Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sidney Jones and Jordan Lewis

Two 1st round talents that have hurt their draft stock in the past week. A lot of media members have predicted Sidney to fall 2 rounds at least after tearing his Achilles during the last rep of his pro day. Not much out on Jordan Lewis yet but some websites have predicted him to fall all the way to the 4th or maybe even go undrafted due to the timing of the incident. I totally disagree with all of those opinions. Sidney was easily a top 20 pick before the injury, and although tearing your Achilles is never good it is not a career threatening injury. I think he goes mid to late 2nd round because eventually his talent will be to good to pass up even tho your red shirting him. Jordan Lewis has a very tough case to deal with. Domestic violence is obviously a serious issue in the NFL and it tends to scare teams off now more then ever but as of now it doesn't seem that Jordan did any serious damage. He has plead not guilty but just being charged will hurt him draft night. More evidence has to come out but as of now I can't see this guy getting through the 3rd round. 

All that being said, if I'm Chris Ballard I'd absolutely take both these guys back to back rounds. Sidney in the 2nd would * a lot of ppl off I bet, but when fully re-covered we have a CB that could potentially be a Pro Bowler some day. His medicals before the draft would have to at least be positive and moving in the right direction but finding a special talent round 2 doesn't happen often. As far as Jordan Lewis goes, I definitely want to hear more about the incident but it doesn't seem like he struck or hit her. He accused her of trying to ruin his life on twitter, but again more will come out and we will find out the truth. If he didn't do anything crazy to her he's the perfect 3rd round pick. He can play #2 while Jones rehabs and kick into the slot when Rashan Melvin comes in on nickel packages. Having 3 corners who can ball out is important in today's NFL and rn we have 1 ands he's on a decline

8 minutes ago, colts52761 said:

Take Kevin King instead

Idk about Kevin King tbh, his combine speed was amazing but his game tape speed looks suspect. He ran a hell of a 3 cone but on film struggles to transition out of his back pedal and get his long legs moving forward again. King would be much better in a zone scheme, we almost always run press man. 

If Sidney Jones drops to the 3rd, we could look a trading back a couple of places in round one of the draft and pick up an extra 3rd. Then go something like 1st Reddick ilb 2nd Willis olb 3rd Jones cb 4th Justin Evans fs. Then use our 3 4th round picks on a RB, CB and NT. 5th on a TE.

I don't like anybody's career hurt by allegations spoken before a trial.  I would assume Lewis falls but I would view this incident as an opportunity to get a good player with some risk attached, more so than something to avoid.  

Let's not forget that there are 31 other teams who hope certain players who are either injured or have personal problems fall to them in a later round as well.

Lots of teams try to do this.....     

Hoping to snag a player who has dropped is easier said than done....

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let's not forget that there are 31 other teams who hope certain players who are either injured or have personal problems fall to them in a later round as well.

Lots of teams try to do this.....     

Hoping to snag a player who has dropped is easier said than done....

Very true, that's why I want these guys a entire round higher then most. All 31 are praying for Sidney Jones to fall to them in the 3rd or late 2nd because he's arguably a top 10 talent. Even tho he may miss the entire year, when he comes back he'll play better then any other prospect available. Lewis, unless it comes out that he pulled a Joe Mixon, he won't make it out of the 3rd I would put cash down my dude. Everybody knows the talent he'd bring to that slot position and that won't get passed up so many times. 

7 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

2nd is too early for us to take him. When there will be starting healthy corners available. I'd take him in the 3rd though. 

I feel you, but that healthy guy won't be as talented as Sidney once he fully recovers. I think most teams will hope he falls to them in the 3rd and he'd ultimately go late 2nd or very early 3. If Conley is there or Monreau then I'll be on your side, but if Sidney is by far the best prospect on the board then I'm down to take him in the 2nd. 

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't like anybody's career hurt by allegations spoken before a trial.  I would assume Lewis falls but I would view this incident as an opportunity to get a good player with some risk attached, more so than something to avoid.  

He'll be the steal of the draft. Don't think this incident is anything but gf and bf getting into fight and it escalating. It hurts him, but whoever gets him will benefit

5 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I feel you, but that healthy guy won't be as talented as Sidney once he fully recovers. I think most teams will hope he falls to them in the 3rd and he'd ultimately go late 2nd or very early 3. If Conley is there or Monreau then I'll be on your side, but if Sidney is by far the best prospect on the board then I'm down to take him in the 2nd. 

Conley will be picked in the 1st round, as he should be. Fabian could definitely be there though, Awuzie, King, & Adoree also. Those would all be great picks. 

10 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Conley will be picked in the 1st round, as he should be. Fabian could definitely be there though, Awuzie, King, & Adoree also. Those would all be great picks. 

All great talents that id be happy to take, but in the back of my head I'll be saying Sidney will be better. Especially if it came down to those last 3, I'd take Jones.

42 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

All great talents that id be happy to take, but in the back of my head I'll be saying Sidney will be better. Especially if it came down to those last 3, I'd take Jones.

I just don't think us in particular(the colts) have the luxury of using a 2nd on a player that won't see the field the whole year. Not with our roster.  Especially when we only have Vontae.. JMO, I do love Sidney. He was my CB1. 

This draft has some really good CB's. It sucks these things happened, but IMO unless 1st round caliber players kill somebody or something crazy a team is crazy to not take advantage of it. Like we could get Mixon and Lewis in the 3rd and 4th rounds now. two 1st round talents who would immediately come in, start and upgrade our D. Jones is a different situation. Talent wise you cant pass on him in the 3rd if he's there. Let him sit this coming year out, and he along with Lewis would give us a killer cornerback duo for years to come. I mean you're talking about 2 elite prospects. Jones in the 3rd, Lewis, Mixon, with 2 of our 4th round picks. Then...All of a sudden we have the best draft in the last 5 years assuming we hit with our 1-2 picks. But yeah. We need to jump all over this opportunity. Its not like he's got drug problems and concerns about a Randy Gregory situation. He done whatever he done, and it'll pass. Then he'll ball out in the NFL. Some team, and it best be us is going to steal these 1st round caliber talents in the 3-4 range.

Also. For what its worth....JMO. But I think Kevin King is fools gold. Stanley Jean Baptiste 2.0.

Jones may not be the same player after surgery.  Trimming and repairing the Achilles tendon will shorten the tendon and "may" impact his explosiveness and speed.  I would  caution not to draft him until the later rounds (unless a summary of his surgery is made available). 

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I just don't think us in particular(the colts) have the luxury of using a 2nd on a player that won't see the field the whole year. Not with our roster.  Especially when we only have Vontae.. JMO, I do love Sidney. He was my CB1. 

You have a strong argument man we need immediate impact guys I'm with you, but I think any team down to the browns can afford taking a top 10 talent in the 2nd. Just for an example the Cowboys last year who had went 4-12 with plenty of needs took Jaylon Smith in the 2nd, and he looks like he might miss a 2nd season. Was he worth it we will see but there was no denying his talent and his injury was much more significant. 

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

This draft has some really good CB's. It sucks these things happened, but IMO unless 1st round caliber players kill somebody or something crazy a team is crazy to not take advantage of it. Like we could get Mixon and Lewis in the 3rd and 4th rounds now. two 1st round talents who would immediately come in, start and upgrade our D. Jones is a different situation. Talent wise you cant pass on him in the 3rd if he's there. Let him sit this coming year out, and he along with Lewis would give us a killer cornerback duo for years to come. I mean you're talking about 2 elite prospects. Jones in the 3rd, Lewis, Mixon, with 2 of our 4th round picks. Then...All of a sudden we have the best draft in the last 5 years assuming we hit with our 1-2 picks. But yeah. We need to jump all over this opportunity. Its not like he's got drug problems and concerns about a Randy Gregory situation. He done whatever he done, and it'll pass. Then he'll ball out in the NFL. Some team, and it best be us is going to steal these 1st round caliber talents in the 3-4 range.

Also. For what its worth....JMO. But I think Kevin King is fools gold. Stanley Jean Baptiste 2.0.

None of those guys last that long tho man. Joe Mixon is going mid to late 2nd I'd put money on it, he'll be the 5th back picked behind Kamara. Jordan Lewis is a 1st round talent and as of now the incident doesn't seem that serious so no way he lasts to the 4th, I'd thank god if he lasted to our 3rd. Sidney Jones IMO and most ppls is a top 10 talent, by the middle of the 2nd round the difference in talent between sidney and anybody else will be to big to pass up if I where CB. Good talent will be there but Sidney is dam special, take Jordan Lewis the next round and we add the best man to man corner in the draft and the best slot corner in the draft. Lewis will have to play outside a bit year 1 but he's shown he can at a high level. Either way I want to go double corner rounds 2-3.

18 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

None of those guys last that long tho man. Joe Mixon is going mid to late 2nd I'd put money on it, he'll be the 5th back picked behind Kamara. Jordan Lewis is a 1st round talent and as of now the incident doesn't seem that serious so no way he lasts to the 4th, I'd thank god if he lasted to our 3rd. Sidney Jones IMO and most ppls is a top 10 talent, by the middle of the 2nd round the difference in talent between sidney and anybody else will be to big to pass up if I where CB. Good talent will be there but Sidney is dam special, take Jordan Lewis the next round and we add the best man to man corner in the draft and the best slot corner in the draft. Lewis will have to play outside a bit year 1 but he's shown he can at a high level. Either way I want to go double corner rounds 2-3.

I don't know man. The way things are now, with no man getting the benefit of the doubt, and teams scared because of the media's reaction. etc. I think Lewis and Mixon fall to at least the 3rd. Even though Mixon was young and hasn't done anything since, and Lewis's situation wasn't too serious. Jones is different. He's an elite talent, and its FAR from a Jaylen Smith or even a Myles Jack situation I still think he falls out of the 1st anyways. I mean maybe he goes in the 2nd IDK. If I had to put money on it I'd say early-mid 2nd, but you never know.

20 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't know man. The way things are now, with no man getting the benefit of the doubt, and teams scared because of the media's reaction. etc. I think Lewis and Mixon fall to at least the 3rd. Even though Mixon was young and hasn't done anything since, and Lewis's situation wasn't too serious. Jones is different. He's an elite talent, and its FAR from a Jaylen Smith or even a Myles Jack situation I still think he falls out of the 1st anyways. I mean maybe he goes in the 2nd IDK. If I had to put money on it I'd say early-mid 2nd, but you never know.

Yea its no where near the same injury as those guys but it happened much later in the off season. I think he does fall out of the 1st but right about where we are he's ganna come off the board. Yea Lewis hopefully does fall to the 3rd, but I see Chris Harris ability in the kid and I'm sure some scouts do as well. Mixon tho I just can't see getting out of the 2nd, I think he's at least the 5th best RB on ppls boards and probably 3 on a couple. Some boards he's not even on but with so many teams openly saying they want him I doubt he falls past the Lions rd 2.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

You may be right, it remains to be seen of course.  But that size and speed and his game tape.  I would sure love to find out!

Just now, AZColt11 said:

You may be right, it remains to be seen of course.  But that size and speed and his game tape.  I would sure love to find out!

LOL. I mean everybody's wrong. I thought Kelvin Benjamin had bust written on his forehead, and a lot of us on here thought Derrick Henry wouldn't be worth a crap. And many, many more examples.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

LOL. I mean everybody's wrong. I thought Kelvin Benjamin had bust written on his forehead, and a lot of us on here thought Derrick Henry wouldn't be worth a crap. And many, many more examples.

I admit I didn't get all the hype for Adrian Peterson when he came out.

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

Yea its no where near the same injury as those guys but it happened much later in the off season. I think he does fall out of the 1st but right about where we are he's ganna come off the board. Yea Lewis hopefully does fall to the 3rd, but I see Chris Harris ability in the kid and I'm sure some scouts do as well. Mixon tho I just can't see getting out of the 2nd, I think he's at least the 5th best RB on ppls boards and probably 3 on a couple. Some boards he's not even on but with so many teams openly saying they want him I doubt he falls past the Lions rd 2.

IMO. Mixon is at least the 2nd best back in this class. Definitely top 3.

I think a little Chris Harris Jr. when I see Lewis. Maybe more Jason Verrett or a combination of the 2. Draft Tracker has Pacman as his comp. So Verrett would be another good one as their similar types. I think we need to double up on EDGE and CB with how deep the class is at those 2 spots. We can get a 2nd round caliber CB in the 3rd not even counting Lewis's situation, or Jones. Sidney Jones was my favorite corner in the class. I'd actually take him in the 2nd because when he plays. It's gonna be on. But people are mixed on my boy Mixon. Some say 2nd. Some say 4-5. I say 3-4 personally.

37 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

IMO. Mixon is at least the 2nd best back in this class. Definitely top 3.

I think a little Chris Harris Jr. when I see Lewis. Maybe more Jason Verrett or a combination of the 2. Draft Tracker has Pacman as his comp. So Verrett would be another good one as their similar types. I think we need to double up on EDGE and CB with how deep the class is at those 2 spots. We can get a 2nd round caliber CB in the 3rd not even counting Lewis's situation, or Jones. Sidney Jones was my favorite corner in the class. I'd actually take him in the 2nd because when he plays. It's gonna be on. But people are mixed on my boy Mixon. Some say 2nd. Some say 4-5. I say 3-4 personally.

Totally agree about Mixon, without the incident I think he's easily a top 15 pick and he might have gone ahead of Leonard. All of those are fair comparisons to Lewis that's why I'm all for taking him if he's there in the 3rd. And Yea bro bro it'll be tough taking Sidney rd 2 because we need immediate help, but if you think about it we basically have two 1st round picks next year one of them being a top 10 talent. Add in Jordan Lewis and that's 3 1st round talents out of this years draft. That would be franchise changing