Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mychal Rivera

56 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Are there typically a lot of TE's that are small and fast?? No! There are a lot more larger blocking only guys who don't make it in the league because they are little quality. Smaller better athletes are harder to find and your crazy if you think otherwise. And if we are throwing names out there I'll take Shannon Sharpe or Tony Gonzalez any day as they go against your mold. Witten is solid but he is also far more versatile than your giving him credit for. Doyle is not close to Witten but does have some potential. 

Shannon Sharpe and Tony Gonzalez are not a good comparison.

The only thing they have in common are both are HoF tight ends.

From memory, Sharpe was 6'2" and about 235.      Gonzalez was 6'5" and 255.

Both were more receiving type of tight ends than they were blocking.....

Whitten is 6'4" and I think roughly 260-265.

13 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gee, i watched him block, mostly in motion, and i was very pleased with the results.
 Sorry you weren`t paying attention.
  As we have watched Doyle improve his run blocking the last 2 seasons (pass blocking still a C) and his run blocking was highly effective, i expect Swoope to improve another step in blocking also.
 We should see Chud continuing to set up his players for success as he learns how to use all of them together.
  Give someone credit for all these 20+ yard catches on so few attempts. I`m actually impressed by it.
 Nice job Chud, Lucky, Project Swoope. Keep building on this!!
 http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/17091/erik-swoope

Well, since we're both internet experts on the movements of players on the field, I watched Doyle catch and run with the ball only five times the season before last and knew instantly that resigning DA would be a waste of money....after knowing that resigning Fleener would be too.  

Yet inexplicably, the forum was just gushing over resigning DA (probably really because they simply liked Fleener leaving....you know...that "either/or" thing that a some forum members cant get passed.)   

Swoope is a nice player.  But I'm glad he doesn't cost much.

10 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Are there typically a lot of TE's that are small and fast?? No! There are a lot more larger blocking only guys who don't make it in the league because they are little quality. Smaller better athletes are harder to find and your crazy if you think otherwise. And if we are throwing names out there I'll take Shannon Sharpe or Tony Gonzalez any day as they go against your mold. Witten is solid but he is also far more versatile than your giving him credit for. Doyle is not close to Witten but does have some potential. 

A "receiving TE" has to be a special player for them to last in the league...whereas more versatile body-types and skills last longer.  Doyle is Witten-esque in that way and I would not compare him to Gonzalez or Sharpe who were special receivers from the TE position.

The Bryan Fletcher's of the world don't last long, and are a dime a dozen.  Jacob Tamme seemed to mesh with PM and extended his career because of it.  Right now, I'd put Swoope in the Bryan Fletcher/Jacob Tamme quality than Gonzalez or Sharpe.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Shannon Sharpe and Tony Gonzalez are not a good comparison.

The only thing they have in common are both are HoF tight ends.

From memory, Sharpe was 6'2" and about 235.      Gonzalez was 6'5" and 255.

Both were more receiving type of tight ends than they were blocking.....

Whitten is 6'4" and I think roughly 260-265.

That was my point though NCF.  They were receiving TE's and the comment I was responding to is mentioning TE's that block more but still are there as a dump off.  I was stating that even though he was against that type of TE I would rather have that in the long run.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

A "receiving TE" has to be a special player for them to last in the league...whereas more versatile body-types and skills last longer.  Doyle is Witten-esque in that way and I would not compare him to Gonzalez or Sharpe who were special receivers from the TE position.

The Bryan Fletcher's of the world don't last long, and are a dime a dozen.  Jacob Tamme seemed to mesh with PM and extended his career because of it.  Right now, I'd put Swoope in the Bryan Fletcher/Jacob Tamme quality than Gonzalez or Sharpe.

I am not comparing them at all and I might have just misspoke.  You were saying you would rather have Witten because he can block and not go down the field to often.  I am simply saying I would rather have the other side because they can become a prolific player for you.  Also, I was saying that you are understating Witten as he does go down the seams even though he will not average 20 yards per catch.

My point is if we are just going to focus on top TE's then this is a mute conversation.  Witten is solid and hopefully Doyle and become close to what he has become.  I think he has upside and I have liked him more than DA and Fleener for 2 years now.

54 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I am not comparing them at all and I might have just misspoke.  You were saying you would rather have Witten because he can block and not go down the field to often.  I am simply saying I would rather have the other side because they can become a prolific player for you.  Also, I was saying that you are understating Witten as he does go down the seams even though he will not average 20 yards per catch.

My point is if we are just going to focus on top TE's then this is a mute conversation.  Witten is solid and hopefully Doyle and become close to what he has become.  I think he has upside and I have liked him more than DA and Fleener for 2 years now.

I'd just as soon put 3 WRs on the field rather than spending money trying to find a dynamic receiving TE, who, by definition of the role, isn't asked to block much.

The conversation is moot anyway because I don't care about Swoope, Coffman, or Rivera.  A replacement could be found in round 4 of this draft if Ballard felt the need to find one.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'd just as soon put 3 WRs on the field rather than spending money trying to find a dynamic receiving TE, who, by definition of the role, isn't asked to block much.

The conversation is moot anyway because I don't care about Swoope, Coffman, or Rivera.  A replacement could be found in round 4 of this draft if Ballard felt the need to find one.

I agree!

21 receptions for 139 yards and 13 TDs.  What is this?  Its Dwayne Allen's redzone production from 2012 to present.  Somehow this HAS to be replaced.  And its not gonna come from TY, etc.  moncrief could help, but i dont think he's physical enough.

i was blown away by those numbers, and i'm sure this was the #1 reason he was attractive to NE. I expect Allen to be a stud for them.

I don't expect Doyle to fill the "hole" by himself, As can be seen in Ballards attempts at bringinging in more TEs i think.

say what you want about Allen's injuries, but you cant overlook his redzone production.  Easily the best we've had in that time.  Maybe an improved OL  will help the running game take some of that production too.

Allens redzone prowess is what really concerned me when we traded him.  And it appears Ballard saw this too and is on top of it.

On 3/21/2017 at 8:55 AM, Tmoney said:

Really good receiving threat with great size/athleticism and a high ceiling. He was so raw and has shown nice improvement every year and with his chance as the #2 he will shine.

Thats a stretch.  He's shown some promise, but not any more than Dorsett whobseems to be the whipping boy around here. 

Swoope had 2 "big" plays that i remember that i think clouded overall average production.  I think he needs a little more development before we can really rely on him as a true starter. Doyle and swoope will not adequately fill the needs of a #1 and #2 TE TEAM. And if doylecwere to go down, theres no way swoope could b relied on as a #1 imo.  Ballard knows this and i agree with his efforts.  

The thing i like the most about Ballard is he seems to be setting up competition at all positions.  Heck, he even seems to want competition at the backup QB spot, which we havent really seen around here for 20 years.  I like where he is going, and it appears Ballards plan is to load up on D in the draft. I think we are really gonna like the depth of this team in a year or two, also something we havent been able to say in quite a long time.

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Well, since we're both internet experts on the movements of players on the field, I watched Doyle catch and run with the ball only five times the season before last and knew instantly that resigning DA would be a waste of money....after knowing that resigning Fleener would be too.  

Yet inexplicably, the forum was just gushing over resigning DA (probably really because they simply liked Fleener leaving....you know...that "either/or" thing that a some forum members cant get passed.)   

Swoope is a nice player.  But I'm glad he doesn't cost much.

Doyle and DA are very dissimilar. DA got paid to be a top in-line blocker with receiving ability.
 Doyle got paid to be a fullback and outlet receiver. Just not the same pieces in our O.
  I think we agree DA could have been replaced last year by a real good blocking TE.
 I am sure Ballard has that on his radar.
 I know Doyle will likely get his 40 or so chances to in-line block next season, something he was beaten 9 of 41 attempts last season. He reminds of Clark when blocking on the line. Ugh! Let us hope he continues to improve at it. lol
 It is a great thing to have players that Lucky wants to throw the ball to. Swoope fits in the passing game that is for sure. Just up to Chud & Lucky to sharpen the attack.
 I am not a big Lucky fan because of some of the basics that he still struggles at.
 But, when that guy has time, he makes some Excellent passes beyond 15 yards.

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Thats a stretch.  He's shown some promise, but not any more than Dorsett whobseems to be the whipping boy around here. 

Swoope had 2 "big" plays that i remember that i think clouded overall average production.  I think he needs a little more development before we can really rely on him as a true starter. Doyle and swoope will not adequately fill the needs of a #1 and #2 TE TEAM. And if doylecwere to go down, theres no way swoope could b relied on as a #1 imo.  Ballard knows this and i agree with his efforts.  

The thing i like the most about Ballard is he seems to be setting up competition at all positions.  Heck, he even seems to want competition at the backup QB spot, which we havent really seen around here for 20 years.  I like where he is going, and it appears Ballards plan is to load up on D in the draft. I think we are really gonna like the depth of this team in a year or two, also something we havent been able to say in quite a long time.

Swoopes almost had as many receptions last year as Phillip has in his entire career. Production couldn't be further from the 2. Maybe you only remember 2 big plays, he averaged 19 ypc so clearly he was making plays. He still needs development but we wouldn't have traded DA if Swoopes didn't show so much promise last year. Doyle 100% is a better #1 then DA. 

2 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Swoopes almost had as many receptions last year as Phillip has in his entire career. Production couldn't be further from the 2. Maybe you only remember 2 big plays, he averaged 19 ypc so clearly he was making plays. He still needs development but we wouldn't have traded DA if Swoopes didn't show so much promise last year. Doyle 100% is a better #1 then DA. 

What are you talking about??? Dorsett had 33 receptions in 2016 vs Swoopes 15. Its not even true that he had almost as many receptions as Dorsett THIS YEAR, let alone Dorsett's entire career. Next time maybe check the numbers before you make ridiculous claims based on your opinions.

On 3/21/2017 at 7:50 AM, DougDew said:

Why does everybody love Swoope?

Watch his growth pattern and his play during that time, he is making some very good growth and he has enough speed and size and the biggest attribute he brings, he knows how to use his body to shield the defender and snag the ball. I really like his ceiling. 

2 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Zach Brown, Johnathan Hankins, Gearld Hodges, Mychal Kendricks when released. All would start and impact our D immediately

And how muchbare they worth investing?  If they were that "valuable", (ie production vs cost = value) then why are they still available?  Im thinking they want more $ then they are worth.

i agree we need "better" players, but at the he right cost.

ballard is smart (imo) not gambling our future on a high priced (overpriced?) free agent.  Be patient, their prices will com down.

let the others overpay.  But i agree it would be nice to add one of those guys, but only at the right price.

3 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Better check your stats again.  Dorsett had twice the catches, almost twice the yards AND twice the TDs as swoope.  Also, allen had almost same yardage and more TDs with only half the catches.

so i cant agree with any of the above.  The only thing Doyle has had over allen was on the injury front really.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=IND