Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are signing WR Kamar Aiken

Everyone

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Someone who was drafted a round earlier than they should've been doesn't really qualify as a bust. Dorsett's production also doubled from his rookie year to second season, so the arrow's technically still pointed up. If he doesn't put it all together this year though, he's likely gone. I also wouldn't be surprised if Ballard has intentions of trading Dorsett after this signing.

I hope we don't trade Dorsett a year too early.

I'd hate to use a #1, then trade him and watch him become the WR we hoped he'd be with another team.....

That would NOT be good.....

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Dorsett goes, now that we are a couple of years in, it doesn't matter anymore where he was drafted. In this league your silver spoon doesn't last long, there aren't any privileged positions in the league anymore past the hoopla of the draft. It's put up or shut up. Right now he is just another guy on the roster competing for playing time- and if he gets beat out for reps, then that is on him.   

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd hate to use a #1, then trade him and watch him become the WR we hoped he'd be with another team.....

I would keep him as well. If anything he can return Punts and be used for extra depth on the WR depth chart. Cant teach speed, he runs a 4.3 40.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Yes and no. On the positive side it would show that there was some ineptitude on the coaching staff's behalf in regards to how to use him, which would probably lead to some changes that we've all been waiting for.

On the other hand, yes, if he were to go to another AFC team and put up 1,000 yards, 7-8 TDs, that would sting. But if we got good value in return for him, it could ultimately be what's best for both parties.

12 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yes and no. On the positive side it would show that there was some ineptitude on the coaching staff's behalf in regards to how to use him, which would probably lead to some changes that we've all been waiting for.

On the other hand, yes, if he were to go to another AFC team and put up 1,000 yards, 7-8 TDs, that would sting. But if we got good value in return for him, it could ultimately be what's best for both parties.

I seriously doubt we'll get good value.    Why would teams give-up much for Dorsett?

Not sure he's done enough to get much back.      I'm guessing a 5?     And that's only because this WR draft class isn't very good,  so perhaps that helps a little....

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Someone who was drafted a round earlier than they should've been doesn't really qualify as a bust. Dorsett's production also doubled from his rookie year to second season, so the arrow's technically still pointed up. If he doesn't put it all together this year though, he's likely gone. I also wouldn't be surprised if Ballard has intentions of trading Dorsett after this signing.

I think he has the potential, he doubled his numbers thanks to Moncrief's injury but still did not completely step up in his absence the way you'd want a first round pick too. Kelvin Benjamin was picked around the same time the year before and had a stronger start to his career although injuries, both his and Cam's, have hurt him lately. Guys like Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, and Jarvis Landry who were second round picks the year before have all been outperforming him as well.

I'm actually comparing the 2014 and 2015 WR drafts in the first couple rounds. 2014 also had Watkins, Evans, OBJ, and Cooks in the first round as well vs. 2015 which had Cooper, Kevin White, Davante Parker, Nelson Agholor, and Brashad Perriman all before Dorsett. 2014 was a monster year.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would keep him as well. If anything he can return Punts and be used for extra depth on the WR depth chart. Cant teach speed, he runs a 4.3 40.

I think we tried him on punts and he muffed it week 1 his rookie year against buffalo. Maybe Kick Returns I think punts are too much pressure and that's when Phillip cracks. Hopefully he gains more confidence

When you need a big catch down the middle in a playoff run, you need that big bodied/quick underneath wide out/TE to help with it.

Dallas Clark for Peyton, Edelman for Brady, Boldin for Flacco, Cruz for Eli etc.

Hopefully Aiken can help. However, Grigson did start out with Heyward Bey, Donnie Avery, Hakeem Nicks, AJ etc. on 1 or 2 year deals, all of which fizzled out. I'm still for drafting a big bodied wide out like Josh Malone of Tennessee in later rounds or a quick shiftier one like Ryan Switzer. 

I seriously doubt we'll get good value.    Why would teams give-up much for Dorsett?

Not sure he's done enough to get much back.      I'm guessing a 5?     And that's only because this WR isn't very good,  so perhaps that helps a little....

The fact that he's still on his rookie deal adds some value, probably makes him a little more appealing to would be suitors. However, if he was in the middle of a fat contract, it'd be really difficult to trade him.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Calling a player a bust that hasn't had the chance to show what he can do is pre mature.

He played in almost every game last year and demonstrated absolutely nothing besides straight line speed.  He didn't show what he can do because he isn't skilled enough to get open.  He's a bust.

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

Roll with woods as our starting NT? With a 231 pound LB in Sean Spence? That smells of bottom 3 in the league again. 100% were not done with FA. Proof? We got Mychal Rivera in for a visit today and we got about 20 mil left. And watch us go after Hankins now that he had to lower his price

Yall really don't understand how much we are gonna be relying on the draft he's also not gonna spend every cent this offseason 

2 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

He played in almost every game last year and demonstrated absolutely nothing besides straight line speed.  He didn't show what he can do because he isn't skilled enough to get open.  He's a bust.

Not only is he not a bust,  he's not even close to a bust.    A disappointment?   Sure.    An under-achiever?   Yes. But not a bust.

He averaged 16.0 yards a catch.     Do you know how few WR's can do that?    Especially when the opposition knows that's your specialty?

Dorsett can still get better.     Plenty of WR's have improved over time....       there's no reason to give up on him now....      The Colts hired a new WR coach this off-season.      I'd like to see what that coach can do with this position group....

4 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

What # does Kamar rock? Quan Bray has 11, would he go to an 80 #? I think he'd look good in 17 or 19. He's not getting 18 for dam sure

18 is being retired, not sure if thats official yet

there are some articles out there explaining that its in the works along with a statue

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

18 is being retired, not sure if thats official yet

there are some articles out there explaining that its in the works along with a statue

Irsay has already said that no other Colt would ever wear #18 besides Manning. I would imagine the #18 will be officially retired when the statue goes up.

I am sure that irsay will plan a huge deal when that does happen for sure.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Also Rogers.   I think Moncrief and Hilton have the top 2 spots sealed up.   The 3rd and 4th are wide open.  I think the Colts need a guy who's good in the slot.   Rogers may be that guy.

I like moncrief, but i'm not sure why people think he's safe at #2 wr.  I always felt he played a little tentatively (like fleener did).  He gets pushed around by defenders, imo, and isnt the red sone threat i'd expect him to be.  Hopefully he can further develop and play a lil more physically.  Maybe even put on 10 pounds or so.  Besides TE, we havent had a big, physical receiver (i'm thinking red sone) for some time. I'm not down on moncrief, but feel he should dominate more than he does with the skills he has.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He averaged 16.0 yards a catch.     Do you know how few WR's can do that?    Especially when the opposition knows that's your specialty?

2nd highest YPC in the league last year. People who don't think he can be productive in the NFL are sadly mistaken.

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

I like moncrief, but i'm not sure why people think he's safe at #2 wr.  I always felt he played a little tentatively (like fleener did).  He gets pushed around by defenders, imo, and isnt the red sone threat i'd expect him to be.  Hopefully he can further develop and play a lil more physically.  Maybe even put on 10 pounds or so.  Besides TE, we havent had a big, physical receiver (i'm thinking red sone) for some time. I'm not down on moncrief, but feel he should dominate more than he does with the skills he has.

The Z on your keyboard broken? LOL!

5 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

The odd thing about Moncreif is this....

He was the youngest WR in his draft class.     I think he was 20.    And he didn't come from a pro style offense,  so he's got lots and lots of upside.     There's no reason to think he's maxed out and can't get better,  he can.

And the team brought in a new,  well thought of WR coach this off-season.    So, I'm expecting our WR group to be better this year.    The only question is.....    how much better?     Obviously,  I'm hoping for a lot!

He was the youngest WR in his draft class.     I think he was 20.    And he didn't come from a pro style offense,  so he's got lots and lots of upside.     There's no reason to think he's maxed out and can't get better,  he can.

And the team brought in a new,  well thought of WR coach this off-season.    So, I'm expecting our WR group to be better this year.    The only question is.....    how much better?     Obviously,  I'm hoping for a lot!

With all the free agency signings, new GM, Peyton/Gruden rumors, etc, the new WRs coach could low-key be one of the slickest moves the Colts made this offseason.

Moncrief is not a fragile body. He's had 1 major injury in his career and that was last year. So throw that narrative out of the window.

And dorsett is not a bust. He's being gravely misused here. So throw that out of the window as well.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

With all the free agency signings, new GM, Peyton/Gruden rumors, etc, the new WRs coach could low-key be one of the slickest moves the Colts made this offseason.

I was thinking the same thing.

And the Colts must've really liked him,  because I think we signed him right AFTER Grigson got fired and right BEFORE we hired Ballard.

Irsay knew what we wanted/needed and went out and got it....

Now, it just has to pay-off on the field........       please?       :peek:

I'm glad our organization didn't give up on Reggie Wayne after his second year. By no means am I saying that Dorsett will ever be Reggie, but he's showing progression, just as Reggie did. This could be the year where it all comes together for him, or maybe he's peaked, but I'm not ready to move on from him yet.

5 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'm glad our organization didn't give up on Reggie Wayne after his second year. By no means am I saying that Dorsett will ever be Reggie, but he's showing progression, just as Reggie did. This could be the year where it all comes together for him, or maybe he's peaked, but I'm not ready to move on from him yet and it certainly doesn't look like the front office is either.

People are entitled to their opinions, but I just don't understand how you could watch this highlight reel and think "this guy's a bust."

People are entitled to their opinions, but I just don't understand how you could watch this highlight reel and think "this guy's a bust."

Probably because most people base their opinion the on the ~30 games they've seen him play in instead of a 3 minute YouTube video of his greatest hits. 

Just now, Dustin said:

21 more yards in like 10 more games huh? Damn great signing

they have both been in the league for three years, and aiken has more total yards

if DM cant stay on the field, then that is a strike against him

Just now, aaron11 said:

they have both been in the league for three years, and aiken has more total yards

if DM cant stay on the field, then that is a strike against him

DM counst stay on the field because he broke his shoulder last season. Aiken couldn't stay on the field because he's not good and lost snaps to two guys on the wrong side of 30. 

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Probably because most people base their opinion the on the ~30 games they've seen him play in instead of a 3 minute YouTube video of his greatest hits. 

Maybe, but the video is a nice contrast to listening to a bunch of people who are blatantly rooting against him so they can pile on about how he's a bust.

17 minutes ago, myic90 said:

Moncrief is not a fragile body. He's had 1 major injury in his career and that was last year. So throw that narrative out of the window.

And dorsett is not a bust. He's being gravely misused here. So throw that out of the window as well.

Throwing something out the window is probably a better use of it than throwing it at Dorsett. 

Maybe, but the video is a nice contrast to listening to a bunch of people who are blatantly rooting against him so they can pile on about how he's a bust.

Idk how anyone can watch this and call this guy a bust

Just now, Dustin said:

DM counst stay on the field because he broke his shoulder last season. Aiken couldn't stay on the field because he's not good and lost snaps to two guys on the wrong side of 30. 

hes not good?  that's interesting becasue nfl GMs that know more than you think hes worth bringing in

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Me too.  We need him to step up

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not only is he not a bust,  he's not even close to a bust.    A disappointment?   Sure.    An under-achiever?   Yes. But not a bust.

Dorsett can still get better.     Plenty of WR's have improved over time....       there's no reason to give up on him now....      The Colts hired a new WR coach this off-season.      I'd like to see what that coach can do with this position group....

16 yards a catch? Damn hes way up there with Chris Hogan and JJ Nelson.