Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Offensive Line Ranked Worst In Pocket Space

Vinatieri4

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The line looked much better the last few games last season. It takes rookie linemen a year or two to mature and gain strength to push against full grown men. The original post is why Lamp in the first round wouldn't bother me at all even though our defense needs much help.

19 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

The line looked much better the last few games last season. It takes rookie linemen a year or two to mature and gain strength to push against full grown men. The original post is why Lamp in the first round wouldn't bother me at all even though our defense needs much help.

5th least sacked QB over the last 7 games 

If they wanna go after Cam Robinson or Lamp in the first I'm fine with it. Not an immediate need but you can never have too many offensive linemen. All it takes is someone to roll up on one of their legs and you're down a guy just that fast 

3 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

If they wanna go after Cam Robinson or Lamp in the first I'm fine with it. Not an immediate need but you can never have too many offensive linemen. All it takes is someone to roll up on one of their legs and you're down a guy just that fast 

Wow, I didn't know they did that well. Good stat TKnight.

Yeah this post isn't meant to beat a dead horse. Obviously the offensive line does need to improve. We do have some young guys in place that will help protect the QB, however we do lack depth, and I still feel like it is justified to spend an early round pick on a lineman. 

48 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

That line featured  Jonotthan Harrison starting at LG (who is no longer with the team)

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/19272/colts-o-line-doesnt-give-up-a-sack-for-the-first-time-after-allowing-40-in-first-13-games

4 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Carolina and Indy failed to protect their QBs and both QBs had shoulder surgery. Duh, what can be wrong?

And I always wonder...if Luck is really good behind this line, what could he be with a consistently clean pocket?

4 minutes ago, GoDeep said:

And I always wonder...if Luck is really good behind this line, what could he be with a consistently clean pocket?

That is what we all are waiting for. It's pathetic to see him go down every game but it was good to see the OL get better at the end of the season. With a good OL the running game improves and Luck will be unlimited with what he can do. All fingers are crossed.

2 hours ago, Vinatieri4 said:

Here is an interesting video made by NFL stating that Luck has minimal pocket space roughly 2 yards per play to the nearest defender. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/behind-the-o-line/0ap3000000794780/Creating-Pocket-Space-Best-Worst-O-lines?campaign=fb-nf-sf65472316-sf65472316&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

Wow, I didn't know they did that well. Good stat TKnight.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Carolina and Indy failed to protect their QBs and both QBs had shoulder surgery. Duh, what can be wrong?

1 hour ago, GoDeep said:

I found it!!!! haha 

Continue to develop the young guys. But definitely add OL depth,  can never have too many 

2 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Agree the line looked better later on in the season.  So we may very well have the people on the roster right now to give Luck a solid OL.  

As for the issue with rookie linemen, I think it's more of a technique thing and picking up the right rushers thing then it's a strength thing.  It's more mental mistakes they have to get past then physical ability.  

17 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

I found it!!!! haha 

Continue to develop the young guys. But definitely add OL depth,  can never have too many 

It kinda makes you wonder why they parted ways with Harrison as 1959 stated? Did anyone pick him up yet?

5 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Harrison played pretty well.
 I would bet he gave up fewer pressures per snap than Mewhort.

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Agree the line looked better later on in the season.  So we may very well have the people on the roster right now to give Luck a solid OL.  

As for the issue with rookie linemen, I think it's more of a technique thing and picking up the right rushers thing then it's a strength thing.  It's more mental mistakes they have to get past then physical ability.  

Good point, most rookies say it slows down for them in year two but an NFL weight lifting regime and maturation don't hurt either.

Easy to blame O-line.  I agree with jseg !8 that some of the run game problems are play calling related.

Noticed that Luck holding the ball to long or the WRs not getting open was not mentioed though they contributed to the bad O-line play.

I am willing to play this next season with what we have, maybe picking a late rounder/ UDFA for depth.

9 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

The flashing of that stat might have been the most detrimental thing to Luck's health since the signing of Grigson.  For perspective, over the last 7 games, the Colt defense only allowed 19.4 points a game, which would place them at 7th in the league.  Yet, no one, post 2016, looked at this defense and thought:  no problems, we're fine.  Shockingly however, people are prepared to roll into 2017 with the same Grigson O-line.  

No Luck, no Colts... for a generation, perhaps.

Any impartial semi-football educated observer would say this O line needs more than slight improvement. Castanzo is average at best at LT, possible a reliable RT (waited long enough for him to live up to his pre-draft status). Mewhort is solid, Kelly will be fine. But honestly that would leave LT and RG wide open for improvement. Just being a realist.

5 hours ago, #12. said:

The flashing of that stat might have been the most detrimental thing to Luck's health since the signing of Grigson.  For perspective, over the last 7 games, the Colt defense only allowed 19.4 points a game, which would place them at 7th in the league.  Yet, no one, post 2016, looked at this defense and thought:  no problems, we're fine.  Shockingly however, people are prepared to roll into 2017 with the same Grigson O-line.  

No Luck, no Colts... for a generation, perhaps.

Yes, I am prepared to go into next season with the offensive line of 

Castonzo 

Mewhort 

Kelly 

Haeg 

Clark 

I also said in the exact same breath that I'm not opposed to taking Lamp or Cam Robinson if they're there & to also add OL depth. Let the young guys gel together & maybe we get lucky & get a offensive line like Dallas 

17 hours ago, jseg18 said:

This stat can prove one problem we have. We do not have the ability to run the ball effectively. Teams push the pocket without the threat of our running game. Again, part of that is play calling.

You can't call a play if you don't have the right personnel to make it happen.

After reading and thinking about the dilemma this teams faces at this point I concur that no matter what side of the fence you stand on none of us are wrong.

Yes we need linebackers and edge rushers very bad. But on the other hand it is imperative we protect Luck because without him on the field we have no chance of winning.

I just keep my fingers crossed that Ballard can address both issues with the draft and what free agents already picked up. Some think the free agents he has brought in are not impact players but not having depth players in the past has bit us over and over.

Balance is the key and till we find that we will struggle.

9 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Yes, I am prepared to go into next season with the offensive line of 

Castonzo 

Mewhort 

Kelly 

Haeg 

Clark 

I also said in the exact same breath that I'm not opposed to taking Lamp or Cam Robinson if they're there & to also add OL depth. Let the young guys gel together & maybe we get lucky & get a offensive line like Dallas 

Yes I would like to believe that too, However, the right side of that would be a frequent issue and the LT is average at best. Sorry I just want for more, and I'm possibly wanting too much, but I feel protecting Luck is imperative. An average O line makes for an average team. 

Thanks to Gacker for making a point that is normally pretty popular on this website....

That Luck contributes to the problem by being patient and brave and a bit reckless with his body by holding on to the ball a long time hoping to make a play.      He rarely throws the ball away.

So, as much as bashing as the Colts OL has been a cottage industry here for 5 years,  Luck is part of this problem as well.      It's not just an O-L thing.

I'd be disappointed if they drafted o line in the first. If the latter part of last year is any indication, they should be fine. Maybe add depth in later rounds. I remember hearing Chud talk about the issue of defending stunts. That is a matter of experience and coaching. Luck does need to improve on getting rid of the ball quicker.

11 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I'd be disappointed if they drafted o line in the first. If the latter part of last year is any indication, they should be fine. Maybe add depth in later rounds. I remember hearing Chud talk about the issue of defending stunts. That is a matter of experience and coaching. Luck does need to improve on getting rid of the ball quicker.

Luck has slow delivery and has had that his whole career. I don't see that changing.

He does need to learn to throw the ball away more for sure.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Luck has slow delivery and has had that his whole career. I don't see that changing.

His mechanics are fine. He just needs to realize, he has to keep the D off balance with mixing in quick throws more often.

On 3/24/2017 at 8:23 AM, 1959Colts said:

That's a coincidence, Jack Mewhort if healthy would've been even better

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

His release is fluid with no wasted movements, keeps it high and turns his entire body into it to generate more velocity. His throwing motion is beautiful, its never been his issue and never will be. His problem is all mental, he tries to do too much and waits for a WR to get open instead of moving on in his progression or throwing the ball away. 

6 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

His release is fluid with no wasted movements, keeps it high and turns his entire body into it to generate more velocity. His throwing motion is beautiful, its never been his issue and never will be. His problem is all mental, he tries to do too much and waits for a WR to get open instead of moving on in his progression or throwing the ball away. 

I am not talking about his throwing motion. With his build he is not a quick release QB there for he takes a split second longer than some with his release.  So far he has little time to go through any progressions. Hopefully with better O-line blocking that will improve.

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am not talking about his throwing motion. With his build he is not a quick release QB there for he takes a split second longer than some with his release.  So far he has little time to go through any progressions. Hopefully with better O-line blocking that will improve.

Yea I mean he's not Aaron Rodgers but like I said he doesn't have a hitch or any other flaw in his throwing motion slowing him down. I think a split second longer then a very few some, its really a non issue IMO. He needs to have confidence in himself and his WRs and let it fly and stop hesitating. OL will improve whether we roll with these young guys or we address it. Kamar Aiken might just be the difference, possession WR that runs great routes. He lives in the short to intermediate routes and has a nack for creating space, something we dont have outside TY who will be doubled all year. We will see hopefully Andrew comes back 100% and we show progression this year.

On March 24, 2017 at 10:35 AM, dodsworth said:

You have to also account for the fact that they played a lot of bad defenses at the end of the year last season. 

Sack totals of the teams we faced after the by week (keep in mind we had 33 sacks):

Titans - 40

Steelers - 38

Jets - 27

Texans - 31

Vikings - 41

Raiders - 25 (worst in the NFL)

Jaguars - 33

The Vikings game was promising, but I'm not feeling secure about our line being set for next year. 

18 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

You have to also account for the fact that they played a lot of bad defenses at the end of the year last season. 

Sack totals of the teams we faced after the by week (keep in mind we had 33 sacks):

Titans - 40

Steelers - 38

Jets - 27

Texans - 31

Vikings - 41

Raiders - 25 (worst in the NFL)

Jaguars - 33

The Vikings game was promising, but I'm not feeling secure about our line being set for next year. 

Yeah but they are still professional football teams and the Steelers is never an easy game for us. Good observation.