Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sidney Jones

His his recent achilles injury would he be a good candidate for Pick 15?

There are solid cornerbacks, linebackers and defensive lineman available as well

This will be an exciting draft for sure

What you do fellow horseshow lovers think about Jones and the prospects at 15

27 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

There are solid cornerbacks, linebackers and defensive lineman available as well

WTH????????????

He was a candidate for the Colts at 15 when he was HEALTHY.

Now, that he's not,  and it's a partially torn achilles he's a candidate for the Colts with the 15th pick at perhaps R3 or R4.       But NOT R1.

That ship completely sailed.

The better question is - could we afford to redshirt him if he were available in the 2nd round?  (No way on the 1st)

The Cowboys took a chance last year on Jaylon Smith.  He claims he's ready this year.  We'll see.  If he's back, it's like they had two first round picks from 16.  And Dak wasn't a bad selection either.

See, you fire up a controversial post and they come out of the woodwork. :)  

We are weak at corner unless Green or Melvin have a breakout year so I also would not take him either at 15. There are so many good corners in the draft but we have a more pressing need on the defensive front 7 

Take a strong D lineman or a stud LB with the 15th is more of an option

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

The better question is - could we afford to redshirt him if he were available in the 2nd round?  (No way on the 1st)

No, I don't think we could afford that. And there will be many teams that could afford to take that risk before us, so the discussion is pretty theoretical as far as I'm concerned. :)

I also doesn't see this as something Ballard would do in his first year. He needs all hands on deck, day one.

3 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

No, I don't think we could afford that. And there will be many teams that could afford to take that risk before us, so the discussion is pretty theoretical as far as I'm concerned. :)

I also doesn't see this as something Ballard would do in his first year. He needs all hands on deck, day one.

Agreed.  This is something the Browns could afford to do with all their picks.  But they would probably find a way to screw it up. 

Or the Patriots would do it with their second pick, and the kid will end up all pro for the next 10 years.

58 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

The Cowboys took a chance last year on Jaylon Smith.  He claims he's ready this year.  We'll see.  If he's back, it's like they had two first round picks from 16.  And Dak wasn't a bad selection either.

Yes, we could. If the medical is clean and there are no long term concerns, you can absolutely afford to redshirt a 2nd rounder. You draft for the future. I don't care how great this draft is, it's not going to transform our team overnight. It's in 2018 and 2019 that we hope to see players really hit their stride.

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yes, we could. If the medical is clean and there are no long term concerns, you can absolutely afford to redshirt a 2nd rounder. You draft for the future. I don't care how great this draft is, it's not going to transform our team overnight. It's in 2018 and 2019 that we hope to see players really hit their stride.

Not disagreeing with you, but do we have that luxury to take a chance?  I went back and looked at some recent drafts.  A lot of 'sure things didn't work out as first round picks. The draft is always a crap shoot to begin with.  

So, when you add in all our needs, losing a 2nd rounder, and hope that he recovers after sitting out a year....  doesn't seem too wise. 

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think you can with this type of injury an Achilles injury is a tough one for anyone to come back from, but especially a CB / or WR considering all the running they do. a 2nd rd pick is too high IMO.

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

See, you fire up a controversial post and they come out of the woodwork. :)  

We are weak at corner unless Green or Melvin have a breakout year so I also would not take him either at 15. There are so many good corners in the draft but we have a more pressing need on the defensive front 7 

Take a strong D lineman or a stud LB with the 15th is more of an option

You asked if someone who just ruptured their Achilles would be a good pick at #15.. which is just dog dumb. What kind of replies were you thinking you'd get lol 

Hopefully he falls to the 3rd no disrespect but I want him. Jordan Lewis might be there and now Fabian Monreau is hurt. We need 2 stud CBs out of the draft yes we can red shirt one if he's a stud, were not winning the Super Bowl next year sad to say it but its true so let's build for the future. I say draft a clean, day 1 starter round 2 then take a chance on one of these guys round 3.

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

You asked if someone who just ruptured their Achilles would be a good pick at #15.. which is just dog dumb. What kind of replies were you thinking you'd get lol 

I am not mad at the replies just asking a question brother.  Some mock drafts still have Jones in the top 15. as i said, I would not do it.  

9 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I am not mad at the replies just asking a question brother.  Some mock drafts still have Jones in the top 15. as i said, I would not do it.  

It's just a silly question. We're not a team that has the luxury of using a 1st(or 2nd imo) on a guy who won't even see the field in year 1. I wanted him at 15 before his injury and now I know we aren't gonna get him at all. Sucks. 

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not disagreeing with you, but do we have that luxury to take a chance?  I went back and looked at some recent drafts.  A lot of 'sure things didn't work out as first round picks. The draft is always a crap shoot to begin with.  

So, when you add in all our needs, losing a 2nd rounder, and hope that he recovers after sitting out a year....  doesn't seem too wise. 

Is the question about taking the chance on an injured player, or is it about not having that player for a year while he recovers? I thought the issue was simply about redshirting him.

Either way, I'm assuming the medical is all clear. Achilles' injuries for younger players aren't particularly troubling, even for quick players. It's just a lengthy recovery, depending on the severity of the injury.

I think this draft is deep enough that you don't need to take Jones in the second. And I'm not as high on him as everyone else, so I'm okay with not having him. But if you're convinced he'll recover and you think he can be a starter, potential #1 corner, then I have no problem with drafting him and stashing him for a year. 

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I think he drops from the first round with that injury.

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

i agree if he is that good, most draft picks cant start on day one anyway they take time to adjust to the nfl, our main starters this year will be what we have and any free agent pickups. ryan last year was an exception some can take right off, just not many. however our talent on defense was so bad that picks may do as well as what we had, but if his injury will heal i say take him if he drops down low enough

18 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I don't think you can with this type of injury an Achilles injury is a tough one for anyone to come back from, but especially a CB / or WR considering all the running they do. a 2nd rd pick is too high IMO.

I'm not especially scared off by this injury, assuming all his medical looks good.

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

What are you thinking?  :headspin:

2 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I would be know people how have had it. Tough road back and usually never the same.

Any tendon or ligament tear is going to be serious and difficult to come back from, but there are plenty of NFL players to come back fine from Achilles' tears. Some of them are older vets, like Steve Smith and Cameron Wake recently.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Any tendon or ligament tear is going to be serious and difficult to come back from, but there are plenty of NFL players to come back fine from Achilles' tears. Some of them are older vets, like Steve Smith and Cameron Wake recently.

Yeah, some recover but the odds aren't great.  This article on NFL injuries sums it up. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160906145606.htm

I just don't think we can afford to redshirt a 2nd round pick.  Too many holes to fill.  

42 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

It's just a silly question. We're not a team that has the luxury of using a 1st(or 2nd imo) on a guy who won't even see the field in year 1. I wanted him at 15 before his injury and now I know we aren't gonna get him at all. Sucks. 

I don't think it is a silly question at all. It stimulates discussion. 

Today, on a Vikings site I posed a question that one might describe as "silly". I asked whether we would consider trading Xavier Rhodes to the Saints for their #11 pick, as the Vikes have no first round pick and the draft is deep at the CB position. Also, Xavier is going into his contract year and will command lots of money. The "silly" question generated lots of discussion. At least 75% of us wrote we would not do it, myself included.

Drafting Sidney Jones was also a topic today. Coach Zimmer recently said he will draft a CB if one he likes is available. Our fans would be willing to draft Jones in the 3rd or 4th Rd where we have 2 picks/rd.

The Colts will have plenty of opportunities to draft a top CB this year. 

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, some recover but the odds aren't great.  This article on NFL injuries sums it up. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160906145606.htm

I just don't think we can afford to redshirt a 2nd round pick.  Too many holes to fill.  

You're talking about significant injuries. The article states that return to play after an Achilles is higher, but only slightly, than a knee injury.

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're talking about significant injuries. The article states that return to play after an Achilles is higher, but only slightly, than a knee injury.

But a longer recovery and RTP time.  Baseline performance two to three years.   

It's most likely moot.  Ballard doesn't seem like a roll the dice type of guy.  

"Athletes who underwent Achilles tendon repair fared slightly better than those who required knee procedures. While they experienced longer recovery periods and decreases in games played and performance the first season after surgery, these players were able to return to baseline performance two and three seasons after surgery."

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I don't think it is a silly question at all. It stimulates discussion. 

Today, on a Vikings site I posed a question that one might describe as "silly". I asked whether we would consider trading Xavier Rhodes to the Saints for their #11 pick, as the Vikes have no first round pick and the draft is deep at the CB position. Also, Xavier is going into his contract year and will command lots of money. The "silly" question generated lots of discussion. At least 75% of us wrote we would not do it, myself included.

Drafting Sidney Jones was also a topic today. Coach Zimmer recently said he will draft a CB if one he likes is available. Our fans would be willing to draft Jones in the 3rd or 4th Rd where we have 2 picks/rd.

The Colts will have plenty of opportunities to draft a top CB this year. 

For the Colts, yes it's a very silly question. To use pick 15 on a corner that won't play all year is silly. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Smith is a rarity and played what 1 more year. wake is  an exception. CB is a position that you have to have quick twitch stop and start ability. An Achilles injury to a cb not good. Can he come back sure will he be the same probabley not would I use a 2 on him NEVER maybe a 3 if I had 2 3's. On top of that I personally like 5-7 cb's better. I'll pass