Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Sky Is Falling!!!

unitaswestand

I am unsure of why so many people comment about how the Colts aren't championship material, they screw up free agency, they screwed up Mannings contract, and everything else you can think of. There is a popular Colts blog I do read everyday that seems to spend half the time ripping Bill Polian.

I guess I don't get it. Two seasons back, the Colts were in the Super Bowl. I think if Freeney hadn't been hurt, we win that game. And that was a team with injuries. So I thought coming into last year, with the injuried players coming back, they would be even better. Well, last year was the worst year I have ever seen for the Colts on injuries. And even still they had the Jets beat save for the bad special teams on the kickoff.

I think what the Colts did in April was the single most important item they have done in the last couple of years, and I believe it will have a ripple affect. Drafting Castonzo and Igalana was exactly what the team needed. Sure, that doesn't suddenly make them the Hogs of the 80s, but they should be much better. And I expect McClendon to win a guard spot as well. I know rookies usuallly struggle, but I do believe with the Colts system and Manning back there, they can succeed. If guys like Freitas can start as a rookie and hold his own, these guys should be fine. Along with drafting Carter, this should have a big effect on the running game. I expect now that Addai, Brown, and Carter will find some holes and start moving the chains on the group, or at least 3rd and short. Because of the improved running attack, I think Garcon is suddenly get more deep balls, because the secondary has to respect the run. The improved running attack should help the defense as they should not be on the field quite as long. I also think the offense will score more points.

So I guess what I am saying is I think the Colts are better team then they have been in 3-4 years. So, barring another injury plagued season, I fully expect the Colts to win the AFC and the Super Bowl. I think if they can do what they did last year with injuries, no offensive line, and no running attack, imagine what they will do this year?

I agree, but it's all theoretic for now. Theoretically, Indy will run the ball better which will open up the play-action which will help our offense score more points which will make the other team pass more which will play into our defense's strength which will result in more wins and a Super Bowl championship. However, it is impossible to predict these things. Who would have predicted all of the injuries we had last year? Who would have predicted White and Tamme would have had the seasons they did have. I agree with you that we are in good shape to win another Super Bowl and have no reason to think we won't win the Super Bowl, but until we see some football, it's all theoretic. In theory, communism and capitalism both work...

I like our chances, for sure. All the points you made about the benefits of the running game are totally true, and I think it will be vastly better this year. I'd like to see us make improving the ground attack a main focus of the future in order to extend Mannings career, among many other benefits. I'd wouldn't mind seeing our 2012 draft mirror our 2011 draft, in that o-line improvement was the top priority. We're gonna need a replacement for Saturday soon, and I'd like to see us get another tackle or guard (depending on where Ijalana ends up playing). I'd love to see Manning ride out the rest of his career behind one of the best o-lines in the league, making lots of handoffs, throwing screen passes, and thriving on play-action passes. With the 2013 draft, we should then try to get a new #1 receiver, hopefully with lots of speed!

I agree, but it's all theoretic for now. Theoretically, Indy will run the ball better which will open up the play-action which will help our offense score more points which will make the other team pass more which will play into our defense's strength which will result in more wins and a Super Bowl championship. However, it is impossible to predict these things. Who would have predicted all of the injuries we had last year? Who would have predicted White and Tamme would have had the seasons they did have. I agree with you that we are in good shape to win another Super Bowl and have no reason to think we won't win the Super Bowl, but until we see some football, it's all theoretic. In theory, communism and capitalism both work...

I hear what you are saying. But without theorectical conversations, there is no point in having forums :)

ummm, have u seen anything on here...no one thinks we are in bad shape.

Mostly outside blogs and columns. Not as much here, although I do see a lot that if we don't get a nose tackle we will be run over by the Jets again. Or if we don't have a better safety. Or how Polian screws up never signing free agents. Mostly, members of any of the versions of Forums we have had are pretty positive. But some Colt blogs and writers seem to relish in the idea that the sky is falling on the Colts. I read one where the guy predicted the Colts go 6-10 this year and the Polians should be fired

Mostly outside blogs and columns. Not as much here, although I do see a lot that if we don't get a nose tackle we will be run over by the Jets again. Or if we don't have a better safety. Or how Polian screws up never signing free agents. Mostly, members of any of the versions of Forums we have had are pretty positive. But some Colt blogs and writers seem to relish in the idea that the sky is falling on the Colts. I read one where the guy predicted the Colts go 6-10 this year and the Polians should be fired

ummm i keep hearing about a nose tackle...well when was the last time a 4-3 had a nose tackle anyway. either u have a 3-4 or a 5-3.. I dont get it.

A 5-3? wth is that?

5-3-5 is basically a 3-3-5 where the outside line backers purely crowd the line and rush. Several teams actually run their 3-4s more like a 4-3 (with 1 Joker) or a 5-2, which is basically what the ol' '80s era Bears used to run. (A formation of the 5-2 is actually called the 52 Bear.)

I think I'm half foolish when it comes to defensive formations... lol :catfight:

I am so tired of seeing the headline on nfl.com or espn.com asking if the colts are on the decline! :pullhair:

these people need to realize what caliber team they are talking about. Look, we may not have the highest paid players in the league, or even the best run defense (or whatever), but these guys get things done... again let's point out last year's season, so what we lost to the Jets in the wild card round, who cares? Where were probably 70-80% of our starters? that's right, IR... and look what we were able to do with our backups and even 3rd stringers... playoffs 9 years in a row... looking at a league record setting 10 yrs this year... I don't think the Colts will be on the decline for at least another 5 years... after that we'll just see what happens!

:colts: :trophy:

ummm i keep hearing about a nose tackle...well when was the last time a 4-3 had a nose tackle anyway. either u have a 3-4 or a 5-3.. I dont get it.

you keep hearing about b/c our D has a Nose Tackle & Under Tackle, just like the Vikings & Bears.

I am so tired of seeing the headline on nfl.com or espn.com asking if the colts are on the decline! :pullhair:

Meh. They get paid to talk and generate a buzz so their network can sell ads. Pundits have been predicting our doom for at least the past 6 years yet we continue to be the picture of constistancy.

Don't let media bother you. It's their job.