Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mychal Rivera

Could be a nice little piece as a TE3 or competing for TE2....would be a much bigger add than Brandon Williams who we just signed.

Rivera isn't a world beater, but his second year in the league he had 50+ catches for 500+ yards and 4 TDs....seems to have fell out of favor in Oakland the past two years.

He is, however keeping to the theme, young (only 26).  Might be a nice piece to the roster as I said.

58 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why does everybody love Swoope?

Really good receiving threat with great size/athleticism and a high ceiling. He was so raw and has shown nice improvement every year and with his chance as the #2 he will shine.

2 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Okay now we are wasting time. Why get a 20th TE instead of going after the good defensive FAs still available? This pisses me off 

20th tight end what are your talking about we only have 3 tight ends on the roster. And this would allow us to not have to draft a tight end and focus on defense and  oline.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Why does everybody love Swoope?

Because he averaged roughly 20 yards per catch last season and he's still learning.    He's got room to grow and get better and he's already good.

He's a match-up problem.    He's giving some of what Fleener did....

Why do you ask this question?     What are your question marks?

5 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Okay now we are wasting time. Why get a 20th TE instead of going after the good defensive FAs still available? This pisses me off 

This is what pisses me off. How many defensive players have been signed? 5 or 6? There's been 3 offensive signings (pretty much all depth so far) and a punter.... you have too add depth to both sides of the ball and he's been heavy on the defensive side obviously. It's comments like this that make it hard to stay so active on this forum. Like did you even think about any of the past signings or did you just see were bringing in someone too work out who plays on offense and get * off? 

Smh :facepalm:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because he averaged roughly 20 yards per catch last season and he's still learning.    He's got room to grow and get better and he's already good.

He's a match-up problem.    He's giving some of what Fleener did....

Why do you ask this question?     What are your question marks?

None.  Hes been hating on Swoope since all of last season for absolutely no reason at all.

He can't even explain with any sense his reason for doing so.   He really wanted us to play

Chase Coffman over him which is funny.  You know Chase Coffman who still isn't on anybodies team.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

None.  Hes been hating on Swoope since all of last season for absolutely no reason at all.

He can't even explain with any sense his reason for doing so.   He really wanted us to play

Chase Coffman over him which is funny.  You know Chase Coffman who still isn't on anybodies team.

Why is it when somebody doesn't praise the person they are supposed to praise, it gets presented that they hate that person?   

Last season I said let DA walk and use Doyle as the starter and Coffman as Doyle's back up because DA doesn't do anything different than Doyle or even Coffman.  Swoope doesn't back up Doyle, since they don't play the same role. He's not even a real TE.  Swoope is the big-WR-who-lines-up-as-a-TE guy that's popular in the NFL.

Swoope is backing up no one, and no one is playing ahead of Swoope.  He's a role player who's installed as a mismatch in sub packages. 

I can't think of any reason why people on here would love Swoope based upon his body of work...  He's a nice player, a nice project, but the notion his job...even his role.....is safe is fantasy.  He's not an every down player.

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why is it when somebody doesn't praise the person or people they are supposed to praise, it gets presented that they hate that person?   I know why, but that's another topic. 

Last season I said let DA walk and use Doyle as the starter and Coffman as Doyle's back up because DA doesn't do anything different than Doyle or even Coffman.  Swoope doesn't back up Doyle, since they don't play the same role. He's not even a real TE.  Swoope is the big-WR-who-lines-up-as-a-TE guy that's popular in the NFL.

Swoope is backing up no one, and no one is playing ahead of Swoope.  He's a role player who's installed as a mismatch in sub packages. 

I can't think of any reason why people on here would love Swoope based upon his body of work...well...maybe one reason.  He's a nice player, a nice project, but the notion his job...even his role.....is safe is fantasy.  He's not an every down player.

Like I said.  You have no suitable reason.   What exactly makes one a real TE?

You're just sitting there making up stuff as you go along.   What exactly was Jack Doyle before last season? He was nothing but a blocking back.   A role player, but you don't seem to have anything against him.

What body of work do you speak of?   You mean any number of times where he burned the defense for nice yardage and improved his blocking as he went along.   What exactly do you expect out of somebody who just learned the game?   He's no project, he's already showed enough to indicate he can play.  I bet you if we released him right now those teams like the Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans would be interested.  So would the Texans.    You're being questioned because you have no good reason, that's why you play the project card over and over again.  And even that makes no sense. 

Just now, krunk said:

You're just sitting there making up stuff as you go along.   What exactly was Jack Doyle before last season?

He was nothing but a blocking back.   A role player, but you don't seem to have anything against him.

What body of work do you speak of?   You mean any number of times where he burned the defense for nice yardage and improved his blocking as he went along.   What exactly do you expect out of somebody who just learned the game?   He's no project, he's already showed enough to indicate he can play.  I bet you if we released him right now those teams like the Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans would be interested.  So would the Titans.    You're being questioned because you have no good reason, that's why you play the project card over and over again.  And even that makes no sense. 

Sigh.  TEs block and serve as outlets.  WRs average 20 yards per reception.  The fact that WR Swoope is 6'4 250 pounds and lines up next to the OT doesn't mean he isn't called upon to play more like a WR.

DA, Doyle, Coffman, and Ken Dilger are all "real" TEs.  They block and run more outlet pattenrn, occasionally surprising a defense with down field plays.  That's why they would never average 20 yards per reception...they aren't called upon to do so.

Swoope, Fleener, and Marcus Pollard were WRs who lined up at TE.  There is a difference in the roles that has been a part of the NFL for about 20 years.  I don't care for the role that the Swoope, Fleener, and Pollards are suited for.

There are plenty of teams who have those types of TE/WRs players so I'm sure that somebody might take a flyer on Swoope if cut.  That doesn't change the notion that I don't care for that kind of role player on an offense.

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why is it when somebody doesn't praise the person they are supposed to praise, it gets presented that they hate that person?   

I can't think of any reason why people on here would love Swoope based upon his body of work...  He's a nice player, a nice project, but the notion his job...even his role.....is safe is fantasy.  He's not an every down player.

I would have to disagree with you and based off this you are saying that Swoope might not be safe on our roster?  Or that his type of play is not safe in the league?  We had a very successful player who was exactly what you say as a TE/WR in Dallas Clark.  Not the best blocker but dependable with his hands and a great outlet.  I think Swoope could be pretty versatile for us and at little to no cost/risk.  Why would you want to get rid of yet another potential key match-up for the redzone?

As for the blocking and lining up next to OL as a TE/WR, they all are going to pretty much do the same.  In a two TE system you have one guy that can stay and help double or chip while t he other is more of an offensive option.  OR you have both chip and they both become options (redzone targets).  

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Sigh.  TEs block and serve as outlets.  WRs average 20 yards per reception.  The fact that WR Swoope is 6'4 250 pounds and lines up next to the OT doesn't mean he isn't called upon to play more like a WR.

DA, Doyle, Coffman, and Ken Dilger are all "real" TEs.  They block and run more outlet pattenrn, occasionally surprising a defense with down field plays.  That's why they would never average 20 yards per reception...they aren't called upon to do so.

Swoope, Fleener, and Marcus Pollard were WRs who lined up at TE.  There is a difference in the roles that has been a part of the NFL for about 20 years.  I don't care for the role that the Swoope, Fleener, and Pollards are suited for.

There are plenty of teams who have those types of TE/WRs players so I'm sure that somebody might take a flyer on Swoope if cut.  That doesn't change the notion that I don't care for that kind of role player on an offense.

Someone should tell Gronk that he needs to stop being such a WR. Pretty sure he blocks too.

Nobody expects Swoope to continue to average 20 yds/reception. But he certainly has the upside to average 13-15 yds/reception...which would put him the upper echelon of TEs...guys like Graham, Kelce, Eifert, Henry, etc. If you can't see the value in that type of player, especially in Chud's offense (where players like this have thrived)...then that's your loss.

As for your "real" TEs, DA and Doyle got contract extensions because they either made plays in the passing game (Doyle) OR someone thought they could make plays in the passing game (Allen). Coffman didn't...and he's unemployed.

And I will say it again...we don't know if Swoope can't block. He has only been a TE for half of a season in the NFL.

11 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

No, But he is 'average', and average fits ballard's criteria.

Average because we didn't blow the bank on one or maybe two players?  Three is a little unrealistic, but so far I would say he is filling spots with good depth and some young talent.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Why wouldn't you "care" for that type of player?      You noted he's a mismatch.     Isn't that a good thing?

By the way,  the reason he doesn't block more is that as a former basketball player,   he's been spoon fed the game more each year.     He'll get more blocking responsibilities this year.    I think I read that from either Ballard or Chud.

But since he's a weapon,  and a good one,  I'm not sure why this bothers you so much.....?

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Someone should tell Gronk that he needs to stop being such a WR. Pretty sure he blocks too.

Nobody expects Swoope to continue to average 20 yds/reception. But he certainly has the upside to average 13-15 yds/reception...which would put him the upper echelon of TEs...guys like Graham, Kelce, Eifert, Henry, etc. If you can't see the value in that type of player, especially in Chud's offense (where players like this have thrived)...then that's your loss.

As for your "real" TEs, DA and Doyle got contract extensions because they either made plays in the passing game (Doyle) OR someone thought they could make plays in the passing game (Allen). Coffman didn't...and he's unemployed.

And I will say it again...we don't know if Swoope can't block. He has only been a TE for half of a season in the NFL.

Which is exactly the reason why his roster spot is not safe.  Has played sparingly, and not been asked to block.

Yet many are convinced his spot is safe. 

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I would have to disagree with you and based off this you are saying that Swoope might not be safe on our roster?  Or that his type of play is not safe in the league?  We had a very successful player who was exactly what you say as a TE/WR in Dallas Clark.  Not the best blocker but dependable with his hands and a great outlet.  I think Swoope could be pretty versatile for us and at little to no cost/risk.  Why would you want to get rid of yet another potential key match-up for the redzone?

As for the blocking and lining up next to OL as a TE/WR, they all are going to pretty much do the same.  In a two TE system you have one guy that can stay and help double or chip while t he other is more of an offensive option.  OR you have both chip and they both become options (redzone targets).  

I'd rather have had Jason Witten in the 3rd than Clark in the 1st.  Witten was less of a deep threat but a bit better all around.  They were both drafted the same year, Colts drafted Clark in the 1st and the Cowboys drafted Witten in the 3rd.

Guys like Witten and Gronk and to a lesser extent Doyle, sacrifice speed and a little downfield threat ability, IMO, for more all around performance.  I don't recall Clark lining up as FB for example.  Gronk is a fast long strider but not really a quick burner guy.

Guys like Swoope are available every year.  TEs who are slow and cab block are available every year.  This TE draft class is deep, and lots of small-ish faster TEs are available.  I wouldn't expect the Colts to draft one, but if a real value TE is there at one of our 4ths, I wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted.

5 hours ago, twfish said:

This is what pisses me off. How many defensive players have been signed? 5 or 6? There's been 3 offensive signings (pretty much all depth so far) and a punter.... you have too add depth to both sides of the ball and he's been heavy on the defensive side obviously. It's comments like this that make it hard to stay so active on this forum. Like did you even think about any of the past signings or did you just see were bringing in someone too work out who plays on offense and get * off? 

Smh :facepalm:

haha I could care less how it makes you feel guy. I hate this visit because we just signed a TE and we were close to landing a WR and we did so why not go after another quality defender that's still available then a guy competing to be 3rd-4th TE. And how many of those defensive players are starting caliber? 2, and there's plenty of FAs still available that could impact our team that we can afford but were wasting our time on Mychal Rivera. I love the Kamar signing, I love a lot of other signing Ballard made and I even love Chris Ballard honestly but this move would make no sense to me.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why wouldn't you "care" for that type of player?      You noted he's a mismatch.     Isn't that a good thing?

By the way,  the reason he doesn't block more is that as a former basketball player,   he's been spoon fed the game more each year.     He'll get more blocking responsibilities this year.    I think I read that from either Ballard or Chud.

But since he's a weapon,  and a good one,  I'm not sure why this bothers you so much.....?

I like my TEs more like Jason Witten and Jack Doyle than Coby Fleener or Swoope or Clark.  Just preference.

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

BTW, I don't care about Coffman.  There are plenty of Coffman's around. Krunk mistakenly brought him up thinking that I was preferring him to Swoope last season.  

8 hours ago, Krauses said:

20th tight end what are your talking about we only have 3 tight ends on the roster. And this would allow us to not have to draft a tight end and focus on defense and  oline.

True, I just think there's plenty of defenders that could start and make an impact for us instead of a 3rd/4th TE. Also think he's not a very good blocker which is what we need at TE.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

You're just sitting there making up stuff as you go along.   What exactly was Jack Doyle before last season? He was nothing but a blocking back.   A role player, but you don't seem to have anything against him.

What body of work do you speak of?   You mean any number of times where he burned the defense for nice yardage and improved his blocking as he went along.   What exactly do you expect out of somebody who just learned the game?   He's no project, he's already showed enough to indicate he can play.  I bet you if we released him right now those teams like the Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans would be interested.  So would the Texans.    You're being questioned because you have no good reason, that's why you play the project card over and over again.  And even that makes no sense. 

I was at the Minnesota game last year where Swooped burned the Vikings  twice for long gains, once for a TD it was awesome.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Which is exactly the reason why his roster spot is not safe.  Has played sparingly, and not been asked to block.

Yet many are convinced his spot is safe. 

Gee, i watched him block, mostly in motion, and i was very pleased with the results.
 Sorry you weren`t paying attention.
  As we have watched Doyle improve his run blocking the last 2 seasons (pass blocking still a C) and his run blocking was highly effective, i expect Swoope to improve another step in blocking also.
 We should see Chud continuing to set up his players for success as he learns how to use all of them together.
  Give someone credit for all these 20+ yard catches on so few attempts. I`m actually impressed by it.
 Nice job Chud, Lucky, Project Swoope. Keep building on this!!
 http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/17091/erik-swoope

15 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I guess he's coming for a visit.

The kind of guy we could need if Doyle or Swoope is not ready to go opening day.

tamio82 says:
Mar 17, 2017 2:57 PM
Underutilized in Oakland, hope he lands somewhere that will give him some looks. Has to the potential to be a big playmaker if targeted.
I agree 100%, he was really underutilized and he has very good hands.

All the best to him.

3 hours ago, Tmoney said:

haha I could care less how it makes you feel guy. I hate this visit because we just signed a TE and we were close to landing a WR and we did so why not go after another quality defender that's still available then a guy competing to be 3rd-4th TE. And how many of those defensive players are starting caliber? 2, and there's plenty of FAs still available that could impact our team that we can afford but were wasting our time on Mychal Rivera. I love the Kamar signing, I love a lot of other signing Ballard made and I even love Chris Ballard honestly but this move would make no sense to me.

And you think the organization cares whether or not working someone out pisses you off?? The roster is made up of 90 players after the draft so we have to sign players too keep it up too 90 and you want competition in slim positions. IMO this was not a strong free agency pool at all. Most of the defensive players out right now are not great, don't fit our scheme, want too much money, don't want too be here, or we've spoken too them and we couldn't come to an agreement. You got entirely too worked up for someone who wouldn't cost alot. You know they work more than one person out a day Right? You also know there isn't a limit on free agents we can get as well Right? Just on how much we can pay them.

14 hours ago, Tmoney said:

You think you know who Ballard is talking to? Are you sitting in Ballard's office?

I highly doubt that Ballard or anyone else cares if you are *.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'd rather have had Jason Witten in the 3rd than Clark in the 1st.  Witten was less of a deep threat but a bit better all around.  They were both drafted the same year, Colts drafted Clark in the 1st and the Cowboys drafted Witten in the 3rd.

Guys like Witten and Gronk and to a lesser extent Doyle, sacrifice speed and a little downfield threat ability, IMO, for more all around performance.  I don't recall Clark lining up as FB for example.  Gronk is a fast long strider but not really a quick burner guy.

Guys like Swoope are available every year.  TEs who are slow and cab block are available every year.  This TE draft class is deep, and lots of small-ish faster TEs are available.  I wouldn't expect the Colts to draft one, but if a real value TE is there at one of our 4ths, I wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted.

Are there typically a lot of TE's that are small and fast?? No! There are a lot more larger blocking only guys who don't make it in the league because they are little quality. Smaller better athletes are harder to find and your crazy if you think otherwise. And if we are throwing names out there I'll take Shannon Sharpe or Tony Gonzalez any day as they go against your mold. Witten is solid but he is also far more versatile than your giving him credit for. Doyle is not close to Witten but does have some potential.