Defjamz26

Not a Single Signing 30 years or Older

24 posts in this topic

Hmmm..Darius Butler is 31. :scratch:

 

I get what you are saying though. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Butler but having said that you are 99% right. Everyone else is like 26 or 27 which is good.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#BringbackGrigs

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Andrew Luck is already a vet. Where do the years go? 

Still only 27 but it doesn't seem like he's been in the league for 5 seasons. Time is flying by!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Margus Hunt turns 30 in July haha

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard also said he uses analytics.  All of these guys look like matches from querying a database of free agents that fit a range of criteria he is looking for.  It wont show you heart, but it will give you all the physical specs you need.  I find his approach interesting too.  Better get used to it, because this will be how he does things.  Nailing the draft being the most important. 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IinD said:

#BringbackGrigs

Don't, just don't.  I'm dealing with a lot in my life right now I can't have this on my plate too

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah for the most part this is true, and I like it.  I don't think there is anything wrong with signing one or two older vets just if they are good lockerroom guys, but overall the majority should come via draft or younger FA's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Everyone said:

Margus Hunt turns 30 in July haha

 

And Al Woods turns 30 next week. 

 

The roster has still gotten younger, no doubt.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The age just isn't relevant..we need 'better'..not younger

 

The draft gets you younger....

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Ballard also said he uses analytics.  All of these guys look like matches from querying a database of free agents that fit a range of criteria he is looking for.  It wont show you heart, but it will give you all the physical specs you need.  I find his approach interesting too.  Better get used to it, because this will be how he does things.  Nailing the draft being the most important. 

 

I love this whole post. Ballard using analytics and "matches from querying a database".:heart:

 

Sounds good enough and smart enough to make me happy. Go Ballard!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Ballard also said he uses analytics.  All of these guys look like matches from querying a database of free agents that fit a range of criteria he is looking for.  It wont show you heart, but it will give you all the physical specs you need.  I find his approach interesting too.  Better get used to it, because this will be how he does things.  Nailing the draft being the most important. 

He's taking the Moneyball approach it seems. Underrated guys for cheap that never got a real shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jules said:

 

I love this whole post. Ballard using analytics and "matches from querying a database".:heart:

 

Sounds good enough and smart enough to make me happy. Go Ballard!!!!!!!!

And I think the analytical thing is mostly for FA. Just because there's so much money involved. Better not to try and think with purely gut feelings because then you start really opening your wallet up. That's how they ended up with Spencer's Ware. Ware was a 2013 6th round pick by the Seahawks. He was cut August 2014 but the Chiefs signed him to a futures contract in December of that same year. Activated off the practice squad week 8 of the 2015 season. He just finished 2016 with 921 rushing yards and 447 rushing yards.

 

Based on his comments and how things were done in KC, I think his approach in the draft will be different. He has certain measurables he's looking for, but also takes what the coaches need into consideration. But I think he'll stick to the traditional football rules. He'll build up the trenches meaning he'll draft OL and DL early (Chiefs have recently drafted Poe, Chris Jones, Dee Ford, and Fisher high). Poe was before he got there though but I think he followed the model that Dorsey set. He likes athletic LBs who can cover and long corners. I think he's going to build a totally new look Colts team if given time.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chad72 said:

Hmmm..Darius Butler is 31. :scratch:

 

I get what you are saying though. 

I was talking more along the lines of outside FAs lol, but I guess. And Hunt turns 30 soon but he's a young 30 because he was taken in the 2013 draft. It's just that if my math is correct he was already about 23 around draft time. That comes from not going to SMU full time until 2009 but playing all 4 seasons. He's almost 30 but he'll be a young 30. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

The age just isn't relevant..we need 'better'..not younger

 

The draft gets you younger....

 

Generally in the NFL better is younger.  A lot of our problems on defense and really all over the team was because we had older players.  

 

Older players don't get better, they get worse.  Mike Adams is one of very few players who's best years where ahead of him past age 30.  But that is a rare exception to the rule.  Most players who are past age 30, their best football years are behind them with the exception of maybe kickers, QB's and punters.  

 

Younger players still have the chance to get better.  

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just to add, no one should be upset with Ballard. I know we should be moving on, but we should be upset with Grigson. If he had put more talent on the team through the draft, we probably could've went after a big name. If Ballard were to sign a big name for every hole we had, we'd already be in cap trouble. At seasons end we had holes at CB, OLB, FS, ILB, NT, and OL. You sign the top FA at each of those positions and that $60 million in cap is gone like that. I think these signings are necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

And just to add, no one should be upset with Ballard. I know we should be moving on, but we should be upset with Grigson. If he had put more talent on the team through the draft, we probably could've went after a big name. If Ballard were to sign a big name for every hole we had, we'd already be in cap trouble. At seasons end we had holes at CB, OLB, FS, ILB, NT, and OL. You sign the top FA at each of those positions and that $60 million in cap is gone like that. I think these signings are necessary.

 

To play devil's advocate, we don't have a lot to be excited about right now with Ballard's additions. Yes, we've added younger players, and there's reason for optimism. I'm with all that.

 

But there are questions with every single player added. None of them are actual difference makers. There are a couple starters with Sheard and Simon, and the rest are borderline starters, role players at best. And a punter, which was necessary (but not because of anything Grigson did or didn't do).

 

At best, Ballard has replaced older veteran starters with younger veteran starters, who might have the potential to do a little better in certain areas. I like Spence's athleticism, but we don't know that he'll actually be better than Jackson was. I'm fine with the move, and I prefer Spence for sure, but he's not even necessarily a starter at this point. We're no better at corner, maybe worse. So right now, our roster is younger. It's not necessarily better, especially in the areas in which we've struggled -- pass rush, pass coverage, run defense, pass protection.

 

I'm not complaining about Ballard, at all. But it's interesting to see everyone contrasting this offseason with Grigson's approach. This offseason so far reminds me of 2013, which was mostly a bust for the Colts, in hindsight. We added a bunch of veteran role players, none were expected to be difference makers, we were just filling holes on the roster due to the lack of talent. It's possible that Ballard's additions work out better than Grigson's did -- and let's hope so -- but we won't know for a while. So far, there's nothing special about what Ballard is doing, and his strategy really hasn't been anything different than what Grigson did under similar circumstances.

 

And there's still the draft, which we won't be able to judge for 2-3 years. Where he'll really set himself apart is if we get defensive starters in multiple drafts in a row, at which Grigson failed.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Superman said:

 

To play devil's advocate, we don't have a lot to be excited about right now with Ballard's additions. Yes, we've added younger players, and there's reason for optimism. I'm with all that.

 

But there are questions with every single player added. None of them are actual difference makers. There are a couple starters with Sheard and Simon, and the rest are borderline starters, role players at best. And a punter, which was necessary (but not because of anything Grigson did or didn't do).

 

At best, Ballard has replaced older veteran starters with younger veteran starters, who might have the potential to do a little better in certain areas. I like Spence's athleticism, but we don't know that he'll actually be better than Jackson was. I'm fine with the move, and I prefer Spence for sure, but he's not even necessarily a starter at this point. We're no better at corner, maybe worse. So right now, our roster is younger. It's not necessarily better, especially in the areas in which we've struggled -- pass rush, pass coverage, run defense, pass protection.

 

I'm not complaining about Ballard, at all. But it's interesting to see everyone contrasting this offseason with Grigson's approach. This offseason so far reminds me of 2013, which was mostly a bust for the Colts, in hindsight. We added a bunch of veteran role players, none were expected to be difference makers, we were just filling holes on the roster due to the lack of talent. It's possible that Ballard's additions work out better than Grigson's did -- and let's hope so -- but we won't know for a while. So far, there's nothing special about what Ballard is doing, and his strategy really hasn't been anything different than what Grigson did under similar circumstances.

 

And there's still the draft, which we won't be able to judge for 2-3 years. Where he'll really set himself apart is if we get defensive starters in multiple drafts in a row, at which Grigson failed.

Oh by know means am I saying that we hit the jackpot in FA. A lot of the guys are stop gap and aren't all-stars. I agree with you there. The excitement for me comes from seeing a change in philosophy and the continuation of one thing Grigson did right in FA. Like Grigson Ballard didn't throw ridiculous money at the "top" FAs, which is good. Unlike Grigson however, Ballard didn't throw a bunch of money at 30+ year old guys way past their prime. He isn't trying to forcibly fill holes. He seems content to leave the rest to the draft. It's just nice to see the Colts actually getting younger. And honestly just being younger makes us better already. Guys with fresher bodies, room to grow, and more gas in the tank. His strategy for filling holes is better than Grigson's IMO. Even if Sheard, Simon, etc...don't blow up it's better than handing starting jobs to 32 year olds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Unlike Grigson however, Ballard didn't throw a bunch of money at 30+ year old guys way past their prime.

 

Not really, though. In 2013, RJF was 27, Gosder was 28, Landry was 28, Thomas was 28, Toler was 28, Havili was 26, Bradshaw was 27, Walden was 28. The only older guys were Hasselbeck and Franklin. 

 

These signings didn't work out, but they weren't over the hill 30+ players.

 

Quote

He isn't trying to forcibly fill holes.

 

Grigson signed players who could start, while younger players got experience. Ballard's signings so far are intended to fill holes. I don't know how you "forcibly" fill holes, besides signing players you think can play. 

 

Quote

He seems content to leave the rest to the draft.

 

??? 

 

Werner, Thornton, Holmes, Hughes, were all intended to be starters eventually, and they all had more than enough chances to contribute. Grigson's plan was to fill holes in the short term (evident from contract structure, if nothing else) and hope for draft picks to develop into starters. Ballard's strategy in free agency so far seems to be the same.

 

Quote

It's just nice to see the Colts actually getting younger. And honestly just being younger makes us better already. Guys with fresher bodies, room to grow, and more gas in the tank.

 

I agree that getting younger is good. It's not necessarily better. That remains to be seen. 

 

Quote

His strategy for filling holes is better than Grigson's IMO.

 

So far, it's the exact same strategy Grigson employed in 2013. We'll see if it works out better.

 

Quote

Even if Sheard, Simon, etc...don't blow up it's better than handing starting jobs to 32 year olds.

 

Which didn't happen until Year 4.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Not really, though. In 2013, RJF was 27, Gosder was 28, Landry was 28, Thomas was 28, Toler was 28, Havili was 26, Bradshaw was 27, Walden was 28. The only older guys were Hasselbeck and Franklin. 

 

These signings didn't work out, but they weren't over the hill 30+ players.

 

 

Grigson signed players who could start, while younger players got experience. Ballard's signings so far are intended to fill holes. I don't know how you "forcibly" fill holes, besides signing players you think can play. 

 

 

??? 

 

Werner, Thornton, Holmes, Hughes, were all intended to be starters eventually, and they all had more than enough chances to contribute. Grigson's plan was to fill holes in the short term (evident from contract structure, if nothing else) and hope for draft picks to develop into starters. Ballard's strategy in free agency so far seems to be the same.

 

 

I agree that getting younger is good. It's not necessarily better. That remains to be seen. 

 

 

So far, it's the exact same strategy Grigson employed in 2013. We'll see if it works out better.

 

 

Which didn't happen until Year 4.

 

 

 

Oh sure,  throw facts in our face!!

 

Facts!     Facts!    Facts!     Facts!      

 

Boy, oh boy,  don't you ever get tired of facts?!          :peek:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • What is the title of your book?  
    • No true edge rusher. We need one.
    • That's like DEEP black.......if Ballard isn't blowing smoke about what he looks for in DB's.
    •   This is not a prediction of who will be taken in the first round.     If I was predicting,  I'd have Mahomes on my list.    I think he'll be taken in the first.    But he's not a 1st round talent for me.     Conley was on my list right up until about noon today.   These are my top-32 players,  for what little it's worth.     1.   Myles Garrett         DE        Texas A&M   Note:    Easiest pick of the list!   2.   Jamaal Adams       SS        LSU   Note:         Top-5 tape,  but not top-5 athlete   3.   Solomon Thomas     DE      Stanford   Note:       Football infant, just starting to play the game.    High ceiling   4.    Jonathan Allen          DT       Alabama   Note:    See Jamaal Adams;    Great tape,  but did not test like a premium athlete   5.    Leonard Fournette       RB       LSU   Note:     Runaway freight train.    Main worry is health;  often gets nicked up.   6.    Marshawn Lattimore      CB       Ohio State   Note:     Raw,  still learning.   Great physical tools and skills at a premium position.   High ceiling   7.    Ruben Foster                 ILB        Alabama   Note:      Character red flags galore,  but he's all over the field impacting every game   8.    Malik Hooker                  FS         Ohio St.   Note:   Another one-year wonder;  but plays center field and finds the football like Ed Reed   9.   Corey Davis                    WR       West Michigan    Note:  High ankle sprain has sidelined Davis during scouting season.   But those that I read/hear prefer Davis to Williams   10.    OJ Howard               TE          Alabama   Note:    Under-utilized in college,  but great physical tools   11.   Derek Barnett             DE/OLB      Tennessee   Note:     Three years of high level play in the SEC speaks for itself   12.     Christian McCaffrey        RB        Stanford   Note:    If used properly,  then he's a match-up nightmare.    If not,  could be disappointment.   Top flight WR skills plus return skills complete the package   13.     DeSean Watson             QB        Clemson   Note:   Winner.    Leader.     Competitor.     Needs a year (or more) of NFL polishing, but so do all QB's in this class.   14.    Haason Reddick              LB         Temple   Note:    Has anyone come farther, faster?     Can play outside or inside?    What do want/need?   15.     Forrest Lamp                    G          Western Kentucky   Note:   4-year starter, mostly at LT with short arms.     Will kick inside much like ND's Zack Martin.     Not often a guard is top OL in a class.   16.     Charles Harris                  OLB/DE        Missouri   Note:  Said to be a top-20 player on a number of boards including Chris Ballard.   17.     Mike Williams                      WR            Clemson   Note:   Not a good rout runner,  but great when the ball is in the air.    Great size.   18.    David Njoku                          TE             Miami   Note:    A late bloomer with surprising NFL skill set.   More split TE than in-line blocker   19.     Takk McKinley                      OLB           UCLA   Note:    Raw, but great attitude and tools.    Often compared to someone named......   Mathis   20.    Ryan Ramczyk                        OT          Wisconson   Note:    One year at Wisconsin playing at lower division school.   But did well for Wisconsin who know how to turn out OL's   21.     TreDavius White                   CB           LSU   Note:    Another multi-year starter from LSU     Highly competitive press corner   22.       Jarrod Davis                      ILB/OLB       Florida   Note:    Can play inside and out,  though most seem to see a man in the middle   23.     Mitch Trubisky                         QB           N. Carolina   Note:     Might be the best QB out of this class,  but I just can't get past only 13 starts when NFL teams really want twice that   24.      Dalvin Cook                             RB         Florida St.   Note:    Character red flags off the field,  fumbling and injuries on the field are keeping a once-top-10 talent much lower   25.     Cam Robinson                         OT           Alabama   Note:   Likely no more than average Left Tackle,  but might be a very good Right Tackle   26.     Marlon Humphreys                  CB           Alabama   Note:   The latest corner out of the Tide factory.    Great physical skills,  but very poor skills when the ball is in the air.   27.     Taco Charlton                          DE/OLB/DT       Michigan   Note:    One year of good production and did not test as well as expected gives some concern   28.    John Ross                                  WR                  Washington   Note:   4.22 is his calling card.     But two surgeries and a small frame worry scouts   29.    Kevin King                                  CB              Washington   Note:   6'3" frame and 32" arms and tested much better than expected.   Has forced scouts to reconsider what King can be   30.    Garrett Bolles                             OT                Utah   Note:   Smallish Zone Left Tackle with good feet,  but he's also 25 as a rookie.   31.      Quincy Wilson                         CB                  Florida   Note:   Zone or off-ball corner with great size   32.      Julius Peppers                          SS                Michigan   Note:   His diluted test not with standing,  he's great great talent and is considered a leader on the field.    With NFL coaching should settle into Safety plus returns skills.
  • Welcome New Members

  • Members

    • IkeAramba

      IkeAramba 6

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • backshoulderfade

      backshoulderfade 1,558

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • King Colt

      King Colt 664

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cdgacoltsfan

      cdgacoltsfan 206

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MFT5

      MFT5 170

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • GoColtsGo5150

      GoColtsGo5150 204

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • akcolt

      akcolt 1,867

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MPStack

      MPStack 797

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • AZColt11

      AZColt11 709

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ClaytonColt

      ClaytonColt 195

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.