Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Wells Mailbag

VocableLoki

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/20110/colts-furthest-theyve-been-to-being-super-bowl-contenders-with-andrew-luck-since-2012

In my mind, Wells contradicts himself in this response. If the Colts offense should get better this year and the defense can only get better in all likelihood, then shouldn't the team be better this season?

57 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/20110/colts-furthest-theyve-been-to-being-super-bowl-contenders-with-andrew-luck-since-2012

In my mind, Wells contradicts himself in this response. If the Colts offense should get better this year and the defense can only get better in all likelihood, then shouldn't the team be better this season?

Additional factor: division appears to be much better.

Where they are on the spectrum of Super Bowl contenders, at this point in time, means little.  They are in the midst of a complete overhaul.  It will probably be two years before we fully appreciate  this fact.

Since Luck arrived, they have never been serious Super Bowl contenders.  True, they lucked out and made the AFCCG.  Unfortunately they lost 45-7.  

Many people on here were saying the same thing before last season started and we didn't get better. Other teams can get better too and we still have many uncertainties to figure out before I feel comfortable even saying the Colts are a playoff team this year.

7 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Many people on here were saying the same thing before last season started and we didn't get better. Other teams can get better too and we still have many uncertainties to figure out before I feel comfortable even saying the Colts are a playoff team this year.

This is one of the main problems that most people fail to acknowledge, that as we are or will get better (in this case), the other teams in our conference and division will be doing the same. Just in our division, The Texans are a QB away from being a competitive playoff team. The Jags are a QB and RB away. The Titans have both and are building their team well through the draft. They also have 6 picks in the top 75 to rival our draft. We have to hit in the draft next month just to stay relevant in a much improved division, let alone get ahead of everyone and win it. It's going to be a slow process. Only reason we have a chance with our roster the way it is is Andrew Luck and TY Hilton.

8 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

Wow, so many words and still he didn't manage to write anything... haha

6 hours ago, Mr Clueless said:

Wow, so many words and still he didn't manage to write anything... haha

IMO pretty much anything coming out of ESPN is a waist of time. What used to be the sports channel to watch is unwatchable now.

It has become face time and who can come up with what they think is the new catch phrase.

Sports reporting is secondary.

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is one of the main problems that most people fail to acknowledge, that as we are or will get better (in this case), the other teams in our conference and division will be doing the same. Just in our division, The Texans are a QB away from being a competitive playoff team. The Jags are a QB and RB away. The Titans have both and are building their team well through the draft. They also have 6 picks in the top 75 to rival our draft. We have to hit in the draft next month just to stay relevant in a much improved division, let alone get ahead of everyone and win it. It's going to be a slow process. Only reason we have a chance with our roster the way it is is Andrew Luck and TY Hilton.

My point was more arguing what Wells wrote, he doesn't mention opponents but talks about our roster being worse. I don't see how that could be the case.

To your point: even if the Texans are a QB away from contention (which I don't necessarily agree with) that's still a pretty big piece they need to somehow acquire. Even if Romo lands to them: he's 37 and an injury risk.

The Jaguars haven't won more than five games since 2011, seems very generous to say they are two positions away. Given our success against the Titans, they still have more building to do. 

The division is better but with a better constructed defense we are still a good bet to win.