Sign in to follow this  
VocableLoki

Mike Wells Mailbag

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/20110/colts-furthest-theyve-been-to-being-super-bowl-contenders-with-andrew-luck-since-2012

 

In my mind, Wells contradicts himself in this response. If the Colts offense should get better this year and the defense can only get better in all likelihood, then shouldn't the team be better this season?

Additional factor: division appears to be much better.

 

Where they are on the spectrum of Super Bowl contenders, at this point in time, means little.  They are in the midst of a complete overhaul.  It will probably be two years before we fully appreciate  this fact.

 

Since Luck arrived, they have never been serious Super Bowl contenders.  True, they lucked out and made the AFCCG.  Unfortunately they lost 45-7.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I typically skip over anything written by Mike Wells, because it's usually 1400x1400_10970003.jpg

 

I have no clue how he's STILL employed by ESPN...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, i frequented espn less after reading his articles for a handful of months. Didnt know who he was until they brought him in. I go to ESPN for stats only at this point, and Wells is a big reason for that. Hes just not interesting...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" The simply answer is no."

 

That's all you need to know about Mike Wells writing capabilities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many people on here were saying the same thing before last season started and we didn't get better. Other teams can get better too and we still have many uncertainties to figure out before I feel comfortable even saying the Colts are a playoff team this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Many people on here were saying the same thing before last season started and we didn't get better. Other teams can get better too and we still have many uncertainties to figure out before I feel comfortable even saying the Colts are a playoff team this year.

This is one of the main problems that most people fail to acknowledge, that as we are or will get better (in this case), the other teams in our conference and division will be doing the same. Just in our division, The Texans are a QB away from being a competitive playoff team. The Jags are a QB and RB away. The Titans have both and are building their team well through the draft. They also have 6 picks in the top 75 to rival our draft. We have to hit in the draft next month just to stay relevant in a much improved division, let alone get ahead of everyone and win it. It's going to be a slow process. Only reason we have a chance with our roster the way it is is Andrew Luck and TY Hilton.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/20110/colts-furthest-theyve-been-to-being-super-bowl-contenders-with-andrew-luck-since-2012

 

In my mind, Wells contradicts himself in this response. If the Colts offense should get better this year and the defense can only get better in all likelihood, then shouldn't the team be better this season?

 

Wow, so many words and still he didn't manage to write anything... haha

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr Clueless said:

 

Wow, so many words and still he didn't manage to write anything... haha

IMO pretty much anything coming out of ESPN is a waist of time. What used to be the sports channel to watch is unwatchable now.

It has become face time and who can come up with what they think is the new catch phrase.

Sports reporting is secondary.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is one of the main problems that most people fail to acknowledge, that as we are or will get better (in this case), the other teams in our conference and division will be doing the same. Just in our division, The Texans are a QB away from being a competitive playoff team. The Jags are a QB and RB away. The Titans have both and are building their team well through the draft. They also have 6 picks in the top 75 to rival our draft. We have to hit in the draft next month just to stay relevant in a much improved division, let alone get ahead of everyone and win it. It's going to be a slow process. Only reason we have a chance with our roster the way it is is Andrew Luck and TY Hilton.

My point was more arguing what Wells wrote, he doesn't mention opponents but talks about our roster being worse. I don't see how that could be the case.

 

To your point: even if the Texans are a QB away from contention (which I don't necessarily agree with) that's still a pretty big piece they need to somehow acquire. Even if Romo lands to them: he's 37 and an injury risk.

 

The Jaguars haven't won more than five games since 2011, seems very generous to say they are two positions away. Given our success against the Titans, they still have more building to do. 

 

The division is better but with a better constructed defense we are still a good bet to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I like the assessment. I would personally include Mingo in pleasant surprises, the guy is all around the ball all the time, he is rejuvinated it seems with us after lackluster play in Cleveland and NE. I also would include Mack in pleasant surprises as i believe we have only seen glimpses of the REAL Mack attack yet due to the coaches not playing him, i understand we have a proven veteran RB on the team, after this season when Gore leaves im fully confident Mack will assume the number 1 role and become a top 5 running back in the league. Then lastly i would put the Oline in dissapointments, as you stated nobody expected them to blow anyone away but i personally dont think anyone expected them to be as bad as the have been either.
    • Geathers was having a great season last year under monachino before his neck injury I think he will be fine he needs to play more man to man.
    •   ^^^ ban this user!! ^^^
    • It was the only show I watched or listened to on ESPN. Now that they are no longer a team I will have no need to tune into ESPN at all.
    • I think you have done a very nice assessment of our teams progress and where we are right now.  Most of the teams improvement has come on the defensive side of the ball coming from additions and improvement from our young players.  The loss of Luck for the year and the hurried assimilation of Brissett to the lineup certainly has not helped the offense meet our preseason expectations.  I read where Doyle was second in the league in receptions among TE's before the Pittsburgh game.  A stat that blew me away actually.  Who knows what a healthy Luck and a better OL  would have done for Moncrief and the rest of the WR's.   I think you have to congratulate the coaches for this progress and continued improvement that we have seen from this team.  They have gotten better and that's what we are looking for.  It might be a lost season record wise but if you are looking at player and overall team development you have to be pleased with the great progress they have made this year.  No one is happy with the record but you can not ignore the overall improvements that have been achieved.  Everyone is looking forward to new coaches next year but this years staff has done some pretty impressive work teaching and improving the overall contributions of our players.  
  • Members

    • krunk

      krunk 8,264

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Coltfreak

      Coltfreak 555

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • crazycolt1

      crazycolt1 6,775

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • life long

      life long 200

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 100GFB

      100GFB 741

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • gspdx

      gspdx 103

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Derakynn

      Derakynn 1,214

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ar7

      ar7 235

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Redbull

      Redbull 4

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • richard pallo

      richard pallo 669

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active: