Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arthur Jones Released (Merged)

TKnight24

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

What's the chance he cut him because he plans to use the money on Hankins? It's kind of weird timing to wait until now. Anybody has an idea about the rationale behind it?

Why does everyone think he had to do it right at the beginning of free agency?  He had no exact time table probably.  Make sure you have time to get everything in order and finally talk to him and cut him face-to-face.  Ballard said he likes talk with them and not just make a phone call.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

What's the chance he cut him because he plans to use the money on Hankins? It's kind of weird timing to wait until now. Anybody has an idea about the rationale behind it?

That and Jackson seemed like no brainers to me. I don't know why they took so long.

8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Why does everyone think he had to do it right at the beginning of free agency?  He had no exact time table probably.  Make sure you have time to get everything in order and finally talk to him and cut him face-to-face.  Ballard said he likes talk with them and not just make a phone call.

Well I didn't think he HAD to release him in the beginning, but for Jones himself it probably would have been better to be released in the beginning of FA, just like the reasoning Ballard gave for releasing DQ early. If he knew he wanted to release Jones I guess he would have done it early. I think probably he had not decided at the time and waited to see if we can improve the D-line or if we will need Jones. And here's where my speculation about Ballard wanting to free up a roster spot and 5M of capspace to pursue another player comes in. Of course, that's just speculation and I'm not sure if that's good reasoning and that's why I asked if I'm missing something and if there might be some specific reason to do it now that's escaping me.

10 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Just seemed like an easy decision. I don't think anyone expected us to keep him. 

Jones might have been on vacation all this time, and Ballard wanted to talk to him face to face. Who knows... They didn't need to make this move for cap space, so it was no rush at all.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Well I didn't think he HAD to release him in the beginning, but for Jones himself it probably would have been better to be released in the beginning of FA, just like the reasoning Ballard gave for releasing DQ early. If he knew he wanted to release Jones I guess he would have done it early. I think probably he had not decided at the time and waited to see if we can improve the D-line or if we will need Jones. And here's where my speculation about Ballard wanting to free up a roster spot and 5M of capspace to pursue another player comes in. Of course, that's just speculation and I'm not sure if that's good reasoning and I asked if I'm missing something.

I agree it would have been better for Jones to be released early on.  Ballard could have been waiting for certain medicals or even like you said, wait to see what he gets in to improve the line.  I personally would love to bring in Hankins but at this time I do not see that happening.  I don't think he freed up the money for a specific person or anything but I could be wrong for sure.

Just now, Superman said:

Just seemed like an easy decision. I don't think anyone expected us to keep him. 

Jones might have been on vacation all this time, and Ballard wanted to talk to him face to face. Who knows... They didn't need to make this move for cap space, so it was no rush at all.

I agree, they could have had medicals they were waiting on or anything... I do not see this being a move for money towards another FA though IMO.

34 minutes ago, csmopar said:

otc shows it at 30 million with Jones still on the books.  that's why I said in my first post it depends on the source.

Yes , they are different. I think maybe I might have the reason why. It looks like spotrac might be using 167 mill as total cap and over the cap a larger figure ?

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Langford is 31, but he was REALLY good his first year with us until the injury. If he's healthy this year, he'll be a beast once again. You're way better off keeping the guy you know than dropping him for someone you don't, especially a guy like Odrick that has floated around the past few years.

I wouldn't say Ballard knows Langford any better than he does Odrick. And being familiar with the Colts system doesn't appear to matter to Ballard (see Jones, DJax, Walden, Robinson, etc.). 

Odrick has played for two teams...the same number of teams that Langford played for before coming to the Colts. So he hasn't exactly "floated around" the past few years.

Langford did have a very good season when he first got here, but that was somewhat of an outlier. And that was with a different DC and before his injury. Yes, Odrick is also coming off an injury, but comparing their careers, Odrick has produced more consistently.

So if I had my choice, I am choosing the younger, more consistent (and better) Odrick...if the money is the same. I just think it would be a very shrewd move by Ballard if he could switch out Langford for Odrick without spending any additional money.

11 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yes , they are different. I think maybe I might have the reason why. It looks like spotrac might be using 167 mill as total cap and over the cap a larger figure ?

yep.....

175,816,870 is the figure OTC is using.  which includes our roll over from last year.

17 minutes ago, dw49 said:

otc just updated.

$35,266,909 with Jones cut.

40 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I agree, they could have had medicals they were waiting on or anything... I do not see this being a move for money towards another FA though IMO.

Neither do I. They didn't need to cut Jones to sign anyone. 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yep.....

175,816,870 is the figure OTC is using.  which includes our roll over from last year.

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yep.....

This is what appears on the top of spotrac...

"A real-time look at the 2017 salary cap totals for each NFL team, including estimated cap space. Assumes a $167,000,000 team salary cap."

There could be different accounting of car over , dead money and other stuff too I guess.If you subtract the two numbers and compare what the two sites have after doing that , it still won't match up.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Neither do I. They didn't need to cut Jones to sign anyone. 

I agree , before cutting Jones , they had plenty of cap room to have signed any TWO guys that are left on the FA market

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

This is what appears on the top of spotrac...

"A real-time look at the 2017 salary cap totals for each NFL team, including estimated cap space. Assumes a $167,000,000 team salary cap."

There could be different accounting of car over , dead money and other stuff too I guess.If you subtract the two numbers and compare what the two sites have after doing that , it still won't match up.

who knows, regardless, I think we have room for another signing or two.  More if we cut langford. 

Just now, superrep1967 said:

I'm not sure we cut Langford.

i dont think we do either.  and only reason we would is if we found his replacement.  but right now, we're good. with 35 mil, we literally have enough room to sign anyone left that we want and can get to agree to terms with.

The one thing you don't want to do is get a bad reputation among agents....

We've already cut Patrick Robinson after 1 year....   and now we talk here that the Colts should cut Langford?

That's after two years and his first year was great.      His 2nd year was injured.

If the Colts get a reputation for cutting guys quickly it will make that much harder to sign Free Agents in the future.

There's no reason to cut Langford.     Penny wise and pound foolish.....

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

who knows, regardless, I think we have room for another signing or two.  More if we cut langford. 

Why would we cut Langford? At this point in FA it would hinder us more than help us due to the depleted talent left on the market. Langford is veteran leadership, good continuity and solid if unspectacular.

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Now...sign Hankins and Brown. 

And then cut Langford and give Odrick a cheap two-year deal for similar money. Not that Langford is a bad player, but Odrick's a better player and two years younger.

So the Colts would go from:

DJax (33) --> Brown (27)

Jones (31) --> Hankins (25)

Langford (31) --> Odrick (29)

Mathis (37) --> Sheard (28) / Mingo (26)

Walden (32) --> Simon (26)

McNary --> Spence

Now that's how you make a front 7 younger...and better. 

Odrick is a lazy quitter. No passion for the game.

9 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Why would we cut Langford? At this point in FA it would hinder us more than help us due to the depleted talent left on the market. Langford is veteran leadership, good continuity and solid if unspectacular.

im not saying we should.  he's the only one left with any type of cap benefit worth cutting IMO. Do we need too, NO.  But it was a mere observation based solely on cap hit should we need too for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Well I didn't think he HAD to release him in the beginning, but for Jones himself it probably would have been better to be released in the beginning of FA, just like the reasoning Ballard gave for releasing DQ early. If he knew he wanted to release Jones I guess he would have done it early. I think probably he had not decided at the time and waited to see if we can improve the D-line or if we will need Jones. And here's where my speculation about Ballard wanting to free up a roster spot and 5M of capspace to pursue another player comes in. Of course, that's just speculation and I'm not sure if that's good reasoning and that's why I asked if I'm missing something and if there might be some specific reason to do it now that's escaping me.

Ballard may have waited for Jones to continue his rehab. Perhaps he doesn`t like his prospects based on current info.
 I am sure it was understood that that there would be a negotiation regarding this seasons compensation.
 That also may have recently occurred and Jones didn``t like the #`s.
 RJ Francois just signed for $3M.
  If Art is or expects to be healthy, he could command that # and perhaps get to play for a contender.

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Woods is just a DT even though he is listed as NT he isn't big enough for NT Hankins would be awesome.

that is just not true.  not in a 1 gap system.  Now if they want to start doing some 2 gapping, then yes they'll need to add a big space-eating NT.  But if they don't plan to do that then there's no need to bring that type of player in.

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I wouldn't say Ballard knows Langford any better than he does Odrick. And being familiar with the Colts system doesn't appear to matter to Ballard (see Jones, DJax, Walden, Robinson, etc.). 

Odrick has played for two teams...the same number of teams that Langford played for before coming to the Colts. So he hasn't exactly "floated around" the past few years.

Langford did have a very good season when he first got here, but that was somewhat of an outlier. And that was with a different DC and before his injury. Yes, Odrick is also coming off an injury, but comparing their careers, Odrick has produced more consistently.

So if I had my choice, I am choosing the younger, more consistent (and better) Odrick...if the money is the same. I just think it would be a very shrewd move by Ballard if he could switch out Langford for Odrick without spending any additional money.

Meh, Odrick couldnt stop my nephew (a TB SIZED FB) in high school.  My nephrw had a big game the week before so Odrick's coach (at Lebanon HS in Pa) moved him to MLB for the game, presumably to stop my nephew. My nephew made him look like a fool and ran up 3 TDS that day in route to a big win. My nephew was so quick to the hole that LBs never had time to react.

Odrick was so much bigger than EVERYONE else on the field.  Looked like a college player playing against middle schoolers.

8 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Meh, Odrick couldnt stop my nephew (a TB SIZED FB) in high school.  My nephrw had a big game the week before so Odrick's coach (at Lebanon HS in Pa) moved him to MLB for the game, presumably to stop my nephew. My nephew made him look like a fool and ran up 3 TDS that day in route to a big win. My nephew was so quick to the hole that LBs never had time to react.

Odrick was so much bigger than EVERYONE else on the field.  Looked like a college player playing against middle schoolers.

Well I guess that settles that ; )

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

depending on what source, roughly 35 million. below does not include art jones, but I do like how we are dang near 60/40 offense to defense spending.

Total Cap Liabilities: $154,598,127 (Top 51: $145,159,961)
Offense: $75,680,614 Defense: $65,360,367 Special: $5,865,000
Team Salary Cap: $175,816,870
Team Cap Space: $30,656,909(not counting Jones being cut, add 5.1 million to this figure)

So 35 million left??  Me thinks Ballard has a replacement for Art. Could it be Hankins or Brandon Williams. I know that Jones was an end but I still think there is one more big name left before the draft.  CB or DL