority? 

4 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I can completely agree with that...she should have known not to say that word or to attack anyone. 

I just went back and watched it again.... I assume she called him the "N" word though I don't know for sure... then she pushed hime with both hands, then she slapped him like a mother would her son... it didn't look like enough to deserve what she got.

And.... it seems as though they all know each other and they all probably call each other similar names.... again, don't know for sure but we have all seen and heard that sort of language between people in a group .... It is just too bad it happened period.

1 minute ago, BR-549 said:

I just went back and watched it again.... I assume she called him the "N" word though I don't know for sure... then she pushed hime with both hands, then she slapped him like a mother would her son... it didn't look like enough to deserve what she got.

And.... it seems as though they all know each other and they all probably call each other similar names.... again, don't know for sure but we have all seen and heard that sort of language between people in a group .... It is just too bad it happened period.

It was the "N" word and I agree the punishment didn't fit the crime.  Too much booze is my guess?

32 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

That is true but the question isn't did he commit domestic abuse or violence against the gal.... they are both character concerns which is why I said what does it matter what we call it..... No worries Shive... I really shouldn't have said anything, I have weighed in enough on the topic...

Carry on 

Ah...I can see what you meant by that. Sorry I took it incorrectly.

26 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

So basically mixon gets a pass because you have met parking attendants you didnt like? 

There is video proof of mixon not able to keep his cool and doing something stupid, yet he gets the benefit of the doubt over some person you have never heard of based simply on her profession? 

Also lying on a police report is a very serious crime. You seriously think that a parking attendant would risk upwards of 10 yrs in jail just to try and defame someone who undermined her authority? 

Definitely not giving him a pass. I've also never personally met a parking attendant, nor received a parking ticket. They are generally thought of similarly as "rent-a-cops". Folks that want to be police officers, but for whatever reason, aren't able to. Typically when they get into a position like that, it goes to their head. I'm not saying I don't believe her, I'm just saying that it's her word against his and there's always room for embellishment. It went from OUPD to district court and was instantly dropped. Given his prior issues, I doubt if there was any "attempt to hit her with his car", he would have the book thrown at him.

Also, it didn't specify whether that was just her public account of what happened or if it was her statement to police.

If you even glanced at that article, you'd know it was HEAVILY biased and a near smear piece on Mixon. Not something I'd use as a reference...

24 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

From my understanding, her and her friends were outside when Mixon and his friends approached them. They ended up going inside, Mixon ended up following inside, then the whole thing went down. Also, it was one of her friends that said the n word, not her. It probably added fuel to the fire though and her pushing him, then hitting him sent him over the top.

23 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Too much booze is my guess?

According to Mixon, he's never touched a drop of alcohol in his life. Who knows if that's true or not.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Also, it didn't specify whether that was just her public account of what happened or if it was her statement to police. 

There are several stories that quoted the incident report from police, including the EXACT quote I had listed from the story I posted. The words "according to the incident report" arent definitive enough for you?