Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BProland85

What are the Saints thinking?

16 posts in this topic

I've been hearing that if the Saints offered Butler a nice contract and the Pats don't match, then the Saints would have to surrender not their 32nd pick, but their 11th overall pick!! Why in the world would you give up that high of a pick for a 28 year old corner who I think is more a product of that New England system. If this actually happens the Pats are by far and away the luckiest franchise in history. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Saints could somehow get Butler without giving up the high first rounder I like the move for them. To get a veteran player on defense since the clock on Brees is ticking etc. I get the logic here.

 

But, if they have to give up the high pick I don't like this move and then sadly I could not make fun of the Pats anymore for giving up all these picks in the offseason.

 

I like Butler but I don't think he is worth that much at all........

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the Russians, they've hacked the NFL to help the Pats keep winning. 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't think NE repeats but thats just me. I don't care if I get disagreed with since we will see who is right come next January/February. lmao 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jules said:

I still don't think NE repeats but thats just me. I don't care if I get disagreed with since we will see who is right come next January/February. lmao 

 

 

I hope you're right fam. I'm getting tired of those guys. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is tough to repeat. It's a cliche thing to say but very very true. 

 

I also think the Saints are going to feel some urgency and they did fire several assistant coaches to end the season. In their division they have the Bucs, dancing and complaining Cam and the biggest chokers on the planet (Falcons). And that division seems to change with winner every year.

 

Still though it would be more wise of the Saints to try to swing Butler there without having to give up the high pick. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Have you seen the Saints defense the past 3 years? 

 

Worst in NFL history. Their passing defense has gotten worse each year despite already setting the bar high on being horrible in 2014. 

 

We have absolutely zero playmakers in our secondary. Our best player in the secondary was Keenan Lewis a few years ago, who couldn't stay healthy and didn't quite recover from an injury. We overpaid Jarius Byrd who turned into a major free agency bust, and Brandon Browner was the absolute worst possible thing that could've ever happened to them. Our best player in that secondary last year was Kenny Vacarro which isn't saying much.

 

While I don't agree with going after Butler, he would be a major upgrade over anyone out there right now. 

 

These stories are quite inaccurate BTW. The Butler talk went on last week. it's been reported that the Saints would not trade their high pick, and would've only traded for him if it could've been in giving a 2nd round pick. At this point I doubt Butler becomes a Saint since he's also talking to Houston and NE wants so much for him. 

 

 

41 minutes ago, Jules said:

 

 

I also think the Saints are going to feel some urgency and they did fire several assistant coaches to end the season. In their division they have the Bucs, dancing and complaining Cam and the biggest chokers on the planet (Falcons). And that division seems to change with winner every year.

 

Urgency is definitely there. This is a win or bust situation for the Saints since Sean Payton's future with the team is on the line. Now that Fisher is out of the league, Sean Payton is the new "7-9 coach". Last year, Brees played lights out, had the absolute best season of his career since his peak in 2011, and we went 7-9. The urgency also is because of him. Brees isn't getting any younger. If they want to try and make one last run in the following years, they have to desperately get it together this coming season.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Synthetic said:

 

Have you seen the Saints defense the past 3 years? 

 

Worst in NFL history. Their passing defense has gotten worse each year despite already setting the bar high on being horrible in 2014. 

 

 

Which reminds me...the trade years ago of Akiem Hicks for Michael Hoomanuwanui...made no sense. Basically traded a borderline pro-bowler on his rookie contract, under 30 years old, for a 3rd-4th string TE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

It's the Russians, they've hacked the NFL to help the Pats keep winning. 

I think it's more like Kraft has dirt on everyone and every team does their part for them to win, lol.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

 

Which reminds me...the trade years ago of Akiem Hicks for Michael Hoomanuwanui...made no sense. Basically traded a borderline pro-bowler on his rookie contract, under 30 years old, for a 3rd-4th string TE.

 

They traded away Jimmy Graham before that, which is why they needed a tight end at the time. The Graham trade is what truly made no sense, and neither the Saints or Seahawks benefited at all as they both greatly miss their former players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Synthetic said:

 

Have you seen the Saints defense the past 3 years? 

 

Worst in NFL history. Their passing defense has gotten worse each year despite already setting the bar high on being horrible in 2014. 

 

We have absolutely zero playmakers in our secondary. Our best player in the secondary was Keenan Lewis a few years ago, who couldn't stay healthy and didn't quite recover from an injury. We overpaid Jarius Byrd who turned into a major free agency bust, and Brandon Browner was the absolute worst possible thing that could've ever happened to them. Our best player in that secondary last year was Kenny Vacarro which isn't saying much.

 

While I don't agree with going after Butler, he would be a major upgrade over anyone out there right now. 

 

These stories are quite inaccurate BTW. The Butler talk went on last week. it's been reported that the Saints would not trade their high pick, and would've only traded for him if it could've been in giving a 2nd round pick. At this point I doubt Butler becomes a Saint since he's also talking to Houston and NE wants so much for him. 

 

 

 

Urgency is definitely there. This is a win or bust situation for the Saints since Sean Payton's future with the team is on the line. Now that Fisher is out of the league, Sean Payton is the new "7-9 coach". Last year, Brees played lights out, had the absolute best season of his career since his peak in 2011, and we went 7-9. The urgency also is because of him. Brees isn't getting any younger. If they want to try and make one last run in the following years, they have to desperately get it together this coming season.

You guys have the same problem we have unfortunately, that is your Defense stinks. Brees like Luck can both play outstanding and the teams still lose.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I've been hearing that if the Saints offered Butler a nice contract and the Pats don't match, then the Saints would have to surrender not their 32nd pick, but their 11th overall pick!! Why in the world would you give up that high of a pick for a 28 year old corner who I think is more a product of that New England system. If this actually happens the Pats are by far and away the luckiest franchise in history. 

 

It would not be a good move for the Saints. Why sign Malcolm Butler when Seattle is open to trading a better player (Sherman) who may not command so much to acquire him? Also, the Saints could draft one of the top CBs in this draft at #11. This does not make sense.

 

Maybe the Vikes should trade Xavier Rhodes for that 11th pick...  Nah 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I've been hearing that if the Saints offered Butler a nice contract and the Pats don't match, then the Saints would have to surrender not their 32nd pick, but their 11th overall pick!! Why in the world would you give up that high of a pick for a 28 year old corner who I think is more a product of that New England system. If this actually happens the Pats are by far and away the luckiest franchise in history. 

 

I don't think you have to worry about this happening.

 

A deal can get done where NO would trade the 32nd pick for Butler. 

 

Butler and the Saints would have to agree to a tentative deal.    They present an offer sheet to NE.

 

The Pats sign Butler to the long-term deal that he wants with New Orleans,  and then the Pats trade Butler for the 32nd pick.     That's what they're saying on NFL radio on Sirrius XM.

 

As to New Orleans,  they need defense,  desperately.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

I don't think you have to worry about this happening.

 

A deal can get done where NO would trade the 32nd pick for Butler. 

 

Butler and the Saints would have to agree to a tentative deal.    They present an offer sheet to NE.

 

The Pats sign Butler to the long-term deal that he wants with New Orleans,  and then the Pats trade Butler for the 32nd pick.     That's what they're saying on NFL radio on Sirrius XM.

 

As to New Orleans,  they need defense,  desperately.

 

Exactly. Butler hasn't signed his "franchise" tag so right now there is no first rd pick to be had. NE doesn't really want to sign him honestly. They will...for sure...but they don't see him in their long term plans so they would rather get a 1st or settle for a 2nd instead of letting him walk next year and getting a conditional pick (maybe) for him depending what they do next year in free agency. Saints are as desperate as they sound. They have an aging qb in a division where the last two SB representatives have come out of...and it looks Tampa Bay may leap frog them too. Its win now....there is no window....its boarded up....they have to take a crowbar to this team now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:00 AM, NFLfan said:

 

It would not be a good move for the Saints. Why sign Malcolm Butler when Seattle is open to trading a better player (Sherman) who may not command so much to acquire him? Also, the Saints could draft one of the top CBs in this draft at #11. This does not make sense.

 

Maybe the Vikes should trade Xavier Rhodes for that 11th pick...  Nah 

Perhaps the Saints do both?? Trade their early second to NE and the late first to Seattle and still have their #11 to go out and get another defensive stud. The Cooks trade was a good move for them when Thomas broke out....they have the luxury now to make moves. I think they get the deal done with NE...but for their early second...they have more leverage. LOB II

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.