Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ted Monachino - Defensive Changes

AKB

Yeah good interview. He kind of cleared up a two rumors anyway..

Butler will be playing safety, only going back to the slot if needed. (That means Ballard is/will be actively looking for a slot CB.

He is definitely looking at a hybrid role for Geathers in terms of interchanging between SS and Will LB. Good news I think.

Seems to be working very closely with Ballard with regards to molding the defense.

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

Great Interview. Ted inherited a very poor LB corps and I am sure he had a hand in the signing recently. He is one year better in his knowledge and understanding of team philosophy 

I hope so. I feel like Ballard will have a good relationship with the coaches. And thus the coaches being able to voice their opinions about personnel a little more freely. 

I'm really excited to see what we do to apply some pressure. 

1 minute ago, Colt Overseas said:

Butler will be playing safety, only going back to the slot if needed. (That means Ballard is/will be actively looking for a slot CB.

He is definitely looking at a hybrid role for Geathers in terms of interchanging between SS and Will LB. Good news I think.

Seems to be working very closely with Ballard with regards to molding the defense.

Yeah i was excited that he touched on those things and did so in such a clear, concise way. 

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

Yeah i was excited that he touched on those things and did so in such a clear, concise way. 

Me too, I think they will have positive impacts as well. I though Bulter and Geathers were our best playmakers on D last year, and I think Ted will be looking to put them in positions when they can continue to make plays. 

43 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Good interview, and to my liking he seems to agree with what most here have been saying about our defense this offseason. 

Wouldn't want you guys to miss the sound bit.

http://www.colts.com/videos/audio/3-22-Ted-Monachino---Defensive-Changes-Audio/301208b6-92b8-4011-b1a8-9a1f71f720d7?sf64943884=1

Thanks Austinn. Just what i wanted to hear.
 He has a lot of new pieces to learn all about and build this years defense with.
 Really just getting started with our D build. Some more nice pieces coming soon!!  :thmup:

54 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I hope so. I feel like Ballard will have a good relationship with the coaches. And thus the coaches being able to voice their opinions about personnel a little more freely. 

I'm really excited to see what we do to apply some pressure. 

In another audio clip, Monachino talks about the good relationship he has with Ballard

24 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

He talked about the new guys rushing the QB.  That coupled with Kiper now picking us to take Foster instead of Tak makes me wonder if the thinking is we don't go edge rusher in the 1st round.  

I don't think we necessarily have to go edge if the best talent at 15 is ILB. Both of those were equal needs before the offseason started.

Now that we have all but completely revamped the OLB position, ILB might actually be the bigger need. 

Think back to the Lions game. Running backs in space have been eating us alive. I think if sheard can produce a 10 sack season, with Simon getting 4-6 and our rotational guys picking up some slack we will be fine without a Rd 1 Edge. 

Now that doesn't mean we won't go edge in 2 or 3, however, I think getting a leader and 3-down ILB is essential to fixing this defense.

23 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I don't think we necessarily have to go edge if the best talent at 15 is ILB. Both of those were equal needs before the offseason started.

Now that we have all but completely revamped the OLB position, ILB might actually be the bigger need. 

Think back to the Lions game. Running backs in space have been eating us alive. I think if sheard can produce a 10 sack season, with Simon getting 4-6 and our rotational guys picking up some slack we will be fine without a Rd 1 Edge. 

Now that doesn't mean we won't go edge in 2 or 3, however, I think getting a leader and 3-down ILB is essential to fixing this defense.

According to Football Outsiders defensive efficiency ratings, Colts were the 2nd worst team in the NFL at covering RBs in the passing game.

17 minutes ago, Finball said:

According to Football Outsiders defensive efficiency ratings, Colts were the 2nd worst team in the NFL at covering RBs in the passing game.

we learned that just by watching the lions march down the field the first game of the year

21 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Which team was worse?

And where were we ranked at covering TE's?

Saints.

31st there too (Browns were 32nd). Also

29th in covering #1 WR.

9th in covering #2 WR.

12 th in covering other WRs.

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Right.  We still pick up one, but just not at 15.  I am torn between that but  if we did that it probably means Ballard wasn't crazy about the 1st round ERs.

Now that it's the non homer time of year where everyone sticks up for anything Colts we can clearly say our LB core was absolute trash. Like several levels below bad.

I know I hated Monachino last year, but he clearly had nothing to work with. The level below what we had was gathering a group of us to play lb last year.

5 hours ago, IinD said:

Now that it's the non homer time of year where everyone sticks up for anything Colts 

Partially that and partially the fact people are examining this roster, looking at the job Ballard has in front of him and are finally realizing just how bad this roster is.  One offseason - eight free agents, an entire draft class - even if successful, will be just a dent in what needs to be done to become a true contender.

3 hours ago, #12. said:

Partially that and partially the fact people are examining this roster, looking at the job Ballard has in front of him and are finally realizing just how bad this roster is.  One offseason - eight free agents, an entire draft class - even if successful, will be just a dent in what needs to be done to become a true contender.

Amazing that a team with such a roster was able to go 8-8.  Not being sarcastic...seriously.

On 3/22/2017 at 2:14 PM, Colt Overseas said:

I really liked Frankie Williams at slot CB last year in preseason. He showed quick feet and quick recognition. I think that kid makes the 53 this year. 

On 3/22/2017 at 6:58 PM, Finball said:

No surprise there. I expect TE coverage across the middle was near the bottom too. Losing Freeman hurt. DQJ and Morrison were horrible.