Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BProland's Post Free Agency Mock Draft

It appears Ballard is basically done with free agency, with NT, CB, and ILB still glaring needs. Here is my updated mock draft that would greatly improve the roster for the future....

-Indy trades 15th pick to New York for their 23rd, 2nd round picks.

1st (via trade with NYG) - ILB Haason Reddick, Temple (Would give Indy a very athletic and much needed LB that can play all over the field, as well as add pressure on the QB on occasion. He'd be a perfect fit for what Ballard and Pagano have said that they want on defense, youth, speed, and athleticism.)

2nd - OG Forrest Lamp, WKU (He has drawn some comparisons to Zach Martin, and could instantly come in and stabilize the right side of the OL. Clark and Haeg would battle for RT.)

2nd (via NYG) - CB Gareon Conley, Ohio State (Long corner with plenty of upside, just needs some coaching up but could easily start sooner rather than later next to Vontae.)

3rd - OLB Tarrell Basham, Ohio (I really like this kid, and he has very good talent and ability to potentially be a double digit sack player. He's not under pressure to highly contribute right away with the signings of Sheard and Simon.)

4th - RB Kareem Hunt, Toledo (Fan favorite here, and would give Indy a young talent in the backfield to share touches with Gore and Turbin. Could end up being the starter midway through the season.)

4th (via NE) - CB Howard Wilson, Houston (Another long corner since Ballard likes drafting them, Wilson could compete for the 3rd CB spot right away.)

4th (comp) - FS John Johnson, BC (Gives Ballard a potential FS for the long term. Butler starts in 2017.)

5th - NT DeAngelo Brown, Louisville (Underrated NT prospect, just needs to get a little stronger and add some more weight without losing quickness.)

-Indy trades 2018 5th for early 6th round pick.

6th (via trade) - TE Jonnu Smith, FIU (Very talented receiving TE that just needs some added strength to help more with blocking.)

26 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

It appears Ballard is basically done with free agency, with NT, CB, and ILB still glaring needs. Here is my updated mock draft that would greatly improve the roster for the future....

1st (via trade with NYG) - ILB Haason Reddick, Temple (Would give Indy a very athletic and much needed LB that can play all over the field, as well as add pressure on the QB on occasion. He'd be a perfect fit for what Ballard and Pagano have said that they want on defense, youth, speed, and athleticism.)

2nd - OG Forrest Lamp, WKU (He has drawn some comparisons to Zach Martin, and could instantly come in and stabilize the right side of the OL. Clark and Haeg would battle for RT.)

2nd (via NYG) - CB Gareon Conley, Ohio State (Long corner with plenty of upside, just needs some coaching up but could easily start sooner rather than later next to Vontae.)

3rd - OLB Tarrell Basham, Ohio (I really like this kid, and he has very good talent and ability to potentially be a double digit sack player. He's not under pressure to highly contribute right away with the signings of Sheard and Simon.)

4th - RB Kareem Hunt, Toledo (Fan favorite here, and would give Indy a young talent in the backfield to share touches with Gore and Turbin. Could end up being the starter midway through the season.)

4th (via NE) - CB Howard Wilson, Houston (Another long corner since Ballard likes drafting them, Wilson could compete for the 3rd CB spot right away.)

4th (comp) - FS John Johnson, BC (Gives Ballard a potential FS for the long term. Butler starts in 2017.)

5th - NT DeAngelo Brown, Louisville (Underrated NT prospect, just needs to get a little stronger and add some more weight without losing quickness.)

6th (via trade) - TE Jonnu Smith, FIU (Very talented receiving TE that just needs some added strength to help more with blocking.)

I dont think Ballard is done with FA at all, we just had Aiken in he didn't sign but clearly were still active. Been linked to Zach Brown as well, I wouldn't be surprised if we get in on Hankins considering we offered Poe 5yr/60mil Hankins probably will fold for 8.5 per. And Haason Reddick won't be there if we trade back that far. Redskins Titans Lions Dolphins all have a huge need at LB and Haason will be high on all those boards. I say stay put at 15 and take him. Forrest Lamp is being compared to Zach Martin, so no way he falls to the 2nd but I wouldn't mind a guard here possibly Feeney. I'd rather take Conley in the 2nd tho he's a 1st rd talent who can also play the slot. Im not that high on Basham, I definitely dont see double digit sacks in his future. 

4 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I dont think Ballard is done with FA at all, we just had Aiken in he didn't sign but clearly were still active. Been linked to Zach Brown as well, I wouldn't be surprised if we get in on Hankins considering we offered Poe 5yr/60mil Hankins probably will fold for 8.5 per. And Haason Reddick won't be there if we trade back that far. Redskins Titans Lions Dolphins all have a huge need at LB and Haason will be high on all those boards. I say stay put at 15 and take him. Forrest Lamp is being compared to Zach Martin, so no way he falls to the 2nd but I wouldn't mind a guard here possibly Feeney. I'd rather take Conley in the 2nd tho he's a 1st rd talent who can also play the slot. Im not that high on Basham, I definitely dont see double digit sacks in his future. 

Where did you see that Indy offered Poe a 5 year $60 mil contract?!? If that's the case Poe was insane for taking the Atlanta deal for 1 year $8 mil. 

58 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I wouldn't mind if this happened but I don't see Lamp and Conley dropping that far in the second.

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

There may have been "talks" but I don't buy that the deal was actually offered to Poe. Or else he would be here right now. 

I think he took a chance in Atlanta believing he would have a big year to skyrocket his price tag next year. Plus it was a 5 year up to 60M deal. We have no idea how much was guaranteed. That might have been the sticking point.

23 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

There may have been "talks" but I don't buy that the deal was actually offered to Poe. Or else he would be here right now. 

That's why I'm like F him at this point. He took less on a 1 year prove it deal when we offered him the farm. He didn't want to be here

28 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

I think he took a chance in Atlanta believing he would have a big year to skyrocket his price tag next year. Plus it was a 5 year up to 60M deal. We have no idea how much was guaranteed. That might have been the sticking point.

I agree, I think it had to be a low first year that turned into a big contract based off of this year production. I didn't want him, I'm not impressed by his contract year play. 

In a draft this deep, it only makes sense to trade back. Even if it means trading back ONE spot in the 1st round for an additional 5th or 6th rounder, especially if we know that the player the trade partner is targeting is NOT the same player that we are targeting.

Here's my mock with no trades.

YOUR PICKS
1: R1P15
CB MARSHON LATTIMORE
OHIO STATE
2: R2P14
EDGE JORDAN WILLIS
KANSAS STATE
3: R3P15
DL JALEEL JOHNSON
IOWA
4: R4P14
EDGE TARELL BASHAM
OHIO
5: R4P30
RB BRIAN HILL
WYOMING
6: R4P37
LB ANTHONY WALKER
NORTHWESTERN
7: R5P15
DL NAZAIR JONES
NORTH CAROLINA

6 hours ago, Bottom Of The State said:

Notice you thought Deangelo Brown needs to get stronger. He benched 315lbs 21 times and squats over 600. Agility he needs ,strength doesn't appear to be an issue. We see a lot of Louisville down here. He would be a good late pick up. Like your draft.

Yeah, that would put him squarely in the 500+ lbs bench press area (without a vest).  Needless to say, that is fairly impressive.  I've been in the 400 lbs area and nearly had an aneurysm.

On 3/18/2017 at 8:17 PM, SDakColts said:

Yes....   but the way it's posted,  it's not clear WHO made that offer.

Does it even make sense that ANYONE made such an offer and he wound up agreeing to a contract for 1/8 with bonuses that could push it to 10?

Who turns down 5/60, even with low guarantees,  for 1/8?        No one.

I think that was the Poe camp trying to drum up business.....     it didn't work.

The two teams that knew him best,  KC and Indy,  had him in the facility and let him walk out the door and sign elsewhere?

What does that tell you?

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson

She was replying to someone asking if the Colts had offered and that was her response.  But the weird thing is when you copy and paste the link it comes up with the post below it talking about what the Jags offered.  But on her Twitter, if you scroll down to March 16th, it has the question about the Colts and that response about the 5 years, $60M being offered.  Something is screwy.  Check it out for yourself.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....   but the way it's posted,  it's not clear WHO made that offer.

Does it even make sense that ANYONE made such an offer and he wound up agreeing to a contract for 1/8 with bonuses that could push it to 10?

Who turns down 5/60, even with low guarantees,  for 1/8?        No one.

I think that was the Poe camp trying to drum up business.....     it didn't work.

The two teams that knew him best,  KC and Indy,  had him in the facility and let him walk out the door and sign elsewhere?

What does that tell you?

Click on the link in the tweet. She was responding to a Colts fan asking if the Colts made an offer.

Contract language can be a big snag for a player. I don't care if it is a 5 year 60 million deal or a 1 year 8 million dollar deal. I still believe Poe thinks he is worth a superstar contract, and took the risk and gambled on himself having a huge rebound year. Plus if he was going to accept a 1 year prove it deal why not sign with a contender, and try to get a ring while your at it.

38 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Click on the link in the tweet. She was responding to a Colts fan asking if the Colts made an offer.

Contract language can be a big snag for a player. I don't care if it is a 5 year 60 million deal or a 1 year 8 million dollar deal. I still believe Poe thinks he is worth a superstar contract, and took the risk and gambled on himself having a huge rebound year. Plus if he was going to accept a 1 year prove it deal why not sign with a contender, and try to get a ring while your at it.

I don't doubt that Poe might've told Josina Anderson this.

What I doubt is that it is, in fact,  true?     I don't think it is -- at all.    It's just not believable.   Not credible.   Doesn't make sense.   I don't think for a minute that we offered 5/60, despite what Poe claims.

And if we weren't weren't willing to make Poe a better offer than 1/8 plus 2 mill in incentives,  then I'm OK with that.     Neither was KC and they know him best.     So, while I would've liked Poe,  I don't lose a moment's sleep over not getting him.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:46 PM, BProland85 said:

Still, a 5 year/60 mil contract for a NT is top dollar for that position so I can't see him getting much more than that even if he has a big year. I'm actually happy he didn't sign with us since he's not worth roughly 12 mil per season. 

Plus he has potential back issues..... No Way, imo, he turned down anything near that.

Gareon Conley stock is rising after the combine and with the Sidney Jones injury. I like that you have a lot of defensive players, but I would be surprised if Conley isn't drafted in the 1st. I've seen him in a few mock drafts go as high as top 15. There will likely be 10 DB's drafted before our 2nd round pick. 

I love the trade down option this year, b/c it's a deep draft and our new GM would love to build through the draft.  While the deep draft would seem to limit the # of trade partners (who may prefer to sit pat and select in a really deep draft), the exception seems to be OL-deficient teams.  A playoff team like the Seahawks may want to trade up to get Forrest Lamp.  

Personally, I would love to parlay our 1st and 2nd into Kevin King, Joe Mixon, and Tyus Bowser, somehow.  I know many here expect those first two to be available rounds later, but I wouldn't be surprised if the both went in the 1st...