Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New LBer corp

CR91

35 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

remember butler being a subpar corner & blossomomg here ... if Mingo at ILB puts it together he's a star 

Don't forget Miami also demonted Davis to their number 3 corner corner and we traded for him. He became arguably a top 5 corner for 2 or 3 years. The last 2 years he hasn't had great seasons but he has still been above average. I think Mingo will contribute well in our defense for a backup but won't be a star. 

Yeah John Simon I feel can be an impact player playing on a starters snap count. Had like 3.5 sacks last year and 5 the year before playing in like half of Houston snaps defensively (give or take).

With increased play, I could see him hit 6-7 sacks, which would be pretty good I think. Same with Sheard, who had 5 sacks despite being benched at times by Bill. If he stays healthy I think he'll return to his 2015 form where he had 8 sacks.

7 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I wanna see if Sheard can get to the QB or if it was just Belichick's schemes.

It is up to our defensive coordinator to have schemes as well. Belichick schemes according to his players and their abilities. It's not rocket science.

Simon has a high motor and plays hard to the whistle. I think he will have a breakout year. 

Sheard, Spence and Mingo are intriguing with lots of upside. so we will see but I am pretty sure our linebacking core is on the team right now. I dont see us taking a LB with 15 unless a superior one falls to us. I really think CB and DL are priorities in the the first two rounds but this draft is defensively deep so lots of players in our first four rounds have starting qualities, Lets hope Ballard and sniff them out

So far I haven't seen anyone discuss the possibility that our starters are not on the team yet.  Aside from POSSIBLY Sheard (and even he's debatable), all of our LB signings so far smell like ensuring that as a worst-case scenario we have serviceable backups.  I will not be at all surprised if a couple studs come out of the draft.  The FA signees are more than enough to at least hold down the fort while our rookies get their feet wet and take over as starters when they're ready.

Simon is my favorite of all the LB signings as far as future potential goes.  I like the Sheard, Mingo and Spence signings as all have value in regards to their contracts.  Indy has upgraded the LB Unit and my hope is a future stud at the JACK is drafted to develop behind Sheard as I view Simon as a SAM and Mingo as ST and depth at possibly all 4 LB positions.

On 3/24/2017 at 10:19 AM, Valpo2004 said:

What I'm curious about is since Simon and Sheard both have pass rush ability.  Who plays the Rush LB and who plays the SAM

Sheard is your pass rusher from the weak side....

Simon is your rusher from the strong side.

It should be a pretty decent 1-2 punch.     Perhaps not great,  but pretty good,  and certainly better than what we've recently had....

5 hours ago, bananabucket said:

None honestly.  They were necessary signings so we could field a defense, but I see most of them as stopgaps until we get some better ones.  Sheard can play the Walden role but we're gonna need to upgrade the other ones eventually.

I'd be pretty surprised to see Sheard in the Walden role, unless we get a day 1 starter at rush backer, which is entirely possible, and even desirable......  if we don't then I think Simon will be in Walden's edge setting spot...  Sheard the weak side.