Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What are the Saints thinking?

BProland85

I've been hearing that if the Saints offered Butler a nice contract and the Pats don't match, then the Saints would have to surrender not their 32nd pick, but their 11th overall pick!! Why in the world would you give up that high of a pick for a 28 year old corner who I think is more a product of that New England system. If this actually happens the Pats are by far and away the luckiest franchise in history. 

If the Saints could somehow get Butler without giving up the high first rounder I like the move for them. To get a veteran player on defense since the clock on Brees is ticking etc. I get the logic here.

But, if they have to give up the high pick I don't like this move and then sadly I could not make fun of the Pats anymore for giving up all these picks in the offseason.

I like Butler but I don't think he is worth that much at all........

It is tough to repeat. It's a cliche thing to say but very very true. 

I also think the Saints are going to feel some urgency and they did fire several assistant coaches to end the season. In their division they have the Bucs, dancing and complaining Cam and the biggest chokers on the planet (Falcons). And that division seems to change with winner every year.

Still though it would be more wise of the Saints to try to swing Butler there without having to give up the high pick. 

Have you seen the Saints defense the past 3 years? 

Worst in NFL history. Their passing defense has gotten worse each year despite already setting the bar high on being horrible in 2014. 

We have absolutely zero playmakers in our secondary. Our best player in the secondary was Keenan Lewis a few years ago, who couldn't stay healthy and didn't quite recover from an injury. We overpaid Jarius Byrd who turned into a major free agency bust, and Brandon Browner was the absolute worst possible thing that could've ever happened to them. Our best player in that secondary last year was Kenny Vacarro which isn't saying much.

While I don't agree with going after Butler, he would be a major upgrade over anyone out there right now. 

These stories are quite inaccurate BTW. The Butler talk went on last week. it's been reported that the Saints would not trade their high pick, and would've only traded for him if it could've been in giving a 2nd round pick. At this point I doubt Butler becomes a Saint since he's also talking to Houston and NE wants so much for him. 

41 minutes ago, Jules said:

I also think the Saints are going to feel some urgency and they did fire several assistant coaches to end the season. In their division they have the Bucs, dancing and complaining Cam and the biggest chokers on the planet (Falcons). And that division seems to change with winner every year.

Urgency is definitely there. This is a win or bust situation for the Saints since Sean Payton's future with the team is on the line. Now that Fisher is out of the league, Sean Payton is the new "7-9 coach". Last year, Brees played lights out, had the absolute best season of his career since his peak in 2011, and we went 7-9. The urgency also is because of him. Brees isn't getting any younger. If they want to try and make one last run in the following years, they have to desperately get it together this coming season.

2 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Worst in NFL history. Their passing defense has gotten worse each year despite already setting the bar high on being horrible in 2014. 

Which reminds me...the trade years ago of Akiem Hicks for Michael Hoomanuwanui...made no sense. Basically traded a borderline pro-bowler on his rookie contract, under 30 years old, for a 3rd-4th string TE.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Which reminds me...the trade years ago of Akiem Hicks for Michael Hoomanuwanui...made no sense. Basically traded a borderline pro-bowler on his rookie contract, under 30 years old, for a 3rd-4th string TE.

They traded away Jimmy Graham before that, which is why they needed a tight end at the time. The Graham trade is what truly made no sense, and neither the Saints or Seahawks benefited at all as they both greatly miss their former players. 

4 hours ago, Synthetic said:

We have absolutely zero playmakers in our secondary. Our best player in the secondary was Keenan Lewis a few years ago, who couldn't stay healthy and didn't quite recover from an injury. We overpaid Jarius Byrd who turned into a major free agency bust, and Brandon Browner was the absolute worst possible thing that could've ever happened to them. Our best player in that secondary last year was Kenny Vacarro which isn't saying much.

While I don't agree with going after Butler, he would be a major upgrade over anyone out there right now. 

These stories are quite inaccurate BTW. The Butler talk went on last week. it's been reported that the Saints would not trade their high pick, and would've only traded for him if it could've been in giving a 2nd round pick. At this point I doubt Butler becomes a Saint since he's also talking to Houston and NE wants so much for him. 

Urgency is definitely there. This is a win or bust situation for the Saints since Sean Payton's future with the team is on the line. Now that Fisher is out of the league, Sean Payton is the new "7-9 coach". Last year, Brees played lights out, had the absolute best season of his career since his peak in 2011, and we went 7-9. The urgency also is because of him. Brees isn't getting any younger. If they want to try and make one last run in the following years, they have to desperately get it together this coming season.

You guys have the same problem we have unfortunately, that is your Defense stinks. Brees like Luck can both play outstanding and the teams still lose.

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I've been hearing that if the Saints offered Butler a nice contract and the Pats don't match, then the Saints would have to surrender not their 32nd pick, but their 11th overall pick!! Why in the world would you give up that high of a pick for a 28 year old corner who I think is more a product of that New England system. If this actually happens the Pats are by far and away the luckiest franchise in history. 

It would not be a good move for the Saints. Why sign Malcolm Butler when Seattle is open to trading a better player (Sherman) who may not command so much to acquire him? Also, the Saints could draft one of the top CBs in this draft at #11. This does not make sense.

Maybe the Vikes should trade Xavier Rhodes for that 11th pick...  Nah 

20 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I don't think you have to worry about this happening.

A deal can get done where NO would trade the 32nd pick for Butler. 

Butler and the Saints would have to agree to a tentative deal.    They present an offer sheet to NE.

The Pats sign Butler to the long-term deal that he wants with New Orleans,  and then the Pats trade Butler for the 32nd pick.     That's what they're saying on NFL radio on Sirrius XM.

As to New Orleans,  they need defense,  desperately.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think you have to worry about this happening.

A deal can get done where NO would trade the 32nd pick for Butler. 

Butler and the Saints would have to agree to a tentative deal.    They present an offer sheet to NE.

The Pats sign Butler to the long-term deal that he wants with New Orleans,  and then the Pats trade Butler for the 32nd pick.     That's what they're saying on NFL radio on Sirrius XM.

As to New Orleans,  they need defense,  desperately.

Exactly. Butler hasn't signed his "franchise" tag so right now there is no first rd pick to be had. NE doesn't really want to sign him honestly. They will...for sure...but they don't see him in their long term plans so they would rather get a 1st or settle for a 2nd instead of letting him walk next year and getting a conditional pick (maybe) for him depending what they do next year in free agency. Saints are as desperate as they sound. They have an aging qb in a division where the last two SB representatives have come out of...and it looks Tampa Bay may leap frog them too. Its win now....there is no window....its boarded up....they have to take a crowbar to this team now.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:00 AM, NFLfan said:

It would not be a good move for the Saints. Why sign Malcolm Butler when Seattle is open to trading a better player (Sherman) who may not command so much to acquire him? Also, the Saints could draft one of the top CBs in this draft at #11. This does not make sense.

Perhaps the Saints do both?? Trade their early second to NE and the late first to Seattle and still have their #11 to go out and get another defensive stud. The Cooks trade was a good move for them when Thomas broke out....they have the luxury now to make moves. I think they get the deal done with NE...but for their early second...they have more leverage. LOB II

8 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Is Synthetic Bogie?

Yes. He either changed his name, or got banned and created a new account. Definitely him though.

Edit: I'm pretty sure he just changed his name. He has the same number of posts as the Bogie name, and he wouldn't get them back with a new account.

11 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Is Synthetic Bogie?

Yeah he changed his name this year sometime. lmao 

He would get a kick out of this so @Synthetic I hope you see this thread again since I just notified you of it it I think and I never used this function before but it's super cool. 

On 4/1/2017 at 8:04 PM, BloodyChamp said:

Good...he's a big part of what gets me through the offseason lol!

Don't worry pal, wouldn't leave you to be isolated as the single lone Favre fan on this site. That would be cruel if I did that. 

On 3/21/2017 at 7:00 AM, NFLfan said:

On 3/23/2017 at 10:00 AM, dgambill said:

Perhaps the Saints do both?? Trade their early second to NE and the late first to Seattle and still have their #11 to go out and get another defensive stud. The Cooks trade was a good move for them when Thomas broke out....they have the luxury now to make moves. I think they get the deal done with NE...but for their early second...they have more leverage. LOB II

Well, Sean Peytont has publicly stated he's not giving up #11.  Malcolm Butler has not signed his tender ( that I'm aware of.)  and is not under contract. And teams only have until 4/21 to make offers and sign RFA's,  I doubt any team signs Butler as an RFA..  Question is, when, after 4/21/17 does Butler sign his 3.91 million $ tender?  If on April 30 or later, there's a very good chance he plays in New England again.  If he signs before the draft (4/22 - 4/26), then there is a possibility of a draft day trade of some sort that could be worked out.  No player can be traded unless he is under contract.

And Sherman is not worth a round one or maybe even a round 2 draft pick anymore.He's 29, and coming off a pretty down year (for him).  History isn't kind to CB's after 30 years of age.  Caveat Emptor.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Well, Sean Peytont has publicly stated he's not giving up #11.  Malcolm Butler has not signed his tender ( that I'm aware of.)  and is not under contract. And teams only have until 4/21 to make offers and sign RFA's,  I doubt any team signs Butler as an RFA..  Question is, when, after 4/21/17 does Butler sign his 3.91 million $ tender?  If on April 30 or later, there's a very good chance he plays in New England again.  If he signs before the draft (4/22 - 4/26), then there is a possibility of a draft day trade of some sort that could be worked out.  No player can be traded unless he is under contract.

And Sherman is not worth a round one or maybe even a round 2 draft pick anymore.He's 29, and coming off a pretty down year (for him).  History isn't kind to CB's after 30 years of age.  Caveat Emptor.

I'm not saying he is worth it....but what I'm saying is that you might as well go all in. You get a pass rusher early with the 11th pick. You take your NE late 1st and your early 2nd pick and if you can agree to a deal with NE and have them sign Butler through a sign and trade then you add Sherman with the other pick suddenly you have a formidable secondary which was a huge issue (they have some young safeties already) and for a two year window you got Brees to go after another SB. They might as well be all in.....this thing gets blown up and likely turns into the Cleveland Browns of the NFC South once Brees is gone....they've never had much success to speak of before him and likely won't after unless something special falls in their lap. What I am suggesting is just go all in. They made a blockbuster trade with Seattle once before....they likely don't have time with this current window to mold a couple young corner prospects. They are exactly the type of team that should make a move for one or both of these guys. I just don't see building this thing up like the Colts are doing is a possibility that the Saints have...or an option they should even employ. The money is probably the issue but if I'm them I rework Brees is contract and then go for broke the next 2-3 years. To get past Carolina and Atlanta and a young up and coming TB three teams with much younger and in their prime qbs they have to be all in. I don't see Payton hanging around for a complete rebuild. The other option of finding a young backup to mold and just try to get to 8-8 to finish out Brees career just seems like a waste.

Butler isn't going to be a Saint. This topic has pretty much died within the Saints community. 

For those suggesting Richard Sherman, NO...And us Saints fans do not want him either. He could easily be another Brandon Browner, cause I'm sure he isn't going to get away with his rough style of play once he leaves Seattle. We've been there, done that with Browner, not happening again. 

1 hour ago, Synthetic said:

Butler isn't going to be a Saint. This topic has pretty much died within the Saints community. 

For those suggesting Richard Sherman, NO...And us Saints fans do not want him either. He could easily be another Brandon Browner, cause I'm sure he isn't going to get away with his rough style of play once he leaves Seattle. We've been there, done that with Browner, not happening again. 

Wait......it can't officially be over can it be? Oh come on, we need stuff to talk about.:(

What about some funky draft day trade happening?

2 hours ago, Jules said:

Wait......it can't officially be over can it be? Oh come on, we need stuff to talk about.:(

What about some funky draft day trade happening?

I don't know what will happen come draft day with trades or anything. 

Rumors all around NOLA suggest the Saints are going heavy defense in this draft. 

8 hours ago, Synthetic said:

I don't know what will happen come draft day with trades or anything. 

Rumors all around NOLA suggest the Saints are going heavy defense in this draft. 

That would be the best decision they can make. We all know Brees will do fine, make great plays and keep the games competitive. He just needs a freaking defense again like years ago to close out. 

11 hours ago, RollerColt said:

That would be the best decision they can make. We all know Brees will do fine, make great plays and keep the games competitive. He just needs a freaking defense again like years ago to close out. 

If the Saints had a better defense, they would be in the playoffs. Last year, Brees' heroics alone won several key games, but we also lost some close ones where he played lights out and our defense couldn't get it together. It's a really shame, cause without Brees, this would be a 2-14 or 3-13 team. 

The secondary has been the most glaring issue the past couple years. We haven't had play makers in the back field, occasionally we can get a blitz going and our front can look decent every now and then.