Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fabian Moreau with torn pectoral muscle at pro-day

Yeah I think guys will stop working out at pro-days. If you kill it at the combine then just do interviews at your pro-day. This is ridiculous. This is like the 3rd injury to a some what high profile draft pick this offseason after the combine. Imagine putting out great tape, killing it at the combine, and then getting injured at a non-mandatory work out right before you're supposed to get drafted.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Why assume it's the low end of the 4-6 months? If it's 6 months, he's not ready until mid September, and would miss all of camp and preseason. If he has a setback, who knows when he'd be ready...

^^^^  This folks   ^^^

There is even the possibility of him being placed on the pre-season PUP at some point.  When finally ready, he might then be behind in development and therefor not likely to be nearly as effective as he could have been.

Everybody on this forum always assume the low end on a timetable, (Luck and his 2-6 weeks that turned out to be the end of the season...) and often it is the other, especially these days in the NFL.

Even if procedures go well, the recovery can vary greatly from person to person.

And a fav of mine.  Quote-

" I am sure things went well but calling surgery a "success" immediately after is like declaring your draft pick a success right after he's chosen."

*** Do not forget, the Cowboys took Jaylon Smith early in the draft becasue of the doctor that performed the surgery, the Cowboys team doctor, said it (surgery) was a success.  More than a year later, Smith still has drop foot from nerve damage and will wear an AFO on the the field.  Just sayin... ***

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I think guys will stop working out at pro-days. If you kill it at the combine then just do interviews at your pro-day. This is ridiculous. This is like the 3rd injury to a some what high profile draft pick this offseason after the combine. Imagine putting out great tape, killing it at the combine, and then getting injured at a non-mandatory work out right before you're supposed to get drafted.

Hope some of them won't in the future. Agree.

For real, the "Pro day" is a wash for the majority of top-rated players who've attended the Combine and completely useless or a formality for others. It's "purpose", like the combine, is to have college prospects meet with NFL organizations, interview with them, and display their tangible traits on the field. But nothing good comes from the Pro Day, just like the wonderlic test!

["Wonderlic" sounds like this Mystical Lolipop Willy Wonka invented that turns your tongue different colors and renders you to ruminate the finer details of life with each lick, dumb. The only thing more asinine is this crazy test. IT SAYS NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL INTELLIGENCE yet it gets used as an evaluation tool, but many NFL officiais know the test SAYS NOTHING about a potential career.]

Understatement of the year

PEYTON "P-Money" MANNING had one of the worst pro day's and I think his football career didn't suffer too much despite it. Speaking of money & the Bottom Line, one of the biggest rewards of a pro-day, like John Ross at combine, is that a prospect can greatly IMPROVE their draft stock = money, by blazing their 40-time (separating themselves from their classmates) or "answering a question", i.e. does "Luck have enough Arm Strength?" then he throws a ball +60 yards in the air going against the wind. -Pssh, such a waste of time for some top guys. What does M. Garrett have to prove/gain from his pro day???

Honestly the pro-day means the most to: players who aren't on a team's radar, did not receive an invite to the combine, or need to display some trait that will get them noticed, drafted, or signed later as an UDFA. That's it! Anything else is superfluous and too much of a formality for me. I think people are starting to realize there are glaring flaws in the Scouting Process, *ESPECIALLY* with Quarterback evaluations. What gets me tripped up is that people think a "40-time" equates = a good football player. ^Check^, Jerry Rice, Larry Fitzgerald 40 times. The overall idea is that a combine, 40 time, and pro day are great to get exposure & higher draft stock = more money$ but this Process is just a game that scouts, agents, and players play to figure out "stock" for a prospect in the draft. But honestly a CB that can COVER receivers and has enough  functional speed -"Polian quote" a la D. King should be drafted higher than a CB who runs 4.3 yet has horrendous technique. What people are missing is that DBs usually don't get burned due to lack of speed; it's lack of technique. Fast corners get burned, see Jason David, and those with proper technique tend to cover receivers. My point is that unless you're making hay and raising your draft stock, = money, sit out and let your tape speak for yourself. I like John Ross' 40 time, but for WRs this year, I think Fred Ross has the best hands in the class and I'd rather have a receiver with Hands than with record-breaking speed.

'When it's 4th and 3, give me the receiver who makes a 1st Down!'