Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arthur Jones Released (Merged)

TKnight24

Glad to finally cut that load, good guy but he's just of no use to us when he can't stay healthy anymore. Very unfortunate. Interesting to see if this means we have someone we still wanna go after in FA or maybe it's just to free up the money and we got our eyes on a guy in the draft.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

What's the cap space situation with his release? I'm guessing somewhere around 30 mil

depending on what source, roughly 35 million. below does not include art jones, but I do like how we are dang near 60/40 offense to defense spending.

Total Cap Liabilities: $154,598,127 (Top 51: $145,159,961)
Offense: $75,680,614 Defense: $65,360,367 Special: $5,865,000
Team Salary Cap: $175,816,870
Team Cap Space: $30,656,909(not counting Jones being cut, add 5.1 million to this figure)

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

depending on what source, roughly 35 million. below does not include art jones, but I do like how we are dang near 60/40 offense to defense spending.

Team Cap Space: $30,656,909(not counting Jones being cut, add 5.1 million to this figure)

Jones basically pays for the draft class...so they have $30M left to spend? They could easily bring in Brown and Hankins and still carry over a ton of cap space for next season.

30 minutes ago, MTC said:

Majority of Colts fans were excited when Arthur Jones was signed. Too bad it didn't work out. 

I was one that was super excited when he was signed. Now I'm super excited that cat is gone. Not that he was  a big contributor to a terrible defense but that he rarily contributed at all. When he did play he was nothing more then average. Good riddance.

Now...sign Hankins and Brown. 

And then cut Langford and give Odrick a cheap two-year deal for similar money. Not that Langford is a bad player, but Odrick's a better player and two years younger.

So the Colts would go from:

DJax (33) --> Brown (27)

Jones (31) --> Hankins (25)

Langford (31) --> Odrick (29)

Mathis (37) --> Sheard (28) / Mingo (26)

Walden (32) --> Simon (26)

McNary --> Spence

Now that's how you make a front 7 younger...and better. 

38 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Surely Woods isn't Ballard's solution for NT. Kind of goes against the whole "competition at every position" philosophy since it would be between him and David Parry.

I think Woods was to replace Kerr and eventually Perry(I think if he is guilty of all of those convictions he will be released) in the rotation. I think we sign Hankins or swing a trade for Richardson. 

9 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

I was one that was super excited when he was signed. Now I'm super excited that cat is gone. Not that he was  a big contributor to a terrible defense but that he rarily contributed at all. When he did play he was nothing more then average. Good riddance.

However, if you have a recurrence of injuries happening again, and you have changed 2 GMs and 2 strength and conditioning coaches, the only thing that would not have changed is the turf. The Chiefs' players opined that LOS turf is very hard to land on, Ballard has to be aware of that coming from the Chiefs.

Arthur Jones was nearly not as injured in his Ravens' tenure leading to his contract with us. I hope Ballard and Irsay collaborate on those closely if the injuries happen again. Here is to a minimal injury season (knocking on wood after I type). :) 

18 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Jones basically pays for the draft class...so they have $30M left to spend? They could easily bring in Brown and Hankins and still carry over a ton of cap space for next season.

Not a "ton" but a good 12-15 million. Not a lot in today's NFL. But enough to sign one or two mid tier free agents next year! 

46 minutes ago, bababooey said:

If we wanted Hankins we'd have to give a pretty strong offer. NYG have the highest offer out to him as of earlier this week and he wants more.

The reported amount Giants offered is 1-year 4mil offer. We can offer a little more and be the top bidder without a strong offer.  Just show him 3 years 15mil and I'm sure he will show some interest since no one else has. That also might be a concern and why Ballard has not shown interest as well.

40 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Zach Brown's still out there too...

According to a good friend of Zach Brown's @readytowomble on twitter he is stating that Brown is choosing between Oakland and Miami. Does not sound like the Colts are in the running for Brown at all. 

37 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think that's a little high. Maybe closer to 30 without the draft picks. 

20 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

And then cut Langford and give Odrick a cheap two-year deal for similar money. Not that Langford is a bad player, but Odrick's a better player and two years younger.

Langford is 31, but he was REALLY good his first year with us until the injury. If he's healthy this year, he'll be a beast once again. You're way better off keeping the guy you know than dropping him for someone you don't, especially a guy like Odrick that has floated around the past few years.

18 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think we sign Hankins or swing a trade for Richardson. 

Richardson is a HARD pass. Off the field issues, 1 failed drug test away from being suspended for an entire season, is on the last year of his contract and will want big money on his next contract.

Only in the scenario where you have zero cap $ do you have to cut before signing.  This was probably more of a we can't negotiate on reasonable restructure so see ya later.  He could have easily been cut after a deal was signed.  Now perhaps a deal or trade is complete just not announced yet.

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Too bad it didn't work out. This one I'm willing to chalk up to injuries. It's a bit harsh to count it as a Grigson mistake when Jones never really had the chance to justify his contract.

He got suspended for PEDs too, don't think you can't not call it a mistake. He had plenty of chance if he stayed healthy and clean. Not Grigson's worst move but it's still pretty bad.

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Too bad it didn't work out. This one I'm willing to chalk up to injuries. It's a bit harsh to count it as a Grigson mistake when Jones never really had the chance to justify his contract.

I agree no mistake here but another unfortunate series of events which were mostly injury related.

Just now, Shepman said:

Only in the scenario where you have zero cap $ do you have to cut before signing.  This was probably more of a we can't negotiate on reasonable restructure so see ya later.  He could have easily been cut after a deal was signed.  Now perhaps a deal or trade is complete just not announced yet.

Respectfully disagree. You don't keep someone that doesn't deserve it, especially if they don't fit with the culture.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

He got suspended for PEDs too, don't think you can't not call it a mistake. He had plenty of chance if he stayed healthy and clean. Not Grigson's worst move but it's still pretty bad.

I would bet PEDs were taken because of the injuries so in theory no injuries no PEDs.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

Respectfully disagree. You don't keep someone that doesn't deserve it, especially if they don't fit with the culture.

I don't disagree with your statement, but if that's the reason then why wait until now?

44 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think that's a little high. Maybe closer to 30 without the draft picks. 

That's what I though too, but I went thru the players they have listed, they have  everyone but our new long snapper on there calculated in.

I'm with the majority hoping that the timing of this means Hankins is coming to indy. However it could simply be because Jones has been busy and Ballard wanted to talk to him in person before making the announcement and he just now got the chance to do that. Just a thought, I have no idea if that's true or not. 

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That's what I though too, but I went thru the players they have listed, they have  everyone but our new long snapper on there calculated in.

Spotrac is showing 27 mill without Woods contract or Jones addition. So if you figure Wood at 2 and Jones at +5 brings you around 30 ? 

I have to admit when we signed Jones I was happy, the injuries really derailed him in IND. When he played which wasn't often he was actually not bad. Re watching last years games agianest Houston in the 2nd game he was a beast. If only he was healthy and played like that all the time! He will sign somewhere. It is odd though it took this long to come to this decision?

11 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Spotrac is showing 27 mill without Woods contract or Jones addition. So if you figure Wood at 2 and Jones at +5 brings you around 30 ? 

otc shows it at 30 million with Jones still on the books.  that's why I said in my first post it depends on the source.