Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jabaal Sheard

AKB

4 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

For some reason, I'm having a hard time buying into the moves made so far in this offseason. But at the same time, I'm not going to be negative about them neither. Just a wait and see kind of thing IG. 

iMO the moves are very different. Actually bringing bodies to compete for camp, instead of dumpster depth with no chance to start.

When it comes to the defense, even average is a huge upgrade!

1 hour ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

For some reason, I'm having a hard time buying into the moves made so far in this offseason. But at the same time, I'm not going to be negative about them neither. Just a wait and see kind of thing IG. 

New England fans were pretty upset about losing him. 

Must mean something. 

He ran a 4.69 40, thats actually not that bad for a OLB (in fact it might be top 50% atleast). I am excited to see what he can do for us as a OLB standing up. 

Regarding Ballard's moves, I lean on something I read on one of the articles. Before you can get to a top 10 defense, you need to be average first. To be average first, you need to have solid depth at every position on the defense. Ballard is doing it the right way. Elevating the depth of the team and then sprinkling our defense with an entire draft class of defensive players. Imagine how competitive training camp is going to be! If all these moves provide solid depth and if we can find atleast 2-3 starters on defense (CB, ILB, NT to name a few) then we will be fine on our way to being average next year. It is a two year process at the very least. Lets be patient. 

There is no point in paying Minter or Poe for one year when we need to think about our starting lineup after 2 years. 

So basically, our depth will always have a contract year mentality.  Our draft picks will theoretically be starters with bigger contracts who are the team leaders.  Thats probably how a lot of teams want to be, but fall to the wayside at some point.  Old FA vets haven't been kind to us so that's fine by me.

Sheard was a pretty big signing. I think he could have some really good years for us and put up some big sack numbers. He needs to be starting opposite a first rounder. LOL. I'm tired of listing my 3 guys. But Sheard paired with one of those guys, then Simon and another early draft pick rotating would give us a devastating pass rush. Sheard should give us 8-10 sacks. Mos Def my favorite signing. Plus he's got some bad * in him. That's what we need.

And if Walden keeps sitting there unsigned I say we bring him back for another year or 2. The longer he's on the market, the lower his price tag is gonna be. Maybe even 1year, 7 million ???

I still want us to draft 2-3 EDGE rushers though considering its a very deep class. We're picking early. We need to take advantage of this deep class of EDGE rushers. Cant have enough. We gotta go EDGE at 15, then grab a guy, maybe 2 more  in the 2-4 range if no Walden.

2 rookies, Sheard, Walden, Simon, Mingo/Ayers. Might have to let one of those 2 go in this scenario. Or let Morrison or somebody go. JMO....He's not going to ever be any good anyway. Again JMO. Ayers has the ability to play ILB.

Put Maggitt on the PS.

I think about this off-season in terms of having a competent GM with an understanding of how to build a real roster vs the old GM who probably couldn't build a D3 football roster. Ballard has brought in guys who will grind everyday to win a starting job and gain their incentive money. Whereas Grigs brought in guys like Ricky Jean Francois, Laron, Todd Herrmanns, the list goes on...as well as guys who didn't have knowledge of the game to come in and try to "compete". My case in point is that we finally have a guy who is building from the ground up! Rome wasn't built in day my fellow Colts fans. 

19 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

And if Walden keeps sitting there unsigned I say we bring him back for another year or 2. The longer he's on the market, the lower his price tag is gonna be. Maybe even 1year, 7 million ???

I still want us to draft 2-3 EDGE rushers though considering its a very deep class. We're picking early. We need to take advantage of this deep class of EDGE rushers. Cant have enough. We gotta go EDGE at 15, then grab a guy, maybe 2 more  in the 2-4 range if no Walden.

2 rookies, Sheard, Walden, Simon, Mingo/Ayers. Might have to let one of those 2 go in this scenario. Or let Morrison or somebody go. JMO....He's not going to ever be any good anyway. Again JMO. Ayers has the ability to play ILB.

Put Maggitt on the PS.

We can ignore some other needs and draft 2 or 3 edge rushers.

I would venture to say Ballard may draft for need but after round 2 it will be BPA.

7 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Well then i guess its a good thing you aren't the GM.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would venture to say Ballard may draft for need but after round 2 it will be BPA.

The interesting thing is, unless Ballard is drafting a QB, WR, P, or K, need and BPA go hand in hand. Anything that is BPA at 15 or any other of our picks could almost be classified as a "need".

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The interesting thing is, unless Ballard is drafting a QB, WR, P, or K, need and BPA go hand in hand. Anything that is BPA at 15 or any other of our picks could almost be classified as a "need".

We need CB,S,DE,RB

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Really no need to exaggerate. This roster does have some good players already in place.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Really no need to exaggerate. This roster does have some good players already in place.

I know, but it's not exaggerating. Even if we draft a CB and he's not better than Vontae, he'll instantly be our no2 starter. An OLB would start for us, a Safety would start for us. Our 1st three picks will probably be starters and our other picks will fight for jobs. This is what I mean by BPA is a "need".

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I know, but it's not exaggerating. Even if we draft a CB and he's not better than Vontae, he'll instantly be our no2 starter. An OLB would start for us, a Safety would start for us. Our 1st three picks will probably be starters and our other picks will fight for jobs. This is what I mean by BPA is a "need".

With all due respect to assume all the scenarios you just listed is kind of unrealistic.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

With all due respect to assume all the scenarios you just listed is kind of unrealistic.

I didn't say that would each happen, I made an individual case for each position, should we draft them in the 1st round. I also say that our top 3 picks will be starters based on the talent of this roster as well. Obviously we're not going to draft multiple 1st round picks lol.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I didn't say that would each happen, I made an individual case for each position, should we draft them in the 1st round. I also say that our top 3 picks will be starters based on the talent of this roster as well. Obviously we're not going to draft multiple 1st round picks lol.

Fair enough. lol

• I looked over Tarrell Bashem with a little more detail.  I have a pretty good opinion of that kid.
  • Has really good size, strength, power, relentlessness.  I remember the Colts spoke with him 
  • at the combine.  If we got two pass rushers out this draft I wouldn't mind if he was one of them. 

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Put Maggitt on the PS.

I think I want to give Morrison at least one more season to display his talents. Even if he is just a 3-4 run thumper I wouldn't mind him staying, even as depth. Morrison may not be able to cover but he plays with passion and hits hard. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

We can take an EDGE rusher in the 1st, then another in the 3rd or something. Its too loaded of a class to not take advantage. So I say load up, and get a couple beastly EDGE rushers this year, and we wont have to worry about it the next 8 years or so.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Its actually not if we take advantage of the Jourdan Lewis and Joe Mixon situations. We can come out with 3 day 1 starters, and a couple other year 2 starters. Its a deep class at EDGE, CB, and RB, and IMO ILB. I like a lot of 3rd-4th round ILB prospects. So I think its definitely a possibility. Especially considering the state of our roster.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Its actually not if we take advantage of the Jourdan Lewis and Joe Mixon situations. We can come out with 3 day 1 starters, and a couple other year 2 starters. Its a deep class at EDGE, CB, and RB, and IMO ILB. I like a lot of 3rd-4th round ILB prospects. So I think its definitely a possibility. Especially considering the state of our roster.

I'm all for it.

8 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Put Maggitt on the PS.

I can get with this!

And this is assuming that all this players that are being Drafted are ready to play at the next level, Everyone knows it will take the players at least half the year to a year to get up to speed with the play book and  the speed of the game, I read this forum last year some of the members were ready to tar and feather the rookies for making rookie mistakes. I like what Ballard has done so far in FA he has brought the personnel into the locker room that are not old and are not asking for a lot of money, looking for a starting position and players who are actually good against stopping the run. So far from what I read about the players he has brought it they have a mean streak about them not afraid to tackle. 

Back to the original post/topic, I like what I saw in the video (understanding it's highlights) and liked the strip  sacks and the times he would come back and make a tackle if his blocker took him away from the QB originally.  He has a motor, for sure, and wonder if he'll wear 93 here in Indy?

6 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Just another "oh you shouldn't have an opinion on a discussion form" remark.

Ignore it.

Oh yea, thats exactly what it is....... not.  I think the moves showed thought, planning , and didnt handicap us going forward. Just kinda sayin its good NONE of us is the GM or this team might resemble the keystone cops. 

18 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

I'm not swayed one way or the other as its far to early to tell.  I will say this, he brought in some proven players on prove it contracts.One thing I do like, he so far has paid what most agree to be fair prices for this FAs, no huge over paying based on 1 year of stats like Grigs did with Landry and no giant contract for career back up players. Grigs seemed to always be swinging for the home run, I think the way ballard is going about this is smart, getting upper tier, young back ups that have proven abilities but aren't over priced and signing them to short prove it contracts.  This is gonna make the draft very interesting for us as now we can pretty much grab BPA without being forced into reaching for a need.  I still think we'll go D for sure round 1, but it literally could be an position beyond that

17 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

We're gonna have a very bad time if we ever line him up in coverage.  Let me tell you... 

based on?

14 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Put Maggitt on the PS.

1. I don't see Walden coming back at all. Ballard wants competition, not someone re-signing with the expectation of starting. Walden's tweets pretty much spelled the end of him in Indy as well.

2. We need at least 1 edge rusher out of the draft. I'd like to see one in the first 2 rounds, then potentially another one around the 4th round.

3.  I'd like to see Maggitt with a full offseason under his belt, fully healthy. He was an animal at Tennessee when healthy.