Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are Moncreif's days in Indy numbered?

LJpalmbeacher2

10 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

In my case, many sources(including Ian Rapport) said we were in the top 2 running to get Jeffery.

That's not what Rapaport's report said. He said the Colts and Eagles were interested. He didn't say anyone was a finalist.

You don't bring in Jeffery if you have 100% confidence in Moncrief being a top receiver.

We didn't bring in Jeffery. 

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I just don't see why he would go hard after Jeffery(a big bodied receiver) if he thought Moncrief could fill that role. Moncrief has been a decent number 2. 

Just because someone said the Colts were interested doesn't mean the Colts went hard after him. He got a moderate, one year contract. The Colts easily could have done better than what he got. I tend to think the Colts talked to his agent, and that's it.

It's true that Jeffery is better than Moncrief, at least based on what they've done so far. But if you're intent on upgrading from Moncrief, you don't go from Alshon Jeffery to Kamar Aiken.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Look to my last post. I don't "know." I just don't see why he would go hard after Jeffery(a big bodied receiver) if he thought Moncrief could fill that role. Moncrief has been a decent number 2. I think he will be solid. Hopefully have a 900-1100 yard season. But he isn't a "star." Not yet anyways. I'm sure Pagano and Chud have talked to Ballard about the offense. And possibly why he went after Jeffery. None of us will know anything for a fact until it happens or we hear it from Ballard himself, but we can sure take hints and use the facts to make a very educated guess. 

I believe you are very confused about where the facts are pointing. If we were to take any sort of leap here, the most logical conclusion would tie the Aiken signing to Phillip Dorsett. If he does not improve this year then we very well could move him in 2018 for a mid-to-late (possibly conditional) draft pick. 

I have a very hard time believing that Ballard has an issue with Moncrief. It wouldn't make any sense at all. 

I feel very comfortable that we will do anything "reasonable" to keep Moncrief on the Colts roster, and for the foreseeable future. It is always possible that Moncrief's agent will ask more than his market value, but at this time it would be entirely too premature to assume so. 

We have no idea about any behind-the-door negotiations, because we are not privy to that information.

One thing is very clear to me, and that is; we brought Aiken in to be an "additional' big target for Luck, and he will be competing against Dorsett for playing time. If Dorsett allows an UDFA to steal reps from him then I can see us dealing him. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

That's not what Rapaport's report said. He said the Colts and Eagles were interested. He didn't say anyone was a finalist.

We didn't bring in Jeffery. 

Just because someone said the Colts were interested doesn't mean the Colts went hard after him. He got a moderate, one year contract. The Colts easily could have done better than what he got. I tend to think the Colts talked to his agent, and that's it.

It's true that Jeffery is better than Moncrief, at least based on what they've done so far. But if you're intent on upgrading from Moncrief, you don't go from Alshon Jeffery to Kamar Aiken.

Well that's like saying we lost out on Poe. So we settle for Woods. Sometimes you have to settle for a lesser talent if the talent is not there or the player does not want to come. 

You just did the same thing as I did. You said you tend to THINK we just talked to his agent. That's an opinion and exactly what I am putting out there. I think Moncrief will do fine. But don't be surprised if Ballard moves on next year regardless of how he plays. If he plays subpar, than I would expect that some other team with a lot of money will throw more money than we are willing to give him for his potential. If he plays average/above average than he will price himself way out of our price range IMO. I Unless he has a 1300 yard plus season, and 10+ TD's, then I think Ballard may change his mind. Lol

4 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Well that's like saying we lost out on Poe. So we settle for Woods. Sometimes you have to settle for a lesser talent if the talent is not there or the player does not want to come. 

It's actually quite different. We know for a fact that the Colts were very interested in Poe, even hosting him for a visit.

You just did the same thing as I did. You said you tend to THINK we just talked to his agent. That's an opinion and exactly what I am putting out there.

Not at all. You're taking one statement from a reporter and turning it into far more than it's known to be. You're stating as fact that the Colts 'went hard after Jeffery' simply because Rapaport said they were interested. Not only was that interest not confirmed by anyone, it's being blown out of proportion. You're talking as if the Colts offered him a contract, and we don't know that at all. In fact, based on their pattern this offseason, it's probably more likely that they did NOT make him an offer (but that's just my opinion).

Just because this is a message board and we get to speculate and talk about what we think doesn't mean we have to suspend reality while we do so.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's actually quite different. We know for a fact that the Colts were very interested in Poe, even hosting him for a visit.

Not at all. You're taking one statement from a reporter and turning it into far more than it's known to be. You're stating as fact that the Colts 'went hard after Jeffery' simply because Rapaport said they were interested. Not only was that interest not confirmed by anyone, it's being blown out of proportion. You're talking as if the Colts offered him a contract, and we don't know that at all. In fact, based on their pattern this offseason, it's probably more likely that they did NOT make him an offer (but that's just my opinion).

Just because this is a message board and we get to speculate and talk about what we think doesn't mean we have to suspend reality while we do so.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere,  but if it has,  then I haven't seen it.

All this talk 3 weeks ago about how hard we went after Jeffrey, and I thought at the time it was reported that he got a one-year,  14-million dollar deal from the Eagles.

Turns out,    not so much.

Philly signed Jeffrey to a one-year,  9.5 Million dollar deal.    Yup, less than 10 Million.

So,  we could have had Jeffrey for one year and 10 Mill,  and we passed.    Hmmmm?     Makes me wonder how hard we went after him in the first place....

Here's the Spotrac contract page for Jeffrey.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/alshon-jeffery-9855/

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I mean if you think I'm suspending reality. Okay. That's your opinion. I truly believe Moncrief will do fine. I've said that in every post. I like him. I have a jersey of his. But I just think that Ballard tries to improve every position out there. Actually if you look at many reports that link Ashlon jeffery to the Colts, it says Colts are making a strong push to sign Ashlon Jeffery. I didn't just completely blow things out of proportion. Other posters on here have agreed with Moncrief and his status with the Colts from the coaching and management position. Also, if he was " just interested" in Jeffery that shows to me he wants another play making receiver other than Hilton. Hilton could play slot, but he has mainly stayed outside his whole career. If you have Hilton, Jeffery, and Moncrief, who would play the slot? 

5 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I mean if you think I'm suspending reality. Okay. That's your opinion. I truly believe Moncrief will do fine. I've said that in every post. I like him. I have a jersey of his. But I just think that Ballard tries to improve every position out there. Actually if you look at many reports that link Ashlon jeffery to the Colts, it says Colts are making a strong push to sign Ashlon Jeffery. I didn't just completely blow things out of proportion. Other posters on here have agreed with Moncrief and his status with the Colts from the coaching and management position. Also, if he was " just interested" in Jeffery that shows to me he wants another play making receiver other than Hilton. Hilton could play slot, but he has mainly stayed outside his whole career. If you have Hilton, Jeffery, and Moncrief, who would play the slot? 

Ballard trying to improve every position does not mean his dissatisfied with Moncrief, which is the theme of this thread. 

As it stands, the Colts did NOT sign Jeffery, no matter how interested they might have been. Given that Jeffery got less than he was projected to get (both years and average), and given that the Colts weren't exactly throwing around big money this offseason, it's hard to imagine that they made a strong push for Jeffery (and we should note that all those "reports" about them doing so were regurgitations of Rapaport's tweet). Maybe they did, but if they wanted him, they could have had him, based on the contract he wound up signing.

So now, here the Colts have basically the same receiver corps they had last season, plus Aiken (pending the draft). The idea that Moncrief is on unsure ground because they added Aiken just makes no sense.

And as I said before, the idea that Ballard wanted to add another bigger receiver doesn't undermine Moncrief at all, as long as he stays healthy. 

I also don't know why we're ignoring the fact that Hilton has played plenty of slot in his five years. 

All I'm saying is there's a major leap in logic here. "The Colts were interested in Alshon Jeffery, and now they signed Kamar Aiken. That must mean they don't like Moncrief anymore!" I'm missing the connection.

This guy is a good player. Seems level headed and good attitude. He won't require a ton of money even if he has a great year but hopefully one of many to come for the Colts. Our whole receiving core had problems with drops. If it persists with Moncrief and Dorsett both will probably be shown the door along with Chud and his offense.

53 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Why is this thread still going?

People must be bored.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ain't that the truth. 160 +  comments about an issue that is a none issue.

I wouldn't say it's a non-issue, Holder interviewed Ballard today, and it doesn't sound to me like Dorsett's going to be the only Colts WR competing for snaps this year.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I wouldn't say it's a non-issue, Holder interviewed Ballard today, and it doesn't sound to me like Dorsett's going to be the only Colts WR competing for snaps this year.

Even if Aiken becomes a starter Moncrief is not on his way out the door. He is still under contract. It's called depth.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Ballard trying to improve every position does not mean his dissatisfied with Moncrief, which is the theme of this thread. 

As it stands, the Colts did NOT sign Jeffery, no matter how interested they might have been. Given that Jeffery got less than he was projected to get (both years and average), and given that the Colts weren't exactly throwing around big money this offseason, it's hard to imagine that they made a strong push for Jeffery (and we should note that all those "reports" about them doing so were regurgitations of Rapaport's tweet). Maybe they did, but if they wanted him, they could have had him, based on the contract he wound up signing.

So now, here the Colts have basically the same receiver corps they had last season, plus Aiken (pending the draft). The idea that Moncrief is on unsure ground because they added Aiken just makes no sense.

And as I said before, the idea that Ballard wanted to add another bigger receiver doesn't undermine Moncrief at all, as long as he stays healthy. 

I also don't know why we're ignoring the fact that Hilton has played plenty of slot in his five years. 

All I'm saying is there's a major leap in logic here. "The Colts were interested in Alshon Jeffery, and now they signed Kamar Aiken. That must mean they don't like Moncrief anymore!" I'm missing the connection.

I was referring to Ballard not thinking he was a star. Obviously Aiken isn't taking his spot. I think Aiken will fight for the numbe 3 spot and probably earn it over Dorsett. I personally just believe that management doesn't regard Moncrief as a star player for this team. Otherwise I don't see them going after Jeffery. My personal opinion. I said I like Moncrief and think he is a good number 2. I just don't think management views him as a priority unless he has a great year. Which might price himsefnout of or range. And we could possibly get Jeffery(a top receiver if healthy) next year for a little larger of a price. You guys blew it way out of proportion. Thanks for the debate though! 

Just now, Colts1324 said:

I was referring to Ballard not thinking he was a star. Obviously Aiken isn't taking his spot. I think Aiken will fight for the numbe 3 spot and probably earn it over Dorsett. I personally just believe that management doesn't regard Moncrief as a star player for this team. Otherwise I don't see them going after Jeffery. My personal opinion. I said I like Moncrief and think he is a good number 2. I just don't think management views him as a priority unless he has a great year. Which might price himsefnout of or range. And we could possibly get Jeffery(a top receiver if healthy) next year for a little larger of a price. You guys blew it way out of proportion. Thanks for the debate though! 

Didn't mean to blow your comments out of proportion. I think maybe my impression of your stance is flavored by other comments in this thread.

We'll see what Ballard and the rest of the staff think about Moncrief in time.

I wasn't interested in adding Aiken, but I do like that they've added competition, and I hope it brings out the best in everyone in the WR room. But I think Moncrief is the most physically gifted receiver on our roster, and if he can stay on the field and continue to put all of his tools together, we might have something special on our hands.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Didn't mean to blow your comments out of proportion. I think maybe my impression of your stance is flavored by other comments in this thread.

We'll see what Ballard and the rest of the staff think about Moncrief in time.

I wasn't interested in adding Aiken, but I do like that they've added competition, and I hope it brings out the best in everyone in the WR room. But I think Moncrief is the most physically gifted receiver on our roster, and if he can stay on the field and continue to put all of his tools together, we might have something special on our hands.

I think it's obvious he is the most physically gifted receiver when it comes to his athleticism and his body style. He still catches with his body and disappears. He has the potential. I hope he reaches it and I'm wrong about Ballard not considering him a key piece for this franchise. 

After all, I don't want to have to stop wearing my jersey of his!  haha 

On March 23, 2017 at 1:13 AM, crazycolt1 said:

It's kind of hard for Moncrief to have a breakout season when TY is targeted more than any WR in the league and leads the league in yardage. Till Luck starts getting more protection and quits force feeding Hilton he will not have what you may call a breakout season.

With that said what you said about his ability in the red zone IMO he is not going anywhere.

Uh huh. When Moncrief has been targeted, he usually catches the ball & moves the chains.

On March 23, 2017 at 6:55 AM, theanarchist said:

I think its pretty far fetched to think that Moncrief's days are numbered. I think Ballard wants to increase the talent level at the position and it has nothing to do with Moncrief.

Thank you TAC for saying what I was actually thinking as I thumbed thru this thread. 

On March 23, 2017 at 7:16 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Ballard > Grigson

Bag of Potatoes > Grigson 

I know it's not nice to kick a man when he's down....Meaning unemployed as a GM, but darn it, that was funny. I know; SW1 is gonna burn in hades. LOL! 

On March 23, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll tell you my 5 picks. Luck in 2012, Rhodes in 2013, Kelvin Benjamin in 2014, Landon Collins in 2015, and Ryan Kelly in 2016. You are correct that I wouldn't of taken TY Hilton. I would of taken Moncrief and Lockett though, so our WR corps would have been solid still. I don't use hindsight my friend, I will tell you everything before it happens, and either take the blame If I'm wrong or relish in my success if I'm right. :) 

The funny thing is most people say that people who pick in mocks are armchair GM's, yet they wouldn't dare want to be the GM themselves if given the chance. I would love to be in that position, bringing in players in FA for us and scouting players in the draft. What could be better than being in charge of making your favorite football team a SB champion? It should be every fan's dream.

I admire your candor here Jared. You probably would be solid in a front office capacity since you are good at judging athletic talent. I catch your drift though. Most fans don't have the brass ones to pull the draft or FA trigger when both the stakes & money become real & not hypothetical anymore. 

I know what I suck at, but I also can see what my friends excel at. You'd put the work in, roll up your sleeves, & become a well respected one because you wouldn't think you had all the answers or act like you had already arrived--The reason why Grigson crashed & burned in my estimation. 

5 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think it's obvious he is the most physically gifted receiver when it comes to his athleticism and his body style. He still catches with his body and disappears. He has the potential. I hope he reaches it and I'm wrong about Ballard not considering him a key piece for this franchise. 

After all, I don't want to have to stop wearing my jersey of his!  haha 

My biggest criticism of him when he came out and as a rookie was his body catching. He has this great frame and catch radius -- it rivals Julio Jones, based on the numbers -- but he didn't use it well, especially against smaller defenders. I think he's come a long way in two years, and he has some extension catches over defenders that make me think he gets it. He still has work to do, but I think he's gotten much better.

As for body catches, I notice he does it more in traffic. He can snatch the ball out of the air, and does at times, but in the end zone or across the middle, he uses his body. It's not my favorite technique, but a certain HOF receiver preaches it like gospel: Michael Irvin.

15 hours ago, Superman said:

My biggest criticism of him when he came out and as a rookie was his body catching. He has this great frame and catch radius -- it rivals Julio Jones, based on the numbers -- but he didn't use it well, especially against smaller defenders. I think he's come a long way in two years, and he has some extension catches over defenders that make me think he gets it. He still has work to do, but I think he's gotten much better.

As for body catches, I notice he does it more in traffic. He can snatch the ball out of the air, and does at times, but in the end zone or across the middle, he uses his body. It's not my favorite technique, but a certain HOF receiver preaches it like gospel: Michael Irvin.

That was what I worried about with him as well. Last year in the games he played, he caught some out routes and used his hands nicely on the sideline. But over the middle he jumps high in the air and used his body when he doesn't need to. If he continues to do that, a hit by a hard-hitting safety like Thomas, Chancellor, or Ward will not end up good. Part of the reason he hasn't excelled, as well as our other receivers(even Hilton could have better stats), is that we don't throw very many slants or smoke screens. I think with his big frame and his speed, like Julio Jones, he could turn some of those slants or screens into huge gains. I'm confident in our receiving core especially with a solid addition like Aiken. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 10:29 PM, BlueShoe said:

Moncrief isn't going anywhere.

Ballard wants to keep our own, and Donte fits us too well. 

Aiken is on a one year deal so it's likely he will only be here a year. 

Yeah. Unless he beats out moncrief for the number 2 job lol