Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rueben Foster off the draft board of team with top 15 pick

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I was not arguing against any of your feelings on Foster, I was only commenting on the statement that knowing the risk makes it more of a risk.

I didn't take your comment as argumentative. Certainly that was not my intent. Just a difference of opinion.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm torn. I have two issues with Reddick.

1) Lack of big time competition. Admittedly, he did well in 2015 and 2016 against Penn State, but that's kind of it. Playing in the American conference is a lot different from any Power 5, especially compared to Foster's SEC schedule and big bowl games. 

2) Position switch to ILB. The geometry is different, the assignments are different... that's going to be a challenge, and it's one more variable to be concerned with.

Both of those issues are addressed by his Senior Bowl performance, but I think it's one thing to do well for a weekend against collegiate competition, and another to adjust to the NFL. 

I definitely like him. I just don't know where to put him. I had him as a second round guy (almost mocked him to us at #46), then he blew up at the Combine and everyone is putting him in the top 20, or higher. It would be hard to complain about him at #15, but I feel like he'd be overdrafted on the basis of a great Combine. I'm not sure his small school tape and collegiate career indicate a top 15 standing.

Khalil Mack? I kid I kid...he blew up Notre Dame too. He was unblockable. I'm not going to sit here and say he is better prospect than Foster because Foster has the tape and the pedigree...but he was very impressive. He can run sideline to sideline....he can blitz...he looked comfortable in space playing zone and dropping. I do think there could be issues with bigger OL if we played him outside all the time...but we all know guys like Robert Mathis and Elvis Dummervil gave OL fits for years too. I'm just excited either way...I think Reddicks upside because of his ability to rush the passer gets my juices going. I feel like he could get after the qb from any spot on the field or read the play and make a TFL. I just know that teams keyed on this guy...said we have to take him out of the play...and he still destroyed them. I know Foster played a different position but he had a lot of help on that defense. I just think Reddick has heart..and his play against Penn State and Notre Dame and the senior bowl shows he can play with anyone....but I understand your concerns...the what is he question frightens everyone after the Werner debacle.

My honest opinion is he is a WIL that can play all 3 downs but what you have him doing (rushing/dropping) is up to you....i just want him in the backfield creating havoc and I think he identifies plays and does that from anywhere on the field.

I hear what you said about him. I just wanted him from the start. I thought we could get him in the 2nd but then the Senior Bowl happened and I got nervous lol....and then the combine and now I know...if we want him...it'll have to be rd 1. I'm fine with that...and I'm fine with the others you mentioned....but I hate that guys get hot and make a big leap...but to me what that is something that scouts have known all along...just these so called experts are just now catching up.

Yes, let's. Can I see some evidence that he can tackle, at all? I don't like his lack of physicality, it's a big turn off for me. He's great when the ball is in the air.

I like Conley almost as much as Lattimore. He's much more physical, just not as good when the ball is in the air.

Yep....I can't stand corners that can't tackle. Teams like NE kill us with that.....you get all these run after the catch guys and they just eat you up...making guys miss and put pressure on the safeties to come over and make a play. Bill Bellichek would eat up a corner that can't tackle. He finds that one weakness and then exploits it for 4 quarters.

I don't think I'd take Conley at #15. Depends on the board, but I don't see him being one of my top five when we're on the clock.

I'm still trying to talk myself into Taco Charlton at #15, assuming Barnett is gone.

And I'm hoping Solomon Thomas tells everyone ahead of us that he'll sit out the season and re-enter the draft because he only wants to play for the Colts... but I dream.

I'm also preparing for Ballard to break my heart and draft Dalvin Cook.

I was with you on all that there Supe...except the Taco thing made me throw up in my mouth. I just can't get excited about him.

I'm hoping Foster, Reddick, Barnett is there at 15...please!!!!! I have a lot of corners bunched up...but they are all in my 25-40 range so unless its a top one I'm fine waiting til rd 2.

Thomas would be ridiculous....he won't make it past SF or Chicago though....but dream we can.

LOL. I'm telling you guys. All this is actually good aside from the injuries. We need to take advantage of whats happening here. Tim Williams could fall to the 2nd, Jourdan Lewis could fall to the 3rd, Mixon to the 3rd or maybe 4th, now whatever's up with Foster. I'm not worried. He's the best ILB prospect since Kuechly, and he has the potential to be as good as Kuechly. I don't care if he has a bad attitude as long as he can play at a high level LOL. We have some opportunities here. Make some magic happen. Trade back to the 20's, pick up an extra 2nd and we can really make something happen. Most teams are gonna be scared to death to take Lewis or Mixon....two 1st-early 2nd round talents btw. LOL. This is good.

Whats up with the Barnett love??? I don't see him having the big time sack numbers in the NFL like some of the other prospects. I mean I could very easily be wrong. I just see him as an all around, hustle player, who'll play well against the run, and put up 7-8 sacks. We need a 15 sack a year freak. Charlton, McKinley, Williams. I like Harris too. Just not like those 3. And like I said above. Maybe Williams falls to the 2nd now. How great would McKinley in the 1st and Williams in the 2nd be? Assuming those 2 are going to be what I think they will be....We'd have the most dominant pass rush in the NFL for years.

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

LOL. I'm telling you guys. All this is actually good aside from the injuries. We need to take advantage of whats happening here. Tim Williams could fall to the 2nd, Jourdan Lewis could fall to the 3rd, Mixon to the 3rd or maybe 4th, now whatever's up with Foster. I'm not worried. He's the best ILB prospect since Kuechly, and he has the potential to be as good as Kuechly. I don't care if he has a bad attitude as long as he can play at a high level LOL. We have some opportunities here. Make some magic happen. Trade back to the 20's, pick up an extra 2nd and we can really make something happen. Most teams are gonna be scared to death to take Lewis or Mixon....two 1st-early 2nd round talents btw. LOL. This is good.

Give me Reddick..Defensive rookie of year and pro bowl yr 1 bank it..

Just now, COLTS449 said:

ILB or OLB??? Your opinion?

I'd play him at both and he'll get you sacks from both and ints at ilb and safety..Our defense might be nasty butt heck next yr...Give the offense an elite back we are an14-2 team with our schedule. ..

11 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I'd play him at both and he'll get you sacks from both and ints at ilb and safety..Our defense might be nasty butt heck next yr...Give the offense an elite back we are an14-2 team with our schedule. ..

Safety?

6 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Safety?

Runs a 4.6 40 and can cover tight ends like Gronk in certain situations...Not to mention blitzing him as in box safety or ilb..He could easily get 12+ sacks and a few ints for more icing on the cake...

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Runs a 4.6 40 and can cover tight ends like Gronk and certain situations...Not to mention blitzing him a in box safety or ilb..He could easily get 12+ sacks and a few ints for more icing on the cake...

He's no safety. I'm old school, but not many people will agree with you on this one. Reddick is an ILB or an EDGE rusher ala Jamie Collins. Personally I think he could be great at either ILB or OLB, but IMO. He's an ILB with us. I like traditional positions. Like I said. I'm old school LOL.

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

He's no safety. I'm old school, but not many people will agree with you on this one. Reddick is an ILB or an EDGE rusher ala Jamie Collins. Personally I think he could be great at either ILB or OLB, but IMO. He's an ILB with us. I like traditional positions. Like I said. I'm old school LOL.

In the box safety to blitz in running situations with Morrison and Spence..Man we are gonna be young fast and nasty on both sides..I was worried before Ballard but i c his genius already...He is am nfl version of theo epstein..And all these guys we r signing right now will be off the books by time draft talent is ready to sign next contract...I love how he is adding young depth to combine with draft...Id we can get walden on a 1 yr deal for like 3 mill to help the young guys and be a situational player and vet leader id be all for that move as well..Need a few bets to keep the pups in check..

It sounds like from the article and the posts here that Jarrad Davis is the safest pick at ILB.  If we're not sold on Foster or Reddick (or they're gone) I'd trade down and take Davis. Or take Raekwon McMillan round 2 who is underrated.

But taking any ILB round 1, you'd have to question how you feel about the CBs. What if Humphrey is still on the board? How high do you take Quincy Wilson?

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

In the box safety to blitz in running situations with Morrison and Spence..Man we are gonna be young fast and nasty on both sides..I was worried before Ballard but i c his genius already...He is am nfl version of theo epstein..And all these guys we r signing right now will be off the books by time draft talent is ready to sign next contract...

Morrison sucks man. LOL. He's a backup/special teamer. He's like an crappier version of an old DQ

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It sounds like from the article and the posts here that Jarrad Davis is the safest pick at ILB.  If we're not sold on Foster or Reddick (or they're gone) I'd trade down and take Davis. Or take Raekwon McMillan round 2 who is underrated.

But taking any ILB round 1, you'd have to question how you feel about the CBs. What if Humphrey is still on the board? How high do you take Quincy Wilson?

I've been a big fan of Jarrad for months now, he is truly a savage. Just sucks he's been injured soo much. 

And I'd be happy with Humphrey, or Wilson. I like Conley more than both of them though. 

16 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Morrison sucks man. LOL. He's a backup/special teamer. He's like an crappier version of an old DQ

I disagree, great run stopper and he lays tje WOOD ala James Harrison style..He was a rookie man, it takes time, ill tell you one thing when he hits guys it hurts them...All he needs is a guy like reddick to cover the te and morrison can be the run stuff guy..Ive seen plenty of FLASHES from Morrison, every team needs those nasty hardworking nothing given has to be earned guys...

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I've been a big fan of Jarrad for months now, he is truly a savage. Just sucks he's been injured soo much. 

And I'd be happy with Humphrey, or Wilson. I like Conley more than both of them though. 

Man Reddick will give u 12 sacks at olb yr 1....Watt in 2nd, and you got 2 elite pro bowl potential edge guys..And they can play together,  both are athletic enough to play ilb or olb..

9 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

But what's the order of importance? Do you take Humphrey over Reddick? Wilson or Davis?

36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Jarrad Davis is a favorite of mine as far as ILB's go. Wouldn't take him at 15, but he could be there in RD2. Pair him with Spence. He's gonna be a stud though.

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

If Colts had #1 pick in the draft I think I would take Reddick over Garrett to be honest...If Reddick is gone I hope we get Hooker or Barnett..Barnett reminds me of Julius Peppers...

No you wouldn't.

And if you did,  the NFL would stop the draft and haul you off in a straight jacket.

Come on now....    take a deep breath.     Don't hyperventilate.     Stop drinking regular coffee and start drinking decaf.      Seriously,   you're getting way, WAY too worked up.

Slow your roll or you'll never last until the draft.       We don't want you stroking-out!!

We're happy your back and in mid-season form.....    just pace yourself!            :thmup:

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Khalil Mack? I kid I kid...he blew up Notre Dame too. He was unblockable. I'm not going to sit here and say he is better prospect than Foster because Foster has the tape and the pedigree...but he was very impressive. He can run sideline to sideline....he can blitz...he looked comfortable in space playing zone and dropping. I do think there could be issues with bigger OL if we played him outside all the time...but we all know guys like Robert Mathis and Elvis Dummervil gave OL fits for years too. I'm just excited either way...I think Reddicks upside because of his ability to rush the passer gets my juices going. I feel like he could get after the qb from any spot on the field or read the play and make a TFL. I just know that teams keyed on this guy...said we have to take him out of the play...and he still destroyed them. I know Foster played a different position but he had a lot of help on that defense. I just think Reddick has heart..and his play against Penn State and Notre Dame and the senior bowl shows he can play with anyone....but I understand your concerns...the what is he question frightens everyone after the Werner debacle.

My honest opinion is he is a WIL that can play all 3 downs but what you have him doing (rushing/dropping) is up to you....i just want him in the backfield creating havoc and I think he identifies plays and does that from anywhere on the field.

I hear what you said about him. I just wanted him from the start. I thought we could get him in the 2nd but then the Senior Bowl happened and I got nervous lol....and then the combine and now I know...if we want him...it'll have to be rd 1. I'm fine with that...and I'm fine with the others you mentioned....but I hate that guys get hot and make a big leap...but to me what that is something that scouts have known all along...just these so called experts are just now catching up.

Khalil Mack wasn't changing positions, and he wasn't undersized for he position he played in college. His only knock was small school competition, but he's a perfect example of why you don't run away from a great prospect just because he didn't play at a Power 5 school.

Werner has nothing to do with my concern on Reddick. I don't consider DE to Rush OLB to be a major position change in the NFL, but you have to have explosiveness and flexibility, and Werner had neither. His problem wasn't the position change -- which tons of players have made coming to the NFL -- it's that he wasn't a good player.

It's very possible that scouts were higher on Reddick than anyone knew. But I don't think anyone expect him to blow up at the Combine. 

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Charlton, McKinley, Williams. I like Harris too.

None of your three are perfect prospects; they all have holes in their game, bigger holes than Barnett. I'm starting to like Harris better than all of them.

I do agree that Barnett is probably not a 15 sack/year guy. But neither is Chandler Jones, but I bet you would have been screaming to give him $15m/year if he hit free agency this year. Jones is my Barnett comparison. 

33 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Man Reddick will give u 12 sacks at olb yr 1....Watt in 2nd, and you got 2 elite pro bowl potential edge guys..And they can play together,  both are athletic enough to play ilb or olb..

I'd be happy with Reddick too. 

27 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

But what's the order of importance? Do you take Humphrey over Reddick? Wilson or Davis?

Thats up to Ballard. I'd rank Hassan over Humphrey and Wilson. I don't know Jarrads medicals so I can't say on him. 

9 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I'd be happy with Reddick too. 

Thats up to Ballard. I'd rank Hassan over Humphrey and Wilson. I don't know Jarrads medicals so I can't say on him. 

Interesting. I think given that scenario I'd take a healthy Wilson or Humphrey and bet that Davis' medical would push him to the 2nd.

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

None of your three are perfect prospects; they all have holes in their game, bigger holes than Barnett. I'm starting to like Harris better than all of them.

I do agree that Barnett is probably not a 15 sack/year guy. But neither is Chandler Jones, but I bet you would have been screaming to give him $15m/year if he hit free agency this year. Jones is my Barnett comparison. 

Chandler Jones is a star pass rusher. It don't matter if he hasn't put up 15 exactly. He's still a double digit sack EDGE rusher Supe. And I don't see that comp for Barnett. I see more Chandler Jones in Taco Charlton. JMO. But even a great EDGE rusher isn't gonna post 15 every year anyways, but he'll put up 10-12 at least and have a couple years with ~15 or more. So when I say 15 sacks. I mean roughly ~15...13-14-15, etc. Don't have to be an exact number. I just want a couple double digit sack OLB's. But Yeah all 3 of those guys have holes in their game, but I see them putting up 10-12- pretty much every year and ~15 sacks here and there, compared to Barnett being a more well rounded player and putting up 6-7-8 etc. I'd rather have a pure pass rusher (Tim Williams) who can put up big sack numbers, hits, and hurries personally, than a guy who's well rounded, plays his __ off and puts up 6-7 a year myself. Chandler Jones has had years where he put up 11.5, 12.5, etc. So heck yeah I would have wanted us to sign him. He's that freak we need.

Then again. This is just our opinions. I could be 100% wrong, and Barnett could be the best of the class, and put up 10-12. Or you could be wrong and Takk, Charlton, and Williams could be the superstars of the class. I do like Barnett, but only if we had a Miller or Mack on the other side of him...Which we don't. All good. You have opinion and I have mine. We've both been wrong just like everyone else LOL.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

No more injury prone players..that led to grigsons demise..I really feel grigson had an eye for talent, we have talent, cupboard is far from bare, but so many guys he signed or drafted seem to me made of glass, if they stayed healthy he wouldn't b fired...To name a few Donald Thomas, Hugh Thornton, Ahmad Bradshaw, Gosder Cherilous, Toler, Art Jones, Khalid, BOYETT, Geathers all injury prone and im sure im missin some..

Edited by jshipp23

29 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

No more injury prone players..that led to grigsons demise..I really feel grigson had an eye for talent, we have talent, cupboard is far from bare, but so many guys he signed or drafted seem to me made of glass, if they stayed healthy he wouldn't b fired...To name a few Donald Thomas, Hugh Thornton, Ahmad Bradshaw, Gosder Cherilous, Toler, Art Jones, Khalid, BOYETT, Geathers all injury prone and im sure im missin some..

Did you really just say that? lmao ........

Oh no you just di-nt

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Most of those aren't on him though. Most of the guys had clean medicals coming out of college or from the other teams they came from. 

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Toler, Landry, RJF, etc all SUCKED. They were terrible signings from jump street. Cherilious was actually a good RT, but had injuries. But Holmes, Werner, BOYETT, Smith, and all the other bad draftees SUCKED, and never had any potential to begin with. Jones and Bradshaw are the only ones I'll agree with you on. Art Jones was a stud those last 2 years in Baltimore, and Bradshaw had always been a stud RB. Grigson was a joke all the way around. Drafting, FA signings, trades, EVERYTHING bro.

48 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Most of those aren't on him though. Most of the guys had clean medicals coming out of college or from the other teams they came from. 

They were still all terrible signings and picks though. Other than Gosder and Art. Those 2 were actually really solid players who happened to get injured with us. Jones was a stud those last 2 years in Baltimore, and Cherilious had that 1 good year for us. But like I said above.....Grigson is/was just a joke all the way around though. FA signings, draft picks, trades, etc.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I definitely like him. I just don't know where to put him. I had him as a second round guy (almost mocked him to us at #46), then he blew up at the Combine and everyone is putting him in the top 20, or higher.

I have him (Reddick) at the top of round 2  (33-37), and Foster is still around 9-12, to me.

12 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

So what if we had JJ Watt and he made a stupid mistake one night and got in a fight with another dude, would say release JJ Watt then becusue he's a risk player now that's he's made a mistake because ya know... he's only human? 

The thinking in the NFL is, we'll spend a ton of money investigating and trailing a top round one draft pick to reduce the risk of drafting a problem.  But risk is in the eye of the beholder at this stage. Once on the team,  you remove the problem when you have better on hand.  Not any time sooner.  Thus, if the player is great, teams will find a way to hang on to him... at least until his replacement comes on aboard.