Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What does your GUT tell you for rounds 1-3?

On 3/24/2017 at 2:12 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

This is just my opinion, but I honestly think Grigson had finally figured out how to draft in his final year as GM. That draft seemed legit and not a fluke. Something people may not agree with (and I will explain), is that I think Grigson got very lucky with TY Hilton, and that pick may of extended him an extra year. We know he likes speed guys (Hilton, Dorsett, Green). Since Hilton was the first of the three, and such a big hit, Grigson got it in his mind that Dorsett and Green would be equal to Hilton, and it didn't work out so far. The last draft he seemed to figure it out though, and it's a bit of a shame we released him right when he started to learn how to draft as a GM.

You mention green as one of his misses,  yet say he figured it out last year.  Green was drafted last year

Just now, jvan1973 said:

You mention green as one of his misses,  yet say he figured it out last year.  Green was drafted last year

I realize that, but I think he was a Pagano crush, and Grigson did him a favor to try and get along after Irsay chastisted both of them.

I would love Jarrad Davis in the 2nd, but he is moving up boards now. I just saw him in the first round on one of CBS Sportsline expert's draft. Of course, last year when the season was over, Clark was being mocked as a 1st rounder, which I understand since he has all the athletic talent you could ever want, he was just very raw coming out of Texas Tech, where they don't go into stances. My point, certain players will drop, no doubt about it. Regardless my gut says:

1st: Foster or Reddick

2nd Baker or Jackson

3rd King (Iowa) or Lawson

Lawson is one of those players because of his physical problems and not being able to keep on the field could drop. I have seen him anywhere from late first to late third. I believe the smart thing to do is go CB in the 2nd and 3rd because of the depth in this draft, which is not likely to repeat for a bit, but can you imagine Davis dropping to the second and having Foster or Reddick paired with Davis for the next 10 years. If Davis did drop into the 2nd, I would almost be tempted to trade up for him, and use those 4th rounders on DB. Still my gut says.

After committing some money to Sheard and Simon, I don't think he'll pick a pass rusher at 15. 

He'll either pick ILB Foster or CB Humphrey at 15.

Then either ILB Jarrad Davis or one of the CBs like Chud Awuzie at 40.

Then find the pass rushers.

One more quick note. I think the fact Ballard stayed away from OL in FA may mean he believes Haeg and Clark are going to continuing developing, hopefully into a very good RG and RT. They made really good strides at the end of the year, and OL lineman are not equipped to come in the first year and help in general. Kelly was an exception, and was who I wanted in the 1st. He was from Alabama, ran a Pro Style offense, and clearly was ready to step up into a plug and play role. Very few OL, even high first round tackles have proved they are ready over the last few years. At best they may be ready to play guard. Think about all OL's who have been drafted high over the last few years who have been busts. Kalil, Joekel, Robinson, DJ Fluker, and the list goes on! Thus Ballard may be hoping for continued improvement in Clark and Haeg to lock that side of the OL down. I would prefer to go defense so they can come in, compete, and contribute immediately. Foster or Reddick would be able to imo, Lamp whether you like him as a prospect or not is a crap shoot based on what we have been seeing thanks to the spread, and lack of offensive line coaching in college football.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I realize that, but I think he was a Pagano crush, and Grigson did him a favor to try and get along after Irsay chastisted both of them.

Agreed.  That is most likely.  There is no way...none...that Grigson drafts Green...a DB... without Pagano....a DB coach... liking the pick.  For all we know, Grigson didn't care for Green that much but drafted him for Pagano in the spirit of cooperation they just announced a month before..

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You have absolutely no way of confirming that.   Any of that in fact

38 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You have absolutely no way of confirming that.   Any of that in fact

and you have no way of saying I'm wrong. I'm merely giving my opinion, and what would seem to make sense based on Pagano's speciality and the fact that Grigson had seemed to get better the last two drafts. You got something better, spit it out. Otherwise, it's a forum board, where a lot of stuff isn't confirmed. Like trying to put together pieces of a puzzle with this team.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Agreed.  That is most likely.  There is no way...none...that Grigson drafts Green...a DB... without Pagano....a DB coach... liking the pick.  For all we know, Grigson didn't care for Green that much but drafted him for Pagano in the spirit of cooperation they just announced a month before..

Right, because Grigsons track record showed a GM who never tried to draft the "unconventional" player or "over think" the whole process...

35 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Right, because Grigsons track record showed a GM who never tried to draft the "unconventional" player or "over think" the whole process...

Yes, I am right.  Pagano had input into drafting Green.  Why wouldn't anybody believe that?

They're in the same room when the player is selected. 

They're in the same room.  Pags is a DB coach, and says he doesn't like Green.  But big bad Grigson drafts him anyway?  How dense can people be?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Yes, I am right.  Pagano had input into drafting Green.  Why wouldn't anybody believe that?

They're in the same room when the player is selected. 

They're in the same room.  Pags is a DB coach, and says he doesn't like Green.  But big bad Grigson drafts him anyway?  How dense can people be?

The point is everyone is always trying to blame that terrible pick on just Pagano when both are at fault. How dense can you be?