Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Exodus "educated guess" 4-round Mock Draft

So, I work nights, and have a lot of time to think, so I've been playing with the upcoming draft in my head. Here is a mock that I not only think is realistic, but quite probable. Some people do alternate picks, which I will only do with my first pick, as that player may be gone at 15. Without further waiting, here it is:

Round 1: Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama. 

Each year, there is one great player who slides for whatever reason. Whether it's due to other players climbing the board, or because of character concerns. This year, I believe that player to be Reuben Foster. If he falls to 15 (which I honestly believe could happen), we'd be ridiculous not to take him. Off the field issues or not, we're talking about a three down backer who can play sideline to sideline. That's something the Colts haven't had in quite some time. We'd fill a major hole with this pick right here.

*ALTERNATIVE: Forrest Lamp, OL, WKU

Round 2: Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama.

I'd LOVE to take TJ Watt here, but I don't see him making it that far into the second round. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see TJ sneak into the first round at this point. As for the actual pick, I personally feel like Tim's stock has actually fallen since the combine. He didn't really do anything to help, or hurt, his stock. He's a pretty predictable player, and honestly is a one trick pony. With that being said, he's a very good one trick pony. The common consensus is that when he's able to pin his ears back, and go after the QB, he's a dangerous player, but don't ask him to do much else. We've picked up plenty of "edge setters" in free-agency, now its time to grab a pass rusher in the draft. 

Round 3: Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

In my mind, Sidney Jones was EASILY the best CB in this years draft, and maybe one of the better defensive backs in general. He's got all the tools to be a great NFL CB, and the mentality to boot. For those of you who don't know, he's good friends with Marcus Peters, and even trains with him in the off-season. Well, we all know what happened to him at his pro day, and the draft day slide ends in the third round. Sure, we may have to wait a year or longer so see him on the field, but Sidney will be worth the wait. We already knew he was NFL ready, but I believe if he's given a year to learn the scheme of a defense, he'll be down right deadly when he hits the field in year two. 

Thanks for the read ya'll!! I look forward to everyone's critiques.

Round 4: Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma 

There's no denying this guys skills, but holy off the field issues batman. Now, we've seen players have issues in college, and come to the pros and clean right up, and I think with a good role model in the locker room like Gore, Mixon may be able to do that. We certainly need a young RB, and Joe Mixon fits the bill in round four. 

Round 4: Jake Butt, TE, Michigan

We may not "need" a tight end, but holy cow do I love this guy. Just an overall solid player at Michigan, he could instantly come in and compete for the TE2 position. Sure, he may not be a good blocking player, but he can work on that. Butt is the type of player who will move the chains, and do so consistently. If this draft weren't absolutely LOADED with TE talent, we could even be talking about him going in round two. If he makes it to our second, fourth round pick, he'd be an absolute steal.

Thanks for the read ya"ll! I look forward to everyone's critiques 

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Do you really think 2,3, and 4 will really be there?  If so, most of the experts are wrong.  Wouldn't be the first time.   

Believe it or not, yes. I recently saw a four-round mock that had Tim Williams falling into the third (What!?), and I've heard the proper fall for Jones is 1-2 rounds, so he may end up in the mid-third.  Mixon and Butt are a toss up, it will all come down to where GMs value them

27 minutes ago, Exodus said:

Believe it or not, yes. I recently saw a four-round mock that had Tim Williams falling into the third (What!?), and I've heard the proper fall for Jones is 1-2 rounds, so he may end up in the mid-third.  Mixon and Butt are a toss up, it will all come down to where GMs value them

Well, after looking at some of the previous years mock drafts, it's clear the experts like McShay and Kiper are sometimes dead wrong.  So I hope your mock comes to fruition.  

That would be three starters and a redshirt who may be very good.  Of course, the other way to look at it if Williams falls is - what does everyone know?   

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I feel like Ballard has taken Mixon off of his board.  He seems to put a very strong emphasis on character, talking about locker room guys and players we can be proud of

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I agree. While I could see us taking him, it would make total sense for us to cruise right on by and not look back

I'd be all for it.  I agree about Watt, I don't think he'll make it to us in the 2nd anymore but i took him in my mock in the 2nd before the combine.  I could see Jones being there but NOT Mixon.  I feel like his stock has been rising and he did nothing in his pro day to make it drop.  The ONLY knock is the character thing, and I'm not sure I want him just for that, but I can't deny he's a great talent and SOME team will overlook that for his athleticism.  I don't see him making it past the 2nd round really.

But if your draft did come true I'd be a happy fan!

3 hours ago, stitches said:

This looks a bit 49ers-ish draft. Draft several injured players with serious injuries and hope they overperform their draft position. I'm not sure Ballard is the type of GM to do this.

Yeah, I'm pretty darn certain that Ballard is not the type of GM to do this in his first year with a dumpster fire defense that needs the full works attention. 

After Ballard's "players that deserve to be here" comment, I think Tim Williams and Mixon are off the board, maybe even Foster after his recent antics.

I like the Sidney Jones pick, although I think 31 other teams will be looking to grab a 1st round corner a round or 2 later.

1 hour ago, cjrichard said:

Foster / Reddick in the 1st

Feeney in the 2nd

Hunt in the 3rd

Two best defensive players in the 4th CB (Jones) LB (Beckwith), and TE (Butt)

Best defensive players in the 5th, and 7th

Joseph

Foster and Reddick are good picks.

Feeney is decent but not a slam dunk starter. I'd rather take another defensive player here.

Hunt, fine.

Jones wont last to the 4th, I doubt he makes it out of the 2nd. Butt is great but Beckwith is a depth/ST player right now.

I would rather have your alternative 1st round pick, Forrest Lamp. Lamp, to me, has the potential to become an All-Pro guard. Reuben Foster concerns me, character-wise. I also feel he will not get out of the top 10. 

I would take a hard pass on Tim Williams. He oozes potential, but I am not convinced he can lay off the weed. 

I would pass on Mixon given the PR nightmare he brings with him. Plus, it sounds like he will be gone after the 2nd round.

Jake Butt is an intriguing 4th round pick. He could represent good value. 

I don't see any way we can wait until the 3rd for a CB. We have to get a starter and probably a slot. I'm thinking we only draft 1 LB and don't even look at RB until the 4th, honestly I would be surprised if we draft any offensive position other than RB. We just have way to many holes in the secondary to not spend about 3 picks on it this year. I feel like next year will be the year we add more O-line and TE help.