Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sean Spence signed

gnet550

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like these free agent additions. We are giving a lot of young (promising) players, a chance to compete.

Again, there is no downside to these types of pickups, and they leave us completely flexible for drafting whoever we want to (BPA). 

I had him ranked #72 on my Big Board in 2012:

Sean Spence, Miami (Fla.), OLB, 5'11", 224, OLB43-WILB34, Sr, 4.58

He was drafted in the 3rd round (86th overall), but injuries derailed his career early on, and kept him from playing for two-years (2012-2013). 

"A third-round pick by the Steelers in 2012, Spence suffered a catastrophic knee injury in a preseason game in 2012. He tore his left ACL and LCL, dislocated the kneecap and reportedly damaged the nerve that helps control movement in the lower leg."

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/LB-Sean-Spence-Endured-Some-Dark-Days-on-Road-to-Titans/a0d5c479-66f3-42a2-8cc1-ac47582ee9e5

Just now, BlueShoe said:

I like these free agent additions. We are giving a lot of young (promising) players, a chance to compete.

Again, there is no downside to these types of pickups, and they leave us totally flexible for drafting whoever we want to (BPA). 

This is my philosophy 100% and I would give it 1,000 likes if I could. Well said!

He was a fantastic LB at UM. He's extremely fast, sideline to sideline type, and possesses great instincts. His lack of strength and size has made his transition to the NFL a little difficult but he's still very good in space and can cover.

I love this signing; the price tag is unbeatable.

Just now, ColtsLegacy said:

He was a fantastic LB at UM. He's extremely fast, sideline to sideline type, and possesses great instincts. His lack of strength and size has made his transition to the NFL a little difficult but he's still very good in space and can cover.

I recognized the name, and $3 million seemed really cheap. I think he'll get adequate playing time at the very least, if not being a starter. Just depends on if we get an ILB in the draft.

Interesting article from Miami Dolphins site in regards to Sean Spence:

http://nflspinzone.com/2017/03/17/miami-dolphins-sean-spence-could-fill-void-defense/

...For years the Dolphins have struggled in coverage against tight ends and running backs because they have lacked a strong cover linebacker. Their greatest effort to add one was Phillip Wheeler, who failed miserably in Miami.

However, there is still a linebacker just sitting out there who is a perfect fit. Former Pittsburgh Steelers and Tennessee Titans linebacker Sean Spence is an ideal fit for the Phins. Spence was a stud middle linebacker for the Miami Hurricanes in College and showed a ton of promise as a third-round pick in in Pittsburgh before wrecking his knee in the preseason of 2012.

It was likely he would never play again after he tore in ACL and LCL, dislocated his knee cap and damaged the nerve that controls the movement in his lower leg. Nevertheless, he persevered and has seen his level of play continue to drastically improve over the past few seasons.

The college standout has everything the Dolphins are looking for. He’s 26 years old and comes at a bargain price because of the injury. Tackling has never been an issue with Spence and, watching his film, he was 

outstanding in coverage last season in Tennessee in limited snaps. This could be the steal the Phins need to solidify their front seven. The cherry on top is that he’s a Miami kid and hometown hero.

On top of his tangible abilities both as a tackler and in coverage, he’s also a natural leader. His knee injury was a massive setback, but he’s now ready to peak as a professional football player and really hit his stride. His contributions could turn out to be immeasurable and the story could be incredible. The Dolphins failed to give him a look last year, but can’t make that same mistake in 2017.

It’s time for the Phins to bring in the hometown kid from The U. He fills their exact need and the price is right. Hopefully he’s on the team’s radar. Spence is good enough to be a starter on this team upon his hypothetical arrival in South Beach.

5 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Sounds like a nice pickup then, thanks. Is his run stopping abilities terrible or at least serviceable in your opinion?

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Interesting article from Miami Dolphins site in regards to Sean Spence:

http://nflspinzone.com/2017/03/17/miami-dolphins-sean-spence-could-fill-void-defense/

...For years the Dolphins have struggled in coverage against tight ends and running backs because they have lacked a strong cover linebacker. Their greatest effort to add one was Phillip Wheeler, who failed miserably in Miami.

However, there is still a linebacker just sitting out there who is a perfect fit. Former Pittsburgh Steelers and Tennessee Titans linebacker Sean Spence is an ideal fit for the Phins. Spence was a stud middle linebacker for the Miami Hurricanes in College and showed a ton of promise as a third-round pick in in Pittsburgh before wrecking his knee in the preseason of 2012.

It was likely he would never play again after he tore in ACL and LCL, dislocated his knee cap and damaged the nerve that controls the movement in his lower leg. Nevertheless, he persevered and has seen his level of play continue to drastically improve over the past few seasons.

The college standout has everything the Dolphins are looking for. He’s 26 years old and comes at a bargain price because of the injury. Tackling has never been an issue with Spence and, watching his film, he was 

outstanding in coverage last season in Tennessee in limited snaps. This could be the steal the Phins need to solidify their front seven. The cherry on top is that he’s a Miami kid and hometown hero.

On top of his tangible abilities both as a tackler and in coverage, he’s also a natural leader. His knee injury was a massive setback, but he’s now ready to peak as a professional football player and really hit his stride. His contributions could turn out to be immeasurable and the story could be incredible. The Dolphins failed to give him a look last year, but can’t make that same mistake in 2017.

It’s time for the Phins to bring in the hometown kid from The U. He fills their exact need and the price is right. Hopefully he’s on the team’s radar. Spence is good enough to be a starter on this team upon his hypothetical arrival in South Beach.

Love it! I agree, he can be a starter, hopefully for us! Steal of FA in my opinion! Nice way to start the day!

2 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

Sounds like a nice pickup then, thanks. Is his run stopping abilities terrible or at least serviceable in your opinion?

I think it will depend on 2 things.   If we dont upgrade the NT position to occupy the Oline men then he will struggle against bigger stronger guys.  If we have a Ngata type in the middle he will do well in tackling    Or second. He needs to get stronger and be able to shed those blocks 

Good signing. He could be a breakout player for us. Good in coverage, good tackler, 3 down LB if he's on his game. This may be his time to shine as a full time starter. Draft one of the stud EDGE rusher at 15, then an ILB in the 2-3 to start next to Spence and we're set

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Good signing. He could be a breakout player for us. Good in coverage, good tackler, 3 down LB if he's on his game. This may be his time to shine as a full time starter. Draft one of the stud EDGE rusher at 15, then an ILB in the 2-3 to start next to Spence and we're set

Don't forget we still have Ayres at OLB. And Mingo was signed to play inside IMO.    I think you have to look at CB in round one or 2 

2 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Don't forget we still have Ayres at OLB. And Mingo was signed to play inside IMO.    I think you have to look at CB in round one or 2 

Yeah but we need that big time superstar caliber EDGE rusher, and IMO this is the draft to take one. We have a top 15 pick and there's 5-6 big time 1st round EDGE prospects when you count Thomas. I think Takk, Williams, or Charlton one would be  the best player available at a position of need. As far as Corners, we can steal Lewis in the 3rd or 4th now and Ballard seems to be down with taking guys like him who fall.

He was ranked as the 10th best ILB free agent this year by bleacher report. Here's the write up about him:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2691726-nfl1000-free-agency-rankings-for-the-2017-ilb-market

10. Sean Spence

NFL1000 Scores 

Pass Defense: 17.2/25
Run Defense: 24.6/35
Pass Rush: 9.2/15
Tackling: 10.2/15
Positional Value: 6/10 
Overall: 67.2/100
2016 NFL1000 Inside Linebacker Rank: 50/65

NFL1000 ILB scout Jerod Brown

Sean Spence spent 2016 as the third inside linebacker in Tennessee, but he was often used in the rotation as the primary coverage ‘backer. Spence is solid in coverage, but he will have to demonstrate an ability to play against the inside run for an entire game.

The Titans often moved him over receivers and allowed him to play in non-traditional areas that hid some of his ineffectiveness against the run. Spence may never be a three-down linebacker, but there is plenty of value for a player like him in the NFL today.

Teams are moving toward three linebackers and using rotations that maximize the strengths of their players without expecting every player to be a well-rounded performer. A great example of this is the way that the Denver Broncos used linebacker Corey Nelson in the middle of the year. Spence will directly benefit from the changing player usage as someone that doesn’t do everything well but can hang in coverage and offers impressive athleticism to develop.

Where Spence fails to keep up with teammates Avery Williamson and Wesley Woodyard is in aggressiveness against the inside run. As teams would spread the Titans out and run inside, Spence lacked the physical presence to routinely take on guards. He managed to get lucky and win an occasional rep, but he was losing more often than not. As teams employ nickel defenders, linebackers have to be able to stop the run. Spence’s skill set is the reverse of what might’ve been able to put him on the field more.

Williamson and Woodyard hold the starting spots in Tennessee, but Spence may elect to stay and challenge one of the two for the playing time. The gap in ability between the three linebackers is relatively little, and the usage often depends on the team that Tennessee is playing. If Spence is willing to sign for backup money, Tennessee would be the ideal location for him to continue carving out a role that suits his skill set. Expect Spence to have a few suitors who view him primarily as an immediate backup and rotational player.

Doug's Quick Take

Teams want different things from their linebackers. Not everyone is a three-down guy, and with teams working to make sub-packages their default formations, a good pass-rusher like Spence who can work in coverage might have a few suitors. 

Potential Suitors: Tennessee Titans, New Orleans Saints, Kansas City Chiefs

Seems like he's good coverage/pass-rush linebacker, but doesn't do well against the run.

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sounds like competition. I still think we draft a LB early. But Morrison and Jackson are no guarantees to make the roster.

I think Jackson flashed enough to be a pretty good favorite for the final 53. Morrison could end up on the practice squad ?

43 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

I think it will depend on 2 things.   If we dont upgrade the NT position to occupy the Oline men then he will struggle against bigger stronger guys.  If we have a Ngata type in the middle he will do well in tackling    Or second. He needs to get stronger and be able to shed those blocks 

I think that you are on to something here: Ballard might want a big NT in order to take some run stopping responsibility off the ILB's, so we can go with guys that are better a coverage and maybe even pass rushing up the middle. It is difficult to get ILB that do it all well, so a big butt NT could provide flexibility to which ILB we choose (at least 3rd and long passing downs).