Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts need to make a trade for Malcom Butler or Richard Sherman..

I think Butler can be had for a 2nd and he is a top 5 cb right now...Sherman possibly could be had for a 3rd or 4th.. New England isn't gonna pay Brown after signing Gilmore and they need picks as they've traded away most of their picks this year..With Brown and Davis we would have the top secondary in the league and give our linebackers time to sack the qb...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you mean Malcom Butler. Butler has a 1st round tender, correct? So we give up a 1st. Sherman doesn't really fit our man to man scheme. He's more zone with some outstanding safety's to help him. So I don't know how well this would go for us.

You mean butler and no he's s product of thier system nd gets beat with safety help waste of a pick...Sherman I doubt they're trading him where are u guys seeing this and also Sherman is twice as better than butler you honestly think 3rd/4th is gonna get him? Come on shippp I've seen your posts you know too much to want butler lol he's beneath Davis 

8 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I think Brown can be had for a 2nd and he is a top 5 cb right now...Sherman possibly could be had for a 3rd or 4th.. New England isn't gonna pay Brown after signing Gilmore and they need picks as they've traded away most of their picks this year..With Brown and Davis we would have the top secondary in the league and give our linebackers time to sack the qb...

Seattle will not even think about getting rid of Sherman for a 3rd or 4th. I think if he was available a team would give up a 1st or second for him. Like the packers, Jets, Bills, or someone now in need of a corner like us. He isn't the best fit in our system but for a 3rd round pick, I'd be happy to have a winner at corner. He's physical and we need that. But we won't get him. Nor Butler IMO. 

5 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Malcom Butler is a beast , well worth a 2nd round pick! Everytime I watch him he is making plays all over the field..We need a PLAYMAKER like him on this defense..

He has a first round tender,  why would the pats trade him for a second?

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Sherman makes about $11 mil per season. That's not alot for his position BUT probably too much for colts to add to payroll considering their position.

Id be ok with either Id love to have Butler though, he plays nasty which is what we need..We have the cap to do it either way. .I think we can contend now, why waste Luck anymore?

31 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I think Butler can be had for a 2nd and he is a top 5 cb right now...Sherman possibly could be had for a 3rd or 4th.. New England isn't gonna pay Brown after signing Gilmore and they need picks as they've traded away most of their picks this year..With Brown and Davis we would have the top secondary in the league and give our linebackers time to sack the qb...

Nuts

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Id be ok with either Id love to have Butler though, he plays nasty which is what we need..We have the cap to do it either way. .I think we can contend now, why waste Luck anymore?

Not disagreeing with you at all. Il love Sherman's swagger. I know we have cap room, but the reason we still have cap room is we don't want to spend. haha

Butler is better than anyone we could get in 2nd..Instant impact player, we would shut down the top 2 receivers on any team and IF we manage to get Zach Brown to cover tight ends we are gonna be legit..Not to mention the draft talent we will add as well...

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Gotta be AGGRESSIVE!!!! Look at the Patriots this offseason they are going all in after winning Super Bowl....I think it's because they fear us once we get this defense right they no we will be the team that can take em out...

The Patriots are doing it because Brady's at the end of his career.  They are not at all threatened by us.  

Also, I'm all for being aggressive, but just offering far lower consideration in a trade doesn't mean the other team will trade with you.  Patriots have a 1st round tender, why would they let him go for less than that?  Sherman is reportedly going for "serious offers" only and a 3rd or 4th is not serious.  

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

The Patriots are doing it because Brady's at the end of his career.  They are not at all threatened by us.  

Also, I'm all for being aggressive, but just offering far lower consideration in a trade doesn't mean the other team will trade with you.  Patriots have a 1st round tender, why would they let him go for less than that?  Sherman is reportedly going for "serious offers" only and a 3rd or 4th is not serious.  

Ill take Sherman but not for a 1st!

I'd love to get Butler for a 2nd , but I would be willing to trade next yrs 1 to get a young shutdown cb not even in his prime yet..Maybe Im biased but I love Butlers playing style he won the pats a SB because of it..I think he could give us and advantage no other team has of having 2 shutdown corners assuming Vontae is healthy and returns to form...

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

So lets roll with a rookie or melvin as our # 2??? Lets see how that works out?

they want a lot more for sherman than you said in the OP

we are going to have rookies or guys like melvin getting a lot of snaps next year.  this wont be a super bowl year for us unless a ton of bounces go our way, both figuratively and literally

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Ill take Sherman but not for a 1st!

That's the word on where his value is at.  Maybe late first, I've even seen multiple picks including a 1st.  I mean Percy Harvin, with all his baggage, commanded a 1st, 7th and future 4th.  I thought that was a bad deal at the time, but I don't set the market.  Chandler Jones went for a 2nd, Brandin Cooks a 1st straight up.  I jsut dont' think there's any realistic chance you land an elite corner for less than a 1st - ESPECIALLY when its a cornerback who is so scheme dependent.  

All anyone has to say is Nnamdi Asomugha or Darrell Revis and you should be terrified of giving up a 1st or more.

8 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

So lets roll with a rookie or melvin as our # 2??? Lets see how that works out?

A highly drafted rookie? Yes. We're not contenders this year, we need to draft a team for the long term. Trading for Butler already starts to de-rail those plans. Would much rather get a CB in this deep CB class in the 2nd round that is 21 or 22.

Here is all you need to know about Butler.

In the last year contracted.

Would need either extension or long term deal.

The Pats decided to give the long term money to Gilmore, which they could have easily given to Butler.

The Pats we're ultimately trying to get rid of Butler by originally offering him in the original Cooks trade.

The Pats tendered him at round 1 level, however based on everything I mentioned above, the tender was not based on the Pats thinking he was great, it was based on what can we get for him.

All this means that the Pats clearly do not think Butler is that good, so why would you?

He sucks. He may be better than our corners beyond Vontae, but no where near as good as the OP makes him out to be.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they want a lot more for sherman than you said in the OP

we are going to have rookies or guys like melvin getting a lot of snaps next year.  this wont be a super bowl year for us unless a ton of bounces go our way, both figuratively and literally

Or we go get legit guys to compete now....Why rebuild if u have Andrew Luck? Horrible philosophy. .

56 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Alex, I will take "Things That Will Never Happen, nor Should They" for $1000.

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Or we go get legit guys to compete now....Why rebuild if u have Andrew Luck? Horrible philosophy. .

we are rebuilding becasue grigson's roster was trash

a bottom 3 defense cant compete for rings.  im not convinced we have enough around luck on offense to make a real push either

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

A highly drafted rookie? Yes. We're not contenders this year, we need to draft a team for the long term. Trading for Butler already starts to de-rail those plans. Would much rather get a CB in this deep CB class in the 2nd round that is 21 or 22.

Butler and Sherman are proven commodities. .No guarantee we dont draft a bust at cb in 1st or 2nd..We better draft Reddick in 1st if we r smart period...

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Butler and Sherman are proven commodities. .No guarantee we dont draft a bust at cb in 1st or 2nd..We better draft Reddick in 1st if we r smart period...

Butler and Sherman are 27 and 28 years old. By the time we are contenders or Brady has retired, they'll be over 30. Not worth it. They will decline sooner then you think. Even Vontae is starting too already. I'd rather take a chance in the 1st or 2nd on a CB in this year's draft on someone that is 21. Or yes, get Haason  Reddick. 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Butler and Sherman are 27 and 28 years old. By the time we are contenders or Brady has retired, they'll be over 30. Not worth it. They will decline sooner then you think. Even Vontae is starting too already. I'd rather take a chance in the 1st or 2nd on a CB in this year's draft on someone that is 21. Or yes, get Haason  Reddick. 

We can still get the best CB in the draft, Desmond King in 3rd if we r lucky or pac man jones jr aka budda baker and still acquire Butler or Sherman...

28 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

How so? 

You don't trade a mid round 1st or a Second to New England for starters. They'll just trade it back into 4-5 more picks making them stronger and us, not so much.

two, butler is a product of the New England system, many teams have tried to grab players like that from New England and most never play as well or near the value given up for them again.

three: Sherman plays in a completely different scheme and outside of that scheme, I doubt he does as good. 

Four: We have a good opportunity to grab a player who potentially can help our pass rush out greatly which automatically improves our secondary 

five: both these guys are pushing 29/30, if they were younger, maybe consider it but being how both these guys have rings and are mostly just playing for more money, I'd rather have a hungrier player.

Six: you're still nuts

45 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

He is being shopped around now..

3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I don't see either of these guys being let go for less than a first. The only reason the patriots and Seahawks are open to this is because they know with an extra 1st round pick they can replace Sherman and Butler with one of the talented corners in this draft. 

I agree. Why would we give up something to let them get someone that is projected to be a star for a lesser salary and 3-7 years younger. If we gave up a second, I'd be okay with that. Not a first. 

20 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

You would be a terrible GM. 131d31e24a401a462f6f0ab700e72eef.png?t=1

Hand the roster over to jshipp23 and we'd be competing for the AARP Championship. 131d31e24a401a462f6f0ab700e72eef.png?t=1