Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maurice Jones-Drew ranks the RB class......

It's 34 players deep....     he has some rather....     interesting viewpoints....     you'll find some names rather low on the list and other names rather high on the list...

To all of it I'd say this......

Don't confuse the ability to PLAY the game,  with the ability to EVALUATE the players who play the game.      Two entirely different skill sets.

But,  don't take my word for it....    Here's his list....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000794476/article/joe-mixon-dalvin-cook-rank-atop-list-of-2017-rb-prospects

17 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Kamara as a "system back" is sort of silly. He's clearly in that top echelon of RBs. He does everything McCaffrey does, but he can also break tackles. I would take him in round 2 of the Colts get that lucky to have him there.

It's funny, I hope the opposite. I hope we're lucky enough to have someone take Kamara before our 2nd pick so another defensive player falls to our 2nd round pick. Really hoping we don't go RB early.

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's funny, I hope the opposite. I hope we're lucky enough to have someone take Kamara before our 2nd pick so another defensive player falls to our 2nd round pick. Really hoping we don't go RB early.

I don't want a RB early, but Kamara in round 2 would be the exception.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I don't want a RB early, but Kamara in round 2 would be the exception.

Fair enough. I think he's a 2nd round guy, so that wouldn't be worth it to me. I think we take an rb in this draft, it's just when that's the question. Probably with a 4th IMO.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I really hope we're the team who steals Joe Mixon in the 3rd or 4th. I'd still be shocked if he goes before that. Like I said teams worry about reputation and etc too much now.

Not going to happen.

CB has said multiple times about how important character and locker room fit are to him when building this team. Not to mention his "people who deserve to be here" comment more recently.

I'm thinking Mixon's name tag has been taken off of CB's board and thrown off of the roof of the facility by now.

5 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Not going to happen.

CB has said multiple times about how important character and locker room fit are to him when building this team. Not to mention his "people who deserve to be here" comment more recently.

I'm thinking Mixon's name tag has been taken off of CB's board and thrown off of the roof of the facility by now.

Signed: Marcus Peters & Tyreek Hill

Dude. If you want a good team QUICK, you have to take advantage of situations like this. We can get 1st round talents in the 3rd and 4th. Who cares as long as they can play at a high level and keep out of trouble. Baring murder, rape, etc. Something horrible, that you cant take back.... I mean I wouldn't care if he was the biggest ___ hole in the world as long as he can ball out.

Mixon was a kid. Young and dumb. And who knows the truth about the Lewis situation.

10 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Dude. If you want a good team QUICK, you have to take advantage of situations like this. We can get 1st round talents in the 3rd and 4th. Who cares as long as they can play at a high level and keep out of trouble. Baring murder, rape, etc. Something horrible, you cant take back.... I mean I wouldn't care if he was the biggest ___ hole in the world as long as he can ball out.

Well I suppose that's where we differ. I don't necessarily want to have him on my team because I find it hard to root for him. I want players on my team that I can be proud to support. Mixon is very good on the field but he's not the type of guy I want playing for my team or in my locker room if I was GM. But that's an argument for a different thread.

CB has said that you have to evaluate individuals differently. Also worth noting CB wasn't the big cheese in KC's back office. We don't know who put Peters and Hill's names on the card, but it's easy to imagine that it may not have been his final decision. 

More recently CB has been saying things that make me think he's going squeaky clean. And to be quite honest, I can't really argue with that, especially when it comes to rebuilding a locker room that has haemorrhaged veteran leaders this offseason so far. 

10 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Dude. If you want a good team QUICK, you have to take advantage of situations like this. We can get 1st round talents in the 3rd and 4th. Who cares as long as they can play at a high level and keep out of trouble. Baring murder, rape, etc. Something horrible, that you cant take back.... I mean I wouldn't care if he was the biggest ___ hole in the world as long as he can ball out.

Mixon was a kid. Young and dumb. And who knows the truth about the Lewis situation.

Kansas City was a Different owner, Different Head Coach.  Remember Ballards words "Everybodies got to be on board with it".  This type of player would have never been signed under Bill Polian, and was never signed under Grigson.  Pagano and Irsay are the keys here.   I'm not against picking up Mixon, but I'm not quite sure the two parties I just listed will have the same sentiment.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I really hope we're the team who steals Joe Mixon in the 3rd or 4th. I'd still be shocked if he goes before that. Like I said teams worry about reputation and etc too much now.

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

There's two sides to this coin.  Yes, you want the Colts to win, but you want them to do it the right way.

The 2006 team had its bad boys, but for the most part it was guys like Peyton Manning, Gary Brackett, Jeff Saturday, and Reggie Wayne that Bill Polian coveted.  Good guys who maybe weren't the best athletes, but they did it the right way.

But there are guys on every winning team that don't do it the right way, and they are such good athletes that as long as the team wins, it's ok.

Think about it this way, would you want to be working elbow-to-elbow at your job with someone that you knew hit a woman for no good reason?

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

There's two sides to this coin.  Yes, you want the Colts to win, but you want them to do it the right way.

The 2006 team had its bad boys, but for the most part it was guys like Peyton Manning, Gary Brackett, Jeff Saturday, and Reggie Wayne that Bill Polian coveted.  Good guys who maybe weren't the best athletes, but they did it the right way.

But there are guys on every winning team that don't do it the right way, and they are such good athletes that as long as the team wins, it's ok.

Think about it this way, would you want to be working elbow-to-elbow at your job with someone that you knew hit a woman for no good reason?

Hitting a woman is wrong. I wouldn't ever do anything like that. I consider that being a ___. But he was young. And young kids do stupid things, and to my knowledge he hasn't done anything since. I just chalk it up as a kid doing something stupid. He was provoked and made a stupid decision that I'm sure he regrets.

And in KY. If a man does something like that. A lot of times a couple other MEN (usually family) will beat the hell out of him and that'll be it.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

Hitting a woman is wrong. I wouldn't ever do anything like that. I consider that being a ___. But he was young. And young kids do stupid things, and to my knowledge he hasn't done anything since. I just chalk it up as a kid doing something stupid. He was provoked and made a stupid decision that I'm sure he regrets

That's fair.  This is America, where we give 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances to anyone with potential.

But hitting a woman, even as a kid, is still a huge red flag.

Remember Nick Harper getting stabbed in the leg by his wife in the playoffs?  As far as I know, he never hit her in retaliation or even self-defense, as Mixon claims.  And he got STABBED.

Nick Harper should be giving speeches in high schools across the country about this. :thmup:

The one thing I will say about Ballard when pertaining to Mixon.  Ballard did not draft anyone in KC.  He did not draft Hill or Peters.  He was someone who helped with the process, but HE did not draft anyone.  Now that he is the sole GM and in that position there is no telling what his beliefs are and who he will look at.  They are not good comparisons in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I used to hang out with Nick Harper years ago when that happened and I'll just say he shouldn't be giving speeches to anybody.  I'll just leave it at that.

Haha, like I said, every winning team has guys that might not do it the right way.  Nick Harper actually came to mind as a bad boy because, who does something so bad that their WIFE STABS THEM???

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Haha, like I said, every winning team has guys that might not do it the right way.  Nick Harper actually came to mind as a bad boy because, who does something so bad that their WIFE STABS THEM???

Well I won't say he treated her well.

4 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Well, in fairness, when you say he's a "steal" in the 3rd round, the implication your making is that he'd be acceptable in the 2nd.  So could you really be shocked? 

Me personally, I go back and forth all the time where he'll go, and what's funny about it is, if I'm honest with myself, it just depends on my mood.  I think he's draftable in the 2nd.  With our 2nd round pick, would I take him?  I guess it depends on who's there, but even if I think he's draftable with our 2nd, I still don't think I'd take him there.  I'd be a lot more comfortable with him in the 3rd or 4th as you say.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's 34 players deep....     he has some rather....     interesting viewpoints....     you'll find some names rather low on the list and other names rather high on the list...

Don't confuse the ability to PLAY the game,  with the ability to EVALUATE the players who play the game.      Two entirely different skill sets.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000794476/article/joe-mixon-dalvin-cook-rank-atop-list-of-2017-rb-prospects

I actually think he's better than you're giving him credit for.  At least with running backs which is the only thing I've seen him really give his analysis on with any regularity.  He's been doing the combine for some time now and I'm sure he's at least learned a handful of things from the scouts and gms that are there.  Not to mention he gets plenty of air time (perhaps face time?) with Mayock.  So I mean, he may not be as good as the guys scouting with NFL franchises, but he's going to be better than your average bear.  How could you not?  

As far as the list goes, I think he's a little low on Gallman.  I'm not high on him but I think he belongs in the system RB category.  He might need to improve blocking - but that's just about every RB coming into the NFL.  He does most other things well even though he doesnt' set himself apart with any individual trait.  He wouldn't do well in our system, but he might do well in a system like Oakland.  I agree with him on Marlon Mack.  I always liked that kid and I've been disappointed seeing others catching on.  He's shot up a couple rounds in the past several weeks.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I like Marlon Mack, but I have some toughness questions in my mind with him.  The fumbles don't help either.

He does run real high, but so did Eric Dickerson so who knows on that issue.

I love Mack. But I doubt he's a complete back. He likes bouncing to the outside and don't know about his pass blocking.

A good strong inside runner would compliment him very well.

If we don't get any of the top 4 backs(mixon,cook,fournette,kamara) I'd be pleased to have Mack.

Not to turn this into a lesson of morals thread, but I don't understand it (Mixon).

When I was "young" I spent a lot of my weekends fighting in taverns or wherever I felt it needed to happen I guess.  And I have been mad at my wife before... really mad but it never ever crossed my mind that I should physically harm her.... by grabbing, throwing or hitting... even with an open fist.  I have also been upset with women (not my wife or girlfriend) that could probably use a little tightening up too, but it wasn't going to be me that did it.  

I would never be able to forgive myself for it and wouldn't expect a second chance.  I was not on the cusp of being drafted, but I still wouldn't expect people to say "he was just a kid".  

Bottom line is I would love to have his talent on our team, but I just can't get passed what he did so no thanks.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What didn't you agree with on his list?

I skimmed through it quickly. I personally would have put Kamara at #4 instead of McCaffrey.The top 3 can be mixed up in any way, just personal choice.

Btw, MJD had Mixon #1 at the combine, BEFORE his pro day.

11 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I love Mack. But I doubt he's a complete back. He likes bouncing to the outside and don't know about his pass blocking.

A good strong inside runner would compliment him very well.

If we don't get any of the top 4 backs(mixon,cook,fournette,kamara) I'd be pleased to have Mack.

I noticed pass blocking issues as well .

I like his list. He's right about Kamara. The guy only ran a 4.65 which isn't good for someone who's supposed to be "electric". 4.65 is pedestrian.

I like that he's high on Hill as I've been watching him more. Underrated and I think he can get better in the pass game. I want the Colts to draft him in the 4th. His ceiling is very high.

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like his list. He's right about Kamara. The guy only ran a 4.65 which isn't good for someone who's supposed to be "electric". 4.65 is pedestrian.

I like that he's high on Hill as I've been watching him more. Underrated and I think he can get better in the pass game. I want the Colts to draft him in the 4th. His ceiling is very high.

FYI It was 4.56. Hell still go high, maybe 2, but I wouldnt think hell go beyond 3. I kind of view him like CJ Prosise a bit

2 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Well I suppose that's where we differ. I don't necessarily want to have him on my team because I find it hard to root for him. I want players on my team that I can be proud to support. Mixon is very good on the field but he's not the type of guy I want playing for my team or in my locker room if I was GM. But that's an argument for a different thread.

CB has said that you have to evaluate individuals differently. Also worth noting CB wasn't the big cheese in KC's back office. We don't know who put Peters and Hill's names on the card, but it's easy to imagine that it may not have been his final decision. 

More recently CB has been saying things that make me think he's going squeaky clean. And to be quite honest, I can't really argue with that, especially when it comes to rebuilding a locker room that has haemorrhaged veteran leaders this offseason so far. 

Great performances on the field (which may result in wins) will very quickly make you, or a GM, forget about any past transgressions.... providing he doesnt have any more of them.

30 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

FYI It was 4.56. Hell still go high, maybe 2, but I wouldnt think hell go beyond 3. I kind of view him like CJ Prosise a bit

Noted. 4.56 is like a standard RB time. But Cook and Mcaffrey ran in the 4.4's and Fournette at 240 ran a 4.5 flat iirc. I don't think Kamara will go as high as people are saying. I have him low 2nd-high 3rd. Size might also be a concern. 6'0" is the new standard at RB (Gurley, Gordon, Elliot, Johnson, Howard all 6'0" or greater) and he's only 5'10" 214. Has some knee injuries as well.

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Noted. 4.56 is like a standard RB time. But Cook and Mcaffrey ran in the 4.4's and Fournette at 240 ran a 4.5 flat iirc. I don't think Kamara will go as high as people are saying. I have him low 2nd-high 3rd. Size might also be a concern. 6'0" is the new standard at RB (Gurley, Gordon, Elliot, Johnson, Howard all 6'0" or greater) and he's only 5'10" 214. Has some knee injuries as well.

I can agree with that - Prosise went in the 3rd as well.  That's the reason I compared the two - not in terms of play style or anything, but in draft stock.  The one thing that makes them similar is that they are high potential guys, but they never had a significant load.  It's one of those weird traits that work both for and against you; your body hasn't had as much of a beating, but you have less experience.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Kamara did NOT run 4.65.     You transposed two numbers.

Tamara ran 4.56.

And he also had the number one vertical for a running back at 39.5  

And he also had the number one broad jump for a RB at 131 inches.      That's 10 feet,  11 inches.

Those two measurements SCREAM that Kamara is explosive and athletic.   

Kamara's 4.56 isn't as fast as anyone thought he'd run,  but the guy PLAYS fast....    all you have to do is watch his tape to see that.       Some guys don't time well.      I don't know if that's the thing with Kamara or if he'll do better at his pro day?      But his 40 would not bother me one bit if I was looking to draft him.    

Not at all.....

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

What didn't you agree with on his list?

I skimmed through it quickly. I personally would have put Kamara at #4 instead of McCaffrey.The top 3 can be mixed up in any way, just personal choice.

Btw, MJD had Mixon #1 at the combine, BEFORE his pro day.

Well.....

I thought Kamara and Foreman were shockingly low at 7 and 14....

I thought Hill, Williams and Jones were shockingly high at 5, 6 and 9.

And I like those three,  but not THAT much......

The rest would be more quibbling.....        but these five were pretty stunning to me.     I've not seen these kind of rankings by any other source.....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kamara did NOT run 4.65.     You transposed two numbers.

Tamara ran 4.56.

And he also had the number one vertical for a running back at 39.5  

And he also had the number one broad jump for a RB at 131 inches.      That's 10 feet,  11 inches.

Those two measurements SCREAM that Kamara is explosive and athletic.   

Kamara's 4.56 isn't as fast as anyone thought he'd run,  but the guy PLAYS fast....    all you have to do is watch his tape to see that.       Some guys don't time well.      I don't know if that's the thing with Kamara or if he'll do better at his pro day?      But his 40 would not bother me one bit if I was looking to draft him.    

Not at all.....

I agree on Kamara, he looks faster on video than 4.56

I Guess some of the 40 times depend some on technique and who is trainning them for the 40.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Tamara ran 4.56.

Tamara sounds like a decent athlete...lmao

Seriously though, Kamara does play faster than his 40 would indicate. I believe Hunt is in the same camp. He's definitely no burner, but I didn't expect a 4.6 from him.

3 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Aaron Jones is a bad mutha (shut yo mouth)... 

I know he didn't play top-notch competition, but he's got more moves than Elmo... 

I still need to watch more of his tape. I've seen some highlight clips where he was stiff-arming faces off..

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Kansas City was a Different owner, Different Head Coach.  Remember Ballards words "Everybodies got to be on board with it".  This type of player would have never been signed under Bill Polian, and was never signed under Grigson.  Pagano and Irsay are the keys here.   I'm not against picking up Mixon, but I'm not quite sure the two parties I just listed will have the same sentiment.

Polian signed guys like Tito Wooten (I think that was his name), Shawn King (the DE not Shaun King the QB) and Andre Royal, all guys who were on their 2nd chances in the NFL.  He signed Montae Reagor as a FA even though he got turned himself in on an outstanding warrant when the team traveled to Denver for a game.

So Polian was not against signing guys with issues.  It all depended on if he thought they were done with their issues.